post #271 of 321 Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

...governments of the world uniting to save us?
That would be more frightening than the kaiju they were trying to save us from.
darthrsg likes this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 321 Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Do you then concede that the greatest flaw and fanciful flight of fiction is the governments of the world uniting to save us? smile.gif
What choice would they have?
I'll admit it would prolly take 10 years to agree to it though....biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

That would be more frightening than the kaiju they were trying to save us from.
I think it would be easier to lop off the head of a govt. than a kaiju.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #273 of 321 Old 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

What choice would they have?
I'll admit it would prolly take 10 years to agree to it though....biggrin.gif
I think it would be easier to lop off the head of a govt. than a kaiju.wink.gif

They'd choose a dumb wall.
post #274 of 321 Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Which could have been set up better. To go through five years of construction and then be shredded as easily as they showed would seem a bit of a head scratcher? Then the Aussie Jaeger, apparently, handles it without any special effort so it's not like it was an exceptionally large cat4 or whatever? Not to mention, a wall? Really? tongue.gif

I enjoyed the movie, and trying ot think of a more fun movie from this year? But they had quite a few things that would have been easy to fix that, who knows, may have saved their box office? Doesn't anybody watch these movies as they are editing them for what makes sense? I think a special effects, blockbuster director really has their hands full with just the technical aspects of a movie like this - let alone the acting, writing, story cohesion etc.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #275 of 321 Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Do you then concede that the greatest flaw and fanciful flight of fiction is the governments of the world uniting to save us? smile.gif

Was it your impression that I ever thought otherwise? Govt would be really good at constructing a mech on the premise that it will save us, that would end up not working all that well, but still cost a ton of money...and FUGGEDIBOUT any possibility of synchronizing the Left and Right sides in a neural drift to run the thing!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #276 of 321 Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Which could have been set up better. To go through five years of construction and then be shredded as easily as they showed would seem a bit of a head scratcher? Then the Aussie Jaeger, apparently, handles it without any special effort so it's not like it was an exceptionally large cat4 or whatever? Not to mention, a wall? Really? tongue.gif

I enjoyed the movie, and trying ot think of a more fun movie from this year? But they had quite a few things that would have been easy to fix that, who knows, may have saved their box office? Doesn't anybody watch these movies as they are editing them for what makes sense? I think a special effects, blockbuster director really has their hands full with just the technical aspects of a movie like this - let alone the acting, writing, story cohesion etc.
I ain't giving GDT a pass on this steaming pile...he should have put more effort into this movie.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #277 of 321 Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:

To go through five years of construction and then be shredded as easily as they showed would seem a bit of a head scratcher?
Not when governments of the world unite to save us. Imagine the inefficiency of the DMV multiplied by the ineptitude of the UN, and that's exactly what they would do:
Quote:

General Kenobi likes this.

Sanjay
post #278 of 321 Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Not when governments of the world unite to save us. Imagine the inefficiency of the DMV multiplied by the ineptitude of the UN, and that's exactly what they would do:
As they were coming up with classification based on size you'd think they would have done the same with the Jaegers. Nonetheless it was still a highly entertaining film with exceptional A/V.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #279 of 321 Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:

Which could have been set up better. To go through five years of construction and then be shredded as easily as they showed would seem a bit of a head scratcher?

Military equipment in a war zone is a pretty hazardous environment. How much money and time does it take to build a B-2 bomber or an aircraft carrier? One lucky missile gets through and all that money, time, & work goes up in flames, in a literal instant. Yet we continue to build them, in spite of the fact that their intended missions are a little hazy these days.
post #280 of 321 Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

I enjoyed the movie, and trying ot think of a more fun movie from this year?

Bingo. This movie is flat out HT fun! It would be easy to pick it apart, but why? It doesn't take itself seriously and try to be something it's not. It's big dumb fun and on that level it works very well IMO. This movie is a riot cranked up to reference with the 3d glasses on (or 2d if you are not a 3d fan). Not saying it could not be better, but it's a great shut your brain off ride warts and all. cool.gif

For anyone who has not seen the Honest Trailer, it is also fun. biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc&feature=youtu.be

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #281 of 321 Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Yes, I'm well aware of that. What I am saying, is that I don't believe for a second that those giant mechs, as they were depicted, could be analog-based electronics (not even an "older" Mk III). wink.gif Analog electronics are far more bulky, far more power consuming, far more costly for the end-result, and ultimately limited in processing power as far as available space, compared to digital and solid-state design. It was an utterly nonsensical techno-detail to introduce into the storyline. Analog for low-power controls, computer logic, and human interfaces has "left the building" since the 80's. Analog for high-power-electronics is a different story, of course. wink.gif

In a similar concept, an "analog iPhone" would be utterly impossible at the size and cost and performance we experience today, with the iPhone that does exist. wink.gif
For cheap consumer electronics everything is gone digital. Solid state doesn't mean digital. Ask an engineer that designs high end pre-amps why they still use analog for somethings.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #282 of 321 Old 10-23-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Yes, I know solid state is not necessarily digital, but it more or less is the backbone of digital. An "analog" mech is still nonsensical. You can't build that kind of technology in a mech as depicted in PR with mere analog electronics, solid state, discrete component, or otherwise. It would be too bulky, consume way too much power, and probably fail from G-shock the first time a mech lands on the ground after being thrown. Miniaturized digital on solid-state is the only way to go. Its only Achilles heal is sensitivity to EMP, but it can be hardened to withstand it just like any other electronics package. Imagine the die size of a modern CPU in an iPhone. Now imagine an equivalent set of analog circuits that could duplicate that processing power. It would never fit in an iPhone. The package size would be orders of magnitude larger. It's got nothing to do with "cheap electronics" vs "high-end analog". It is the difference between being a plausible product that exists vs. implausible in construction and cost.

High-end AV is a whole different world, like vinyl is a different world from mass market music distribution. Even if it could be quantitatively proven that digital could duplicate their prized analog electronics, they would still want the analog electronics. It has nothing to do with what digital can achieve. That is simply the nature of the high-end analog crowd. It has nothing to do with wanting to be invulnerable to EMP, and its supposed benefits could never be a tangible benefit in a hypothetical "analog mech". There is no "hearing absolute fidelity" in a signal to animate the drive controls of a mech. Either the information of the signal gets through or it doesn't...which is more or less how digital works and how digital achieves benefits over analog in less than ideal signal conditions.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #283 of 321 Old 10-25-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think it was both good and bad.

The mega fights get tiresome after a while.
The premise of the story isn't that bad, with that said and even though it's a SciFi-flick it has some big logical gaps.

Eye candy, it does look really great.
Eye candy doesn't mean much for the movie as a whole, if/when the story doesn't match.
But I did catch myself thinking, this looks really good smile.gif

It definitely has an Anime-feel to the movie, which isn't bad per say.
But It would have been nice IMO, if they had spent a little less time on the fights and fill the gaps and a bit more character development.

I give it 2+ out of 5.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #284 of 321 Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Not having seen the movie yet, what I glean from all these posts is: It sounds like Pacific Rim is the new Battleship. Except without the latter's best asset(s) - Brooklyn Decker.
post #285 of 321 Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Not having seen the movie yet, what I glean from all these posts is: It sounds like Pacific Rim is the new Battleship. Except without the latter's best asset(s) - Brooklyn Decker.

Nope, far from that. It's more like Robot Jox. Pure VHS weird tape you found at the rental store awesome. Given that, you'll know up front if it's for you or not. Personally I think giant robot chainsaw cocks are cool.

GDT has said Gigantor was an influence as well.
post #286 of 321 Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

GDT has said Gigantor was an influence as well.
"remote control" frown.gif Sorry, that doesn't cut it. At least not as well as the sit-in operator like this http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445012/pacific-rim-guillermo-del-toro#post_22708855
post #287 of 321 Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

This movie is flat out HT fun! It would be easy to pick it apart, but why? It doesn't take itself seriously and try to be something it's not. It's big dumb fun and on that level it works very well IMO. This movie is a riot cranked up to reference with the 3d glasses on (or 2d if you are not a 3d fan). Not saying it could not be better, but it's a great shut your brain off ride warts and all. cool.gif

Agree. Watched the Blu-ray last night and it was much better than the bad theater experience I had. A big glossy anime of a movie. A visual and aural spectacle. Not intended for serious thinkers.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #288 of 321 Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Agree. Watched the Blu-ray last night and it was much better than the bad theater experience I had. A big glossy anime of a movie. A visual and aural spectacle. Not intended for serious thinkers.

I would love to see GDT do Big O. His visuals with an already stellar story would be really cool.
post #289 of 321 Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I would love to see GDT do Big O. His visuals with an already stellar story would be really cool.

Yeah I'm really a lightweight when it comes to anime but your reference piqued my interest. The Big O seems to be highly regarded by fans. I picked up a cheap used set of DVD's from Amazon and will give them a spin during the next week or so.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #290 of 321 Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just saw it on Bluray. What's not to like. It's an entertainment and a well done piece. Sure it's got some things from other movies and animation but it's done better that many.
I would say, if Michael Bay has a twin who also directs movies, Guillermo would be the good half and Michael would be the DeVito half.
ht_twins_movie_poster_thg_120230_wmain.jpg
post #291 of 321 Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Redboxedted it myself, last night. It's a lot of fun, IMO, and not as dumb as the trailer implies. While neither Godzilla or Transfomers, it just works. I'll likely purchase later.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #292 of 321 Old 11-17-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Watched this last night, and thought it wasn't too bad. My expectations were low, though. I loved the big monster movies as a little kid, but grew weary of them as I got older; never had an interest in giant robots.

The story could have used some work in areas, there were too many things that didn't make sense. The human parts of the movie were OK, but could have been fleshed out a bit deeper, and not been so obvious. I liked the two scientist characters, and appreciated the goofiness of their genius.

Visuals were fantastic, but I thought the sound was lacking. Sure, there was plenty of deep bass, but it all seemed a bit one-dimensional. Much of the sound design felt noisy rather than layered. It was disappointing compared to the look of the film, and could have been much richer.

Recommended as a rental, Even if it doesn't reach the level of Del Toro's best work, there's enough entertainment value as mindless spectacle.

Scott

post #293 of 321 Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Watched this again and I think i liked it more the second time around. Going to put it down as a purchase. Rainy days and robots. Win win!
post #294 of 321 Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Watched this again and I think i liked it more the second time around. Going to put it down as a purchase. Rainy days and robots. Win win!

Yeah same for Man of Steel.
post #295 of 321 Old 11-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

This movie is flat out HT fun! It would be easy to pick it apart, but why? It doesn't take itself seriously and try to be something it's not. It's big dumb fun and on that level it works very well IMO.
+1. Yup. You said it.
Toe likes this.
post #296 of 321 Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I watched the BD yesterday. In a way it reminded me of Avatar. Short on story and acting but long on eye-candy. The BD looked awesome! And this was another movie that was over two hours for no real reason.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #297 of 321 Old 01-06-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Finally got around to watching this last night. Loved it. The AQ is off da hook. Monsters + giant robots + a killer soundtrack = Wabo bliss.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #298 of 321 Old 01-06-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Finally got around to watching this last night. Loved it. The AQ is off da hook. Monsters + giant robots + a killer soundtrack = Wabo bliss.

Well lahdy freaking da, look who finally showed up to the party. smile.gif

Even though it is 16x9 aspect, I would put this on the short list of funnest, combined AV for 2013 presentations in the Cabo theater. biggrin.gif

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #299 of 321 Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM

Liked: 90
If you get a chance check out the 3D version. Pretty great, dumb fun.
post #300 of 321 Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
i agree with cabo wabo. pacific rim was big, loud fun. my expectations were low going into it and it pleasantly surpirsed me. in addition to the great action, i thought the dream sequences worked well at delivering some character development. this movie actually reminded me of sucker punch a little bit but i thought pacific rim executed better.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page