Movie databases? What about when you have both dvd's and Blu Ray and you're switching over? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Say you have around over a hundred dvd's and over a hundred blu rays and you want to catalouge them all and note differences.

How about collectorz vs dvd profiler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I've used DVDProfiler for years. The paid version is very much worth the minimal expense for lifetime upgrades. It's a great program. The only things that disappoint me are the lack of a mobile version for Android and the inability to customize the online listings for your collection.

Can't speak for Collectorz. Haven't tried that one.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 40 Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Ok, so I assume for movies on dvd and bluray it let's you enter both formats including different regions of each?
post #4 of 40 Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Ok, so I assume for movies on dvd and bluray it let's you enter both formats including different regions of each?

With DVD Profiler you simply enter the SKU number on the case and it adds it for you, Blu or DVD, regions, etc....

Bobby 

post #5 of 40 Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Ok, I will check it out.

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but you know what I'd really like? A dvd and bluray database where I can scroll through all the movies ever released. It's a pain to look up all the dvd versions and blu-ray versions and compare, and/or look for when things are coming out on dvd or bluray.
post #6 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

Ok, I will check it out.

DVDProfiler has a free version that you can start with. It's ad-supported and limits how many discs you can add, but it will give you a sense of whether you want to pay for the full version or not.
Quote:
I don't know if this is the right place for it, but you know what I'd really like? A dvd and bluray database where I can scroll through all the movies ever released. It's a pain to look up all the dvd versions and blu-ray versions and compare, and/or look for when things are coming out on dvd or bluray.

The sheer volume of DVDs and Blu-rays released since 1997 would require that you download a massive file to see them all.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

DVDProfiler has a free version that you can start with. It's ad-supported and limits how many discs you can add, but it will give you a sense of whether you want to pay for the full version or not.
The sheer volume of DVDs and Blu-rays released since 1997 would require that you download a massive file to see them all.

That and I'm even thinking of the movies that have not been released yet...lol...like every movie ever made...that's a lot of movies.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That and I'm even thinking of the movies that have not been released yet...lol...like every movie ever made...that's a lot of movies.

IMDB.com....

Bobby 

post #9 of 40 Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

IMDB.com....

Yeah. I guess I will look and see if there is a way to scroll through all movies.
post #10 of 40 Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
After waiting forever for dvd profiler to come out with an Android version I finally jumped ship to My Movies. Excellent mobile version and online syncing. Scans titles like dvd profiler but you don't need a separate app.
You can also import your dvd profiler collection (though I had to manually transfer 50 of my 1000 dvd and blurry titles.

Robert Clark
post #11 of 40 Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Say you have around over a hundred dvd's and over a hundred blu rays and you want to catalouge them all and note differences. How about collectorz vs dvd profiler?

I used DVD Profiler years ago and lost track of this program due to a few hard drive meltdowns. It's interesting to see how much their program has improved.

However this time I thought I would try something different and decided on CollectorZ after looking at its features. I also looked at CLZ Barry but thought the Cloud upload feature at $20 per year was a little much considering CollectorZ offers a lifetime plan at $50 ($5 off if you input the Googler promo code). It seems pricey at first but its features and Cloud access is what sold it for me and I figure will pay for itself over time. I have an increasing number of (trustworthy) relatives and friends who are moving into the Blu-ray era and would like to borrow movies. I thought that having a database they could access on the internet would be a convenient way to let them browse through my Blu-ray collection of about 390 movies. Not a huge collection but more than some.

I especially liked the fact that CollectorZ incorporates the CLZ Barry scanning app for the iPhone for $7.99 (it also supports the Android). I wasn't keen on having to type in hundreds of barcodes so an inexpensive app that could scan the barcodes off of the cases was a real plus. I was a little surprised that it worked flawlessly. The only problem I ran into were the missing barcodes on the multi-disc collections that were evidently on the cellophane wrappers that were thrown away long ago. So I had to track down the UPC using the Cinema Squid website that I'm sure everyone is familiar with.

After the scanning was done I was able to sync the CLZ Barry and the CollectorZ program together and transfer the barcodes over to the program which are added into a barcode queue. From that point you do a Search All and after it's done collating you add the titles to your collection. The final step is to link to your user account in the Cloud (CollectorZ database) and upload your movie collection. Once you're done you can email the collection URL to all those interested.

The added benefit of using the CLZ Barry scanning app on your iPhone and Android is that it also holds your collection for easy access and it also supplies additional information on each movie. I have only been using these programs for a few days but can easily recommend both.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #12 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I see CollectorZ has a manageable Wishlist. This may be a wierd question, but is there a way to include a list of titles you have on your PVR? Like when I PVR a movie on my Rogers PVR cable box. Sometimes I have movies on there for a while that I want to eventually get on BD.
post #13 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see CollectorZ has a manageable Wishlist. This may be a wierd question, but is there a way to include a list of titles you have on your PVR? Like when I PVR a movie on my Rogers PVR cable box. Sometimes I have movies on there for a while that I want to eventually get on BD.

Yes, you can add whatever movies you want to your Wishlist by using "Add Automatically" (barcode) or "Add Manually" which involves filling in the information fields as you like.

Buttons in the lower left corner of the program are All, Collection, Wishlist and Layout. Clicking All combines all the titles for review but they still remain in their respective listings.

EDIT: But if you're asking can you send the titles from the PVR to the program, I'm pretty sure you can't.

post #14 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Yes, you can add whatever movies you want to your Wishlist by using "Add Automatically" (barcode) or "Add Manually" which involves filling in the information fields as you like.
Buttons in the lower left corner of the program are All, Collection, Wishlist and Layout. Clicking All combines all the titles for review but they still remain in their respective listings.
EDIT: But if you're asking can you send the titles from the PVR to the program, I'm pretty sure you can't.

No, I don't want to send titles from the PVR...I just meant I wonder if there is a way to flag them as "PVR" and not physical media. Not important really. I don't have much on my PVR and won't always store a whole bunch on there. Just nice to include them, or make note of their being there.
post #15 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:

The only program which does that is Coollector Movie Database, available for Mac and PC.

The program includes a database of 100,000 movies and series, with their corresponding videos.

From the first movie ever made, up to some movies not yet released in theater.

You don't start with an empty database. You don't download movies one by one. You download, you have it all !

EDIT: I forgot to mention it's only $4.99 (62% off) until january 10th (softpedia.com promo).
post #16 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prades View Post

The only program which does that is Coollector Movie Database, available for Mac and PC.
The program includes a database of 100,000 movies and series, with their corresponding videos.
From the first movie ever made, up to some movies not yet released in theater.
You don't start with an empty database. You don't download movies one by one. You download, you have it all !
EDIT: I forgot to mention it's only $4.99 (62% off) until january 10th (softpedia.com promo).

Yes, that does seem like an interesting program however in my case I've got an older Mac Mini that I use and it's not supported. I'd probably have to switch to one of PC's in the house.

Requirements
Intel, OS X 10.7 or later

http://www.coollector.com/

post #17 of 40 Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 AM

The version available from MacUpdate.com requires Lion or Mountain Lion (it's a GateKeeper thing).

But there's a page on the support forum where you can find a version that works with Snow Leopard:

http://www.coollector.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1048

If you buy 1 license, you are allowed to use it on all your computers, Mac and PC.
post #18 of 40 Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Yes, that does seem like an interesting program however in my case I've got an older Mac Mini that I use and it's not supported. I'd probably have to switch to one of PC's in the house.

Requirements
Intel, OS X 10.7 or later

http://www.coollector.com/

This looks cool. Hmmmm...hard to say which is best. Collectorz and dvd profiler look pretty nice but I like the idea of having a database of every movie in coolectors. Decisions...

Can you differentiate between what you have and have seen and what you have but have not seen yet? I very often buy movies I haven't seen and stock pile them until I feel like watching them.
post #19 of 40 Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Can you differentiate between what you have and have seen and what you have but have not seen yet?

Yes, you can.

To display what you have, you click the "owned" button. Then you refine your search with the "rated or not" filter:

"not rated (not yet seen)" => you haven't seen the movie.
"rated" => you have seen the movie (otherwise how could you have rated it).

Coollector doesn't have a special symbol for "seen", as it would be redundant with the rating symbol. To show that you've seen a movie, you just rate it. This way, you also remember how much you liked it. And thanks to the rating smileys, when you'll watch the filmography of a person, at a glance you'll be reminded if that person made movies that you liked or not.

And you can also "wish" a movie that you don't own. For example, an interesting movie is released in theaters, but you'll probably wait until it's shown on TV => you add it to your wishlist.
post #20 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, you can.

To display what you have, you click the "owned" button. Then you refine your search with the "rated or not" filter:

"not rated (not yet seen)" => you haven't seen the movie.
"rated" => you have seen the movie (otherwise how could you have rated it).

Coollector doesn't have a special symbol for "seen", as it would be redundant with the rating symbol. To show that you've seen a movie, you just rate it. This way, you also remember how much you liked it. And thanks to the rating smileys, when you'll watch the filmography of a person, at a glance you'll be reminded if that person made movies that you liked or not.

And you can also "wish" a movie that you don't own. For example, an interesting movie is released in theaters, but you'll probably wait until it's shown on TV => you add it to your wishlist.

Ok, that makes sense. I'll give it a try.
post #21 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Liked: 18
With dvd profiler when you click the add a dvd button you can view every movie in their database, which would be thousands and thousands of titles. You can also add them manually with your own cover scans and can edit the disc info for them, so you could probably label it as pvr although I've never tried. You could even add your home movies if you wanted. You can manually add pretty much anything. It also has a wish list.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #22 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

With dvd profiler when you click the add a dvd button you can view every movie in their database
It's not exactly movies. It's DVDs.

Do you really use this list ? Do you think it's useful ?

Not everybody will prefer Coollector. Many users will prefer DVD Profiler. You have to try both to make your choice.
post #23 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

You could even add your home movies if you wanted.
You can't do that with Coollector. The movie has to be in the database.

If a movie is missing, you have to request it, and it's added with the next update. Most users never have to request anything, because the database is huge.
post #24 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM

I use DVD profiler all the time as I have approx. 480 dvd's/blurays. I have several obscure/steelbook titles or Canadian versions that I have entered myself and then contributed to the online database.

I also have a special edition version of Voyage of the Dawn Treader with a specialty case that had the same upc code as another version already in the data base so I just scanned in my own covers.

When my friends want to borrow one I sign it out, set the due date and then it alerts me when there's an overdue movie. It's a great way to keep track of loaned out dvd's/blurays.

You can have multiple versions of the same title all entered individually.

Here's a link to my collection, http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Dragon's%20Lair

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #25 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't do that with Coollector. The movie has to be in the database.

If a movie is missing, you have to request it, and it's added with the next update. Most users never have to request anything, because the database is huge.

I tried to add my "The Godfather, The Coppola Restoration", all three movies, into the Coolector database. It wasn't there. It is also not listed, as such, in IMDB and it doesn't look like there is a way to add it into the database.

Bobby 

post #26 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 AM

I've never used coollector but with Profiler you can pretty much enter anything on your version and if you want to contribute to the online data base it goes through a moderator commitee and they vote if it's approved or not or needs changes/more info.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #27 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I tried to add my "The Godfather, The Coppola Restoration", all three movies, into the Coolector database. It wasn't there. It is also not listed, as such, in IMDB and it doesn't look like there is a way to add it into the database.

When a video or a pack of videos is missing from the database of existing videos, it's still possible to add from scratch.

To create a pack from scratch, you'll add the first movie of the pack, and set the pack name to "The Godfather, The Coppola Restoration". Then you'll add the second movie, and say it's part of the pack you've just created. Etc...

DVD Profiler is superior to Coollector Movie Database if you're a DVD-centered kind of person. Coollector Movie Database is superior to DVD Profiler if you're a movie-centered kind of person. In fact, Coollector is useful even for the movie lovers who don't collect any DVD at all, or those who only have video files on their hard disk (the automatic file scanning is the best on the market).

DVD Profiler is a very good program, but Coollector has a very different approach (it's different from all the other programs that exist). Either you won't like it, either you'll fall in love with it.
post #28 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When a video or a pack of videos is missing from the database of existing videos, it's still possible to add from scratch.

To create a pack from scratch, you'll add the first movie of the pack, and set the pack name to "The Godfather, The Coppola Restoration". Then you'll add the second movie, and say it's part of the pack you've just created. Etc...

DVD Profiler is superior to Coollector Movie Database if you're a DVD-centered kind of person. Coollector Movie Database is superior to DVD Profiler if you're a movie-centered kind of person. In fact, Coollector is useful even for the movie lovers who don't collect any DVD at all, or those who only have video files on their hard disk (the automatic file scanning is the best on the market).

DVD Profiler is a very good program, but Coollector has a very different approach (it's different from all the other programs that exist). Either you won't like it, either you'll fall in love with it.

Thank you for that. I was able to add in the pack, although not able to add the correct barcode. There are barcodes available but none of them was the correct one and there doesn't seem to be a way to add the new one.

Bobby 

post #29 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:

There are barcodes available but none of them was the correct one and there doesn't seem to be a way to add the new one.
You click the barcode field and input your barcode. It's the same for all the fields, you can input any new value you want.
post #30 of 40 Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You click the barcode field and input your barcode. It's the same for all the fields, you can input any new value you want.

That doesn't work, at least in the IOS version. It will not allow you to change the barcode from any other than what already exists....

Bobby 

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page