Oblivion - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I still find it hilarious that a cigar is the cause of any bitching. They have toilet wine in prison so why is it a stretch to see dude find something to smoke? I bet that crew has a still in the base too.

I find it hilarious that you resurfaced a point made prior to the movie opening. smile.gif I wasn't bitching, just thought it was inconsistant with the setting of the movie. You can make alcohol from anything that yeast will eat. Growing tobacco or even harvesting from remnant crops would not be a priority, IMO, but maybe a good smoke is what MF's character required in order to drive forward and destroy the enemy. Other than the small forest, the movie did not depict land conducive to anything growing. Having said that, I saw the movie and enjoyed it for what it was, cigar and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post

I find it hilarious that you resurfaced a point made prior to the movie opening. smile.gif I wasn't bitching, just thought it was inconsistant with the setting of the movie. You can make alcohol from anything that yeast will eat. Growing tobacco or even harvesting from remnant crops would not be a priority, IMO, but maybe a good smoke is what MF's character required in order to drive forward and destroy the enemy. Other than the small forest, the movie did not depict land conducive to anything growing. Having said that, I saw the movie and enjoyed it for what it was, cigar and all.

Then we're all good here. smile.gif Cigar makes MF more badass.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #183 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watched tonite and REALLY liked it.
This is one of my favs of the year.

Good hardcore Sci-fi (something kinda rare lately), boosted by excellent writing.
Although I didn't think much of his Tron: Legacy, Joseph Kosinski does a fine job directing here.

T.C. does his usual yeoman job in the hero role.
Ms. Kurylenko (Julia) provides her best performance yet, and may be the most beautiful woman in the world....whenever she is on-screen, I embarrassed myself.tongue.gif

The AV of the BD is first-rate, particularly the spectacular audio mix.

I agree 100%

Frank
post #184 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

Good hardcore Sci-fi (something kinda rare lately), boosted by excellent writing.
Although I didn't think much of his Tron: Legacy, Joseph Kosinski does a fine job directing here.

T.C. does his usual yeoman job in the hero role.
Ms. Kurylenko (Julia) provides her best performance yet, and may be the most beautiful woman in the world....whenever she is on-screen I embrace myself.tongue.gif

ehhh, okay buddy wink.gif
Quote:

The AV of the BD is first-rate, particularly the spectacular audio mix.

Very much agreed, really enjoyed this as well and was very impressed with the transfer. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Jack Harper enteres the ID4 mother ship to plant a virus... I mean bomb and becomes Neo realizing the truth about the Matrix wink.gif
I would have liked a less familiar conclusion but still very entertaining.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #185 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:

Cigar makes MF more badass.
I'm sure that was the idea, but it was still not credible.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

ehhh, okay buddy wink.gif
Hey!
Can't swine have some privacy too?!?biggrin.gif

Quote:
I would have liked a less familiar conclusion but still very entertaining.
I thought the Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
switching of "Jacks" was a pretty good concluding tweak

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
post #186 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Killer A/V on this one! The isolated score is fantastic as well......why cant we get this particular extra more often? confused.gif This is one extra I will actually enjoy.

Oh, good movie as well. smile.gif
darthrsg likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #187 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

The isolated score is fantastic as well......why cant we get this particular extra more often? confused.gif
I forgot to mention the excellent score.smile.gif

post #188 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Was able to snag one of the Walmart exclusive tins:

Much nicer cover art than the regular BD release.

Sanjay
post #189 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
watched it last night on DirecTV on demand HD.

Epic visuals, great score and overall a solid foundation for the story but I found the open ends too much to go unnoticed. It felt too contrived and contained with how things played out story-wise, almost shallow. I felt like this was sci-fi for beginners or an adaptation of a short story (I know it was a graphic novel). It could have spent another 20 minutes plugging in the missing pieces and have been glorious is my feeling. I felt the movie skipped over some great opportunities to learn more about not only the human survivors, but also the back story to the aliens. Having Morgan Freeman just give a 3 minute speech as the "guts" of the real story just didn't quite do it for me and the major twist could be seen a mile away. I was thirsty for more Jaime Lannister, I mean Sykes getting involved and creating some tension between Beech and Harper, or maybe learning about how the war really went down... I dunno there just seemed a prime opportunity after the "ah-ha!" there's human survivors to go to another level of detail and pull you in from what felt more like a Castaway portrayal of Harper and his daily routine and secret cabin getaway.

Questions I had after credits rolled; Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What about the other 50 drone techs stationed around the planet? I mean if there was a 49 and 52 there had to be others right? Did they just stop working and relax in the sky condos for the 3 years after the mother ship gets blown up?
Did the techs not notice other tech craft flying around doing perimeter scans while working all day for 60 years?
Why would an alien civilization so advanced as to be able to do everything we see not be able to monitor and repair drones without human clones getting involved to begin with? Why risk using something that can think for itself and not just use AI like "sally" was.
How could the drone techs not have seen evidence of other humans for 60 years when they are all around scavenging and sabotaging the alien technology?
How did Morgan's character, Beech, know exactly what passage of the book Jack Harper read after picking up the book - hell how did he know which book he picked up out of that library?
And my "sure - why not" moment of all of the people in the pods getting blown to bits, of course Harper is able to save his wife. (A close tie with all 3 drones getting zapped by lightning just at the exact time he needed them to)

Cruise switches sides and fights for the few remaining survivors and sacrifices his life in a final moment of repentance and honor? Felt like Last of the Samurai met up with Star Trek the Motion Picture. I still liked it enough but I thought it was going to be GREAT, not just good. I would kill to be able to swim in that pool though - awesome view.

I'll watch it again just for the visuals and score but I liked Tron Legacy better.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #190 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Was able to snag one of the Walmart exclusive tins:

Much nicer cover art than the regular BD release.
Awesome! May have to have that for my steelbook collection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

watched it last night on DirecTV on demand HD.

Epic visuals, great score and overall a solid foundation for the story but I found the open ends too much to go unnoticed. It felt too contrived and contained with how things played out story-wise, almost shallow. I felt like this was sci-fi for beginners or an adaptation of a short story (I know it was a graphic novel). It could have spent another 20 minutes plugging in the missing pieces and have been glorious is my feeling. I felt the movie skipped over some great opportunities to learn more about not only the human survivors, but also the back story to the aliens. Having Morgan Freeman just give a 3 minute speech as the "guts" of the real story just didn't quite do it for me and the major twist could be seen a mile away. I was thirsty for more Jaime Lannister, I mean Sykes getting involved and creating some tension between Beech and Harper, or maybe learning about how the war really went down... I dunno there just seemed a prime opportunity after the "ah-ha!" there's human survivors to go to another level of detail and pull you in from what felt more like a Castaway portrayal of Harper and his daily routine and secret cabin getaway.

Questions I had after credits rolled; Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What about the other 50 drone techs stationed around the planet? I mean if there was a 49 and 52 there had to be others right? Did they just stop working and relax in the sky condos for the 3 years after the mother ship gets blown up?
Did the techs not notice other tech craft flying around doing perimeter scans while working all day for 60 years?
Why would an alien civilization so advanced as to be able to do everything we see not be able to monitor and repair drones without human clones getting involved to begin with? Why risk using something that can think for itself and not just use AI like "sally" was.
How could the drone techs not have seen evidence of other humans for 60 years when they are all around scavenging and sabotaging the alien technology?
How did Morgan's character, Beech, know exactly what passage of the book Jack Harper read after picking up the book - hell how did he know which book he picked up out of that library?
And my "sure - why not" moment of all of the people in the pods getting blown to bits, of course Harper is able to save his wife. (A close tie with all 3 drones getting zapped by lightning just at the exact time he needed them to)

Cruise switches sides and fights for the few remaining survivors and sacrifices his life in a final moment of repentance and honor? Felt like Last of the Samurai met up with Star Trek the Motion Picture. I still liked it enough but I thought it was going to be GREAT, not just good. I would kill to be able to swim in that pool though - awesome view.

I'll watch it again just for the visuals and score but I liked Tron Legacy better.
Very much agree. As far as the complaints in the spoiler tags I guess I was okay to dismiss most of those for the sake of face value enjoyment and suspending disbelief. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I did however have a problem with the unanswered question regarding the other techs. I also had issues with the end which felt like a combination of the Matrix and ID4 and was just all too familiar to deliver any climactic impact.

My Rig

post #191 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very much agree. As far as the complaints in the spoiler tags I guess I was okay to dismiss most of those for the sake of face value enjoyment and suspending disbelief.
Agreed.
It's not a perfect movie...but so much of it is damn entertaining.wink.gif

post #192 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed.
It's not a perfect movie...but so much of it is damn entertaining.wink.gif
Yes very much so... seeing the steelbook pushed me over the fence and I snagged a copy from ebay today. The visuals are just stunning and the audio mix is fantastic. If nothing else it will be worth showing on a movie night here or there when company is over.

My Rig

post #193 of 539 Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The visuals are just stunning and the audio mix is fantastic. If nothing else it will be worth showing on a movie night here or there when company is over.
Yeah, it can do that (at a minimum wink.gif).

post #194 of 539 Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

That's great to know sir, I was a bit concerned but now waiting patiently for my NF copy. That's one thing you and I both know and appreciate is good ole fashion handy writing. It will cure mot ills. And this is one aspect I do have confidence with you. Hmmm, I might drop some bills to see it now on D* on demand.
post #195 of 539 Old 08-10-2013, 04:50 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Will be watching this again tonight smile.gif really enjoyed it the first time.

Frank
post #196 of 539 Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

That's great to know sir, I was a bit concerned but now waiting patiently for my NF copy. That's one thing you and I both know and appreciate is good ole fashion handy writing. It will cure mot ills. And this is one aspect I do have confidence with you. Hmmm, I might drop some bills to see it now on D* on demand.

It is good and has good writing, albeit very derivative. It steals from a good dozen or two well-known sci-fi flicks (some plot elements, some story elements, some character elements, some visual elements), but that's OK with me if it works as whole, and it does.
post #197 of 539 Old 08-10-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
...don't forget the mind-jacking and wife-swappery of Total Recall! tongue.gif

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #198 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
It's ssooooo adorable when you guys finally see a good movie and like it.

tongue.gif
darthrsg likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #199 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that if there was one thing about this movie, those attack drones were very cool!

I would also be a bit torn, as I think I like the red-head for a wife better. wink.gif

post #200 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I forgot to mention that if there was one thing about this movie, those attack drones were very cool!

I would also be a bit torn, as I think I like the red-head for a wife better. wink.gif
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nope, everybody knows Tech 49 wanted Tech 50. Look at how they wrestled around. It was obviously a scientology message from Cruise.
Aliens likes this.

post #201 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Ha-ha!

post #202 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nope, everybody knows Tech 49 wanted Tech 50. Look at how they wrestled around. It was obviously a scientology message from Cruise.

Good one. biggrin.gif
post #203 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you break the moon in half, would that still have any effect on the earth (as premised in the movie)? The moon's effect on the earth is not really from its global shape, rather its brute mass. So it can be split into 2, but it's still the same mass hanging out there in orbit. So why would that cause catastrophe on the earth?

post #204 of 539 Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Each of the technicians worked in zones that appeared contaminated to each other, so that would keep them out of each other's territory so they would never meet, for a good reason. Responding on a mobile device so I don't see a way to put this into spoiler tags.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #205 of 539 Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:

If you break the moon in half, would that still have any effect on the earth (as premised in the movie)? The moon's effect on the earth is not really from its global shape, rather its brute mass. So it can be split into 2, but it's still the same mass hanging out there in orbit. So why would that cause catastrophe on the earth?

As I recall, it wasn't just split into two. At least half of it was demolished, fragmented. Such a "redistribution" of mass would indeed have catastrophic effects on the earth.
post #206 of 539 Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

As I recall, it wasn't just split into two. At least half of it was demolished, fragmented. Such a "redistribution" of mass would indeed have catastrophic effects on the earth.
Yeah just the tidal stuff would be a real bummer.

post #207 of 539 Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it would. More or less, the entire bulk of the mass was out there, though no longer in a perfect globe...should still be the same point-source of mass gravitationally acting on the earth. A minor change in tides, I could imagine, but not something that entirely wipes out civilization with tsunamis.

Removal of the entire mass of the moon would be a different story, of course...but that would be quite a more extensive task to achieve, even for advanced aliens.

post #208 of 539 Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

This is one of several inconsistencies with this movie. I saw it last night on an IMAX screen. Looked and sounded great. The movie seemed like a 'tip of the hat' to other sci-fi classics which also included the music soundtrack which sounded Hans Zimmerish at times. I will resist the temptation to reel off the other movie titles here but you will know them if and when you see this film. I will be interested to see where director Joseph Kosinski's (Tron Legacy) career takes him next.

Tom Cruise (now 50 years old) is finally displaying the gravitas needed to carry a movie role like this. Believe me that hurt to admit since I'm not a big fan of Cruise's personal life, not that he cares I'm sure.

Box Office Mojo did a breakdown of three of his opening sci-fi movies.

Tom Cruise Sci-Fi Showdown

7/10

-G

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread are the extras on the Blu-ray which are a recommended watch. The behind-the-scene featurettes start out with the origins of the story and how it progressed to graphic novel form which helped pitch the movie to the studios. Then the story of the location shoot in Iceland - a landscape surreal enough that I originally thought much of it was CGI. The construction of the Bubble Ship and the Sky Tower that feature prominently through much of the movie. The stunt work done by Cruise. And the soundtrack composition by M83 - interesting that the director Joseph Kosinski went to French artists for both this movie and Tron Legacy. All of this background information gave me a new appreciation for all the effort that went into making this film.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #209 of 539 Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:

I don't think it would. More or less, the entire bulk of the mass was out there, though no longer in a perfect globe...should still be the same point-source of mass gravitationally acting on the earth. A minor change in tides, I could imagine, but not something that entirely wipes out civilization with tsunamis.

Well, we can't create an experiment to find out for sure. Maybe the NSA can lend us one of their supercomputers to run a simulation. This posting should be enough to serve as the request. You know they'll see it. tongue.gif
post #210 of 539 Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Removal of the entire mass of the moon would be a different story, of course...but that would be quite a more extensive task to achieve, even for advanced aliens.

I just think if the pieces, say it was split, were pulling from different places you could see double high/low tides? I'm no scientist so that's why I leave this stuff to the government. They know what's best for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page