post #361 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

This! Star Tours is awesome and now they have all these Jedi training things for kids, building your own lightsaber, they get to go up on stage and be trained to dual with Vader and Maul, it's way cool!

My kids never got to see the original Star Tours prior to the 2010 3D revamp, so they did not understand when their mom & I told them "this is way cooler now than it was a long time ago". Contains all new tours that now include prequel worlds in addition to the OT ones.

For those who have either never been of haven't been on Star Tours in the last few years or more, I suggest riding it 3-4 times during your next Disneyland stay. The 'tour" will be slightly different each time, and your pilot is no longer that annoying little MST3K - looking droid, but C-3PO himself. Oh - and of course it's in 3D now - 3D that works quite well.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Although Abrams has made some good movies, he hasn't made any great ones.
And SW needs a GREAT episode going forward.

It's too bad Disney didn't go with someone with more imagination....like this dude:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/if-guillermo-del-toro-had-said-yes-to-star-wars-movie/?wa_user1=3&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=quickfix&wa_user4=feature_module

Kinda reminds me of reading about Lucas's first choice for ROTJ after the DGA told him he couldn't hire Spielberg.......David Lynch.eek.gif A generation of kids could have been mentally scarred in rather different ways from what Del Toro would produce today.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #363 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Kinda reminds me of reading about Lucas's first choice for ROTJ after the DGA told him he couldn't hire Spielberg.......David Lynch.eek.gif A generation of kids could have been mentally scarred in rather different ways from what Del Toro would produce today.
One could easily argue GDT hasn't made any great movies either.
post #364 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

One could easily argue GDT hasn't made any great movies either.
Unfortunately, his name is tied to too many poorly executed projects that he did not direct. Pans Labyrinth, The Orphanage, Hellboy, Devils Backbone, these were all excellent IMO. Still, I think his creative ideas lean more towards fantasy than scifi.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #365 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, his name is tied to too many poorly executed projects that he did not direct. Pans Labyrinth, The Orphanage, Hellboy, Devils Backbone, these were all excellent IMO. Still, I think his creative ideas lean more towards fantasy than scifi.

GDT is a good filmmaker with an cool visual style - but to me said style is sorta along the lines of Peter Jackson on mescaline. Cool, but not very "Star Wars-y".

JJ Abrams is more in line with the Spielberg/Lucas style, which would in the end be more fitting for Ep VII - although I think JJ is more akin to the former when it comes to directing actors than the latter.

post #366 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think after the last 3 films a breath of fresh air from a purest might be just what the franchise needs. There was a lot to like with TPM and I loved ROTS but ATOC was crap IMO.

I found TPM to have the best score overall, IMO, of the PT films. And AOTC was certainly the weakest. ROTS, while having the most obvious callbacks to the OT themes, felt right as those repeated themes served the story.

While at least some of Williams' compositions will certainly be heard, I agree that a fresh perspective on the score (while still respecting what came before) will help, not hurt, the film.

post #367 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

You'd bite your tongue if you saw my 2 1/2 year old son and 5 year old daughter completely captivated this past weekend watching Empire Strikes Back. They watched ROTJ on Sunday and then wanted to watch ESB again! Even let them play with my beatup old 1979 Millennium Falcon, you know the old diecase Hasbro stuff that a long time ago were made in the good ol US of A cool.gif

There is something about SW, at least the originals that can be timeless if it's passed down. My kids love it but are a bit young for the whole thing, I skip over the Wampa and Rancor, etc. and no way are the watching ROTS!

To circle back, I have to say I was very excited at the thought that my kids will get to be a part of the opening night energy after dad stood in line for 16 hours and see all the nerds dressed up and cheering. Wait, this is going to be weird, there will be no 20th Century Fox drum up! eek.gif

show them attack of the clones and that will make your kids haters

neflixis our nemesis
post #368 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:

oink, I'm going to assume you either do not have kids yourself
Not lately....

Quote:
or spend much time around them in general these days. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I tend to avoid sharing the same space in time with the bugger-eating, foul smelling varmints.

Quote:
I'm thinking they will either hire Williams (at least for Ep VII) or the composer that IS hired will be directed by Abrams to "do it like John Williiams would". I've mentioned here already that it's my belief that with Abrams being a 1st generation SW fan, there will be no drastic "un-Star Wars" elements to his film. JJ will pay respect - and while he may only say it under his breath, also knows that those fans who hated on the prequels need to be won back.
Hopefully, yeah.

Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:

GDT is a good filmmaker with an cool visual style - but to me said style is sorta along the lines of Peter Jackson on mescaline. Cool, but not very "Star Wars-y".
As far as that goes, Abrams thinks lens flair flare is "cool."
So there's that too....wink.gif

Quote:
JJ Abrams is more in line with the Spielberg/Lucas style, which would in the end be more fitting for Ep VII - although I think JJ is more akin to the former when it comes to directing actors than the latter.
True, but I still would have liked to see a "breathe of fresh air" hit the SW Universe.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #369 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

Of course, John Williams is still working. Up for an Oscar this year for his Lincoln score.

Williams is 80 - depending on his health, he could very well still be actively scoring films by the time JJ & Mickey Mouse need Ep VII music.

I'm thinking they will either hire Williams (at least for Ep VII) or the composer that IS hired will be directed by Abrams to "do it like John Williiams would". I've mentioned here already that it's my belief that with Abrams being a 1st generation SW fan, there will be no drastic "un-Star Wars" elements to his film. JJ will pay respect - and while he may only say it under his breath, also knows that those fans who hated on the prequels need to be won back.

Abrams is BFFs with Michael Giacchino. It's a given that Giacchino will do the score for any movie Abrams directs and most of those he produces.

When he took over the Star Trek franchise, Abrams didn't aks Giacchino to mimick Jerry Goldsmith's themes.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #370 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Abrams is BFFs with Michael Giacchino. It's a given that Giacchino will do the score for any movie Abrams directs and most of those he produces.

When he took over the Star Trek franchise, Abrams didn't aks Giacchino to mimick Jerry Goldsmith's themes.

Just like Harry Potter movies that still used the original theme even if WIlliams didn't do all of them. A Star Wars movie without at least the opening theme isn't a Star Wars movie. Maybe you're right but I'm sure EP.VII will at least open as they always have.
post #371 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

A Star Wars movie without at least the opening theme isn't a Star Wars movie. Maybe you're right but I'm sure EP.VII will at least open as they always have.
If it doesn't, it isn't SW....it's something else.wink.gif

post #372 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

True, though both Goldsmith and Giacchino did use recognizable parts of the original Star Trek theme music. Likewise, whoever does the score for Ep7 will likely/hopefully use recognizable snippets from the original Star Wars themes.

As much as I'd like the next Star Wars trilogy to bring something fresh to the table, I'd still like a little bit of glue connecting it to the previous Star Wars films. And music would be enough of a connection for me.

Sanjay
post #373 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/01/29/director-j-j-abrams-and-his-lifelong-appreciation-of-star-wars/

Some interview bits with Abrams from StarWars.com dating back from 2006 to 2008 that the official site posted today.

One that stood out - a bit from 2008 they titled "Where he'd (JJ) like to see Star Wars go next":

“I feel like the world of Star Wars has gotten to be so vast, not just in terms of the various mediums that Star Wars occupies, but because of the visual possibilities that technology has allowed and Industrial Light & Magic is so remarkably capable at creating. My favorite thing about Star Wars is the ability to tell an incredibly personal, intimate, and emotional story against a backdrop of conflict and battle that’s planetary and massive. What I would love to see is a story about characters that I am desperately entertained by and definitely care about, and keep that story as focused as possible and make more of that than the pyrotechnics of it all which to me is what makes Star Wars so brilliant. If it’s a TV show, that’s terrific. If it’s animated I’m all for it. If it’s a radio show or a video game or an online experience — whatever it is I would love to discover in this vast universe some new characters that make me feel the way that Luke, Leia, and Han Solo did.”

He's gonna do just fine, fellow nerds.

Oh, and about that lens flare issue that sends some of you into fits of tearing out your eyeballs? SW already has some (and without home produced Photoshop or Abrams, just original ILM):

post #374 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/01/29/director-j-j-abrams-and-his-lifelong-appreciation-of-star-wars/

Some interview bits with Abrams from StarWars.com dating back from 2006 to 2008 that the official site posted today.

One that stood out - a bit from 2008 they titled "Where he'd (JJ) like to see Star Wars go next":

“I feel like the world of Star Wars has gotten to be so vast, not just in terms of the various mediums that Star Wars occupies, but because of the visual possibilities that technology has allowed and Industrial Light & Magic is so remarkably capable at creating. My favorite thing about Star Wars is the ability to tell an incredibly personal, intimate, and emotional story against a backdrop of conflict and battle that’s planetary and massive. What I would love to see is a story about characters that I am desperately entertained by and definitely care about, and keep that story as focused as possible and make more of that than the pyrotechnics of it all which to me is what makes Star Wars so brilliant. If it’s a TV show, that’s terrific. If it’s animated I’m all for it. If it’s a radio show or a video game or an online experience — whatever it is I would love to discover in this vast universe some new characters that make me feel the way that Luke, Leia, and Han Solo did.”

He's gonna do just fine, fellow nerds.

Oh, and about that lens flare issue that sends some of you into fits of tearing out your eyeballs? SW already has some (and without home produced Photoshop or Abrams, just original ILM):

Lens flares have a place, sabers clashing could be one but when they are over used and appear out of nowhere they just look obscure and distracting.

I like what he said about the characters, that was a crucial element missing from the prequel trilogy, there was not a core group of people we'd become attached to and the ones that were in through the end were mostly written so poorly the personal connection for viewers didn't really develop until about an hour into ROTS. The great Mr. McGregor saved it with some fantastic emotion in his final words to Anakin.

I think JJ mostly did a good job with this in ST, although it will be odd for me to see Spock again after watching him decorate his home with women's skin in American Horror Story wink.gif Scotty and his little creature side-kick were a bit over cheesed for my taste but Karl Urban and the others were great. Someone that can without hesitation recognize the importance of developing characters we can care about like the OT, already has a jump on some of the mess that was made of this element with the PT.

My Rig

post #375 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

when they are over used and appear out of nowhere they just look obscure and distracting.
This is the definition of ALFS.

BTW, Abrams did do an outstanding ST re-boot/prequel.

post #376 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I'm not concerned with the haters. I have a general dislike for the prequels no matter how many times I watch them with a "this time it will be different!" attitude. I'm in my HT now watching ROTJ and the magic is undeniable for me (jeesh I just finished building an AT-AT model and weathering it this evening. Yes, I'm a dork). Star Wars was the first film I can remember seeing and it definitely shaped my life. I'm happy they are making more and maybe this time they can get it right and redeem themselves.
post #377 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lens flares have a place, sabers clashing could be one but when they are over used and appear out of nowhere they just look obscure and distracting.

I like what he said about the characters, that was a crucial element missing from the prequel trilogy, there was not a core group of people we'd become attached to and the ones that were in through the end were mostly written so poorly the personal connection for viewers didn't really develop until about an hour into ROTS. The great Mr. McGregor saved it with some fantastic emotion in his final words to Anakin. PT.

Well I thought the only relationship that worked in the prequels was obi wan/an akin which really was the narrative of the whole thing

That's what made the pt somewhat palatable to me.

neflixis our nemesis
post #378 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Well I thought the only relationship that worked in the prequels was obi wan/an akin which really was the narrative of the whole thing

Even that relationship seemed forced and not as natural as it could have been to me. At the end of the last ROTS, I didn't feel as though I was watching two men who had gone through hell and back together, risked their lives for one another, and been at each other's sides in battle. There was little to no character development in and of the prequels, and no plausible relationships in my opinion either. I'm really hoping that JJ works hard to develop these two crucial aspects in the movie.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #379 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

What made it work for we're largely the very overlooked performance given by e.w throughoutthetrilogy.

I have always thought h.c.was I way over his head cast a anakin. It's a complex role and requires an actor with more honed skills.

I also really liked how l.n. portrayed qui gon.

neflixis our nemesis
post #380 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:

What made it work for we're largely the very overlooked performance given by e.w throughoutthetrilogy.

I have always thought h.c.was I way over his head cast a anakin. It's a complex role and requires an actor with more honed skills.

I also really liked how l.n. portrayed qui gon.

Same.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #381 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is the strongest storyline in the prequels.
To understand this it is important to go back to Ep. 4, where Ben discusses Annakin with Luke.
Really....the entire SW saga is based on this relationship/history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

Even that relationship seemed forced and not as natural as it could have been to me. At the end of the last ROTS, I didn't feel as though I was watching two men who had gone through hell and back together, risked their lives for one another, and been at each other's sides in battle. There was little to no character development in and of the prequels, and no plausible relationships in my opinion either.
A reasonable criticism.

Quote:
I'm really hoping that JJ works hard to develop these two crucial aspects in the movie.
This is NOT a re-boot; it is a true sequel.wink.gif

post #382 of 476 Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Sooo now without the whole Annakin/Vadar story arc, I wonder what the hell is going to be going on in this sequel.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #383 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Sooo now without the whole Annakin/Vadar story arc, I wonder what the hell is going to be going on in this sequel.
Ep.6 saw the conclusion of Anakin and Obi-wan.
Ep.7 should be the conclusion of Han, Leia, and Luke.

SW really can't go forward if these characters aren't put to rest...
This is the ONLY story arc appropriate for SW...if it doesn't happen, their fates will always be a bone of contention and a source of endless arguments for fans.

post #384 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Que the SW book nerds
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Ep.6 saw the conclusion of Anakin and Obi-wan.
Ep.7 should be the conclusion of Han, Leia, and Luke.

SW really can't go forward if these characters aren't put to rest...
This is the ONLY story arc appropriate for SW...if it doesn't happen, their fates will always be a bone of contention and a source of endless arguments for fans.

It can go on with some good history explained. It really depends on what direction JJ takes it but there is already an inconsistent number of years that pass between each episode so in theory has has some creative freedom in that regard.

Ep I : The Phantom Menace
10 years
Ep II : Attack Of The Clones
3 years
Ep III: Revenge Of The Sith
19 years
Ep IV: A New Hope
3 years
Ep V: The Empire Strikes Back
1 year
Ep VI: Return Of The Jedi

My Rig

post #385 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
The conclusion of Han, Leia and Luke was at the end of ep.6. Luke reunited with his father, who IS, so far at least, the most important character of the whole saga. Vader/Anakin redeemed himself. Han and Leia ended up together, the empire was defeated, there's nothing more the say about them. Someone new needs to be introduced in order to start a new trilogy. New story arcs. New characters. We already know Hamill, Fisher and Ford want to appear in the film, I'm fine with that but not certainly not as central characters, maybe just for the sake of continuity, or simply a grateful homage to (some of) the people who made SW in the first place. Oh and as for directing actors, Abrams is probably to Lucas what Kubrick was to Uwe Boll so I'm confident we'll get at least, and for the first time in this franchise, good performance from (most likely) great actors.
post #386 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Let Darth Plagious be the badguy for the new movies. That would give a new twist to the story.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #387 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Let Darth Plagious be the badguy for the new movies. That would give a new twist to the story.

Isn't he meant to be dead, Darth Sidieous killed him.

Frank

post #388 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
He
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Isn't he meant to be dead, Darth Sidieous killed him.

He aint more dead then Elvis.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #389 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Maybe 'StarKiller' will make an appearance?

October HorrorFest Participant
post #390 of 476 Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The conclusion of Han, Leia and Luke was at the end of ep.6. Luke reunited with his father, who IS, so far at least, the most important character of the whole saga. Vader/Anakin redeemed himself. Han and Leia ended up together, the empire was defeated, there's nothing more the say about them.
For decades fans clamored for a sequel to ROTJ.
Everyone assumed GL would give them one when the new trilogy was announced.
However, he threw everyone a curveball with the prequels...not everyone was pleased.

Quote:
Someone new needs to be introduced in order to start a new trilogy.
IIRC, Disney indicated they wanted to release a new episode every couple of years on an indefinite basis.

Quote:
New story arcs. New characters. We already know Hamill, Fisher and Ford want to appear in the film, I'm fine with that but not certainly not as central characters, maybe just for the sake of continuity, or simply a grateful homage to (some of) the people who made SW in the first place.
Sounds good to me.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page