Disney buys Lucasfilm! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 476 Old 11-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So with Disney buying Lucas; are we finally going to get ...

Spaceballs 3: The Search for 2!

smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 476 Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I agree that Lucas did stumble quite a bit lately. But it still should not discount his masterworks of Starwars and Indiana.
He hasn't even gotten an Academy Honorary Award.
Not true. In 1992 he was awarded the Irving Thalberg Memorial Award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

From the L.A. Times:
Quote:
The award is given to a "creative producer whose body of work reflects a consistently high quality of motion picture production," and is awarded only in years in which the Academy board feels there is a deserving recipient, spokesman Bob Werden said. The award has been given only 30 times.

post #93 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

Not true. In 1992 he was awarded the Irving Thalberg Memorial Award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
From the L.A. Times:

but he wasnt given the Lifetime or Honorary Oscar. The award he won was just for producers.
post #94 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

but he wasnt given the Lifetime or Honorary Oscar. The award he won was just for producers.

He isnt dead yet. wink.gif

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #95 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

He isnt dead yet. wink.gif

neither is Darth Vader (who won the award already)
post #96 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

I was kind of hoping that posting the links and sections of her essay might have produced more than an ad hominem attack.

I doubt that Paglia would consider that an attack. I mean it with all affection.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #97 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Mass exodus for the door over in Marin? I've heard that Disney isn't exactly wonderful to work for.

Pixar and Marvel seem to be doing OK.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #98 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So is it possible to go back and re-do the prequels and throw the current ones in the trash. Get rid of Jar jar, hayden and make the turn to vader more believable?
post #99 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

StarWars and Indiana Jones are HUGE movies.
Tell me who else wrote two bigger franchises for the big screen?
Can you name 10 people? Probably not.
That makes Lucas one of the best story tellers of the 20th century for film.

Look, I love Lucas. But he didn't write the screenplay for Raiders, and to give him credit for producing it making him one of the greatest storytellers of the 20th century is a stretch. Plus there's the fact that the story for both franchises are not exactly fresh and original -that was kinda the whole point, Its a rehash of old time movie ideas, esp. serials from the 30s. Lucas deserves a lot of credit for bringing back the sense of wonder and innocence to hollywood film, but original storytelling? Nah. And I really wonder just how big Indy would have been without Spielberg of Kasdan...its kinda like calling George Martin being the greatest songwriter of the 20th century because he produced the Beatles.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #100 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Pixar and Marvel seem to be doing OK.
Oh they can do okay all right but I would suspect there are people working at Luscafilm brushing up their resumes. I would also imagine that Pixar and Marvel saw some staff exoduses too. In my circles I'll probably hear of any exodus from Luscafilm.
post #101 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
"Matthew Vaughn Rumored for New 'Star Wars' Installment; Ford Interested in Revisiting Han Solo"

"Director Matthew Vaughn ("Kick Ass," "Layer Cake" and "X-Men: First Class") is rumored to be in talks to direct the newly announced "Star Wars: Episode VII," having recently dropped out of the next "X-Men" installment (old hand Bryan Singer is taking the reins). The news of "Episode VII" came last week during the Disney's announcement of the major purchase of Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion.

Meanwhile, Harrison Ford says he is open to the idea of playing Han Solo again in "Episode VII," which reportedly takes up decades after 1983's "Episode VI" left off. Presumably the older trio would hand off the story to a younger generation, a tried-and-true approach to rebooting a franchise, much as a senior Spock (Leonard Nimoy) did in J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek."

EW reports that not only Ford, but "all three"--including Mark Hammill as Luke Skywalker and Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia--are interested in being involved with the upcoming Star Wars film. EW speculates that if Ford were to draw up a new contract, it would involve a mandatory death scene for Solo. The character was originally meant to die in "Return of the Jedi," but according to Ford, his bankability as an action figure kept Solo alive."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/in-the-works-vaughn-rumored-for-new-star-wars-installment-ford-interested-in-revisiting-han-solo
post #102 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Look, I love Lucas. But he didn't write the screenplay for Raiders, and to give him credit for producing it making him one of the greatest storytellers of the 20th century is a stretch. Plus there's the fact that the story for both franchises are not exactly fresh and original -that was kinda the whole point, Its a rehash of old time movie ideas, esp. serials from the 30s. Lucas deserves a lot of credit for bringing back the sense of wonder and innocence to hollywood film, but original storytelling? Nah. And I really wonder just how big Indy would have been without Spielberg of Kasdan...its kinda like calling George Martin being the greatest songwriter of the 20th century because he produced the Beatles.

Lucas is credited as WRITER and EXEC Producer of Indiana jones.

So Lucas is not a great story teller???? You are so disrespectful. Who else was able to create an entire UNIVERSE??? Tolken may be close but his is based on medival england. The StarWars universe is unlike anything before or after. Name me another story teller who was able to build an entire UNIVERSE like Lucas.

You say StarWars/Indy were not original. I'll let you in on a secret: there are no new stories. Just the same stories with different characters. The difference is how well the story is fleshed out. Dont be fooled that a simple story cannot be profound. The Starwars story is part of the human experience for almost 40 years. What other story has had that kind of impact for so long? When historians look back 1000 years from now I can guarantee that Starwars will be part of mankinds history. Again name me another story written in the 20th century that has as much cultural impact as Starwars? There is none. Thats why hes one of the greatest story tellers of the 20th century.
post #103 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Who else was able to create an entire UNIVERSE???
Roddenberry. But I'm sure even he was inspired by Metropolis, Forbidden Planet, and a host of other old-school sci-fi films, as were other film makers. Outside of some groundbreaking cinematography in Ep4 (and the creation of ILM), I'm personally not that impressed with this franchise. So why do these SW threads bring out the worst in people, anyway? They're just movies..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #104 of 476 Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Roddenberry. But I'm sure even he was inspired by Metropolis, Forbidden Planet, and a host of other old-school sci-fi films, as were other film makers. Outside of some groundbreaking cinematography in Ep4 (and the creation of ILM), I'm personally not that impressed with this franchise. So why do these SW threads bring out the worst in people, anyway? They're just movies..

Roddenberry was a great too. But Lucas' universe is known to literally over a billion people on this earth.
post #105 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

post #106 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

So The orignal star wars cast (Han, Leia, Luke) are interested in doing Number 7
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/07/14986721-report-harrison-ford-mark-hamill-and-carrie-fisher-interested-in-returning-to-star-wars

Wonder why. wink.gif

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #107 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So The orignal star wars cast (Han, Leia, Luke) are interested in doing Number 7
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/07/14986721-report-harrison-ford-mark-hamill-and-carrie-fisher-interested-in-returning-to-star-wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Wonder why. wink.gif
...Because they love their characters of course tongue.gif

"Star Wars Episode 7: One Last Hope".
post #108 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 109
Quote:

So why do these SW threads bring out the worst in people, anyway? They're just movies..

I'll grant you, I've been a huge SW fan since it's release back in 1977 but these threads do in fact bring out "the worst" in people sometimes. Please understand that my comment is not to say that the other poster is in a "worst" category in any way. At any rate, your question leads me to believe that you weren't part of the "Star Wars Experience" so to speak. I may totally be missing the mark here but even people that I know that aren't big sci fi fans still acknowledge how huge this movie was. If I may ask, where you part of the original release?
post #109 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'll grant you, I've been a huge SW fan since it's release back in 1977 but these threads do in fact bring out "the worst" in people sometimes.

I was 5 back then and I remember we played Star Wars at school for a whole year at the very least (and I always got to be my favorite character, Vader of course! smile.gif) Way more than a year easily in fact! Then when we thought we were done with the Force, Empire came out... Good times smile.gif
post #110 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Carrie Fisher Then

Carrie_Fisher_legs.jpg

Carrie Fisher now

220px-File_Carrie_Fisher_at_WonderCon_2009_4.jpg
post #111 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Carrie Fisher Then
Carrie_Fisher_legs.jpg
Carrie Fisher now
220px-File_Carrie_Fisher_at_WonderCon_2009_4.jpg

How sad that we ALL age.

Kaboom.
post #112 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

How sad that we ALL age.

Carrie had a little help from her friends: booze and drugs.
post #113 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I was 5 back then and I remember we played Star Wars at school for a whole year at the very least (and I always got to be my favorite character, Vader of course! smile.gif) Way more than a year easily in fact! Then when we thought we were done with the Force, Empire came out... Good times smile.gif

Aw man, you're taking me back! If that's the case then you definitely remember the SW Experience then.

And to the person posting Carrie Fisher's pic.....just another example of the "impact" of SW. Even as a 7 year old she was hot to me! BTW, on a side note, Wishful Drinking I thought was excellent.
post #114 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

How sad that we ALL age.

damn she was hot!!!!..... she looks so gorgeous on the pic above...

In all fairness she also had her share of problems throughout her life (alcohol and drugs if I'm not mistaken)...That didn't help. Sharon Stone is only 2 years younger than her...
post #115 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

damn she was hot!!!!..... she looks so gorgeous on the pic above...
In all fairness she also had her share of problems throughout her life (alcohol and drugs if I'm not mistaken)...That didn't help. Sharon Stone is only 2 years younger than her...

Yeah, but, Sharon didn't have parents who were A-List stars. Carrie grew up in the company of famous singers and movie stars. There's a party going on every day of her life. Not to say that she took a very bad road but she sure had some help getting there....

Bobby 

post #116 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Yeah, but, Sharon didn't have parents who were A-List stars. Carrie grew up in the company of famous singers and movie stars. There's a party going on every day of her life. Not to say that she took a very bad road but she sure had some help getting there....

I'll say. Her whole life was dysfunctional plus, she's bi-polar. Paul Simon couldn't get away fast enough.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #117 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
In all fairness, have you guys seen Mark Hamill these days? Yikes!

Kaboom.
post #118 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I'll grant you, I've been a huge SW fan since it's release back in 1977 but these threads do in fact bring out "the worst" in people sometimes. Please understand that my comment is not to say that the other poster is in a "worst" category in any way. At any rate, your question leads me to believe that you weren't part of the "Star Wars Experience" so to speak. I may totally be missing the mark here but even people that I know that aren't big sci fi fans still acknowledge how huge this movie was. If I may ask, where you part of the original release?
Star Wars (and the recent glut of superhero movies) probably fall under the "fantasy" genre more than "sci-fi", IMO. And sci-fi is my favorite genre, as far as movies go. But since you asked, I was 15 when Ep4 was released, and probably didn't actually see it until almost 19 years of age. And as a "Trek" lover, this really should've grabbed me.

I told someone not long ago, that perhaps I would've fallen for the franchise hook-line-and-sinker if I were a bit younger. But coming in a little later, I think I saw how paper-thin the story really is; everything is stark black and white with no shades of grey whatsoever. I mean, I could see Vader scaring a few 4 year-olds, but found nothing scary about him at all. Lucas could've went a bit "darker" with that character at least.

But this thread has not gone "off-the-rails". Yet.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #119 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Star Wars (and the recent glut of superhero movies) probably fall under the "fantasy" genre more than "sci-fi", IMO. And sci-fi is my favorite genre, as far as movies go. But since you asked, I was 15 when Ep4 was released, and probably didn't actually see it until almost 19 years of age. And as a "Trek" lover, this really should've grabbed me.
I told someone not long ago, that perhaps I would've fallen for the franchise hook-line-and-sinker if I were a bit younger. But coming in a little later, I think I saw how paper-thin the story really is; everything is stark black and white with no shades of grey whatsoever. I mean, I could see Vader scaring a few 4 year-olds, but found nothing scary about him at all. Lucas could've went a bit "darker" with that character at least.

typical Treky bashing SW.
Funny how the latest StarTrek was more like Starwars? And it was the most sucessful one yet? Strange.
post #120 of 476 Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

It just did, I think.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page