AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yes, you could tell obviously the opening human torch scene was CG, the tree stuff out the mouth, and the scene where the one girl just had her arm blown off via shotgun by her boyfriend, when she was walking you could see where the real arm ended and the CG mapped the bloody dripping nub. The only real issue I had was the use of a nail gun without an air compressor or the need to depress the nose safety rolleyes.gif
Yeah that sure was a powerful battery powered gun! How about that electronic kitchen knife that cuts bone too. Hehehe.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the girl's eyes change on screen. Was thinking they were some of the coolest contacts I've seen but now wondering if they were just green and CG'd in. I hope not because I want them!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 720
I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
post #63 of 78 Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Yeah that sure was a powerful battery powered gun! How about that electronic kitchen knife that cuts bone too. Hehehe.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of the girl's eyes change on screen. Was thinking they were some of the coolest contacts I've seen but now wondering if they were just green and CG'd in. I hope not because I want them!
At least they had the decency to cut that scene before she finished and allow us to assume she kept on a saw'n for a while wink.gif The nail gun was pretty laughable and add to that it was a finish nail gun shooting framing nails... WTH?
Regardless of those gripes I still really enjoyed it which says a lot because I went in with high expectations.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #64 of 78 Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Previous reviews were well said, so no reason for me to go in-depth. I loved some of the elements and was slightly annoyed with others. Gore was completely off the hook and for that reason alone, this one will likely be added to the library once it comes out on Blu-ray. I don't recall enough of the original to make any comparisons and I don't know what elements of the remake were there simply to remain faithful. But I will say that there were several WTF moments that had us rolling our eyes and some of the dialog had us cracking up (not in a good way). Either way, the good outweighed the bad and we had a really fun time. 3.5 or 3.75 out of 5.

And I will add that there was definitely some CGI. Not really a big deal though, IMO.
post #65 of 78 Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I saw it yesterday as planned.... wheew! what a ride! cool.gif

I read a few posts back before posting this and I agree with what's already been said, specially from Gen. Kenobi... As for the characters' backstory, or lack of it that is, I will add this:
While the characters were indeed forgettable, and expendables of course, I liked Mia's addiction problems, the fact she was brought here for a reason, her brother's and family's issues as well. These were just some glimpses at times, but they did add something to them, and particularly to Mia. I liked that.

Jane Levy was fantastic, and very cute (is it weird that I find her cute even with her ghostly tan? wink.gif). She indeed carries the whole thing and does it perfectly from beginning to end. And while the other characters were indeed forgettable, sort of, the cast does a rather good job.

About the use of CGI, I think I noticed something 2 times, during 2 short segments; which means it's not distracting at all, as about 98% of the film visuals are practical effects. What. A. Relief!!!!!! And they are among the best and most convincing I've seen.

After the trailers and buzz surrouding the film I went with high expectations, and the film did meet my expectations, at times even exceeded them. As always, I have something to say about the music as well, which helped giving the film a seriousness that was more than welcome. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
From the very beginning (after the opening scene), there's an aerial shot above the woods, we could have heard some pseudo-catchy radio rock crap during that shot, but it was the theme, gently played at the piano... We know from this moment that these young persons are not here just for the fun of being lost in the woods like so many horror flicks...
I'm glad they didn't go for the usual "angry teen" garbage rock tunes...

The film will have a very successful weekend - so I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

The director said the Blu-ray will feature the NC-17 version (but they'll probably call it "unrated director's cut"), and for me this will be a day 1 purchase no matter what. smile.gif
post #66 of 78 Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Just saw it at a Cinemark theater, one of their XD Extreme Digital theaters, floor to ceiling and wall to wall screen with good sound.

Not strong on plot, but i dont need it when the gore is so great!! Plenty of really good scenes for a gore-hound like me. I would love to see an NC-17 version
of this on bluray!!!

Definetely enjoyed it, and i bet i would like it even more on a second watch as i had insanely high expectations when i went to see it, too high for a movie to match.

If you like gorey movies, see this one, its worth seeing in a theater on a big screen.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.

never take life seriously
post #67 of 78 Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I saw it yesterday as planned.... wheew! what a ride! cool.gif

I read a few posts back before posting this and I agree with what's already been said, specially from Gen. Kenobi... As for the characters' backstory, or lack of it that is, I will add this:
While the characters were indeed forgettable, and expendables of course, I liked Mia's addiction problems, the fact she was brought here for a reason, her brother's and family's issues as well. These were just some glimpses at times, but they did add something to them, and particularly to Mia. I liked that.

Jane Levy was fantastic, and very cute (is it weird that I find her cute even with her ghostly tan? wink.gif). She indeed carries the whole thing and does it perfectly from beginning to end. And while the other characters were indeed forgettable, sort of, the cast does a rather good job.

About the use of CGI, I think I noticed something 2 times, during 2 short segments; which means it's not distracting at all, as about 98% of the film visuals are practical effects. What. A. Relief!!!!!! And they are among the best and most convincing I've seen.

After the trailers and buzz surrouding the film I went with high expectations, and the film did meet my expectations, at times even exceeded them. As always, I have something to say about the music as well, which helped giving the film a seriousness that was more than welcome. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
From the very beginning (after the opening scene), there's an aerial shot above the woods, we could have heard some pseudo-catchy radio rock crap during that shot, but it was the theme, gently played at the piano... We know from this moment that these young persons are not here just for the fun of being lost in the woods like so many horror flicks...
I'm glad they didn't go for the usual "angry teen" garbage rock tunes...

The film will have a very successful weekend - so I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

The director said the Blu-ray will feature the NC-17 version (but they'll probably call it "unrated director's cut"), and for me this will be a day 1 purchase no matter what. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Just saw it at a Cinemark theater, one of their XD Extreme Digital theaters, floor to ceiling and wall to wall screen with good sound.

Not strong on plot, but i dont need it when the gore is so great!! Plenty of really good scenes for a gore-hound like me. I would love to see an NC-17 version
of this on bluray!!!

Definetely enjoyed it, and i bet i would like it even more on a second watch as i had insanely high expectations when i went to see it, too high for a movie to match.

If you like gorey movies, see this one, its worth seeing in a theater on a big screen.
Great to hear, glad you both enjoyed it!

Morpheo - Did the director happen to say how many additional minutes would be restored to the directors cut?

My Rig

post #68 of 78 Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Morpheo - Did the director happen to say how many additional minutes would be restored to the directors cut?

No but here's what I just found:
http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/movies/article/-/a/2215667/Interview-with-Evil-Dead-director-Fede-Alvarez

"This has been praised for being one of the goriest films of recent years. Did you have to cut anything?

Fede Alvarez: Ironically, the MPAA was very helpful! Sometimes they can be difficult and not tell you why things are being cut or why you are getting a certain rating. In this case they were very precise with us. They gave us notes on the first cut and all we had to get rid of was five to ten frames. I think they helped us to make a better movie, since as a director when you are told you can only show something for 25 frames you want to make sure they are the best you have. In the end we had a sharper cut."

Just to be clear, this was just me who called the upcoming Blu-ray his director's cut the other day, the only thing that I can confirm is that he said in an interview (not the one above - I read it at the theater) that he was hopeful to release the NC-17 version of the film for the home video release. ...If it's just 10 more frames, then so be it, I guess. wink.gif
post #69 of 78 Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

No but here's what I just found:
http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/movies/article/-/a/2215667/Interview-with-Evil-Dead-director-Fede-Alvarez

"This has been praised for being one of the goriest films of recent years. Did you have to cut anything?

Fede Alvarez: Ironically, the MPAA was very helpful! Sometimes they can be difficult and not tell you why things are being cut or why you are getting a certain rating. In this case they were very precise with us. They gave us notes on the first cut and all we had to get rid of was five to ten frames. I think they helped us to make a better movie, since as a director when you are told you can only show something for 25 frames you want to make sure they are the best you have. In the end we had a sharper cut."

Just to be clear, this was just me who called the upcoming Blu-ray his director's cut the other day, the only thing that I can confirm is that he said in an interview (not the one above - I read it at the theater) that he was hopeful to release the NC-17 version of the film for the home video release. ...If it's just 10 more frames, then so be it, I guess. wink.gif
Hmmm... not sure I'm buying. That response reads like one from someone trying to sell the idea that the best version of this movie is in theaters so see it and don't wait for bluray. Or maybe it's my wishful thinking that we will get an extra 17 minutes tongue.gif

My Rig

post #70 of 78 Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'd be surprised if much was cut. I mean how much more could there really be? eek.gif

Gotta be the Walking Dead effect. They just keep pushing and pushing and pushing....

31 Days of Horror:

post #71 of 78 Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Yeah I'd be surprised if much was cut. I mean how much more could there really be? eek.gif

Gotta be the Walking Dead effect. They just keep pushing and pushing and pushing....
If it was only 10 frames to make the difference between an R and an NC-17 it had to have been the tree r@pe scene.

My Rig

post #72 of 78 Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Good call. That's gotta be it.

31 Days of Horror:

post #73 of 78 Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone stay through the credits an see the nice Ash tribute.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #74 of 78 Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Unfortunately I missed it, but saw it on the web the day after. I still think I didn't miss much wink.gif
post #75 of 78 Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Yes and it was Odd. Why was it there? They also played the original recording of where the Evil dead come from for the 70/80's movie also right before that.
Pet peeve,turned me off when they decided to blame Witchcraft vs Babylon death rituals.
post #76 of 78 Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
The further away I get from having seen this version the more I want to see it again. I liked it when I saw it (opening night), but not as much as the original. I also think the pacing and runtime was very good for the movie. I'm not sure adding much more minutes helps the movie as a whole. The side characters could use more development, but the original side characters weren't much to talk about. Especially when you realize that the flashbacks in the original sequels just drops all the other characters. Even if that was for budget/time reasons it shows how little Sam thought of them.
post #77 of 78 Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

t the original side characters weren't much to talk about. Especially when you realize that the flashbacks in the original sequels just drops all the other characters. Even if that was for budget/time reasons it shows how little Sam thought of them.

Raimi originally planned to use footage from the first film as the intro for ED2. So it wasn't because he thought "little" of them. But rights issues prevented it, so he had to shoot a new intro. If one eliminates the ED2 intro and start it from the scene where Ash is slammed out the door, it works as a sequel. But the new intro confused the issue to the point where some think of ED2 as a remake instead of a sequel.

post #78 of 78 Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I knew all that. But Raimi could have reshoot the intro with the characters not missing. He didn't.

Edit: Had he not cut out the other characters the confusion probably would have been avoided.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page