AVS Forum banner

The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest

410K views 13K replies 185 participants last post by  ChromeJob 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought we would have an open-ended "name that movie" contest, based on images posted to challenge readers. Everyone can contribute pictures, but of course you don't get points for your own submissions.

Not just movies, but TV shows, posters, album art, portraits; anything with an A/V connection that falls within forum decorum rules. Meaning there must be clothes on the women or artfully concealing camera angles.

The challenge is to find material that is not too easy but not impossibly obscure.

TIP: give your files a temporary name before uploading them, else "peeking" to see the original filenames is possible.

If anyone plays I'll keep a tally of correct answers so we know who is King of the Forum.

The Rules
  • This is a gentleman's game and is run on the honor system. It is the one place on the internet where I know such a scheme will work.
  • If you find yourself violating the rules, you must handicap yourself in playing the game until the violation is expunged. Use your judgment in deciding that.
  • Whoever posts a challenge can state his own rules, but unless otherwise stated, we've been using the following.
  • One answer at a time, no multiple solutions to a given challenge.
  • One wrong answer per challenge per 24 hours. This is to prevent a player from "bombing" the thread with plausible solutions.
  • Guessing is allowed, but "research" is forbidden in the first 48 hours. Example: you recognize an actor and look him up in the IMDB to find likely film matches. This is forbidden in the first 48 hours because we are trying to reward players who actually recognize the images.
  • If the poster of the challenge begins offering clues or additional images, we judge the 48 hours have expired, regardless of the clock. Research is allowed.
  • Automated image look-up tools are always forbidden. For example, google has a tool where you submit an image and it finds close matches. That's not playing the game.
-Bill

See less See more
#6,896 ·
Yes it's true; the last two rounds, including this one, you added a different "twist" to encourage the lesser guessers. ...And that takes more time for sure.
Also, you are more consistent than anyone else in posting movie frames (contests); we don't participate as much as you do on that end.
And for that I apologize...because participation is good on the guessing side but even more important on posting the challenges.
I am fully aware of that and I will try to post good challenges in the future...from another set of films...all kinds.

What discourages me the most, I guess, is that I am not an expert in posting movie screenshots that you cannot find easily from searching.
I have no difficulty in posting a picture, but I cannot do like you do and couple more members can do.

But if you forgive me in my inability to do like you, I will post more challenges, and rely strictly, like always, in people's "gentlemen game".
I love this thread Bill and I always visit it every day...because I simply love movies...all movies...it don't matter...from the Chaplin era to the Ultron one.

#6,915 ·
♦ And no Inspect element checking allowed, and no Search Google for this image allowed. It's to give a chance to the ones who can truly identify it.
If you look at the rules on page 1, you will see that this is the last one:

•Automated image look-up tools are always forbidden. For example, google has a tool where you submit an image and it finds close matches. That's not playing the game.

If you use these types of sites, you're cheating, whether the time limit is up or not. This has always been a given.

#6,935 · (Edited)
The second screenshot is closer to the 1.85:1 original aspect ratio for this film.

This is a post I was trying to adjust for you (looking for a new picture framed closer to the original), and by trying and taking the time I accidentally deleted it (there were two other screenshots...now gone), except for that widescreen shot above. ...Would it make a big difference for someone to guess or to know which film it is? ...From one or the other aspect ratio; framing.

'Pina'

#6,923 · (Edited)
The real film's aspect ratio is like the girl with a green dress, between number 7 and 6.

The other wide screenshots are simply the type I would make films myself using. They are more artistically showing.
I simply used them because of that.

Here's another one:

'Pina'

#6,942 · (Edited)
One more thing...often Bill uses spoilers with the movie title inside, hiding. ...Should I do that too, and when...like how many hours after I post the first screenshot?

The name of the movie/documentary ... a tribute to Pina Baush, is **** ... 'Pina'

#6,943 ·
One more thing...often Bill uses spoilers with the movie title inside, hiding. ...Should I do that too, and when...like how many hours after I post the first screenshot?

The name of the movie/documentary ... a tribute to Pina Baush, is ****
In that case the answer is Pina. I have it, bought it for my wife but haven't seen it myself.

#6,945 ·

Aladdin ends the round!

King of the forum is... Kilgore, digging his way out of a -25 handicap.

Runners up:

• 2: ChromeJob
  • 3: Ken.F
  • 4: robnix
  • 5: NorthSky (tie)
  • 5: wmcclain (tie)
  • 5: V'ger (tie)

The complete ranking can be found in the second post of this thread.

Round 9 begins now. As we did last time, to punish the knowledgeable, everyone with a positive score will be initialized with the negative of that score.

Game rules are in the first post of this thread.

Thanks to everyone for playing, and I hope you are finding good films to watch!

-Bill

#6,950 ·
And Bill takes the first point in Round 9!

Correct - Hell Drivers (1957), directed by Cy Enfield ("Zulu"), starring Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Peggy Cummins, Patrick McGoohan, William Hartnell, Jill Ireland, Sidney James, David McCallum and Sean Connery.

Excellent cast in a gritty little film about truck drivers pushed to the edge. Not available on DVD in the U.S., I picked up a nice copy with good extras from Amazon UK. However, it is now up for unlimited streaming on Amazon Prime.

Now I need to go watch Gun Crazy with Peggy Cummins again :)

#6,954 · (Edited)
I have a special quiz just for NorthSky. Bob, name that movie:

I've cropped and resized the image to a size and shape that I liked best as is my artistic prerogative as somebody who watched the movie once and thought of it for this quiz and then looked up screencaps for it and then put one in PhotoShop and fixed it all nice and pretty which I say to you with the utmost peace and respect because I totally think anyone can see what I'm saying is true if they have love in their hearts because love is like so so so very important that it's the key to everything but only if it comes with truth and understanding and I know you know what I'm saying because as soon as you figure out what this movie is all the secrets of the universe will unlock and your mind will totally expand to infinite horizons of love and peace and you will know that this size and shape is the perfect artistic ideal for this image as I see it and present to you for your respectful consideration in naming the movie for this most peaceful quiz and even though I'm leaving this quiz for Bob I think that anybody who gets the message I'm sending should hit the "Like" in the lower right corner and show your love and respect and be totally peaceful with one another at all times forever.

Attachments