Finding Nemo 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I noticed there is no chatter here for this classic. No likee 3D? Releases to theaters - September 14, 2012

Quote:
Chances are you already know and love "Finding Nemo." You also probably already own a copy of it in your DVD collection. So why revisit it again on the big screen? Here are a few good reasons.

First off, even though you may remember it, your kids or kids you know may not remember it. I showed it to my sons who are 10 and 7 several times over the years, but they actually forgot almost everything about it. For them, this was pretty much a completely new movie. My younger kid almost dove into my lap when the barracuda attacked Pearl at the beginning of the film. So for me, just seeing their reactions to it made the trip to the theater worthwhile.

But an even bigger incentive to see it again is for the 3D effect. If any movie was ever made for 3D, it's "Finding Nemo." As the fish float on the screen, they literally hover in front of you. Little specks in the water float out of the screen. The 3D effect also allows you to notice textures on the characters you might not have seen before. I was amazed to see the rough skin on Mr. Ray or the individual iridescent scales on Marlin. The 3D gives you a new appreciation for the detail and complexity of the animation. If that's not enough, then consider that they give you special goggle 3D glasses at this movie. I knew that would convince you.

Finally, "Finding Nemo" is released with a new "Toy Story" short entitled "Partysaurus Rex." In it, Rex is harassed by Mr. Potato Head for being dull. But when Rex is taken to the bathtub for playtime, he discovers a whole new world of toys we haven't seen before – bathtub toys. As soon as he arrives, he's determined to throw caution to the wind and a toy rave ensues featuring bubbles, a light show, loud music, and lots of water... too much water. Anybody with kids knows that bathtub toys are a critical component of any kid's toy collection. It's kind of amazing we haven't seen them in the "Toy Story" universe before now. So this short features all sorts of amazing opportunities for jokes. My kids are quoting them days later.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=94607

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I am looking forward to the blu ray for both the 2d and 3d. cool.gif It seems like any sort of underwater type scene involving fish really plays out well in 3d from what I have experienced with various blus. This should look amazing!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Anyone know how long it will run in theaters?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Anyone know how long it will run in theaters?

Have not seen it listed as a limited engagement....I would imagine at least 3 weeks, as long as the $$ keeps rolling in. The reviews of the 3D on this have me considering taking the kids to see it for what will technically be the umpteenth time - just never in 3D on the big screen.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

^ We're not going this weekend, but will next weekend (hence my question about how long it'll run...Google wasn't helpful). Not quite sure how many times we've seen it, but like you said, never in 3D, and also my daughter scratchd her DVD beyond viewing capability a while back.

Stephen.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
There's not a movie out that makes the whole family laugh out loud like Nemo! A group of at least 10 of us (mostly adults) will be going to see this next weekend. And there is a real good chance we might get asked to leave the theater for disruptive laughing. Don't know what it is about this movie but it gets us going every time and don't get me started on the daily catch phrases!

I'm not a huge 3D fan as I've been let down more than anything. In fact my only positive 3D experience was The Avengers in IMAX 3D, which is a bummer that Nemo isn't being shown in IMAX. But I would like to think this has a good chance of being a good 3D experience so we're going to give it a shot.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In case you missed the reference to the 3D goggles Disney supplies with the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPKDZPkEKKE&noredirect=1

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

^ Wonder how many of those will be stolen.

Stephen.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the swim team got to wear the special limited-edition snorkel goggles.

The Real 3D glasses will likely look more like this.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen this yet? Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Of all the Pixar movies, this one stands out in my mind as being the most obvious for 3D.
Hope it's done well....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Finding Nemo 3D did $17.5 million in 2.904 theaters.

As for Nemo, the movie is one of the critical and fan favorites in the Pixar canon. Originally released in 2003, the underwater tale, featuring the voices of Albert Brooks and Ellen DeGeneres, grossed $867.6 million prior to its arrival in a new 3D version. But instead of acting like The Lion King, which opened to $30.2 million when it was released in 3D a year ago, Nemo performed more like the 3D return of Beauty and the Beast, which opened to $17.8 million in January. And 3D proved a major lure: 96 percent of the tickets sold came from 3D engagments, in line with what Disney witnessed with Lion King

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-resident-evil-joaquin-phoenix-masters-milla-jovovich-paul-thomas-anderson-370633
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'll be seeing this sometime in the next couple days. Never have gotten into the hype of 3D as this will be my first time seeing one, and only reason being I got a free ticket through DisneyMovieRewards. Quick question, but for anyone else that wears glasses is it a distracting feeling wearing the 3D glasses over them?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I have to say this movie will look awesome in 3D.

Frank
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

The movie remains a classic and still looks great, not that I expected otherwise. But the 3D was lackluster and brought me right back to my original feeling about 3D prior to my Avengers IMAX 3D experience. Even my 7 year old commented several times on how it didn't look 3D. Given the Pixar animation I had high expectations for this one. Left feeling ripped off (again) and vowing to never spring for 3D again. If it were any other movie I would have said it ruined my movie-going experience. But it was, after all, Finding Nemo. That's how good this story is to me. Maybe it's the theater that we saw it in but the "privilege" of watching 3D cost me an extra $15 (for all tickets) and wasn't worth it. Just my two cents.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

^ We were going this weekend but decided against it. Just too expensive to see a movie again that we've already seen so many times before just because they slap 3D on it. I'll be happy waiting for the Bluray which will be far less expensive than taking the family to see it in theaters.

Stephen.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Not a bad move in my opinion.