The Silver Lining's Playbook - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 109 Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276

Life doesn't always go according to plan. Pat Solatano (Bradley Cooper) has lost everything -- his house, his job, and his wife. He now finds himself living back with his mother (Jacki Weaver) and father (Robert DeNiro) after spending eight months is a state institution on a plea bargain. Pat is determined to rebuild his life, remain positive and reunite with his wife, despite the challenging circumstances of their separation. All Pat's parents want is for him to get back on his feet-and to share their family's obsession with the Philadelphia Eagles football team. When Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own, things get complicated. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his wife, but only if he'll do something very important for her in return. As their deal plays out, an unexpected bond begins to form between them, and silver linings appear in both of their lives.

I'll probably see it this afternoon, it looks fun. I like the cast, even if Bradley Cooper has never been a favorite of mine, but he looks fine in it (And Jennifer Lawrence looks way more than fine biggrin.gif)

And by the way how come a movie rated R in the U.S ends up with a G in Canada? confused.gif

(sorry for typo in the thread title - maybe Larry on someone can correct it?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

...saw it as planned smile.gif what a great, great little movie! I hadn't seen DeNiro that good in a long time. One could say the movie is sort of a rom-com but that's not how I see it. It has some rather funny moments, with a more restraint Chris Tucker, which gives me the impression that the guy can actually act besides his funny side. Bradley Cooper was really good I must say, I don't even know exactly why I generally don't really like him, but I did this time. And Jennifer Lawrence just keeps getting better - on all fronts wink.gif Is the plot predictable? Yes. But the way we get from point A to point B is done in a very charming, at times even moving, way. As they say, it's not the destination that matters, but the journey. And this one stands up imo.
post #3 of 109 Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
heard nothing but good things about this. can't wait to see it.

talked to my son and he said this and moonrise kingdom were the 2 best films he's seen this year.

neflixis our nemesis
post #4 of 109 Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

wow saw it over the weekend and i was blown away.

was not expecting a film this good.

really a gem of a movie. if members haven't seen this it is a must view.
too good to wait for dvd.

superlative acting crew.

and who would have thought bradley cooper can really act?

and i have
a major crush on my sweetie, ms. lawrence.

neflixis our nemesis
post #5 of 109 Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think they initially announced it for february, but as the film continues to perform really well in theaters, and the oscars buzz, there's no official date now. I guess they want to see where it can go first (100 millions?)... Jennifer Lawrence won the SAG for best actress, and she's definitely my choice for the oscars, no matter how many Jessica Chastain movies are in competition wink.gif One of my favorite movies of 2012.
post #6 of 109 Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

i went to a sunday matinee and it was almost full.

the word of mouth on this one is really taking off.

neflixis our nemesis
post #7 of 109 Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After 17 weeks, the film still manages to make a weekend of 3.7 million... amazing. And so deserved. cool.gif
post #8 of 109 Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 109 Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Finally got around to seeing this and liked it well enough, but the best thing I got out of the movie was being introduced to Alabama Shakes on the soundtrack. Man oh man this is a great band!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NHOBwMZl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
post #10 of 109 Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post

Finally got around to seeing this and liked it well enough, but the best thing I got out of the movie was being introduced to Alabama Shakes on the soundtrack. Man oh man this is a great band!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NHOBwMZl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Warning Potential SPOILERS:

Their we're 2 other scenes with a killer soundtrack. Zeppelins what is and what never should be and the Dylan/Cash duet of girl from the north country.

neflixis our nemesis
post #11 of 109 Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Loved everything abput this film and will be buying the Blu Ray upon its release.

David Budo
post #12 of 109 Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I skipped Silver Linings Playbook until I saw the Oscar nominations but then decided to see it in the theater. I was glad I did. If anybody had told me that a romantic comedy involving two characters suffering mental illnesses could me made to work I would have scoffed. I would have been wrong. Jennifer Lawrence's Best Actress Oscar was richly deserved and Bradley Cooper gave the finest performance of his career. I loved the screenplay so much, I later read the novel and thought the changes David O. Russell made to Matthew Quick's book improved the story. I highly, highly, recommend this film! 9 Stars out of 10.
post #13 of 109 Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed! There really wasn't a weak performance among the cast.

David Budo
post #14 of 109 Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Agreed! There really wasn't a weak performance among the cast.

That's right. I should have mentioned Robert De Nero's wonderful performance as Pat's father, Pat Sr. In the book, he was a thoroughly unappealing guy but Russell's screenplay and De Nero's luminous performance made Pat Sr. quite sympathetic but not at the expense of not showing us his less appealing qualities.
post #15 of 109 Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

That's right. I should have mentioned Robert De Nero's wonderful performance as Pat's father, Pat Sr. In the book, he was a thoroughly unappealing guy but Russell's screenplay and De Nero's luminous performance made Pat Sr. quite sympathetic but not at the expense of not showing us his less appealing qualities.

Interesting. Apparently, his emotional reaction was unscripted.

David Budo
post #16 of 109 Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Interesting. Apparently, his emotional reaction was unscripted.

Are you talking about that one scene Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
when he's with his son and he starts to cry? That scene was indeed totally improvised by Robert De Niro. He told the director he wanted to try something for that scene - that obviously wasn't scripted. In various interviews, the director said when you have DeNiro asking you for this you just shut up, sit back and enjoy, or something in that line smile.gif Even Bradley Cooper's reactions are genuine, as nobody knew what De Niro would come up with. It's a great scene.

All 3 talked about it in interviews.
post #17 of 109 Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Are you talking about that one scene Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
when he's with his son and he starts to cry? That scene was indeed totally improvised by Robert De Niro. He told the director he wanted to try something for that scene - that obviously wasn't scripted. In various interviews, the director said when you have DeNiro asking you for this you just shut up, sit back and enjoy, or something in that line smile.gif Even Bradley Cooper's reactions are genuine, as nobody knew what De Niro would come up with. It's a great scene.

All 3 talked about it in interviews.

Thats the one! Amazing stuff. I actually got emotional during the scene Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
outside the theater with Bradley and Jennifer where she flips out on him.
It was so raw that it got to me.

David Budo
post #18 of 109 Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I saw this film at the cinema and was really taken by surprise as I was expecting it to be the usual slushy girly stuff - loved the camerawork and the female lead has an amazing ability to hold your focus (and not just for obvious reasons lol)

Definitely worth a watch!
post #19 of 109 Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

my teenage son saw it and told me it was a really good movie.

i laughed and said i had no interest in a chick flick.

he said it wasn't a chick flick

being the all knowing parent i disagreed.

heard the buzz and finally went to see it in January

yep the kid was right. not a chick flick and my second favorite movie of 2012.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #20 of 109 Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

my teenage son saw it and told me it was a really good movie.

i laughed and said i had no interest in a chick flick.

he said it wasn't a chick flick

being the all knowing parent i disagreed.

heard the buzz and finally went to see it in January

yep the kid was right. not a chick flick and my second favorite movie of 2012.

Despite 2012 having produced a remarkably high number of outstanding films, Silver Linings Playbook was one of my favorites too. I wouldn't have minded if David O. Russell had won the Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar and thought he would have been a better choice for the Best Director Oscar than the winner, Ang Lee.
post #21 of 109 Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Very interesting. With so much publicity not to mention the nod for best picture I'm astounded as to why I can nearly count on one hand the number of people who posted in this thread that they liked it.
All whopping 6 of you with only 20 posts...something tells me that the ones who thought it was a stinking boring snoozer didn't want to be the solely party pooper.
post #22 of 109 Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
My contrarian review....

Whenever a Hollywood studio wants to hedge its bets for a year-end award, they go to the tried and true formula of a movie about the mentally ill.

The Bad:
I didn't give a sh_t about ANY of the annoying, self-absorbed characters....I kept hoping someone would run over the jogging jerks in an SUV and be done with it.
The dark comedy was too little and too far in between.

The Good:
Strong acting, with Bradley Cooper in his best performance stealing the show...I completely bought him.

Overall, I rate this film as a 4/10.

Before the end of the week I should receive Argo, and with it my completion of the BP majors.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #23 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Very interesting. With so much publicity not to mention the nod for best picture I'm astounded as to why I can nearly count on one hand the number of people who posted in this thread that they liked it.
All whopping 6 of you with only 20 posts...something tells me that the ones who thought it was a stinking boring snoozer didn't want to be the solely party pooper.

The film is still playing in theaters, it made more than 6 times its budget, word of mouth kinda worked it seems. It started really slow, playing in only a handful of theaters. But people kept going. The party poopers are the ones who can be counted on one hand.
post #24 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The film is still playing in theaters, it made more than 6 times its budget, word of mouth kinda worked it seems. It started really slow, playing in only a handful of theaters. But people kept going. The party poopers are the ones who can be counted on one hand.

Yeah, before Silver Linings Playbook garnered all those Oscar nominations, I had never heard of it. I then saw it in the theater and was glad I did. I may buy the BD but haven't decide on that yet. In any event, it's a wonderful film.
post #25 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

My blu ray is arriving as I type this. biggrin.gif

David Budo
post #26 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

My contrarian review....

Whenever a Hollywood studio wants to hedge its bets for a year-end award, they go to the tried and true formula of a movie about the mentally ill.

The Bad:
I didn't give a sh_t about ANY of the annoying, self-absorbed characters....I kept hoping someone would run over the jogging jerks in an SUV and be done with it.

The Good:
Strong acting, with Bradley Cooper in his best performance stealing the show...I completely bought him.

Before the end of the week I should receive Argo, and with it my completion of the BP majors.
Ah, what a relief. I knew you would be back me up on this garbage boring movie Oinkster. You know, this movie is one those that you hope and pray that's there's more to the trailer and initial gut instinct that this would not be my cup of tea. From all the scenes I've seen before it just didn't seem at all interesting or enjoyable. And I def agree with ya on BC, he's always on top of his game and he was great in this but this could not save the sinking ship by himself.

Well, just got done with it..well at least half of it I couldn't take anymore of this contrived nonsense. This time my initial gut instinct played out exactly. Again I was hoping not to be the case as I loved BC & RD when they teamed up last years best movie Limitless. And it was rather hilarious the whole cast was on Katie Couric show a while to promote the movie and Dinero was sobbing like wuss and he was acting like the theme was so deep and touching I thought it was all so
self-peddling fake sell out crap the great Deniro has to stoop down to and try to sell this mess.

And I never like any of David O Russell's films either so it's not a surprise for me. His films are bleh and much to do about nothing..
post #27 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My contrarian review....

The Bad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Ah, what a relief. I knew you would be back me up on this garbage boring movie Oinkster.

This is hopeless, you're on your own my friends. wink.gif
post #28 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is hopeless, you're on your own my friends. wink.gif
Hey that's cool man. You're lucky that you were able to enjoy it so much more than Oink and I. But you know for the most part I'm with you on most films but not this time buddy. And trust me I wish every movie I watch is an Argo, Life of Pi or Django.
post #29 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quirky mentally ill characters DONE RIGHT = One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
I could sympathize and feel the humanity of the patients who were ill.
People who were worthy of help and worth saving.

"Pat" and "Tiffany" self-absorption and obsessiveness earned little empathy from me.

The Big Redemption?
Nah...I could care less where their lives went, whether they live happily ever after, or are locked into adjacent padded cells.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #30 of 109 Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quirky mentally ill characters DONE RIGHT = One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
Or my fav Magnolia and Punch drunk Love both by PTA
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page