Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 268

'Life Of Pi': The Reviews Are In!

Ang Lee's "Life of Pi," the adaptation of Yann Martel's best-selling novel and an early Oscar contender, received its first round of sterling reviews at the New York Film Festival, but with the latest wave of critiques, the praises just keep piling up.

Critics are lauding Lee's direction and his use of 3-D, with some even calling it the best use of the technology to date.

We've read the reviews, so you don't have to. Here is what the critics are saying about "Life of Pi."

The Story

"Our playful, not-always-reliable narrator here is Pi Patel, played by newcomer Suraj Sharma as a teen and as a grown man reflecting back on his adventure by Irrfan Khan. As a youth, Pi, his parents and brother set out from India, where the family runs a zoo in a botanical garden, to Canada. Pi's father brings along some of his menagerie on their voyage, including a tiger named Richard Parker with which Pi had a terrifying encounter as a boy. Their ship sinks in a storm, with Pi the only human survivor aboard a lifeboat with an orangutan, a hyena, a zebra with a broken leg and Richard Parker. Survival of the fittest thins their numbers into a life-and-death duel, and eventually an uneasy truce of companionship, between Richard Parker and Pi." — David Germain,Associated Press

The 3-D

"Like 'Hugo,' from Martin Scorsese, 'Life of Pi' puts 3D in the hands of a world-class film artist. Lee uses 3D with the delicacy and lyricism of a poet. You don't just watch this movie, you live it. Every sight and sound is astounding, especially when you consider that the tiger is a digital creation." — Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Ang Lee

"It turns out Lee has more affinity for Pi the yarn-spinner than for any of his other heroes. His movies ('Lust, Caution'; 'Crouching Tiger,' 'Hidden Dragon'; 'Hulk'; 'Brokeback Mountain'; 'Taking Woodstock') center on emotions that can't be suppressed and finally burst forth — but the meticulousness of his framing and color-coordination (or that mythical cowboy iconography in 'Brokeback Mountain') make his work seem one step removed, as if in a terrarium. In 'Life of Pi,' he finally has a story in which that very distance is the source of the emotion." — David Edelstein, New York Magazine

The Final Word

"The leap of faith required for Lee to believe this could be put up onscreen in a credible way was necessarily considerable. His fingerprints are at once invisible and yet all over the film in the tact, intelligence, curiosity and confidence that characterizes the undertaking. At all times, the film, shot by Claudio Miranda and with production design by David Gropman, is ravishing to look at, and the 3D work is discreetly powerful." — Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I am almost convinced to go see this....eek.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 55 Old 11-22-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Will certainly see it in 3D. Too bad that it is not also running in Atmos in the Los Angeles area.
post #4 of 55 Old 11-22-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Saw it last night in glorious 2-D. Mrs. Archi read the book a few years back and loved it, so it was a given she'd drag me to the movie version on opening night. Glad she did. Pretty impressive visuals, captivating story. They did an amazing job with Richard Parker (the tiger), both real and CGI; the blending was seamless. You really felt Pi & Parker were on that little lifeboat together. Wait for the whale scene - it's stunning.
post #5 of 55 Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My daughter and I saw this movie last night in 3D (powered by Christie). I heard that this was a really good book, but never read it. I thought to dive into this by watching the movie instead. We both really enjoyed it. The story was well illustrated and while it got off to a slow start the pace picks up after about 30 minutes and it was a glorious ride from that point forward. The tiger was well done, the 3D was well done...get out and see this movie. I am surprised that there isnt more chatter about it here on AVS (is anyone even still here anymore)?
post #6 of 55 Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I am surprised that there isnt more chatter about it here on AVS (is anyone even still here anymore)?

Me too. I expected this thread to be rockin' & rollin' by now. Instead -- crickets. confused.gif

This is the kind of film that can drag you back to the cinema and make you remember why the collective experience of a big screen movie is so special. There's a reason why it's had so many 3 1/2 star reviews. It's not perfect, but yes, it's that good.
post #7 of 55 Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Having seen it last night in 3D, I can't get overly excited about it. Most of the action is easily seen in the trailer. I would guess that Ang Lee had to come up with something to film the novel and the exposition of the film simply drags out too long. But that is my opinion and probably not shared by most. Technically, the film can be dazzling, but the screenplay, IMHO, is weak. Except for the beginning and the ending of the movie, the major stuff is there on the trailer. This should have been a film that I would have been more than willing to immediately purchase when the BR became available. Not now and it would be more dependent upon price, a really low price. It will be interesting to see how well this does at the box office over the next few weeks. It would certainly not be a film that I would be willing to see again on a big screen in a theater. Too bad that the movie didn't live up to the exciting trailer.
post #8 of 55 Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Having seen it last night in 3D, I can't get overly excited about it. Most of the action is easily seen in the trailer. I would guess that Ang Lee had to come up with something to film the novel and the exposition of the film simply drags out too long. But that is my opinion and probably not shared by most. Technically, the film can be dazzling, but the screenplay, IMHO, is weak. Except for the beginning and the ending of the movie, the major stuff is there on the trailer. This should have been a film that I would have been more than willing to immediately purchase when the BR became available. Not now and it would be more dependent upon price, a really low price. It will be interesting to see how well this does at the box office over the next few weeks. It would certainly not be a film that I would be willing to see again on a big screen in a theater. Too bad that the movie didn't live up to the exciting trailer.

" Most of the action is easily seen in the trailer. ". Action!? Its not an action flick.
post #9 of 55 Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Me too. I expected this thread to be rockin' & rollin' by now. Instead -- crickets. confused.gif
This is the kind of film that can drag you back to the cinema and make you remember why the collective experience of a big screen movie is so special. There's a reason why it's had so many 3 1/2 star reviews. It's not perfect, but yes, it's that good.

Unfortunately and disappointingly, there were only about 30 people in the theater for a 7:00pm showing on a Saturday night! I have a feeling that this wont do well...its too bad, because for those who know nothing about this movie, will lose out. I had a kid roughly 17, mention to me on the way out (as if he chose the wrong movie to begin with)...."that Pi movie was really really good...nothing like I expected. I am glad I saw it".
post #10 of 55 Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

" Most of the action is easily seen in the trailer. ". Action!? Its not an action flick.

I suppose being tossed around in a violent storm isn't action? Perhaps, I should have rephrased and written that the essence of the film is in the trailer. And it is not much of a stretch to say that if one has seen the trailer, one has seen the film.
post #11 of 55 Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

I suppose being tossed around in a violent storm isn't action? Perhaps, I should have rephrased and written that the essence of the film is in the trailer. And it is not much of a stretch to say that if one has seen the trailer, one has seen the film.

Actually, it's a huge stretch. rolleyes.gif Reed Richards couldn't stretch that far (now there's a character from a movie I bet you'd love).
post #12 of 55 Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Actually, it's a huge stretch. rolleyes.gif Reed Richards couldn't stretch that far (now there's a character from a movie I bet you'd love).

Someone has to like the movie and you are one of them. There is more than enough room for differences of opinion and preferences. The box office shows $30M and that is good. When I saw it about 2/3rds of the theater was filled and that was at a premium AMC ETX theater, meaning that it costs more than their regular theaters in the mutli-plex.
post #13 of 55 Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Saw the movie this weekend and the theater was pretty full. I thought the movie was good but not great and found the 3D to be very underwhelming. I really haven't seen any good 3D outside of Avatar aside from a couple of animated films. Loved Richard Parker though! That was impressive CGI!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #14 of 55 Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Saw this film in Dolby Atmos yesterday. What a treat. Terrific acting and nice story. Inoffensively positive view on religion that never came across as preachy, at least to someone as non-religious, non-spiritual as me. Technically, the film was eye candy (and ear candy from the opening song on). Took good advantage of Atmos, with a surround mix that was a little more agressive than I expected for this type of film. Scenes on the ship had some overhead imaging, creaking decks and all (wish Atmos had been available when Master & Commander was made). The 3D photography, using the Cameron/Pace system, had natural depth. Even the end titles have very nice 3D. A couple of moments look video-ish, but otherwise clean/crisp images. I'm going to try to catch it again before it leaves theatres; definitely worth seeing on a big BIG screen. Will be picking up the soundtrack as well.

Sanjay
post #15 of 55 Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I liked it quite a bit, and thought the 3-D was superb. I would think it would be a hit in India, and that alone would be able to put it in the black. Not sure if this is a multiple viewer for me, however.

CW Hinkle
post #16 of 55 Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Saw it again at the AMC since my fiance wanted to check it out. First film I have seen where theirs actual content in the black bars on the shifting aspect ratio scenes (The flying fish scene)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #17 of 55 Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Borrowed it last night upon the insistence of my wife who only saw 3 movies last year, a record.

For a 2D DVD, I can see why fans of 3D (I'm not, though I almost got the Sony HW30 instead of the VW85 for the same price) would be mesmerized. This movie crosses many religions and consists of various ethnic groups, written by a Canadian who grew up in various countries.

As someone said, this is NOT an action movie, The author and the director spin a wonder tale about the human spirit from a boy's view point and his relationship with Richard Parker, the Bengal tiger.

It's a touching story for the entire family. I was curious why a small portion was shot in 4x3, not the traditional 16x9.
post #18 of 55 Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Very forgettable film for me.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #19 of 55 Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Finally got around to watching my Blu-ray last night - amazing film making - Ang Lee is a true master of the craft. I haven't read the book but thought the ending was nicely done.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #20 of 55 Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Watched a few nights ago. Enjoyed, but really didn't need the "Gump/Titanic flashing-back-and-forth". Excellent cinematography. Will probably watch again on BD.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #21 of 55 Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Well I nearly didn't make it because the 1st half was such a snore fest but once they were out to sea with the tiger then the movie came to into focus. If you can make it past the 1st hour you might enjoy like I did. But I'm afraid most folks esp the younger generation who if they don't see some action or T & A will switch it off within 30 min or so. But it was an interesting story of survival and faith whether it was true or not.
post #22 of 55 Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I thought this film was fantastic, Im glad I bought this on a blind buy.

Frank

post #23 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I had reservations about this one, but Fox sent me a blu ray copy to review and I loved every second of it. Ang definitely deserved the Oscar over Spielberg.

David Budo
post #24 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It had some stunning cinematography. Put me in the minority of those that didn’t think it was slow. From beginning to end, I saw it as the weaving of a story.

In reading the posts, I noticed no one has brought up
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
cannibalism, which is my interpretation of the human story, and how Pi managed to survive. There weren’t enough supplies onboard to last almost 8 months at sea.

I need to watch this again.
post #25 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It had some stunning cinematography. Put me in the minority of those that didn’t think it was slow. From beginning to end, I saw it as the weaving of a story.

cannibalism, which is my interpretation of the human story, and how Pi managed to survive. There weren’t enough supplies onboard to last almost 8 months at sea.

I suggest reading the book instead; far more nuanced, as books tend to be. And it's a quick read. Unless the movie's visuals are compelling you to see them again - which is fair.
post #26 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You got it.
The movie makes it plain (don't know about the book).

post #27 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

I have no problem with that, the weaving of the story BUT cut to the chase of the movie already. Yes I understand the story being told by Pi and his friend is required esp in the end to tidy things up nicely but in the beg it should be there briefly but it went on way too long the exchange between Pi and his author friend in the beg. The movie would have been a lot better IMO had they cut that back and got into the meat & potatoes rather than showing them jabber back n forth. Let the movie show us that...what they were talking about. No need to spoon me the info like a child.
post #28 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

No need to spoon me the info like a child.
I felt the same. But it's rated PG so...
post #29 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #30 of 55 Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I saw Life of Pi in the theater in 3D. I am ambivalent about the film. Ang Lee's visuals and special effects were stunning, perhaps the best I have seen anywhere. At the end of the day, it had told a story that was both interesting and moving. The trouble, though, was getting there. I thought the storytelling lagged until the last 20 percent of the film when it hit its stride and was really good. Anyway, despite its several wonderfully well done elements, I thought it took too long to get to the point so I gave it 7 Stars out of 10. I have no particular interest in seeing it again on BD.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page