Why are movies so LOOOOONG? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 275 Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 157

I read this thread in one sitting and it took way too long to simply state...

• If there is part of a movie I don't enjoy it should be cut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 275 Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
why are discussion so LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG?

no really.
post #183 of 275 Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why are discussion so LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG?
no really.

Hey, at least this thread has been on topic for one hundred and eighty some-odd posts.

That has to be some kind of AVS record.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #184 of 275 Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Liked: 10
Movies are not necessarily too long or too short. But the attention spans of much of the current moviegoing public IS--- too short, that is!
post #185 of 275 Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 10
if a movie is good, than 2+ hours is not too long at all, but if it's bad, than i cant watch it even for few minutes.
post #186 of 275 Old 10-05-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by petar k View Post

if a movie is good, than 2+ hours is not too long at all, but if it's bad, than i cant watch it even for few minutes.
Precisely, I mean jeezus what a stupid meaningless thread. The moment I know a movie is good and it's got me hooked from the opening sequence which comes from long time of movie viewing experience and you know right away if it's special or not...like Limitless or Watchmen for instance I never want the movie to end. Why would anyone want a good thing to stop? And vice versa when it's a pooper you're thinking oh crap when is it going to end.

It's like that with everything. I love freaking mozzarella cheese, no matter how much you pile it on esp on any baked pasta dish I can't get enough it. But if there's even a speck of goat cheese in my salad I won't even touch the salad even if you throw away the little crumbles.
post #187 of 275 Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar k View Post

Precisely, I mean jeezus what a stupid meaningless thread. .

Yeah, but you posted. rolleyes.gif

post #188 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yeah, but you posted. rolleyes.gif
Have you heard of the philosophical question "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" If I don't say then who's going to point out that it's a stupid meaningless thread. You can't just assume everyone knows. wink.gif
post #189 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Precisely, I mean jeezus what a stupid meaningless thread. The moment I know a movie is good and it's got me hooked from the opening sequence which comes from long time of movie viewing experience and you know right away if it's special or not...like Limitless or Watchmen for instance I never want the movie to end. Why would anyone want a good thing to stop? And vice versa when it's a pooper you're thinking oh crap when is it going to end.
It's like that with everything. I love freaking mozzarella cheese, no matter how much you pile it on esp on any baked pasta dish I can't get enough it. But if there's even a speck of goat cheese in my salad I won't even touch the salad even if you throw away the little crumbles.

actually you made my point for me with your food comparisson.

Some foods are BETTER when there is only a small amount of it. I like Feta but if you dump a ton of it on a salad I won't like it. But if you sprinkle it then I'll like it. Also truffle oil, a little goes a long way. But too much ruins a dish.

So movie length is the same. You could get an average 2 hour movie and cut out 30 minutes of crap and you could end up with a much better movie. I don't understand why its so hard to follow the logic that a ton of movies are so long and bloated.
post #190 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Many of you are saying movie length has NOTHING to do with how much you enjoy a movie. Thats ridiculous.

Are you saying a 10 minute movie can be as good as a 2 hour movie?
Are you saying its okay for a movie to be 10 hours long?

Movie length is another variable that determines if a movie good or not. Bottom line is I've been noticing that lately so many movies are bloated and filled with crap. But these same movies have about 90 minutes of good stuff also. If they just got rid of the 30 minutes of crap it would be a well paced movie.
post #191 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

Some foods are BETTER when there is only a small amount of it. I like Feta but if you dump a ton of it on a salad I won't like it. But if you sprinkle it then I'll like it. Also truffle oil, a little goes a long way. But too much ruins a dish.
So movie length is the same. You could get an average 2 hour movie and cut out 30 minutes of crap and you could end up with a much better movie. I don't understand why its so hard to follow the logic that a ton of movies are so long and bloated.

It's very simple - many of us just don't agree with you. Movies are a highly subjective subject. I am really surprised you don't understand that.
post #192 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Yes.
Yes.

[/thread]

post #193 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
I've seen a 10 minute short that was absolutely wonderful. A lot can be said in just a few frames. You obviously are not a film aficionado....

Bobby 

post #194 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Plenty of short films are considered classics. You've just probably never sought them out. (Of course you insist Battleship can be "good" by a mere trimming of 30 minutes, so I guess we know where your tastes lie.)
Quote:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is effectively a 9 hour movie (theatrical cuts), and plenty of people have watched it all in one sitting at home. The Russian adaptation of War and Peace is another one that clocks in at 8 hours. Shoah, the Holocaust documentary, is 8 hours. Melancholia is 7.5 hours. All of which have had critical praise and are considered classics.

A movie can be pretty much any length if the filmmaker is skilled enough.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #195 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Plenty of short films are considered classics. You've just probably never sought them out. (Of course you insist Battleship can be "good" by a mere trimming of 30 minutes, so I guess we know where your tastes lie.)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is effectively a 9 hour movie (theatrical cuts), and plenty of people have watched it all in one sitting at home. The Russian adaptation of War and Peace is another one that clocks in at 8 hours. Shoah, the Holocaust documentary, is 8 hours. Melancholia is 7.5 hours. All of which have had critical praise and are considered classics.
A movie can be pretty much any length if the filmmaker is skilled enough.

problem is you are bring up the EXCEPTIONS not the rule.
There are exceptions to any rule.

10 minute movies. LOL.
10 hour movies. LOL.
Most movies of those lengths will not have any success.

A movie that has a good pace and does not have any parts that DRAAGGGGGGGGGGGG on is a big plus.

My point is this: Today's movies are filled with more crap then ever before. PERIOD. I can run down a list of dozens of movies that were made in the last few years that have too much fluff and crap scenes. And the trend seems to be getting worse and worse.
post #196 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FACT: A movie that is edited well (keeping out crap and fluff scenes from the final version) improves the quality of a film.

OPINION: More films than ever are not edited well.
post #197 of 275 Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

problem is you are bring up the EXCEPTIONS not the rule.
There are exceptions to any rule..

The rule is if you make a film well it can be as long as it needs to be. Most filmmakers that embark on "epic" films are skilled enough to do it. Most filmmakers that produce crap, bloated films won't ever try to make a ten hour film because they never think outside their box of making a fluff piece that is only aiming to be a hit at the box office. They never get out of making two hour crap, because two hour crap pays their bills consistently, and they're not in it for the art.

Editing is part of being a good filmmaker, but so is coming up with a good idea, casting it well, getting a solid screenplay, knowing how to shoot it, knowing how to market, knowing how to use effects, knowing how to put on a soundtrack.

That's a lot for even seasoned filmmakers who know all the artistry, and most filmmakers only develop a couple of those skills fully. So the majority of films aren't just crappily edited, they stink to high heaven all the way through. But again, it also depends on your definition of "crap," as some would find even a film like Battleship to be two hours of crap/fluff that needs to be ashcanned before it hits theaters, and some don't see any crap or fluff at all.

So you're going to get "bloated" and "crap filled" films from here on out because plenty of people don't see the "crap" as crap, and some see what you see as being good as being crap anyway.

Studios aren't designed to make "good" films all the time, they're designed to make films that make money, crap or no crap. As long as the dollars are there (and they are, more or less), they're still going to make films the way they make them, and people like you (and me, and everyone else) will have differing views on how much crap is in them (if any.)
Quote:
10 minute movies. LOL.
10 hour movies. LOL.
Most movies of those lengths will not have any success.

Most ten hour movies have had great success considering not very many are made. Certainly a much higher ratio of success over the vast majority of two hour movies (most of which flop or do mediocre.) And many ten minute shorts have launched many a career, and are more prevalent on the web than they've ever been. They don't get widely distributed because most people dismiss them before they even see them as they have a hard time thinking outside the box of "two hour movie." (You seem to be one of their number.) Most people watch movies as timewasters or entertainment, not for the art.

If you're solely defining success as blockbuster bucks, then you miss the point, as those short films and long-long films aren't competing against films like Battleship.

And again, when you say cut the fluff out of Battleship, that's a film that's so filled with fluff (come on, it's a popcorn flick, not high art or even LOTR level decent filmmaking that everyone can agree will stand the test of time) that no two people will agree on what parts to cut. Some like explosions, some like Brooklyn Decker in skimpy clothes, (remember, some would question your sexuality at the mere mention of axing the boobage), some like both explosions and a skimpy-clothed Brooklyn Decker. Because the film is aiming for the widest possible audience (which is primarily teenagers/young adults that like explosions and girls, as that's the demographic that most consistently goes to the theater or rents/buys in the critical first week), it'll have both, and it's all fluff. Battleship was never aiming for anything more than what it achieved. If you think it's somehow going to become a work of art, or even a good film by cutting 30 minutes, you'll never gain a majority consensus on that. At least not enough to score a box office like it did. It was a cheesy, blow-away-aliens-look-at-pretty-girls movie, something Hollywood has never had a shortage of, and no one will ever agree on what to cut (if anything.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #198 of 275 Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, maybe I was a bit harsh in saying that this thread is stupid but rather there is something else going on that I overlooked that takes precedence. Underneath it all this is that maybe you're not a true movie fan as you think you are. Any person who loves movies wouldn't be counting the minutes or be concerned with it .And if you want to stick with food as a comparison, a chef or foodie enjoys food and would never say things like I can only eat this much or that much and bring up any negatives. A person who loves to travel won't say things like flying to Europe is too long of a trip for me. Get where I'm going with this?

If you look at the title of the thread carefully and do some soul searching, it probably reveals more about your true self and what really motivates you. Conclusion: Movies are simply not your #1 passion...which is of course 100% absolutely nothing wrong with that.
post #199 of 275 Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

I don't understand why its so hard to follow the logic that a ton of movies are so long and bloated.

I don't understand why it's so hard for you to follow the logic that a ton of movies are so long and bloated according to YOU ONLY.

What's too long for you might be just fine for me, and the beauty of it: it goes both ways!
post #200 of 275 Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

FACT: A movie that is edited well (keeping out crap and fluff scenes from the final version) improves the quality of a film.
OPINION: More films than ever are not edited well.

well...proving a fact with an opinion doesn't quite cut it wink.gif
post #201 of 275 Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know, maybe I was a bit harsh in saying that this thread is stupid but rather there is something else going on that I overlooked that takes precedence. Underneath it all this is that maybe you're not a true movie fan as you think you are. Any person who loves movies wouldn't be counting the minutes or be concerned with it .And if you want to stick with food as a comparison, a chef or foodie enjoys food and would never say things like I can only eat this much or that much and bring up any negatives. A person who loves to travel won't say things like flying to Europe is too long of a trip for me. Get where I'm going with this?
If you look at the title of the thread carefully and do some soul searching, it probably reveals more about your true self and what really motivates you. Conclusion: Movies are simply not your #1 passion...which is of course 100% absolutely nothing wrong with that.

this is so funny. LOL.

So according to you a movie can NEVER be too long. A movie can NEVER be improved with better editing and cutting out some of the fluff. LOL.

Yes, a person may love flying to Europe but that does not mean they would want to LIVE there. You are dealing with absolutes.
post #202 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this is so funny. LOL.
So according to you a movie can NEVER be too long. A movie can NEVER be improved with better editing and cutting out some of the fluff. LOL.
Yes, a person may love flying to Europe but that does not mean they would want to LIVE there. You are dealing with absolutes.
Nope, you're missing the point. Yes, a movie can always be long...it's just that a real movie buff won't be complaining that it's too long as you are doing.

Again your title IMO says a lot. It reminds me of a old marriage couple nagging about stuff that they wouldn't in the beg when the passion and romance is strong. But when the honeymoon ends, the little things that didn't bother them before starts to be a nuisance. You know: why does she take so long to get ready, why doesn't he give me flowers anymore, why is she so fat, etc etc. Things are were tolerated begin to be bothersome.

I bet 10-20 yrs ago you never thought "why are movies so LOOOOONG? that is my point ok. You lost your love for movies, it's no longer something you''re really passionate about. That's the real underlying thing.
post #203 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope, you're missing the point. Yes, a movie can always be long...it's just that a real movie buff won't be complaining that it's too long as you are doing.
Again your title IMO says a lot. It reminds me of a old marriage couple nagging about stuff that they wouldn't in the beg when the passion and romance is strong. But when the honeymoon ends, the little things that didn't bother them before starts to be a nuisance. You know: why does she take so long to get ready, why doesn't he give me flowers anymore, why is she so fat, etc etc. Things are were tolerated begin to be bothersome.
I bet 10-20 yrs ago you never thought "why are movies so LOOOOONG? that is my point ok. You lost your love for movies, it's no longer something you''re really passionate about. That's the real underlying thing.

Thank you Mr Mind reader. So now you can read my mine. Awesome!

So are you saying movies today all have PERFECT editing and don't have any fluff in them? LOL.
There is more fluff/filler in movies now than ever before.
post #204 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

read this article:
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2009/09/why_are_movies_today_so_very_l.html

it makes many good points about the longness of movies.

"Watchmen," at 156 minutes. "Transformers 2: The Rise of the Fallen" at 147 minutes. "Funny People" at 140 minutes. "Inglourious Basterds" at 153 minutes. "Public Enemies" at 143 minutes. Even "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" -- "G.I. Joe"! -- clocked in at 118 minutes.

By comparison, last year's Oscar smash, "Slumdog Millionaire," needed just 121 minutes to tell an intricate story spanning decades. "No Country for Old Men," the previous winner, ran a taut 122 minutes. Most of Hollywood's Golden Age classics -- the 119-minute "Citizen Kane," the 102-minute "Casablanca" -- were even briefer.

BAM. I have no idea why you and Mr Steward follow me around to tell me I'm wrong.
post #205 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Liked: 44
Top 5 BO earning movies (domestic):

1. Avatar - 160 minutes

2. Titanic - 194 minutes

3. Marvel's The Avengers - 144 minutes

4. The Dark Knight - 150 minutes

5. Star Wars:Episode I - The Phantom Menace - 133 minutes

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm
post #206 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Lawrence of Arabia - 210 min
Gone With the Wind - 238 min
Cleopatra - 192 min
Spartacus - 184 min
Ben-Hur - 212 min
Braveheart - 177 min

I could go on and on, but it is soooooo loooongggg.... smile.gif

Bobby 

post #207 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Lawrence of Arabia - 210 min
Gone With the Wind - 238 min
Cleopatra - 192 min
Spartacus - 184 min
Ben-Hur - 212 min
Braveheart - 177 min
I could go on and on, but it is soooooo loooongggg.... smile.gif

read the article i posted a few posts above.

I NEVER SAID NO MOVIE SHOULD BE LONG.
JUST READ THE ARTICLE.
PERIOD.
post #208 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah, I'm just gonna put you on ignore. You're a pot stirrer IMHO....

Bobby 

post #209 of 275 Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Nah, I'm just gonna put you on ignore. You're a pot stirrer IMHO....

classic close minded attitude.
post #210 of 275 Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 21
Long movies are great! Otherwise whats the difference between them and the everyday serials you see?
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , Transformers Blu Ray , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Matrix
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page