13Likes

post #4021 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Also, here is the very first line from the very first post in this thread:

"I thought we would have an open-ended "name that movie" contest, based on images posted to challenge readers. Everyone can contribute pictures, but of course you don't get points for your own submissions."

Where from this do you get the idea to have a "name 5 essential properties of the anagram of this movie" challenge?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I agree that Woobieizer's challenges are too convoluted. No offense intended, Woobie. I can appreciate the effort and creativity involved, but it seems a bit too much, to me anyway.

To be fair, however, Bill, the OP of the thread, did kind of open the door to more creative challenges with the challenges requiring responders to place multiple screenshots in the correct order. Woobie was definitely not the first to stray from the "Here's a picture, name that movie" format.

Perhaps we should take a vote regarding the type of challenge that Woobie has invented?

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #4023 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
Perhaps we should take a vote regarding the type of challenge that Woobie has invented?
I hate to discourage enthusiasm, even though I don't care about the recent multi-stage challenges myself.

With a little patience these things work themselves out. When posting challenges it takes a while to determine what's too hard vs too easy. I actually think "easy" is better because then someone gets a point. Too difficult and it takes too long and people become frustrated.

If you don't get much response to a certain type of challenge you learn not to do that.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #4024 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
New Rule: Put your answers in spoiler please
Tell me 5 essential properties of the Anagram of this movie. GO!

Good Luck!
Ok, first of all, there are several anagrams for this movie, and not just one. I had absolutely no idea which one you meant, since your "rule" didn't indicate at all which one you meant.

You could have:
GROAN (1. sound 2. discomfort 3. pained 4. utterance 5. pressured)

You could have:
ARGON (1. element 2. gas 3. atmospheric 4. inert 5. noble)

You could have:
ORGAN (1. instrument 2. tuned 3. keyboard 4. musical 5. piped

Of course, a different meaning could be used:
ORGAN (1. body 2. tissued 3. functional 4. vital 5. cellular)

You could stretch things a little and say:
ORANG (1. apeish 2. Borneon 3. arboreal 4. anthropoid 5. hairy)

In any case, and most importantly, the name of this film is RANGO. All of this other verbiage is complete and unnecessary BS.

Please keep this crap out of this thread. Honestly, I didn't find this to be one iota of fun.

At all.

post #4025 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I'm all for inventiveness, I respect everyone's views, and the "general relaxing" flow determine the type of direction we all enjoy.

If Woobie wants to help us more on his creative challenges so that everyone is happy, I'm all in.
And if Bill is ok with that too of course.

* Woobie, you are a very good/cool person, I can tell, ...help us more please in developing our skills so that we can participate in your new creative challenges.
I am perfectly honest right now by saying that I am not up to it as I stand @ this moment, but with time, a little more effort, and from more examples that you can give us with clear explanations, I'm sure we can get there all together, in this magnificent thread created by Bill.

I'm like Bill; I want things simple, easy, relax, and not having to work too much. ...Or I simply would search for other avenues from other threads.

<<>> My suggestion before was an excellent one too: You can start your own thread and see how it goes.
That's an excellent alternative as well. And that's what I would do myself, if strongly passionate about a subject.

This is only one opinion, mine, but from what I can also read so far; it seems that I'm not alone thinking that.
And it has nothing to do with you personally. ...It's all about the "content".

Your friend, Bob.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4026 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW...did you honestly expect anyone to guess this film based on your first clue with the moving road?

post #4027 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey listen, I don't mind a challenge, but at the same time, I shouldn't have to scour the internet to put together jigsaw puzzles that give me morse code clues to find post comment numbers like in some crazy scavenger hunt of follow the clues to the depths of infinity.

Look at that last challenge of yours. Wasn't it enough to guess that the film was Rango without the whole anagram silliness? Guessing the film was tough enough. Once I realized it was an animated film I immediately got it. VERY good challenge. As for the anagram part? Who cares!?

post #4028 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Name this movie:

Tough one Rob; and in that aspect ratio.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4029 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
BTW...did you honestly expect anyone to guess this film based on your first clue with the moving road?
That truly gave me a headache, frankly.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4030 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Ok, first of all, there are several anagrams for this movie, and not just one. I had absolutely no idea which one you meant, since your "rule" didn't indicate at all which one you meant.

You could have:
GROAN (1. sound 2. discomfort 3. pained 4. utterance 5. pressured)

You could have:
ARGON (1. element 2. gas 3. atmospheric 4. inert 5. noble)

You could have:
ORGAN (1. instrument 2. tuned 3. keyboard 4. musical 5. piped

Of course, a different meaning could be used:
ORGAN (1. body 2. tissued 3. functional 4. vital 5. cellular)

You could stretch things a little and say:
ORANG (1. apeish 2. Borneon 3. arboreal 4. anthropoid 5. hairy)

In any case, and most importantly, the name of this film is RANGO. All of this other verbiage is complete and unnecessary BS.

Please keep this crap out of this thread. Honestly, I didn't find this to be one iota of fun.

At all.
The five properties would relate to "Argon" and would be boiling point, melting point, phase (gas solid or liquid) etc. Strongly agree to the no fun premise. Possibly even the opposite of fun AKA "work".

Nice job on the ID anyway. That movie was as interesting as a 90 minute Geico commercial to me.
post #4031 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My view on this is from the very onset of following Bill in here upon a post connecting an email data image is that bringing creativity to the thread was welcome. I apologize to no one. I for one, having read the rules and having PM'ed Bill if I could post animated gif's, happily shared 6 original entries into this thread.

5 of which, by chance are not in kilgore personal movie database save one.

This one he has personally ruined and in no short order proven by tantrum and condescension that he is no gamesmen or gentleman.

I rest my case.

Respectfully
Bill
post #4032 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

post #4033 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, you still haven't acknowledged that I got Rango right.

post #4034 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

...And I will also take a break from this thread, from now on.
I was just about to post a screenshot, but now I need a break, and think clearly. ...Be more relax.

And Woobie (Bill), thank you for dropping by, and with your frank comment.

Happy day to everyone.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #4035 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
My view on this is from the very onset of following Bill in here upon a post connecting an email data image is that bringing creativity to the thread was welcome. I apologize to no one. I for one, having read the rules and having PM'ed Bill if I could post animated gif's, happily shared 6 original entries into this thread.

5 of which, by chance are not in kilgore personal movie database save one.

This one he has personally ruined and in no short order proven by tantrum and condescension that he is no gamesmen or gentleman.

I rest my case.

Respectfully
Bill

Well I don't want to get in the middle of that, but I'll give my IMO about the scenario.

In a situation like this you should try to stay light on your feet. If you're getting a majority of negative reactions to your challenges, tweak the formula a bit. You are obviously a smart guy and have something to offer here, but flying into the wind and "apologizing to no one" is just working too hard for no reason. It's easy to fall into the Alex Trebek mindset and assume everyone should easily know the answer because "you" do. There's nothing wrong with a hard challenge or even a hard unorthodox challenge, but if your goal is to have challenges that people enjoy then you need to test the waters and modify when necessary.

OK, here's one just for you.

Name that movie.

Kilgore likes this.
post #4036 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Name this movie.

Answer:

Spoiler!

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	270321  

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Last edited by wmcclain; Today at 05:27 AM.
post #4037 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Name that movie.

Mr. Mom

?
post #4038 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Name this movie.

-Bill
A gifted conductor is irreplaceable. Bravo.
post #4039 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Name this movie.

-Bill

I do not know this movie. But I want to know this movie. I want to know this movie bad.

post #4040 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Name this movie.

-Bill
Spoiler!
post #4041 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Well I don't want to get in the middle of that, but I'll give my IMO about the scenario.

Greatest American Hero
post #4042 of 4047 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
*freezes*
post #4043 of 4047 Old Today, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
A gifted conductor is irreplaceable. Bravo.
Well... thank you?

Quote:
I do not know this movie. But I want to know this movie. I want to know this movie bad.
I originally had this on a 4:3 letterboxed DVD that looked like a shag rug. An anamorphic PAL DVD was an upgrade, and now it is available on Blu-ray. Not an excellent disc, but we film buffs tend to be accepting rather than demanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Queen Margot maybe?
Half point deducted for tentativeness. Just kidding.

It's both beautiful (largely because of Isabelle Adjani), concupiscent because of sex scenes, and repellent because of a realistic enactment of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre. We're used to much more sanitary Dumas adventures. And the Valois court: an unlovely crew apart from Margot.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #4044 of 4047 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Here's a shot for you all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Submit 2.png
Views:	11
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	271018  
post #4045 of 4047 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
Mr. Mom

?
That's it.

A tribute to Woobieizer.
post #4046 of 4047 Old Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Greatest American Hero

That wasn't a challenge but yeah, that's it. Whenever the word "scenario" goes through my head I think of Robert Culp saying it. Loved that guy.
post #4047 of 4047 Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That wasn't a challenge but yeah, that's it. Whenever the word "scenario" goes through my head I think of Robert Culp saying it. Loved that guy.
I enjoyed Culp immensely.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page