Oblivion - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I thought Oblivion was better as well, though not great or anything. As I mentioned in the Oblivion thread, I thought that the design on Oblivion was extremely well done. The house, the bubble ship, the graphics on the work surface, all of that stuff was extremely tastefully done.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I thought Oblivion was better as well, though not great or anything. As I mentioned in the Oblivion thread, I thought that the design on Oblivion was extremely well done. The house, the bubble ship, the graphics on the work surface, all of that stuff was extremely tastefully done.

Good point, which I meant to mention earlier but forget. Oblivion is a serviceable action pic but not much more than that. That's also what I thought of Elysium but I'm not willing to make a comparison of it with Oblivion until I see Elysium again too.
post #363 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Try her in Malick's To The Wonder.....mmmmm.....
I didn't know about "Land of Oblivion" (2011). It's in Russian and French so I couldn't understand the dialogue but it's about a married couple and radio active zone. It may be a prequel to this Oblivion. biggrin.gif
Yes, Olga is in it as a bride. And there is a shower scene.
post #364 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Replace Malick with Bay and I'm in.tongue.gif
God will get you for that, Wabo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

I didn't know about "Land of Oblivion" (2011). It's in Russian and French so I couldn't understand the dialogue but it's about a married couple and radio active zone. It may be a prequel to this Oblivion. biggrin.gif
Yes, Olga is in it as a bride. And there is a shower scene.
(quickly links to NF to find...)

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #365 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Hahaha. Fly in that half-apple....which might have been needed for overs.

I think you would find the extras on the making of the film fascinating. Highly recommended.

Agreed. Watched it all twice over. Good content like that is never enough.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #366 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Is this one of those despicable "rental" disks with none of the extras? There oughta' be a law against that.

One of the most chicken s*** practices in the industry...IMO.
Quote:

Try her in Malick's To The Wonder.....mmmmm.....

I remember you recommending that to me a while back. I just can't make myself undertake the movie...which doesn't sound interesting to me.frown.gif

But I'm all in with gwsat's review...and waboman's wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #367 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I remember you recommending that [To the wonder to]me a while back. I just can't make myself undertake the movie...which doesn't sound interesting to me.frown.gif

But I'm all in with gwsat's review...and waboman's wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks for your compliment concerning my impressions of Oblivion.

Although both Malick and To the Wonder have Oklahoma roots, I have not been able to convince myself to watch his film. Despite his undeniable artistry, for my tastes at least, Malick's work is too often either depressing, vague, or both. A critic whose work I admire, but who makes me crazy too, brilliantly summarized what is wrong with To the Wonder: "[Malick is] a filmmaker who can't see the forest for the craftsmanship." Indeed! smile.gif
post #368 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll eventually proabably get around to seeing To the Wonder. It just has to compete on the list.
post #369 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One of the most chicken s*** practices in the industry...IMO.
I remember you recommending that to me a while back. I just can't make myself undertake the movie...which doesn't sound interesting to me.frown.gif
Unlike other filmmakers, with Malick it is all about the journey.
And his journeys are unlike anyone else's.wink.gif
This is what makes him unique among today's filmmakers....no one else does this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Thanks for your compliment concerning my impressions of Oblivion.

Although both Malick and To the Wonder have Oklahoma roots
When the movie switches to Oklahoma, it could have been anywhere in America.
Malick wasn't trying to be specific.

Quote:
I have not been able to convince myself to watch his film. Despite his undeniable artistry, for my tastes at least, Malick's work is too often either depressing, vague, or both. A critic whose work I admire, but who makes me crazy too, brilliantly summarized what is wrong with To the Wonder: "[Malick is] a filmmaker who can't see the forest for the craftsmanship." Indeed! smile.gif
I respectfully disagree.

post #370 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Like Bay, Malick is all about the journey.

Agree about Bay. Malick however is Zzzzz. wink.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #371 of 539 Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Agree about Bay. Malick however is Zzzzz. wink.gif
I thought we were friends?tongue.gif

post #372 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

brilliantly summarized what is wrong with To the Wonder: "[Malick is] a filmmaker who can't see the forest for the craftsmanship."
Not unlike the great Michael Bay.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #373 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Although both Malick and To the Wonder have Oklahoma roots, I have not been able to convince myself to watch his film. Despite his undeniable artistry, for my tastes at least, Malick's work is too often either depressing, vague, or both.

Malick’s movies are a big hit in the comatose ward at hospitals. Then again, it could be they are comatose from watching his movies. It’s the chicken or egg kinda thing.
post #374 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Not unlike the great Michael Bay.

About ten years ago I was working on a shoot with the guys who were the camera assistants on Pearl Harbor. In chatting, I told them that I would like to have worked on that film. They looked very solemnly at me and responded "No...you wouldn't." These are legendary ACs, and they made it a point to avoid Bay in the future in their careers. biggrin.gif
post #375 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

About ten years ago I was working on a shoot with the guys who were the camera assistants on Pearl Harbor. In chatting, I told them that I would like to have worked on that film. They looked very solemnly at me and responded "No...you wouldn't." These are legendary ACs, and they made it a point to avoid Bay in the future in their careers. biggrin.gif

I have long regarded Michael Bay as a hack and stay as far away from his films as possible. After my last post, in which I threw Terrance Malick under the bus, I guess this one makes me look like a hater. I'm not a hater, though, In fact, I think Malick's Days of Heaven is a work of genius. I also think highly of The Thin Red Line, but my admiration of that film is probably because the book upon which it is based was written by the great James Jones.
post #376 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Does Michael Bay = Roland Emmerich?

btw: 1998's Godzilla is one of my favs.
post #377 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have long regarded Michael Bay as a hack and stay as far away from his films as possible. After my last post, in which I threw Terrance Malick under the bus, I guess this one makes me look like a hater. I'm not a hater, though, In fact, I think Malick's Days of Heaven is a work of genius. I also think highly of The Thin Red Line, but my admiration of that film is probably because the book upon which it is based was written by the great James Jones.

I just never liked working with difficult directors. That said, that's when you become the most valuable and in demand in my field. I finally got there, but it was a rough journey. But there's "difficult" directors, and impossible directors.

Bill Paxton once told me that Jim Cameron and I would really work well together...that he'd really dig my military background, etc. I thought "eek.gif No thanks." biggrin.gif
post #378 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

Does Michael Bay = Roland Emmerich?
Damn. What did Roland ever do to you? Besides Godzilla, 10K BC, 2012, Day After Tomor.... never mind.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #379 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill Paxton once told me that Jim Cameron and I would really work well together...that he'd really dig my military background, etc. I thought "eek.gif No thanks." biggrin.gif

In his early career, Cameron did have the reputation of being terribly difficult to work with. I had the idea, though, that in more recent years he had calmed down. For example, in his early years Cameron seemed unable to stay married for very long but in 2000 he married Suzy Amis and they have three kids and are still together after nearly 14 years. Have I been giving Cameron too much credit?
post #380 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Age does tend to mellow most of us. Cameron is proabably the same. I also spent a few months around Linda Hamilton, but didn't ever hear her talk about him.

He came up during a real boom time in Hollywood when money was flowing mighty freely. Many in his peer group were "endulged." Very different now.
post #381 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 624
Oblivion was on one of the movie channels last night, so I watched again for the fourth time. I tried to watch it in a way that I could identify what it was that made it grow on me so much.

I wasnt a big fan the first time, but even watching it critically last night, despite it's unarguable faults, my opinion of it went up once again.

I think what I hadn't seen before is that behind the Sci-Fi aspect, this is purely a love story. And a pretty good one at that. Love remembered, love found, love tragically lost, and finally love found again.

The sets and CGI are really top notch, the color of the movie is also really good. It's been a while since we've had daylight Sci-Fi, and the whole film is very easy on the eyes, as are the lead actresses.

Finally, and I think this is key, is the soundtrack drives this movie so well. The recurring theme throughout the movie is like little DNA strips that tease you until being realized by the absolutely perfect end credits song by M83 and Susanne Sundfør.

In the end, the movies I like best are the movies that move me, even a little. Most of my favorite movies are probably technically better than Oblivion, but I'm never going to be snobbish, and I'll listen to my gut. I'm going to wait a month and watch it again. If I still feel the same way, Oblivion is going to have a place in my favorites.
Scott Simonian and darthrsg like this.
post #382 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

I'll listen to my gut.
Just as long as you don't try to think with it....we have recently had some serious catastrophes with those who did.wink.gif

BTW, I try to feed mine.tongue.gif

post #383 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Oblivion was on one of the movie channels last night, so I watched again for the fourth time. I tried to watch it in a way that I could identify what it was that made it grow on me so much.

I wasnt a big fan the first time, but even watching it critically last night, despite it's unarguable faults, my opinion of it went up once again.

I think what I hadn't seen before is that behind the Sci-Fi aspect, this is purely a love story. And a pretty good one at that. Love remembered, love found, love tragically lost, and finally love found again.

The sets and CGI are really top notch, the color of the movie is also really good. It's been a while since we've had daylight Sci-Fi, and the whole film is very easy on the eyes, as are the lead actresses.

Finally, and I think this is key, is the soundtrack drives this movie so well. The recurring theme throughout the movie is like little DNA strips that tease you until being realized by the absolutely perfect end credits song by M83 and Susanne Sundfør.

In the end, the movies I like best are the movies that move me, even a little. Most of my favorite movies are probably technically better than Oblivion, but I'm never going to be snobbish, and I'll listen to my gut. I'm going to wait a month and watch it again. If I still feel the same way, Oblivion is going to have a place in my favorites.

Thank you for this review. Many well-made points.
And after all the action and philosophic endeavors it was first and foremost a love story about two people who finally found each other.
post #384 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes yes yes; excellent review, Tack! As you point out, this is a character-driven story set in a sci-fi/apocalyptic setting. If there's any romance in you, you'll like this story. Man, when Olga's character tells Cruise 's Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...she's his wife...
....I'm blown away by their performances. Say what you want about Cruise, but he does not phone in a performance.

Buy the BD. The extras are superb. The movie can be watched with only the score (in TrueHD, no less)...as an extra in the menu. I actually watch/listen to a bit from time to time. It's like an incredible music video. smile.gif
Tack likes this.
post #385 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Yes yes yes; excellent review, Tack! As you point out, this is a character-driven story set in a sci-fi/apocalyptic setting. If there's any romance in you, you'll like this story. Man, when Olga's character tells Cruise 's Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
...she's his wife...
....I'm blown away by their performances. Say what you want about Cruise, but he does not phone in a performance.

Buy the BD. The extras are superb. The movie can be watched with only the score (in TrueHD, no less)...as an extra in the menu. I actually watch/listen to a bit from time to time. It's like an incredible music video. smile.gif
+1
You said what I was thinking when I read Tack's review.
And thanks for the idea of watching with score only. It is a very evocative score.

Nice to see this movie that I resisted so long in seeing being noticed.

And as for Cruise: He is someone who gets the job done. He is a journeyman at his craft. I find it easy to believe the story as he has few mannerisms that distract.
Some may see him as wooden but for some excellent wooden acting one needs to return to the early glories of beginning cinemascope pictures and Prince Valiant's Sterling Hayden.
post #386 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

He is a journeyman at his craft.
I have to disagree a bit.
FWIW, after seeing nearly every movie he has ever made over the years, I find him to be a very good actor (at least at this point in his career) and seems to be getting better with age.

Quote:
he has few mannerisms that distract.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are absolutely dead on IMO.
This may be the key to his acting abilities.wink.gif

post #387 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 624
Quote:

Just as long as you don't try to think with it....we have recently had some serious catastrophes with those who did.wink.gif

Unfortunately, I've left a nice carnage trail behind doing just that. wink.gif
post #388 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Unfortunately, I've left a nice carnage trail behind doing just that. wink.gif
Haven't we all....biggrin.gif

post #389 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to disagree a bit.
FWIW, after seeing nearly every movie he has ever made over the years, I find him to be a very good actor (at least at this point in his career) and seems to be getting better with age.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are absolutely dead on IMO.
This may be the key to his acting abilities.wink.gif

I'm such a knucklehead, I had to go look up "journeyman" to make sure I remembered what it meant. He may not be a master, but he is quite a craftsman. I never worked with him, but I can tell he would be excellent to work with because he has a very holistic view of the process. If you came in with the same dedication to the product as him, I can see him being a major team member/supporter. Come in half-ass and I bet you're gone by lunch. biggrin.gif
post #390 of 539 Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm such a knucklehead, I had to go look up "journeyman" to make sure I remembered what it meant. He may not be a master, but he is quite a craftsman. I never worked with him, but I can tell he would be excellent to work with because he has a very holistic view of the process. If you came in with the same dedication to the product as him, I can see him being a major team member/supporter. Come in half-ass and I bet you're gone by lunch. biggrin.gif
From what I have read about those who have worked with him, your interpretation is pretty spot on.
Haven't heard of any real scandal or back-bitting from those in the biz who have dealt with him.

Although I don't think much of Scientology, it's his business and no one else's.
It isn't fair to criticize a guy, or anyone else, for their religion.

He seems to be a reasonable human being....he hasn't killed anyone I am aware of.wink.gif
darthrsg likes this.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page