Zero Dark Thirty, opens 1/11/2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Here is a link to the Final Trailer for the upcoming Zero Dark Thirty. I have thought the film sounded intriguing for some weeks but based on some research I have done over the last couple of days, I think it has a chance to be great. Be warned, though, It apparently contains graphic depictions of enhanced interrogation techniques, which some may think is torture. Anyway, the reviews of Zero Dark Thirty collected at Rotten Tomatoes are a remarkable 97 percent positive. Better yet, the film has some of my favorite actors, including but not limited to Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Ehle, and Jason Clarke and was directed by Kathryn Bigelow and has a screenplay written by Mark Boal, the same team that made The Hurt Locker. I'll be there on Day One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Sadly, I fear we can get far with this thread before it will be locked.

I no longer have faith in the intelligence nor honesty of my fellow Americans....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dont need your faith to keep the party goin!
post #4 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Real View Post

I dont need your faith to keep the party goin!
OK.

post #5 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Looks like it will be a good movie... as long as they keep partisan politics out of it (which in this day and age is quite a tight rope to walk), and keep the focus on the POV of the Navy Seals and overall intelligence people.

post #6 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have high hopes that people will view Zero Dark Thirty as adults. After all, virtually all of the critics have loved it but few if any among that group could be called hard core soldiers in the war on terror.smile.gif More seriously, I am convinced that Kathryn Bigelow has tried to tell a story that focuses on the price people involved in an operation as desperate and dirty as the search for Bin Laden was had to pay, not on the rights or wrongs of what was done to carry it out. I have such high hope for the film, in fact, I hope I haven't oversold it to myself.
post #7 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I will be very interested in seeing this thanks gwsat

Frank

post #8 of 254 Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have high hopes that people will view Zero Dark Thirty as adults. After all, virtually all of the critics have loved it but few if any among that group could be called hard core soldiers in the war on terror.smile.gif More seriously, I am convinced that Kathryn Bigelow has tried to tell a story that focuses on the price people involved in an operation as desperate and dirty as the search for Bin Laden was had to pay, not on the rights or wrongs of what was done to carry it out. I have such high hope for the film, in fact, I hope I haven't oversold it to myself.
As you are probably aware, during the production of this movie there was considerable criticism by partisans from one side of the political spectrum.
Thru half-truths and obfuscations they have been able to paint an alternate portrait of the hunt and eventual demise of OBL.
The said politicizing of this film will likely bring out the usual suspects on the forum to defend their version of events.wink.gif

post #9 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

As you are probably aware, during the production of this movie there was considerable criticism by partisans from one side of the political spectrum.
Thru half-truths and obfuscations they have been able to paint an alternate portrait of the hunt and eventual demise of OBL.
The said politicizing of this film will likely bring out the usual suspects on the forum to defend their version of events.wink.gif

Not sure what 'criticism' you are referring to. But it appeared to me that both sides of the political isle were using OBL to make points during the election. Which is why I really, REALLY, hope they keep politics out of this film. The demise of OBL was a win for ALL Americans. Having seen how well the Hurt Locker was done, I have hope that Zero Dark Thirty should be an outstanding film.

post #10 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Not sure what 'criticism' you are referring to. But it appeared to me that both sides of the political isle were using OBL to make points during the election. Which is why I really, REALLY, hope they keep politics out of this film. The demise of OBL was a win for ALL Americans. Having seen how well the Hurt Locker was done, I have hope that Zero Dark Thirty should be an outstanding film.

There is always a chance that a thread will get drowned in partisan rhetoric and then, properly, locked by a moderator. I really hope that doesn't happen here because I am genuinely convinced that Bigelow and Boll are trying to tell a story about the effect moral ambiguities as horrible as using enhanced interrogation, torture, whatever, to find out the location of and then to kill Osama Bin Laden had on the psyches of the participants. Targeted assasinations are a nasty business even if the target is an international terrorist and murderer. The hunt for Bin Laden had to have been a soul killing exercise. As Rutgar says, the excellence and fair mindedness of The Hurt Locker give its makers a lot of credibility and serves to give me confidence that Zero Dark Thirty will be excellent too.
post #11 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:

+1. Very diplomatically said.

Quote:

The demise of OBL was a win for ALL Americans. Having seen how well the Hurt Locker was done, I have hope that Zero Dark Thirty should be an outstanding film.

+2. Likewise well said.

Looking forward to this film. Bigalow seldom disappoints. Looks like there will be selected early release sites this upcoming weekend.

One thing I've heard is that the movie was finished with post-pro and able to be released a few months ago, but was held back by the aforementioned political considerations...? Don't know if this is true or not, but a shame if it were.
post #12 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not sure what 'criticism' you are referring to.
A Google search will lead you to what I was referring to.wink.gif

Quote:
But it appeared to me that both sides of the political isle were using OBL to make points during the election.
I thought one side was a little more egregious than the other, but that isn't important here.

Quote:
Which is why I really, REALLY, hope they keep politics out of this film.
The reviewer I read said it was surprisingly non-political, with the exception being the use of torture.

Quote:
The demise of OBL was a win for ALL Americans.
+ten zillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

One thing I've heard is that the movie was finished with post-pro and able to be released a few months ago, but was held back by the aforementioned political considerations...? Don't know if this is true or not, but a shame if it were.
Correct.
The feeling was it might become an issue in the campaign.

post #13 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The demise of OBL was a win for ALL Americans. Having seen how well the Hurt Locker was done, I have hope that Zero Dark Thirty should be an outstanding film.
Quote:

+ten zillion

Couldn't agree more. Getting the international terrorist and mass murder Bin Laden was a huge deal. That is one of the reasons I am so looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty. The stakes were so high for the CIA, those involved in the operation felt constrained to do whatever it took to find and kill the guy. But what kind of an emotional price do people involved in such a dirty business have to pay to get the job done? A very high price, it seems to me. And the Seal Team Six guys had their physical wellbeing on the line, too. These are the people who are willing to do the kind of work the rest of us don't want to know much about. An old friend and high school classmate is a retired CIA guy. Obviously, I know nothing of what he did because if I did, he would have to kill me.smile.gif
post #14 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

Quote:

I thought one side was a little more egregious than the other, but that isn't important here.
Apparently important enough for you to bring it up, in two separate posts no less. Seems one mention wasn't enough for you.
Quote:

Sadly, I fear we can get far with this thread before it will be locked.
Spare me the feigned sadness. IF the thread gets locked for partisan politics, remember who absolutely could not resist taking the mere mention of the word politics and turning it into something partisan.

Look, if you want to bring up "half-truths and obfuscations" by "one side of the political spectrum", then knock yourself out until this thread gets locked. But let's not pretend you're not the one instigating partisan politics, considering there was zero mention of "one side" until you injected it into this thread.

Sanjay
post #15 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The scary thing is that a lot of people rely on the movies and TV to depict history for them and take it at face value. Take for instance those abysmal depictions of this raid on the Military Channel and National Geographic, I lost count of how many times I had to roll my eyes. I saw those programs after reading "No Easy Day" which, based on extensive reading from other sources, we probably could say is a factual account of the raid (i.e. if you believe the author actually participated in the raid). It was remarkable seeing the trailer for Zero Dark Thirty because it looked like a trailer for the book "No Easy Day." There is a lot of great "you can't make this stuff up" material and hopefully Bigelow just kept that great material intact and used her talents to just transfer it to film with style.

Jim
post #16 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Apparently important enough for you to bring it up, in two separate posts no less. Seems one mention wasn't enough for you. Spare me the feigned sadness. IF the thread gets locked for partisan politics, remember who absolutely could not resist taking the mere mention of the word politics and turning it into something partisan.
Look, if you want to bring up "half-truths and obfuscations" by "one side of the political spectrum", then knock yourself out until this thread gets locked. But let's not pretend you're not the one instigating partisan politics, considering there was zero mention of "one side" until you injected it into this thread.
Like I said, it wouldn't take long for the "usual suspects" to show up.
I thought you would have learned in our previous encounters over the years....

Oh well, if you want to discuss this in depth, I urge you to PM with me.
Otherwise, I can only take your post as rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

The scary thing is that a lot of people rely on the movies and TV to depict history for them and take it at face value. Take for instance those abysmal depictions of this raid on the Military Channel and National Geographic, I lost count of how many times I had to roll my eyes. I saw those programs after reading "No Easy Day" which, based on extensive reading from other sources, we probably could say is a factual account of the raid (i.e. if you believe the author actually participated in the raid). It was remarkable seeing the trailer for Zero Dark Thirty because it looked like a trailer for the book "No Easy Day." There is a lot of great "you can't make this stuff up" material and hopefully Bigelow just kept that great material intact and used her talents to just transfer it to film with style.
+1

post #17 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Like I said, it wouldn't take long for the "usual suspects" to show up.
Oh it took even less time for you to push your partisan politics ("one side" "one side") into a movie discussion thread. Almost clever how you try to have it both ways: make your points in a public thread while urging replies via private message; lament the thread being locked while doing the very things (introducing partisan politics) that get threads locked.

Sanjay
post #18 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

It was remarkable seeing the trailer for Zero Dark Thirty because it looked like a trailer for the book "No Easy Day." There is a lot of great "you can't make this stuff up" material and hopefully Bigelow just kept that great material intact and used her talents to just transfer it to film with style.
One of the most interesting things about that account is how quickly things devolved. I hope Bigelow captures some of that in her account, since it will show the public that these type of missions aren't a band of elite superhumans flawlessly executing a plan with machine-like precision, instead these type of missions succeed because a group of all-too-human soldiers recover from mishaps (almost by reflex) and fall back on contingency plans to complete the task. Not only does it make it easier for the audience to connect with the soldiers being depicted but makes for a much more interesting story. Even in fiction, like the last couple of Mission Impossible movies, watching the good guys recover from all the things that go wrong was more exciting than watching them get everything right.

Sanjay
post #19 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Please guys, knock off the sniping at one another over stuff that doesn't relate to the quality of the film. I started this thread because I had hoped to learn what others thought about Zero Dark Thirty, not to read ill-tempered posts that have nothing to do with the film. Obviously, if the thread get locked even before the picture goes into wide release that won't happen. Please, please, don't poison the well!

EDIT: Typo corrected
post #20 of 254 Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

One of the most interesting things about that account is how quickly things devolved. I hope Bigelow captures some of that in her account, since it will show the public that these type of missions aren't a band of elite superhumans flawlessly executing a plan with machine-like precision, instead these type of missions succeed because a group of all-too-human soldiers recover from mishaps (almost by reflex) and fall back on contingency plans to complete the task. Not only does it make it easier for the audience to connect with the soldiers being depicted but makes for a much more interesting story. Even in fiction, like the last couple of Mission Impossible movies, watching the good guys recover from all the things that go wrong was more exciting than watching them get everything right.

I agree that even the members of Seal Team Six aren't "elite superhumans." Based on the reviews I have read, Bigelow focuses as much or more of her attention on the emotional toll exacted by the search for Bin Laden than it does on the ultimate success of the mission.
post #21 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh it took even less time for you to push your partisan politics ("one side" "one side") into a movie discussion thread. Almost clever how you try to have it both ways: make your points in a public thread while urging replies via private message; lament the thread being locked while doing the very things (introducing partisan politics) that get threads locked.
Sanjay, your tactics never seem to change.
I have said it before and will say it again: political debate is relegated to PMs...that's the RULES.
Again, I encourage you to continue your discussion with me on PMs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that even the members of Seal Team Six aren't "elite superhumans." Based on the reviews I have read, Bigelow focuses as much or more of her attention on the emotional toll exacted by the search for Bin Laden than it does on the ultimate success of the mission.
+1

post #22 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have said it before and will say it again: political debate is relegated to PMs...that's the RULES.
Doesn't matter how many times you say it, the fact is you don't actually do it. And this thread is a perfect example: you just could not resist introducing your usual "one side" "one side" partisan politics into this thread. After making your political comments, twice, you now say "political debate is relegated to PMs". You should have said that to yourself before making your partisan posts. The only person breaking "the RULES" is you. There was no mention of "one side of the political spectrum" until you brought it into this thread.

Sanjay
post #23 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 71
LOL! If you keep on talking about why or why not the discussion can go awry you are more or less guaranteeing that to happen. Why not wait till you see the movie before commenting on the movie instead of the possibility of the thread already being locked when the movie opens? smile.gif There's many "no holds barred" web sites for political discussion (or anything else, for that matter) and I just don't get why the same people have to push the limits or cross the line here all the time. Is it NetNanny on your computer or something, can't stand the heat at the other sites, what?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #24 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

LOL! If you keep on talking about why or why not the discussion can go awry you are more or less guaranteeing that to happen. Why not wait till you see the movie before commenting on the movie instead of the possibility of the thread already being locked when the movie opens? smile.gif There's many "no holds barred" web sites for political discussion (or anything else, for that matter) and I just don't get why the same people have to push the limits or cross the line here all the time. Is it NetNanny on your computer or something, can't stand the heat at the other sites, what?
larry

I agree, I for one will be looking forward in watching this.

Frank

post #25 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think it much more likely that the film was held until the end of the year for awards consideration. Studios release all their Oscar bait movies at the end of the year because Oscar voters have notoriously short memories, and usually forget about movies released way back in the spring and summer.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #26 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Studios release all their Oscar bait movies at the end of the year because Oscar voters have notoriously short memories, and usually forget about movies released way back in the spring and summer.
True, though there are a few exceptions to this. One of the most famous was 'Silence of the Lambs', which won despite being a March release. By the time ballots were cast, almost a year later, critics thought that the film was all but forgotten and were surprised when it took home 6 Oscars.

Sanjay
post #27 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This will have a limited opening release in the Los Angeles area on 12/18/12 at Arclight Hollywood because of Academy Award nomination requirements. After that, it will go wide on 1/11/13.
post #28 of 254 Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

This will have a limited opening release in the Los Angeles area on 12/18/12 at Arclight Hollywood because of Academy Award nomination requirements. After that, it will go wide on 1/11/13.

Yeah, I decided not to mention the limited release of the film on 12/18/2012 because it will likely only be showing then in New York and LA and maybe, but maybe not, another big city or two. For most us, it doesn't open until 1/11/2013.
post #29 of 254 Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just got back from watching this film. My Girlfriend and I really enjoyed it! The bass was eh but there was a lot good dynamic scenes that I can't wait to test at home. Story wise, its a bit hard to compress a decade long man hunt into a feature film but I felt they did a good job. OBVIOUSLY it's hollywood and there is going to be some inaccuracies, but overall the film was still enjoyable. Like other reviewers have mentioned, even though I knew how the man hunt would end the film still made me feel as if sometimes there was no hope left in trying to find ubl. Amazing how that worked out lol.

For me, this was one of the finest films I have seen this year and must say Jessica Chastain definitely fits all the roles she has played. Next big star imho. Also must remind people that it's a film about the man hunt, not the raid that resulted in his death.

9/10

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #30 of 254 Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Just got back from watching this film. My Girlfriend and I really enjoyed it! The bass was eh but there was a lot good dynamic scenes that I can't wait to test at home. Story wise, its a bit hard to compress a decade long man hunt into a feature film but I felt they did a good job. OBVIOUSLY it's hollywood and there is going to be some inaccuracies but overall the film was still enjoyable. Like other reviewers have mentioned, even though I knew how the man hunt would end the film still made me feel as if sometimes there was no hope left in trying to find ubl. Amazing how that worked out lol.
For me, this was one of the finest films I have seen this year and must say Jessica Chastain definitely fits all the roles she has played. Next big star imho. Also must remind people that it's a film about the man hunt, not the raid that resulted in his death.

Thanks for your report! I am looking forward more than ever to seeing Zero Dark Thirty next month when it opens wide. As I noted in my post starting the thread, I deeply admire Jessica Chastain's talent and look forward to seeing her in this film.

EDIT: Just saw that my spellchecker betrayed me and had originally posted the wrong first name for Jessica Chastain.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page