'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' Gets One-night Engagement in Theaters for 30th Anniversary - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

In anticipation of its upcoming Blu-ray release on 10/9 as well as the film's 30th anniversary, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is returning to theaters for one night only: 

Quote:
TCM Presents ‘E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial’ 30th Anniversary Event” will take place Wednesday, October 3 at 7:00 p.m. local time, with special matinee screenings in select theaters at 2:00 p.m. local time. Presented by NCM® Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and Universal Pictures as part of the studio's 100th Anniversary celebration, the event features the all-new, digitally remastered feature film, as well as a special taped introduction by TCM host Ben Mankiewicz, who will take audiences through the making of this modern classic. Fans will discover how Spielberg came up with the idea for “E.T.” and learn what working on the film was like for the film’s three young stars. As an added treat, Drew Barrymore, who plays Gertie in the film and who currently co-hosts TCM’s “The Essentials” showcase, shares what the film means to her 30 years later.

http://movieline.com/2012/09/10/e-t-extraterrestrial-spielberg-theaters-bluray/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I really hope they do a theatre release here in Canada. I was only 2 when the movie came out.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From the movie line website:

"I'm not a huge fan of these simultaneous digital projection events, but it could be a very special big screen first-viewing for parents with tots of their own. I mean, it's E.T.! Tickets and more info here."

Questions and thoughts:

Does each theater have it's own digital copy or is this truly some sort of simulcast? If the latter, how does that affect quality?

Won't the making of stuff at the beginning kinda be a HUGE spoiler for the tots who haven't seen it yet? Half of the fun of the movie was not knowing what ET looked like right away, hearing the music as it evolved, etc. Sure you might see him on the new posters (a mistake in my opinion - the original poster only showed little more than his hand. ), but that's different than seeing him on film. You'd think Spielberg would have thought of this, but how do you do a making of without giving away some story, sets, music, themes, images? Might have to have the kids wait in the hallway....frown.gif

They better not do some lame 3D conversion. mad.gif
post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know any more info about the pre-show spoiler?
post #5 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post

I really hope they do a theatre release here in Canada. I was only 2 when the movie came out.

I won't be able to watch it in the theater neither as it won't be available where I live, that's really really a pity!!
OMG, this is one of my favorites, as well as A.I., I desperately want to watch it on the big screen once. mad.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Here's something you won't hear often...E.T.'s mom was at our wedding! Dee Wallace was a good friend of my wife's, and was indeed present at our nuptials (in 1972!) Very nice lady, gave us a wedding present that we use to this day. Good times!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Here's something you won't hear often...E.T.'s mom was at our wedding! Dee Wallace was a good friend of my wife's, and was indeed present at our nuptials (in 1972!) Very nice lady, gave us a wedding present that we use to this day. Good times!

Wow, your story is just as sweet as the movie itself. smile.gif
Nostalgic as it is to me when re-watch the classics years or even decades later, makes me feel cozy.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Will this be 4k too? I have booked Oct 3rd for ET and 4th for LOA:)
post #9 of 10 Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Will this be 4k too? I have booked Oct 3rd for ET and 4th for LOA:)

AFAIK, no. E.T will be only in HD:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/spielbergs-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-back-in-theaters-on-october-3rd/
post #10 of 10 Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

So...I went with the family. There were many spoilers pre-show. Commercials, interview, etc. Also, the streaming quality was pretty bad. Audio sounded 3.1 at best. Still a fun experience. The quality of the movie outweighed the quality of the broadcast. Can't wait to get it on Bluray. Should blow away the simulcast version.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page