4K Restoration of ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ Returns to Theaters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Cinephiles rejoice. In celebration of Lawrence of Arabia's 50th anniversary Blu-ray release on Novemver 13th, a 4K digital projection restoration of the 227 minute director's cut is being re-released in theaters on October 4th for what will probably only be a one night engagement.

Though participating theaters are not known yet, we do know that the presentation will feature an overture and intermission. Get ready for a true cinematic experience.

Watch the trailer, made especially for this re-release from the 4K remastered version of the film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/lawrence-of-arabia-trailer-david-leans-masterpiece-gets-4k-restoration/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 11
Hope it's coming to my neck of the woods.
post #3 of 68 Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 133
YES!!!!

I have seen a number of 4k theater releases... they are usually wonderful. I CAN NOT wait.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #4 of 68 Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
It's my favorite movie of all time. I hope it comes to my town or within driving distance. The bluray is an automatic buy no matter what.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #5 of 68 Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked: 11
Bladerunner1959, totally agree! I live in OKC and if it isn't showing here, I will *GLADLY* drive to Dallas to see this particular version "on the big screen" there. Can't wait for the Blu-ray to come out (I've delayed adding this movie to my collection expressly for that reason)--enjoy!
post #6 of 68 Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 44
Have seen LoA 3X in 70mm. When it first came out in theaters and 2X in NYC when it was restored. I doubt it will play in ABQ, NM in 4K. I am happy with my memories of those 3X and will buy it on BD when it is released. Been looking forward to LoA on HDM for 6+years.
post #7 of 68 Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
Wonder if my local Imax has a 4K projector in it??
post #8 of 68 Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I know mine does... I have seen a couple 4k movies. they look superb.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #9 of 68 Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

I know mine does... I have seen a couple 4k movies. they look superb.

What IMAX theater is that?
post #10 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 AM

Liked: 22
Anyone knows if this is true:
Quote:
A number of years ago some IMAX engineers - and I don't think IMAX ever let these guys out of their lab again -- did this wonderfully elegant experiment at the Large Film Format Seminar at Universal Studios Imax theatre. They showed this film they made that began with 2 rows of 2 squares: black white, white black, as if you had 4 pixels on the screen.

Then they started to double and double and double the squares. Before they got to 4K the screen was gray. Do you know what the means? There was no longer any difference between black and white, which is what allows you to see sharpness. It's the contrast that we see, not the actual information. Technically, the MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) was zero at 4K!

Quote from Creative Cow article The Truth About 2K, 4K and The Future of Pixels.
post #11 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomoneh View Post

Anyone knows if this is true:
Quote from Creative Cow article The Truth About 2K, 4K and The Future of Pixels.

That demonstration probably happened. (IMAX has never published what they wanted to demonstrate and why)
But as IMAX has been a all about high resolution and big screens. The purpose and conclusion of the demonstration from IMAX side was probably very different than what John Galt present. He only want to argue against the necessity of 4K and used any argument he can "cough up" to do so.

Example; his "love affair" with CCD sensors and arguments against CMOS sensors have by all camera makers shown to have no validity by the fact that all high resolution camera makers have ditched CCD for CMOS sensors.
Just see this as John Galt's attempt on saving some part of his legacy of influence in camera and image development where he certainly backed the wrong technology.

He has been doing this since 2004, and all his arguments has been thoroughly debunked both on technical grounds and in real life demonstrations with 4K cameras and 4K displays.

So the article "The Truth" About 2K, 4K and The Future of Pixels" doesn't have much Truth in it.

The the International Telecommunication Union, a United Nations agency, has just approved the UHDTV 8K format as the broadcast format of the future. If any of John Galt's arguments had any value we would not have seen 4K cameras, 4K TV's, 4K projectors or a 8K broadcast format.

Sadly, this article is posted regularly by people who think it has any value in the unnecessary 2K vs. 4K, >"2K is good enough" debate.
post #12 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 AM

Those in Melbourne Australia can see it in 4k at the Astor Theatre between September 23rd and October 8th. Not to be missed. The Astor uses Barco's top of the range 32B 4K projector so it should look amazing.

Cheers
Michael.
post #13 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

That demonstration probably happened. (IMAX has never published what they wanted to demonstrate and why)
But as IMAX has been a all about high resolution and big screens. The purpose and conclusion of the demonstration from IMAX side was probably very different than what John Galt present. He only want to argue against the necessity of 4K and used any argument he can "cough up" to do so.
Example; his "love affair" with CCD sensors and arguments against CMOS sensors have by all camera makers shown to have no validity by the fact that all high resolution camera makers have ditched CCD for CMOS sensors.
Just see this as John Galt's attempt on saving some part of his legacy of influence in camera and image development where he certainly backed the wrong technology.
He has been doing this since 2004, and all his arguments has been thoroughly debunked both on technical grounds and in real life demonstrations with 4K cameras and 4K displays.
So the article "The Truth" About 2K, 4K and The Future of Pixels" doesn't have much Truth in it.
The the International Telecommunication Union, a United Nations agency, has just approved the UHDTV 8K format as the broadcast format of the future. If any of John Galt's arguments had any value we would not have seen 4K cameras, 4K TV's, 4K projectors or a 8K broadcast format.
Sadly, this article is posted regularly by people who think it has any value in the unnecessary 2K vs. 4K, >"2K is good enough" debate.
I believe we'll benefit from 4K and even 8K. However, question remains - can all "4K" projectors really project 4K content clearly?
If above mentioned "experiment" happened and if screen really was gray from close up - it means that, on that particular projector - 4K content wouldn't actually be shown in its true glory.
I don't know what might be the reason for gray projection - color misalignment or something else but the fact remains that it couldn't happen on an LCD display.
post #14 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe we'll benefit from 4K and even 8K. However, question remains - can all "4K" projectors really project 4K content clearly?
Yes, in principle because they have 4K (aproxematly 8 megapixel) resolution.
But there are two different projection technologies that might make a difference in how good the reproduction is. Reflective LCD (Lcos>JVC & SXRD>Sony, RED laser projector) and DLP (Barco, Christie, Nec) both lamp and coming laser projectors, and IMAX's coming DLP laser projector (buildt by Barco based on an Kodak patent).

Remember; Displaying an image is the last chain in a long event starting with the motive and lighting of such, camera used and the settings used, post production and the correct treatment of the files (which are more often than not treated wrong for obtaining best quality, surprising enough), and the calibration quality of the projector and screen used (silver screens for 3D passive projection is derogatory to image quality) at the day one attends a screening.
Quote:
If above mentioned "experiment" happened and if screen really was gray from close up - it means that, on that particular projector - 4K content wouldn't actually be shown in its true glory.
I don't know what might be the reason for gray projection - color misalignment or something else but the fact remains that it couldn't happen on an LCD display.
We don't know the purpose of the demonstration or how high pixel count they got before the screen turned grey. Fact is that at some point the screen should turn grey. Same if they had used Red, Blue & Green pixels, the screen should at some point turn white'ish.

We also don't know how long ago this was.
Did they have a 4K projector?
Was it so long ago that it was the first Sony SXRD 4K projector (which was not very good)?
Was the whole purpose from IMAX to demonstrate how much better their Very High Resolution Film (quoted as 80 or 120 megapixel, depending whom you ask) and much superior to digital projection (and then you know how honest the demo results where), before IMAX later found that IMAX 2K projection was "good enough" to continue expanding the IMAX brand.

Much speculation, but that is the best anybody can come up with in response to John Galt's arguments.
post #15 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM

I agree with you and thank you for the info.
Quote:

Fact is that at some point the screen should turn grey.

However, if black & white checkerboard pattern is projected at native resolution (pixel one: R:0% G:0% B:0%, pixel two: R:100% G:100% B:100%, pixel three: R:0% G:0% B:0%...) screen shouldn't be gray at close up inspection. Pattern should be clearly visible.
purplestallion likes this.
post #16 of 68 Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Good news indeed!

LoA will be part of my BD collection, no matter what smile.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #17 of 68 Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
You can buy tickets now: http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/lawrenceofarabia.aspx

I don't see anything that would indicate that this will be projected in 4K resolution. Fathom Events seems to show stuff that is available on Blu-ray or is about to be. Most likely it is just the blu-ray. It would be great if I am wrong, but I am very skeptical at this point. I am sure the Blu-ray will look fantastic, but it is only 1920x1080 minus some of the 1080 for the black bars.
post #18 of 68 Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

You can buy tickets now: http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/lawrenceofarabia.aspx
I don't see anything that would indicate that this will be projected in 4K resolution. Fathom Events seems to show stuff that is available on Blu-ray or is about to be. Most likely it is just the blu-ray. It would be great if I am wrong, but I am very skeptical at this point. I am sure the Blu-ray will look fantastic, but it is only 1920x1080 minus some of the 1080 for the black bars.

I'm a little worried about this too. When they started talking about the restoration and a theatrical release, I felt sure that it would be a 4K presentation in theaters. I bought a ticket for the matinee at an out of town theater with a Sony 4K projector. It wasn't until a couple of days ago that I found out Fathom is handling things. I'm not even sure that they use the same projectors normally used to show a digital feature. I've read reports that they use the preshow advertising projectors instead. If that's the case, I may decide to stay home and wait for the BD release.
post #19 of 68 Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

It's my favorite movie of all time.

Funny, I would've thought that your favorite movie would be... I don't know... Blade Runner, maybe? smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #20 of 68 Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

This is the reply I got from Fathom:

So it's pretty much only those theaters that have a Sony 4K Digital Cinema Projector that will show LoA in 4K.

Does Chrisite or Barco even have working 4K projectors in theaters yet?
post #21 of 68 Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

So it's pretty much only those theaters that have a Sony 4K Digital Cinema Projector that will show LoA in 4K.
Does Chrisite or Barco even have working 4K projectors in theaters yet?

They have been selling Series-2 projectors since beginning of 2011.
How many of them are 4K equipped from the start only they can answer.
But all Series-2 projectors can easily be upgraded to 4K and Laser Light Engine.

Sony announced in April they had installed 13000 4K projectors worldwide.

Can't see that there is a reason to watch LoA in a Cinema that isn't equipped with a 4K projector.
Side by Side tests has shown that 4K DLP (Barco & Christie) match the quality of 70mm film.
Sony has never published a side by side, so nobody knows if SXRD is as good.
post #22 of 68 Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I was going to see the premiere in NYC, but at nearly $30, I am going to pass. Hopefully it will hot a 4k theater sometime after that.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #23 of 68 Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM

@coolscan - no reply to my last message?
post #24 of 68 Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:

They have been selling Series-2 projectors since beginning of 2011.
How many of them are 4K equipped from the start only they can answer.
But all Series-2 projectors can easily be upgraded to 4K and Laser Light Engine.
Sony announced in April they had installed 13000 4K projectors worldwide.
Can't see that there is a reason to watch LoA in a Cinema that isn't equipped with a 4K projector.
Side by Side tests has shown that 4K DLP (Barco & Christie) match the quality of 70mm film.
Sony has never published a side by side, so nobody knows if SXRD is as good.

Sony says they have over 10,000 4K projectors in the USA

Click on Sony Digital Cinema 4K Update - Spring 2012

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-mkt-digicinema-solutions-SonyDigitalCinema4KTheFacts.shtml
post #25 of 68 Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 AM

post #26 of 68 Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@coolscan - no reply to my last message?

Sorry. I didn't have much to add.
Quote:

I agree with you and thank you for the info.
However, if black & white checkerboard pattern is projected at native resolution (pixel one: R:0% G:0% B:0%, pixel two: R:100% G:100% B:100%, pixel three: R:0% G:0% B:0%...) screen shouldn't be gray at close up inspection. Pattern should be clearly visible.

You are right about "at close up inspection" and that "pattern should be clearly visible". But what I think John Galt referred to is a demo viewed at normal seating distance. When you move away from the screen so the pattern is no more visible the screen will turn grey.
post #27 of 68 Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Sony's projectors are largely responsible for the problem of 2D films projected via a 3D setup, dropping light output by 70%. AMC Theaters in NYC is in the process of dumping all Sony projectors because of this.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #28 of 68 Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM

From TDB
Quote:
Speaking of Sony, the studio has also set a 2-disc only Blu-ray version of Lawrence of Arabia for release on 11/13 (SRP $26.99). It contains the film and one extras disc - essentially Discs One and Two of the more elaborate 4-disc box set version also due that day (SRP $95.99).
post #29 of 68 Old 09-07-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by donottosmeok View Post

Bladerunner1959, totally agree! I live in OKC and if it isn't showing here, I will *GLADLY* drive to Dallas to see this particular version "on the big screen" there. Can't wait for the Blu-ray to come out (I've delayed adding this movie to my collection expressly for that reason)--enjoy!

My best guess would be that Tinseltown would show it here. Lately, they have been showing the classic films restored and rereleased by TCM. I would love to see the Lawrence of Arabia rerelease on the Moore Warren's gigantic IMAX screen but that would be a long shot at best. Of course, there's also the worst case scenario that they won't show it anywhere in the OKC metro. Wouldn't be the first time, would it?smile.gif
post #30 of 68 Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Here is the list of theaters that will be showing LoA for that one night (10/4/12):

http://www.fathomevents.com/upcoming/alllocations.aspx?eventid=1134
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Lawrence by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page