Oblivion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 539 Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
coolscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Oblivion (2013) Tom Cruise - Morgan Freeman.

Looks promising.



coolscan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 539 Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Very promising indeed! cool.gif I like Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, I like science-fiction, and of course there's Olga, reinforcing the must-see status. tongue.gif ...Seriously though, it does look very good!! I thought Kosinski did a great job with Tron Legacy (which was his first film iirc) so I'm sure looking forward to it.
Morpheo is online now  
post #3 of 539 Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Looks quite good, would like to see this.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #4 of 539 Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I triple heart Sci-Fi + post apocalyptic movies, love them. It's interesting to see that dog and Cruise almost like they're drawing from I am Legend. Looking forward to this one and that other big one with Matt Damon Elysium which btw "was" scheduled to release in Apr but now push back to sept which probably has something to do with not wanting to clash with this one. Then there's another big one from Spielberg's Robopocalypse which I'm glad he's back to his old self and done with these sappy snoozer's like War horse and Lincoln.
zoey67 is offline  
post #5 of 539 Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Although doesn't appear to be anything original, I'll be watching anyway.

Gotta wonder if the trailer gave a little too much away....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #6 of 539 Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I triple heart Sci-Fi + post apocalyptic movies, love them. It's interesting to see that dog and Cruise almost like they're drawing from I am Legend. Looking forward to this one and that other big one with Matt Damon Elysium which btw "was" scheduled to release in Apr but now push back to sept which probably has something to do with not wanting to clash with this one. Then there's another big one from Spielberg's Robopocalypse which I'm glad he's back to his old self and done with these sappy snoozer's like War horse and Lincoln.


Werd. More Saving Private Ryan. Less Super 8 and other kiddie crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Although doesn't appear to be anything original, I'll be watching anyway.
Gotta wonder if the trailer gave a little too much away....

That's kind of what I thought but.... f**k it. I'm there. tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #7 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Pretty interesting looking at this photo of Damon from Elysium it makes sense whey the 2 studios didn't want to be released in Apr at the same time. Cruise & Damon look nearly identical. But what's more surprising is that the smaller less anticipated Oblivion somehow managed to bully Elysium from Apr to Oct. I would think it would be the way around since Elysium was there 1st.
zoey67 is offline  
post #8 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Tom Cruise > Matt Damon

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #9 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
bcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I thought Kosinski did a great job with Tron Legacy
That is highly debatable.
bcruiser is offline  
post #10 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

That is highly debatable.
+100000

I thought it was crap.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #11 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
DavidML3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Why does Tom Cruise play the same type of Actor in virtually all of his movies? He does the same facial expressions, same everything. I cant differentiate his character from that of his other movies they are all the same.
DavidML3 is offline  
post #12 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Why does Tom Cruise play the same type of Actor in virtually all of his movies? He does the same facial expressions, same everything. I cant differentiate his character from that of his other movies they are all the same.

Can you say any different for the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Nicholson or Clint Eastwood?

Some actors are chameleons who attempt to radically change their personality and performance from role to role. These are generally character actors. Others are leading men who adapt the role to suit their own screen persona. Both are valid approaches.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #13 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Can you say any different for the likes of Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Jack Nicholson or Clint Eastwood?
Some actors are chameleons who attempt to radically change their personality and performance from role to role. These are generally character actors. Others are leading men who adapt the role to suit their own screen persona. Both are valid approaches.


Well said. I can say the same about Matt Damon. Even in The Departed he was his same self except with a Bwahstin accent. wink.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #14 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

That is highly debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

+100000
I thought it was crap.
That's why I said I thought... wink.gif and like I said Tron was his first movie. It could have been way worse imo, considering the mega-prodution that it was, Disney and stuff, the Tron cult following... It was not an easy task for a first-time director, but what do I know? tongue.gif
Morpheo is online now  
post #15 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

That's why I said I thought... wink.gif and like I said Tron was his first movie. It could have been way worse imo, considering the mega-prodution that it was, Disney and stuff, the Tron cult following... It was not an easy task for a first-time director, but what do I know? tongue.gif
You know and I know the primary reason (besides porn) for the internet is the wonderful opportunity it gives people to bitch anonymously.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #16 of 539 Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I had to borrow this from AICN talk back, some folks make me LMAO with their insight and hate:

It's an extended riff on WALL-E that descends into the full laundry list of post-apocalypse sci fi cliches

by margot_tenenbaum

Mixed in with Cruise's patented "I'm putting 750% into my acting goddammit" technique
zoey67 is offline  
post #17 of 539 Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dan4081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

Why does Tom Cruise play the same type of Actor in virtually all of his movies? He does the same facial expressions, same everything. I cant differentiate his character from that of his other movies they are all the same.

Really?
I certainly dont think his portrayal of Ethan Hunt in the M.I. movies are anything like his role in Collateral....which doesnt seem to me to be the same as his role in War of the Worlds....which seems light years different to his acting in A Few Good Men....IMO

I cant agree at all with your post.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
dan4081 is offline  
post #18 of 539 Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Really?
I certainly dont think his portrayal of Ethan Hunt in the M.I. movies are anything like his role in Collateral....which doesnt seem to me to be the same as his role in War of the Worlds....which seems light years different to his acting in A Few Good Men....IMO
I cant agree at all with your post.
Cruise has shown again and again he will take chances with his roles.
He just so happens to be very popular as an Action Star in blockbusters.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #19 of 539 Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I would agree 100% in his Top gun era and I irked and hated his movies back then..the young cocky hothead guy. BUT,..the turning point for me was Magnolia when he played that Love guru con artist and The Last samurai there is no way anyone can say he keeps playing the same guy. That's just not right. You can hate him for being the self righteous loop nut Scientology but what he does on screen nobody can match his committeemen and dedication to his work. His range and the vast library he has given his audience is really 2nd to none.

He can do both,,, the high art Daniel Day Lewis stuff and the blockbuster popcorn action stuff so people should be grateful he hasn't dropped the ball yet and continually to execute high quality with the best top notch directors in the industry year after year. He's had a few minor lapses but always come back with something solid but hey even Kobe or MJ can have an off game here and there.

Look what he has now...Jack reacher a crime drama suspense action then does a 360 and hits you up with a Sci Fi Oblivion and All you need is Kill in 2013.
zoey67 is offline  
post #20 of 539 Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Absolutely right.wink.gif
The guy can do whatever you want him to.

Check out Tropic Thunder:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/fullcredits

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #21 of 539 Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dan4081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Absolutely right.wink.gif
The guy can do whatever you want him to.
Check out Tropic Thunder:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0942385/fullcredits

LOL...now thats the example I should have posted!

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
dan4081 is offline  
post #22 of 539 Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 6,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 324
New international trailer:


Looks awesome! cool.gif
Morpheo is online now  
post #23 of 539 Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

New international trailer:


Looks awesome! cool.gif
Indeed it does.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #24 of 539 Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I just realized something, this is Cruise 1st legit out of the universe deep space Sci-Fi movie. So this movie just adds credibility to his amazing range to his huge hall of fame library of films in the past 3 decades going back to Risky Business. He can look back and say he's done it all with passing grade..well done Mr Cruise.
zoey67 is offline  
post #25 of 539 Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
bcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I just realized something, this is Cruise 1st legit out of the universe deep space Sci-Fi movie. So this movie just adds credibility to his amazing range to his huge hall of fame library of films in the past 3 decades going back to Risky Business. He can look back and say he's done it all with passing grade..well done Mr Cruise.
What I've been consistently noticing in all those years is that he couldn't convincingly play a role of someone his own age. Due to his looks and voice, he did well for a role of someone at least 10 years younger or he had to wait at least 10 years to fit in to the given role. For example, in 'A Few Good Men', he still looked and sounded too much like a high school student to take on the role of army lieutenant. Now, is that a bad thing? I would say that depends on what the casting department is trying to do.
bcruiser is offline  
post #26 of 539 Old 02-16-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post

What I've been consistently noticing in all those years is that he couldn't convincingly play a role of someone his own age. Due to his looks and voice, he did well for a role of someone at least 10 years younger or he had to wait at least 10 years to fit in to the given role. For example, in 'A Few Good Men', he still looked and sounded too much like a high school student to take on the role of army lieutenant. Now, is that a bad thing? I would say that depends on what the casting department is trying to do.

I'd say they're trying to come up with a higher platform shoe that looks good while running.
thedeskE is offline  
post #27 of 539 Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I think all of us here hope or did hope to look as young as he does at his current age.
Can't blame a guy for good genes.

BTW, no one can deny he is an effective and skilled actor.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #28 of 539 Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thedeskE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I think all of us here hope or did hope to look as young as he does at his current age.
Can't blame a guy for good genes.

True - Can't take that away from the conversation.

Skill ?
Facial .. Yep!
thedeskE is offline  
post #29 of 539 Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smudge981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Best Buy has a new offer out. Buy any one of 20 blu-rays and receive up to $8 towards the purchase of one admission to "Oblivion" in theaters. Plus free shipping.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

smudge981 is offline  
post #30 of 539 Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Megalith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The script was utter trash.
Megalith is online now  
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off