Review : Lola Versus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Didn't see a thread on this one so here's my take... This one seems to have gotten not much love out there for some reason. But, hey, it's well proven that bad taste is not adversely affected by global economic conditions. I thought it was quite enjoyable. It's a Romantic Dramedy more or less, and doesn't follow any of the usual clean story arcs, so some people may not get it. But I think it worked quite nicely and had plenty of funny moments and a good mix of dramatic elements.

The main character is played by Greta Gerwig, who I first saw in my previously reviewd "Damsel's in Distress". I enjoyed here in that and in this. I think she's very beautiful in a non-in your face way, and very likeable. She's turning 30 and in her apparently dream relationship, when it all starts to go south. She's never really been out there in the game, and has to jump back in and isn't in good form, so she makes quite a mess of things ultimately. She doesn't end up driving off into the sunset with her dream guy in the end, she just has come to some sort of clarity really.

Her best friend is sort of the standard 'cynical one liner' friend that often shows up in movies, but she has some good cynical one liners. "Find your spirit animal, and ride it till its d$$k falls off", and that sort of thing. She provides some of the best laughs in the movie. Some of it is obviously generation specific, like the obsession with phones and texting and such, but most folks here probably will more than get that humor I imagine.

Anyway, I think the low rating is undeserved, and it's a quite enjoyable flick if you like those sorts of movies. So give it a shot.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 103
And another of my classic no interest reviews. Anyhoo, I watched another flick by the same writer (she played the best friend in Lola Versus, and the co-main character in this one and wrote the screen play), Zoe Lister-Jones. She's seemingly becoming a bit of an indie auteur I guess. This one was Breaking Upwards, which is an interesting and funny romantic comedy as well. She also wrote the lyrics to almost all of the songs in the movie as well. My friends and I have an ongoing joke about these types of movies, where the credits are like:

Writer : Zoe Lister Jones
Makeup : Zoe Lister Jones
Asst. to Ms. Lister Jones : Zoe Lister Jones
Standin for Ms Lister Jones: Zoe Lister Jones
Driver for Ms Lister Jones : Zoe Lister Jones

and so forth. But I guess that's a big part of the indie world. Why pay someone to do it if you can do it yourself. She's obviously a very creative person. I'm not sure how folks like that even get money in today's movie climate, but it's nice that they can.

Anyway, watch them both if you like quirky romantic comedies. I enjoyed them both a lot.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Didn't see a thread on this one so here's my take... This one seems to have gotten not much love out there for some reason. But, hey, it's well proven that bad taste is not adversely affected by global economic conditions. I thought it was quite enjoyable. It's a Romantic Dramedy more or less, and doesn't follow any of the usual clean story arcs, so some people may not get it. But I think it worked quite nicely and had plenty of funny moments and a good mix of dramatic elements.

The main character is played by Greta Gerwig, who I first saw in my previously reviewd "Damsel's in Distress". I enjoyed here in that and in this. I think she's very beautiful in a non-in your face way, and very likeable. She's turning 30 and in her apparently dream relationship, when it all starts to go south. She's never really been out there in the game, and has to jump back in and isn't in good form, so she makes quite a mess of things ultimately. She doesn't end up driving off into the sunset with her dream guy in the end, she just has come to some sort of clarity really.

Her best friend is sort of the standard 'cynical one liner' friend that often shows up in movies, but she has some good cynical one liners. "Find your spirit animal, and ride it till its d$$k falls off", and that sort of thing. She provides some of the best laughs in the movie. Some of it is obviously generation specific, like the obsession with phones and texting and such, but most folks here probably will more than get that humor I imagine.

Anyway, I think the low rating is undeserved, and it's a quite enjoyable flick if you like those sorts of movies. So give it a shot.

Well you piqued my curiosity so I put this in my Netflix queue and gave it a look. I watched this with my wife, I laughed more than she did. The story doesn't really break new ground, the story's theme has been done many times in films and this is just another variation. It's set in NYC which always a fertile place for eclectic characters who never seem to spent any time at work and live in places where you know the rents are usually sky-high. But none of that is important since it's the interpersonal relationships that are at the movie's core. I've never had a group of friends who were as glib and rapid-fire with their comebacks as they are in this film but that's what makes it entertaining...and I am several generations away from its target audience. 7/10.

Another interesting facet to this film is that it co-stars Joel Kinnaman who I first noticed while watching The Killing TV series on Netflix - recommended. He is also starring in the Robocop remake coming out next year. So it was surprising to see him cast as the romantic interest in Lola Versus.

Thinking this was a little seen movie I used it in the Name This Movie thread only to have someone identify within a few days. So there are least two other people here, besides yourself, who have seen this film. wink.gif

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies