Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 203
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

After breaking up with his longtime stage partner, a famous but jaded Vegas magician fights for relevance when a new, "hip" street magician appears on the scene.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Gee, what a surprise not a single reply except mine for this huge big stinking POC of the year. This was really stupid, period no other way to say it. I didn't realize I could detest anyone more than J Franco but now I know..it's S Carrell. I really, really can't stand this guy. Did anyone find any enjoyment with this at all, just curious.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you pretty much said it. the only highlight for me was carrey and his David Blaine/Chris Angel antics. frown.gif

post #4 of 25 Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I couldn't make it through the trailer.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #5 of 25 Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Carrel is really awesome in Dinner for Schmucks. Of course he has Paul Rudd to carry him and the rest of the cast but it still is a delightful movie.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-27-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I did watch this one back quite a while ago. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. Steve Carrol has been quite good in various things, e.g. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World or 40 Year Old Virgin. Sometimes with a movie you swing and miss, it happens.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #7 of 25 Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I did watch this one back quite a while ago. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. Steve Carrol has been quite good in various things, e.g. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World or 40 Year Old Virgin. Sometimes with a movie you swing and miss, it happens.

I think his character in Anchorman was terrible and I still can't figure out why that's getting a sequel. The two you mention are quite good.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I couldn't make it through the trailer.
The Mrs. and I struggled through 37 minutes before finally throwing in the towel. I really wonder if anyone knows how to make a decent comedy anymore that doesn't rely on American Pie type content.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #9 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The Mrs. and I struggled through 37 minutes before finally throwing in the towel. I really wonder if anyone knows how to make a decent comedy anymore that doesn't rely on American Pie type content.

I'm struggling to remember the last comedy I loved. Your Highness, Moonrise Kingdom, and the aforementioned Dinner For Schmucks come to mind. I enjoyed Bridesmaids, it was very smart, but never understood why it was sold as "The Hangover For Women."

Where's John Candy when you need him?
post #10 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I'm struggling to remember the last comedy I loved. Your Highness, Moonrise Kingdom, and the aforementioned Dinner For Schmucks come to mind. I enjoyed Bridesmaids, it was very smart, but never understood why it was sold as "The Hangover For Women."

Where's John Candy when you need him?
Hall Pass gave me a pretty good laugh but yes... the great writing that made John Candy and other 80's greats seems to have all but left the planet.

My Rig

post #11 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hall Pass gave me a pretty good laugh but yes... the great writing that made John Candy and other 80's greats seems to have all but left the planet.
I can consistently go to 80s comedies and never get tired of them.
post #12 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are plenty of good comedies after the 80s. Some that come immediately to mind (some being romantic comedies of course):

27 Dresses
Butter
Five Year Engagement
Forgetting Sarah Marshal
Friends with Benefits
Shakespeare in Love
She's the One
The Other Guys
Dodgeball
About a Boy
Wonder Boys
The Royal Tenenbaums
High Fidelity
Gross Point Blanke
Grandma's Boy
Bedazzled
Best in Show
He's Just Not That Into You
Melinda and Melinda
A Lot Like Love
Kick Ass
10 Years

Admittedly, a lot of those were right around 2000, or the early 2000s, and few of them are in the last five years. But I'm sure I could come up with more recent ones with a bit more thought on the subject.

Actually, looking up more of them, it's amazing how many of them were made within a couple of years either way from 2000, given that these are all favorites of mine. And of the ones that aren't in that period, a good number of those aren't but a bit out from that. Wonder what it was about that period? Well, I guess there was more money around to take risks on more stuff.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #13 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are plenty of good comedies after the 80s. Some that come immediately to mind (some being romantic comedies of course):

27 Dresses
Butter
Five Year Engagement
Forgetting Sarah Marshal
Friends with Benefits
Shakespeare in Love
She's the One
The Other Guys
Dodgeball
About a Boy
Wonder Boys
The Royal Tenenbaums
High Fidelity
Gross Point Blanke
Grandma's Boy
Bedazzled
Best in Show
Melinda and Melinda
A Lot Like Love
Kick Ass
10 Years

Admittedly, a lot of those were right around 2000, or the early 2000s, and few of them are in the last five years. But I'm sure I could come up with more recent ones with a bit more thought on the subject.

Actually, looking up more of them, it's amazing how many of them were made within a couple of years either way from 2000, given that these are all favorites of mine. And of the ones that aren't in that period, a good number of those aren't but a bit out from that. Wonder what it was about that period? Well, I guess there was more money around to take risks on more stuff.
Don't get me wrong I like romcom as much as the next person but I don't typically go back to them for repeat viewing like Trading Places or Summer Rental.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm more likely to re-watch romantic comedies probably than straight comedies I guess.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #15 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

27 Dresses
Butter
Five Year Engagement
Forgetting Sarah Marshal
Friends with Benefits
Shakespeare in Love
She's the One
The Other Guys
Dodgeball
About a Boy
Wonder Boys
The Royal Tenenbaums
High Fidelity
Gross Point Blanke
Grandma's Boy
Bedazzled
Best in Show
Melinda and Melinda
A Lot Like Love
Kick Ass
10 Years

Disagree. The only one that I like from that list is Dodgeball, the others are either not comedies (i.e. action satire, comedy gone serious by the second half, or chick flicks).

Where's today's equivalent of Vacation, Fletch, The Burbs, Bachelor Party, Stripes, Better Off Dead, Summer Rental, Trading Places, Caddy Shack, The Great Outdoors, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, One Crazy Summer, Adventures in Babysitting, Spies Like Us, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and while we may be able to extract a few that measure up there is no denying that writing comedy has fallen far from the greatness of the John Hughes golden years. We are left with bad writing, bad acting, bad plots, lame CG effects, and over-saturated locker room jokes.
darthrsg and Morpheo like this.

My Rig

post #16 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Silence! Elder brother speaks... You are free to disagree, but I disagree with your disagreement. Hence you are cancelled out by my supreme posting powers.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #17 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Silence! Elder brother speaks... You are free to disagree, but I disagree with your disagreement. Hence you are cancelled out by my supreme posting powers.

There are those here that think this is law regarding their posts and opinions.
post #18 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The thing is, despite being 50 and presumably at exactly the right age to agree with you, other than Fletch which I think is a genius silly flick, I never thought any of those you mentioned were really that great. They all hard their moments, but other than Fletch I've seldom felt compelled to watch any of those in a long, long time.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #19 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

Where's today's equivalent of Vacation, Fletch, The Burbs, Bachelor Party, Stripes, Better Off Dead, Summer Rental, Trading Places, Caddy Shack, The Great Outdoors, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, One Crazy Summer, Adventures in Babysitting, Spies Like Us, etc. etc. etc.

ahhh the 80s...Cold War nostalgia! wink.gif As cliché as it may sound, I think our mentality changed drastically 12 years ago... People didn't feel really threatened by the Cold War, it seemed more like something that was balancing the world somehow, a threat that wasn't really a threat in people's mind ("they nuke us we nuke them...Ha! what's the point then?") After 2001 people don't feel secure anymore, and the economy isn't really booming either. While there are funny and "light" movies these days, the audience connect more with characters that are not too far from them and their reality, characters they can relate to, whether it's a romantic comedy, a super hero film, sci-fi or horror... I know it sounds oversimplified, but still...
post #20 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

ahhh the 80s...Cold War nostalgia! wink.gif As cliché as it may sound, I think our mentality changed drastically 12 years ago... People didn't feel really threatened by the Cold War, it seemed more like something that was balancing the world somehow, a threat that wasn't really a threat in people's mind ("they nuke us we nuke them...Ha! what's the point then?") After 2001 people don't feel secure anymore, and the economy isn't really booming either. While there are funny and "light" movies these days, the audience connect more with characters that are not too far from them and their reality, characters they can relate to, whether it's a romantic comedy, a super hero film, sci-fi or horror... I know it sounds oversimplified, but still...

You're onto something there.
post #21 of 25 Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Disagree. The only one that I like from that list is Dodgeball, the others are either not comedies (i.e. action satire, comedy gone serious by the second half, or chick flicks).

Where's today's equivalent of Vacation, Fletch, The Burbs, Bachelor Party, Stripes, Better Off Dead, Summer Rental, Trading Places, Caddy Shack, The Great Outdoors, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, One Crazy Summer, Adventures in Babysitting, Spies Like Us, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and while we may be able to extract a few that measure up there is no denying that writing comedy has fallen far from the greatness of the John Hughes golden years. We are left with bad writing, bad acting, bad plots, lame CG effects, and over-saturated locker room jokes.

Isn't little miss sunshine one of the best comedies of the 2000s and perhaps Steve carrell's best film?

neflixis our nemesis
post #22 of 25 Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Isn't little miss sunshine one of the best comedies of the 2000s and perhaps Steve carrell's best film?

LMS is a good movie and funny but not one I will stop and finish if I catch it while channel surfing.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You have to got to be joking or smoking right? LMS was so NOT funny, dreadfully ridiculous situations, and just one of the most OVER RATED movies. And so was that stupid 40 Yr old Virgin nonsense. That famous waxing scene where he screams: "Kelly Clarkson"... I mean WTF who talks and behaves in that manner like that? wasn't funny to me, just very staged and ultra contrived the whole movie,.
post #24 of 25 Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oh man, 40 year old virgin was on TV for the 8 zillionth time last night. it may have officially taken over my number 1 spot. sorry Young Frankenstein. yeah i said it! smile.gif
darthrsg likes this.

post #25 of 25 Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

In your opinion...

Like I said I don't stop to watch it when I'm browsing around. Same for 40 Year Old. It was funny one time and I won't stop to watch it while browsing.

The Great Outdoors? I'll watch it anytime starting at any scene. You also can't go to a seafood restaurant or eat fish sticks without getting a Summer Rental reenactment out of me.
General Kenobi likes this.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page