Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a screenshot of my recent activity:

293ugiw.jpg

Nice, isn't it? And I didn't report a few that I managed to finish somehow (a few artefacts or skips here and there didn't bother me enough if movies weren't too good anyway). The ones I reported were:
- two had visible weird damage like if a middle layer inside a disc separated or something.
- one was simply unplayable, wouldn't even load, tried it on my bd player (Panny BDT220) and PC blu-ray ROM.
- today's one just froze every 15 minutes, I had to reload the disc every time, skip/rewind several times, but eventually I gave up (movie was kind of crappy anyway)

I used to go for months without a problem with them, I don't mind an occasional artefact now and then... but maaan. I've NEVER had a bad blu-ray from Redbox... Not once, not even skipping, and I rent a lot...

I called the support they said they'd issue me 3 extra movies and take 50% off next month's charge, I also asked to have my movies checked before being shipped, they said they'd report this issue to my local Netflix center. That calmed me down and made me happy right away, but man, what's wrong with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 AM

I had the same problem. At least one out of three discs, or more, I received were unplayable. This went on for months and months. I was worried they would blame me for all the damaged discs. The situation finally improved and most of the discs I received worked.. I'm not using Netflix at this time, I was just running out of stuff I wanted to watch, and I usually buy the Blu-rays I want to add to my collection, like the Avengers and Prometheus; and it takes forever to get new releases from Netflix anyway. I'll probably sign up again in the future.

edit - Rereading this, I want to make it clear I'm talking strictly about Blu-rays here. DVDs I only had an occasional problem with, but when I switched to Blu-rays I started of having a lot of problems. But as another poster noted, part of the problem might have been my player.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A few days ago, I was remembering how many damaged DVDs we used to get from Netflix. It was several per year. However, since we started getting mostly blu-rays a couple of years ago, I don't recall ever getting a damaged one.
post #4 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM

I'm more upset about how it takes months to get anything even remotely new; the worst is when something is in my Q with no wait.. until I bump it up to the top so I can get it next and it IMMEDIATELY goes to 'very long wait'.. WTF is going on? Also, I can't put my account on hold anymore, have to completely cancel it if I know I won't be able to use it for a couple weeks. (I'm on the bluray only plan, no streaming because my internet connection is shite). I used to watch at least a dozen discs each month but for MANY months now the top few dozen titles in my Q are all in a wait status, half of the titles are old. And, yes I often get damaged blus, but sometimes it's just a greasy fingerprint that I can wash off. I'm very near cancelling my account altogether.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Netflix sucks unless you like to stream crap movies or rent really old crap.
Fortuantely i live next to a blockbuster so I can use their exchange plan.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Respect for the property of others is the issue here. People are selfish, foul, and inconsiderate creatures who care not about something after they get what they want from it. The human race should be wiped from existence so a less evil lifeform can evolve into better beings. That's the only way Netfilx will stop sending damaged discs.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #7 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Threads like this pop up from time to time.
The last time a thread like this one ran a pattern emerged where some folks in certain areas were having alot of disk problems, while others in other areas of the country were not.

It's a funny thing with NF.
My theory is the NF system of "Disk Refreshing" may be dependent on District Managers, as in some are trying to keep costs down within their assigned areas.

Also, some BD/DVD players are more sensitive to disk errors or defects than others.
Additionally, having up to date Firmware is extremely important with optical hardware.

I have the 3-at-a-time plan and watch ALOT of movies.
Rarely do I have a problem with their DVDs or BDS.....and I mean RARELY.

Can those who are having problems list the players they use and in what geographical area of the country they live in?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #8 of 28 Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Threads like this pop up from time to time.
The last time a thread like this one ran a pattern emerged where some folks in certain areas were having alot of disk problems, while others in other areas of the country were not.
It's a funny thing with NF.
My theory is the NF system of "Disk Refreshing" may be dependent on District Managers, as in some are trying to keep costs down within their assigned areas.
Also, some BD/DVD players are more sensitive to disk errors or defects than others.
Additionally, having up to date Firmware is extremely important with optical hardware.
I have the 3-at-a-time plan and watch ALOT of movies.
Rarely do I have a problem with their DVDs or BDS.....and I mean RARELY.
Can those who are having problems list the players they use and in what geographical area of the country they live in?

Lesson learned: dont live in the ghetto then you will get undamaged discs
post #9 of 28 Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 23
I added blu-rays to my Netflix account and only had a small issue with 2 dics. It would freeze up and I would need to skip to the next chapter to continue watching. With the DVDs I never had any issues. I get mine from the Norcross, Georgia area.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #10 of 28 Old 10-21-2012, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that didn't last long. I got 8 normal ones, and another one damaged tonight. *sigh*

I will continue Netflix for another month since they promised me 50% off off the next month's fee... but beyond that... I'm afraid I'll have to put it on hold/cancel it. This schit is getting old.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

I added blu-rays to my Netflix account and only had a small issue with 2 dics. It would freeze up and I would need to skip to the next chapter to continue watching. With the DVDs I never had any issues. I get mine from the Norcross, Georgia area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

Well, that didn't last long. I got 8 normal ones, and another one damaged tonight. *sigh*
I will continue Netflix for another month since they promised me 50% off off the next month's fee... but beyond that... I'm afraid I'll have to put it on hold/cancel it. This schit is getting old.
Which BD players are you guys using?

post #12 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cloverfield was the only BD that wouldn't play with updated firmware, then i had 1 broken DVD arrive, other than that flawless and we've had it for like 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Lesson learned: dont live in the ghetto then you will get undamaged discs
And this is in the ghetto

post #13 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Rarely has damaged disc here, probably 1 or 2 a year and I went through probably 100 every year.
1 or 2 % is acceptable in my book.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-22-2012, 11:26 AM

I've had Netflix for years and lived in numerous different areas around the US and have had only the 1-2% damaged disc rate that others have mentioned.

There was a time where I thought I was starting to receive more damaged discs. It was similar to what the OP describes. It was only blu-ray discs not dvds that were having playback issues either not loading or skipping/freezing during playback. I later came to find out that it was by player that was going bad. Got a new player and I no longer have the issues.
post #15 of 28 Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm83 View Post

I've had Netflix for years and lived in numerous different areas around the US and have had only the 1-2% damaged disc rate that others have mentioned.
There was a time where I thought I was starting to receive more damaged discs. It was similar to what the OP describes. It was only blu-ray discs not dvds that were having playback issues either not loading or skipping/freezing during playback. I later came to find out that it was by player that was going bad. Got a new player and I no longer have the issues.

Well, to follow up on my previous post, I've seldom had a problem with discs I bought, and when I did they could be fixed with an update. The Blu-rays from Netflix being constantly scratched was the problem. But I use an LG Blu-ray drive in a computer running Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 hooked up to a projector. Maybe that's less forgiving than a dedicated player.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I've only watched one or two movies a month for the past year (sad, I know) and I've had at least three damaged Blu-rays from Netflix. Some of them don't even look damaged but the replacements have played fine all the way through.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I'm in Northern VA and have been using a Samsung BDP-1600 and have only had to return 1 disk of any kind in about 5 years. It may help that, as near as I can tell, the distribution center is in the next zip code over.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #18 of 28 Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have Panasonic BDT220. Never had a hiccup with Redbox discs, or the ones I buy used from Hastings (about 200 of them). Only Netflix.

Today I received another damaged one. This one had 3 big pin holes (about 1mm) close to the outer edge. As if someone deliberately stabbed it with something sharp.

I didn't even try to play it, packed it up and ready to go.

I don't know if Netflix processing center stopped checking discs, or postal employee started hating Netflix for some reason and throw these discs around and stab them, I have no idea what's going on.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

I don't know if Netflix processing center stopped checking discs, or postal employee started hating Netflix for some reason and throw these discs around and stab them, I have no idea what's going on.

I don’t think Netflix takes the time to check any discs unless they’re flagged. Which is why my biggest complaint comes not from Netflix, but the users who have no regard for the discs because they don’t own them. The amount of fingerprints, and sometimes debris, people leave on these discs can be surprising. I now check every disc before playing to save me the aggravation of having to stop in the middle of a movie to clean the darn thing and go through the process of restarting. I’ve had a few that were unplayable due to scratches through the years, but not many. I also think when some people encounter problems playing a disc, but are still able to push their way through it for various reasons, they don’t report the disc as being bad, and therefore it gets recycled. It becomes too much of an inconvenience to take a couple of minutes out of their day to think about the next person who receives it. “I made it through, let someone else worry about it.”
post #20 of 28 Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
I can still recall receiving a damaged DVD from Netflix, sending it back and a week later receiving THE VERY SAME DISC as the 'replacement!'

That's just how they operate.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #21 of 28 Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Based on this foum's dedicated thread, I put Sunshine in my Netflix cue. Popped the BD in the PS3 last night, jazzed for some serious sci-fi goodness. But the "play" function kept defaulting to a branching version of the movie where a commentary window would pop up in the lower right-side quadrant of the screen and the actual movie volume was muted. Try as I might, I couldn't get rid of that commentary track and get the "raw" movie version. Never seen anything like it in any other shiny disk I've ever watched. I guess the disk was damaged somehow, but the surface was blemish free and flawless to the eye. Sending it back as "damaged" and hope to get a new disk and try again. This is the first screwed-up disk I've ever gotten from Netlix, out of dozens.
post #22 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Based on this foum's dedicated thread, I put Sunshine in my Netflix cue. Popped the BD in the PS3 last night, jazzed for some serious sci-fi goodness. But the "play" function kept defaulting to a branching version of the movie where a commentary window would pop up in the lower right-side quadrant of the screen and the actual movie volume was muted. Try as I might, I couldn't get rid of that commentary track and get the "raw" movie version. Never seen anything like it in any other shiny disk I've ever watched. I guess the disk was damaged somehow, but the surface was blemish free and flawless to the eye. Sending it back as "damaged" and hope to get a new disk and try again. This is the first screwed-up disk I've ever gotten from Netlix, out of dozens.
IIRC, there was some serious issues with this disk during its initial release....with alot of players needing to upgrade their FW.

post #23 of 28 Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 AM

Liked: 16
I recently signed up again. I've had problems with 2 out of the 3 bluray discs I've received so far. Its been a while but had the same problems last time I was using their service. I'm going to see if I have the same issue with the disc on another player. I know optical discs work great if cared for but it would be nice if they were sturdier.
post #24 of 28 Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

IIRC, there was some serious issues with this disk during its initial release....with alot of players needing to upgrade their FW.

Just to follow up on this, I received the replacement disk for Sunshine from Netflix right away. I had written an explanation of what was wrong on the disk on a sticky note which I stuck to the disk sleeve. I even printed out something from a website which explained how to go about getting replacement disks directly from the studio and stuck that on the sleeve as well. Then, I went to Netflix's website and told them about the mis-authored disk, what was wrong with it (it wasn't really "damaged", etc.), and why I was returning it.

In spite of all this, the replacement disk I got a few days later from Netflix was another one out of that batch of mis-produced disks; heck, maybe it was the very same one. I'm not sure if any human actually read anything I had to say. Which means robots must now be opening the envelopes. Ah, another job lost to automation...

Guess I'm going to have to wait for this one to show up on premium cable, if ever.
post #25 of 28 Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 32
There was a article about a year ago how the Netflix line operates. Everyone is pretty much working like robots and is more of a sweatshop than anything. Any notes stuck in the mailers just get tossed. Better to address it to corporate than sending back with the disc.
post #26 of 28 Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

There was a article about a year ago how the Netflix line operates. Everyone is pretty much working like robots and is more of a sweatshop than anything. Any notes stuck in the mailers just get tossed. Better to address it to corporate than sending back with the disc.

Thought I did that in the "Report Problem" section of my queue, then expanded upon it via e-mail. I did everything I could to describe the problem to them and what I needed. Guess nobody really reads those things. rolleyes.gif

Edit: I just called Netflix and got a nice American girl on the line who noted the problem and promised me they'd obtain the corrected disk. We shall see.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 PM

I need to prod this thread back  into existence. I am having the same problem. The picture pixelates, freezes and with some luck you may be able to skip to the next scene. It happens with most bluerays I get from Netflix. I have cleaned the lens of my player and finally got a new, expensive player and the same thing happens. I usually call them, they send me another one and one out of three times the new copy is watchable. Now today I cleaned the disc, put it in. The player display read "reading" and then "stop". I'm done with them. I'll just keep my streaming subscription which works fine although it is not HD in spite of what they say.

OK. I'm done.

Happy New Year everyone!

post #28 of 28 Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm totally happy with netflix lately...namely this past year. Every week they're sending all my new releases on mon which I rec on Tue. And anything else that is in short wait or long wait gets shipped out promptly. It was this way way back in 02-07 then they got sloppy from about 07-12, loss some subs and went through some changes with the streaming debacle but now that Blockbuster is out of the picture they're doing well again and it shows in their service. Let's hope it remains this way from here on.

New U.S. subscribers lift Netflix fourth quarter profit

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Netflix Inc reported higher profit for the fourth quarter as the company added 2.3 million customers to its TV and movie streaming service in the United States, sending its shares up 15 percent in after-hours trading.

The company on Wednesday reported net income of $48 million (28 million pounds) for the quarter, up from $8 million (4 million pounds) a year ago. Earnings-per-share were 79 cents, Netflix said in a statement.

Netflix shares rose more than 15 percent to $385.61 in after-hours trading, close to the all-time intraday trading high of $389.16 the stock hit in October.

The company had previously forecast it would add between 1.6 million and 2.4 million new U.S. streaming customers, a closely watched barometer of the company's growth.

In international markets, Netflix added 1.7 million members. It ended 2013 with more than 44 million customers worldwide.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page