Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
My top five movies of 2012 are as follows and in no order of importance:

Dead Man's Shoes. This movie grabbed me at the opening credits. It brought back tons of childhood memories regarding my own brother and has haunted me long after with the soundtrack.

Lobos de Arga. What a fun well done movie. In a sea of CGI blur this harkens back to old school effects. The cheap way out is to describe it as Shaun of the Dead with werewolves and that isn't far off but it easily stands by itself.

The Dark Knight Rises. Possibly the most polarizing movie in recent memory next to Prometheus but I like it and it's ok if you don't. The final entry in Nolan's Batman trilogy brings many things full circle. In my mind these three films are one of the best trilogies ever.

I Saw the Devil. I really liked this movie. I'm a sucker for revenge movies and this hits all the right notes.

Take Shelter. Slow burn and the questions it asks are important and mind blowing like the ones it leaves you with. If I had to pair it with another movie I'd go with Frailty for the tone.

Please feel free to list your top five. I'd like to see just lists instead of detailed tirades on how I could possibly like TDKR smile.gif . I'm also well aware that most of these movies are not from 2012 and that, to me, is a testament to the discovery process of the hobby we share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Dead Man's Shoes. This movie grabbed me at the opening credits. It brought back tons of childhood memories regarding my own brother and has haunted me long after with the soundtrack.
Lobos de Arga. What a fun well done movie. In a sea of CGI blur this harkens back to old school effects. The cheap way out is to describe it as Shaun of the Dead with werewolves and that isn't far off but it easily stands by itself.
The Dark Knight Rises. Possibly the most polarizing movie in recent memory next to Prometheus but I like it and it's ok if you don't. The final entry in Nolan's Batman trilogy brings many things full circle. In my mind these three films are one of the best trilogies ever.
I Saw the Devil. I really liked this movie. I'm a sucker for revenge movies and this hits all the right notes.
Take Shelter. Slow burn and the questions it asks are important and mind blowing like the ones it leaves you with. If I had to pair it with another movie I'd go with Frailty for the tone.
Please feel free to list your top five. I'd like to see just lists instead of detailed tirades on how I could possibly like TDKR smile.gif . I'm also well aware that most of these movies are not from 2012 and that, to me, is a testament to the discovery process of the hobby we share.

Apparently, The Dark Knight Rises was the only film on your list that wasn't released before 2012. In any event, I haven't seen any of those four films. I agree, though, that The Dark Knight Rises was marvelous and it is near the top of my 2102 list, too. Here are some more 2012 films I loved:

Argo. Ben Affleck strikes again! This is a film that is funny and suspenseful, although it is based on a true story. Affleck as a director seems to be getting better and better.

Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino has hit another home run. This time, he tells a story about antebellum slavery set in the framework of a spaghetti western, Great fun and highly recommended.

Les Misérables. This great film was directed by Tom Hooper, who made last year's wonderful The King's Speech. I am a long time Les Mis fan so I may be biased but I loved every one of its 157 minutes. The singing was often imprecise and kind of raw but, Jesus, it was gut wrenching. I saw Les Mis today and am still trying to get my emotions back under control.

Lincoln. This is Spielberg's latest and to my mind another great historical drama. Daniel Day Lewis's performance as Lincoln was epic and Sally Field was Mary Lincoln to the life. A cast of first class character actors too numerous to mention also turned in great performances. Once again, be warned, I am a like long Civil War buff, so the intramural strains in Lincoln's cabinet fascinate me. Lincoln is a brilliantly told story of a pivotal time in American history.
post #3 of 40 Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Apparently, The Dark Knight Rises was the only film on your list that wasn't released before 2012. In any event, I haven't seen any of those four films. I agree, though, that The Dark Knight Rises was marvelous and it is near the top of my 2102 list, too. Here are some more 2012 films I loved:
Argo. Ben Affleck strikes again! This is a film that is funny and suspenseful, although it is based on a true story. Affleck as a director seems to be getting better and better.
Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino has hit another home run. This time, he tells a story about antebellum slavery set in the framework of a spaghetti western, Great fun and highly recommended.
Les Misérables. This great film was directed by Tom Hooper, who made last year's wonderful The King's Speech. I am a long time Les Mis fan so I may be biased but I loved every one of its 157 minutes. The singing was often imprecise and kind of raw but, Jesus, it was gut wrenching. I saw Les Mis today and am still trying to get my emotions back under control.
Lincoln. This is Spielberg's latest and to my mind another great historical drama. Daniel Day Lewis's performance as Lincoln was epic and Sally Field was Mary Lincoln to the life. A cast of first class character actors too numerous to mention also turned in great performances. Once again, be warned, I am a like long Civil War buff, so the intramural strains in Lincoln's cabinet fascinate me. Lincoln is a brilliantly told story of a pivotal time in American history.

I should catch Django this weekend and Lincoln is on my list as well. 2013 will the year for 2012 movies.
post #4 of 40 Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

2013 will the year for 2012 movies.
I rarely "go to the movies," so I always do the same.
Sometimes I can't wait for the BD and HAVE to go (will try to catch Django tomorrow tongue.gif).

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 40 Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I agree that I need to play some catchup before I can provide my two cents, but 2012-2013 seems to me to be two blockbuster years, making it really hard to come up with a specific list. 2010/11 seemed quite dull in comparison.

I do know Prometheus and Lincoln are taking two of the tops spots though.

TDKR, Avengers, and Hobbit, while very entertaining and enjoyable, just had something about them that slid them down the list.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

I Saw The Devil and The Man From Nowhere are probably two of the best foreign language films I have ever seen and incidentally both are Korean.

TDKR and Avengers were both A listers for me, Prometheus was the biggest let-down. Skyfall was pretty great too but I have yet to see Lincoln or Les Mis. I also want to check out The Impossible but have been short on time for the theater. Lobos de Arga (Attack of the Werewolves) was a blast, best thing to happen to werewolf movies since AWIL. I'd also throw in Inbred which was just a brilliant breath of fresh air to the horror genre that Hollywood has saturated with crappy remakes, reboots, etc.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #7 of 40 Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Take Shelter was a very good movie!

I think Drive was my favorite movie I saw this year but I think it was released late 2011.
post #8 of 40 Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I think Drive was my favorite movie I saw this year but I think it was released late 2011.

It's OK that you watched a 2011 movie in 2012 and liked it.
post #9 of 40 Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I rarely "go to the movies," so I always do the same.
Sometimes I can't wait for the BD and HAVE to go (will try to catch Django tomorrow tongue.gif).

You will love Django Unchained. Tarantino is at the top of his game. Christoph Waltz is turning into the new Cary Grant in a bizarre way. The guy is so charismatic and appealing, it's impossible to take your eyes off him.

Let me get my licks in for Les Mis, too. Unless you are flatfootedly, no how no way, opposed to musicals, see it. It is emotionally wearing but, my God, it is beautiful and moving! As I said in an earlier posts, its 157 minutes runtime passed in the twinkling of an eye. Anne Hathaway's I Had a Dream was raw and emotional but as wonderful as anything I have seen on the screen. I will be ordering the BD for delivery on Day One. (For that matter, I will be doing the same for Django.smile.gif)
post #10 of 40 Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Braved the crowds and it paid off big. Django was epic. Epic in the literal sense not the hipster co-opted sense. Cristoph and Foxx were perfect together and I think Cristoph is my favorite actor ever. I'll edit my list to include Django in all 5 spots.
post #11 of 40 Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Agree...his milk drinking opening act in IB with Susanna's father who looked like a French Antonio Banderas was just mesmerizing brilliant and horrific performance I've even seen and totally set the bar and tone for the movie. Never seen him before until IB but knew right away this guy got big time game and been a big fan ever since.
post #12 of 40 Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Agree...his milk drinking opening act in IB with Susanna's father who looked like a French Antonio Banderas was just mesmerizing brilliant and horrific performance I've even seen and totally set the bar and tone for the movie. Never seen him before until IB but knew right away this guy got big time game and been a big fan ever since.
Love that scene.
post #13 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

his milk drinking opening act in IB with Susanna's father who looked like a French Antonio Banderas was just mesmerizing brilliant and horrific performance I've even seen and totally set the bar and tone for the movie.
+10000000

post #14 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

I agree Zoey that was an amazing scene. I loved his welcoming charm I didnt expect him to murder those people. He played it well.

Frank

post #15 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I have been trying to get my hands to it rent but nobody seems to have it here on blu ray let alone for sale.

Frank

post #16 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I have been trying to get my hands to it rent but nobody seems to have it here on blu ray let alone for sale.

It's on Vudu, that's where I saw it.
post #17 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's on Vudu, that's where I saw it.

What is Vudu ?

Frank

post #18 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

What is Vudu ?

http://www.vudu.com
post #19 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #20 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What is Vudu ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I simply refuse to pay Vudu or anybody else an a la carte price to watch a streamed video. These days the only movies I rent a la carte are occasional BDs from one of a gazillion nearby Redbox kiosks. Despite my stubbornness in this regard, I understand why many folks like Vudu a lot.
post #21 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Thanks

Frank

post #22 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you are new account you can probably see it free.

I'm still waiting for my Internet line to be upgraded ( who knows when ), so streaming HD is not the best option for me.

Frank

post #23 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I simply refuse to pay Vudu or anybody else an a la carte price to watch a streamed video. These days the only movies I rent a la carte are occasional BDs from one of a gazillion nearby Redbox kiosks. Despite my stubbornness in this regard, I understand why many folks like Vudu a lot.

I prefer physical media still. I can't stand streaming stopping every now and then throughout the film. I'm going shopping today I'm going to look for it.

Frank

post #24 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I like the disc too but with so much garbage out there I can pay a little to stream and them buy later. Redbox runs me about 6 bucks if I factor in gas only more if traffic is bad. Vudu is great for me.
post #25 of 40 Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I like the disc too but with so much garbage out there I can pay a little to stream and them buy later. Redbox runs me about 6 bucks if I factor in gas only more if traffic is bad. Vudu is great for me.

You make a good point that traffic and driving costs could be a problem but I have 3 Redbox kiosks, all in the same strip mall, located only a few blocks from me. Thus the time and expense of each trip to make a rental, and the trip to return the BD, don't amount to much time or money. Even so, I rarely rent a disc these days.
post #26 of 40 Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm really behind in my movie watching this year. Finally watched The Avengers aka Destroy All Monsters last weekend. eek.gif

Favorites so far were:

Moonrise Kingdom
Safety Not Guaranteed
God Bless America
Cabin in the Woods
John Dies at the End

Laying off the booze tonight and headed to Django tomorrow morning!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #27 of 40 Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I prefer physical media still. I can't stand streaming stopping every now and then throughout the film. I'm going shopping today I'm going to look for it.

Could not find take shelter on blu ray here today. Might have to buy from Amazon

Frank

post #28 of 40 Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Let's see. Movie watching on the big screen was a little shaky this year but here's what stuck out for me:

"Lincoln" - Sorry, no vampires here. If Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win the best actor award at the Oscars this year, I'll be shocked.

"Argo" - I agree with GWSAT. Affleck is getting better as a director.

"Les Miserables" - It went big and in my opinion, succeeded.

"Moonrise Kingdom" - What can I say...I'm a marshmellow for this kind of movie.

"Avengers" and "The Dark Knight Rises" (tie) - Were there better? Heck yeah but I'm a comic book geek from childhood and as far as the genre goes, it's as good as it's gotten... so far. wink.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #29 of 40 Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just caught Looper. Pretty damn good. Also I remember Django Unchained having some lens flare in it so it's garbage now and should not be included on any list except top worst films ever in life.
post #30 of 40 Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just caught Looper. Pretty damn good.during the summer or early fall.
My copy will arrive Wednesday.

As far as best of the year goes the only that is a shoo-in for me is The Avengers.
Most of the others I haven't got to yet.....

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page