post #541 of 1401 Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Now that Woods of Ypres is something I can dig on. Dark and gloomy but the lyrics are understandable. Groovy.

In that case you should buy all things Type O Negative. VERY underrated band IMO, such good song writing abilities and I love Steele's voice.

Assuming you don't already know all about them of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1401 Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Carp im sure you are aware of this. but if not
post #543 of 1401 Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'll be dragging my wife to that for sure!
post #544 of 1401 Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Now Playing: Woods of Ypres - song is called Finality.

The youtube version sounds terrible compared to Spotify but here you go.

This album was recommended by Don Jamison on That Metal Show. My interest was perked when he compared them to Type O Negative. They do have their similarities, the singer sounds a hell of a lot like the singer from Crash Test Dummies. Remember that song? Hmm hmmm hmmmm hmmmmm. Haha, I actually kind of liked that song.

Anyway, this album has some incredibly beautiful moments especially the second half of the album. Their are parts of "Kiss My Ashes Goodbye" that really give me goosebumps.

Looks like the lead singer was just recently killed in a car crash. So sad, he was the song writer so the band is done. I'm going to check out all their stuff, this is their 5th album. I have such a soft spot for sad sounding melodies.

This is pretty sad. Baritone singers have bad luck.
post #545 of 1401 Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This album was recommended by Don Jamison on That Metal Show. My interest was perked when he compared them to Type O Negative. They do have their similarities, the singer sounds a hell of a lot like the singer from Crash Test Dummies. Remember that song? Hmm hmmm hmmmm hmmmmm. Haha, I actually kind of liked that song.

Anyway, this album has some incredibly beautiful moments especially the second half of the album. Their are parts of "Kiss My Ashes Goodbye" that really give me goosebumps.

Looks like the lead singer was just recently killed in a car crash. So sad, he was the song writer so the band is done. I'm going to check out all their stuff, this is their 5th album. I have such a soft spot for sad sounding melodies.

man that sucks, definitely digging that track

on a lighter note im sitting here blasting some Amorphis at about the limits of my ears

and my cat is just sitting here. not a care given
post #546 of 1401 Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Cats...The devil's eyes right there....No wonder the feline likes it

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #547 of 1401 Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Tool does some great things with time signatures as well

picked up a bunch of new stuff recenly (new to me anyway)

Kalmah
Tristania
a pale horse named death
Tesseract
Devin Townsend Project
Persefone

I just got into Kalmah myself and I love it! Dance of the Water is a really catchy tune. That and the band Symphony X.
Nuance likes this.
post #548 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

ive been into Symphony X for a long time, we discussed it earlier in this thread, highly underrated imo

most of not all of their albums are excellent
Nuance likes this.
post #549 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MpdIi_V_tE

So ive listned to all of the album that song is from and TBH its flat out amazing. Really sucks that he died young, man they had some serious talent and made some great music
post #550 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Agreed, I have given a few tracks a light listen but I really need to go through the whole thing and really dig into it smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #551 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, when I listened the first time all the way through I was thinking, wow this is pretty good but I was surfing the forum and not giving the music my full attention.

Then all of a sudden (around 5:50 mark and on from Kiss My Ashes Goodbye) I perk up and was compelled to put the lap top down and just listen to the rest of the album since it was sooo good.
post #552 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm digging Kalmah - The Seventh Swamphony album right now, thanks for the recommendation guys. Good stuff.
post #553 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, question time. That Metal Show used to do top 5 lists, like debut album, drummers, album cover, etc. and I rarely agree with much they say especially Eddie. Don had a lot of good lists though.

Ok, so first question... I'm not very creative so I'm probably going to be stealing list questions from the show.

What is your top 5 sophomore albums? Think of it more like what 2nd albums were a huge leap from the artist debut album.

5. Tie - Def Leppard High n Dry Motley Crue Shout at the Devil

Yes, I admit I was into some of the would be hair bands as a kid. However, I still think both of these albums are huge improvements from their first albums and I still like both of them even though both bands started putting out turds.

4. Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

Yeah, yeah, technically it's their 3rd album but Origin of the Feces (hehe) was just a rehashing of the stuff from their first album.

3. Tool - Aenima

Yes, Undertow is great (and Opiate is an EP, doesn't count as an album). Aenima is that much better and truly defined who Tool is as a band IMO.

2. Dream Theater - Images and Words

This one takes the cake if not for Metallica. Production, song writing, pretty much everything so much better on Images and Words. Still my favorite album of DT's and easily in my top 10 all time.

1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

I know some prefer Kill 'em All and I love it too but it does not touch how great Ride the Lightning is. They created something that didn't exist to this point. Thrash metal that truly had GREAT melodies while creating amazing atmosphere moods with their music. I love straight ahead thrashing but when you can combine that with beauty and more complex song structures I'm sold (see Fade to Black and Call of Ktulu) Speaking of Ktulu... a 9 minute metal instrumental? Seriously? Amazing for anytime period but for 1984 this album was beyond ground breaking. Not that radio would touch any of the album for way too many years. Ha, and they were still teenagers when they wrote the album.

Even more amazing... they topped themselves again on their next album - and wrote an even better 9 minute instrumental. smile.gif

Hmmm I'm surprised no obscure metal made my list, but I couldn't think of anything. My pics were all albums I've liked for many years, I didn't want to pick anything too "new". I love Morningrise but it's very similar (but better than) Orchid. In Flames with The Jester Race should probably be on the list. Iced Earth Night of the Stormrider too (3rd album Burnt Offerings is better).

Ok, rip my list apart and make your own. biggrin.gif
palmettokrawler likes this.
post #554 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, of course feel free to just type a quick top 5 or even top 1 without explanations if you don't have as much time to kill as I do. smile.gif
post #555 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

this took some thought as i kept going right to a bunch of bands 3rd album, i had to think to not include DT and Metallica

5: Tie - In Flames - The Jester Race & Alice in Chains - Dirt (AiC is so much more metal than Crue or Lepaord
Jester Race is just sonically better than Lunar strain. Better vocals with the addition of Anders. better guitar work. Really the album that starter the whole Melodeath Genera
Dirt is an amazing album and has been one of my faves ever since i first heard it. Its harder, faster and darker than facelift. The harmonizing between Jerry and Lane is supurb

4: Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
I simply like this better than the first one

3: System of a Down - Toxicity
A friend of mine described SOADs first album as a "bunch of screaming nonsense" i think that fits. Toxicity is better vocally and musically the vocals are better in delivery and writing. musically the album feels much more whole. with its mix of almost thrash with more modern rock vibes

2) Megadeth - Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
Megadeths RTL - first album was raw and poorly produced. some good tracks but IMO falls behind Peace Sells, which is where the band and Dave start to really become their own, Its a thrash masterpiece. lyrically and musically amazing

1) Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
I don't count their self titled album before Russell Allen joined- lyrically its amazing. musically its amazing, the incorporation of classical music influences & classical literature is just amazing.
post #556 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

this took some thought as i kept going right to a bunch of bands 3rd album, i had to think to not include DT and Metallica

5: Tie - In Flames - The Jester Race & Alice in Chains - Dirt (AiC is so much more metal than Crue or Lepaord
Jester Race is just sonically better than Lunar strain. Better vocals with the addition of Anders. better guitar work. Really the album that starter the whole Melodeath Genera
Dirt is an amazing album and has been one of my faves ever since i first heard it. Its harder, faster and darker than facelift. The harmonizing between Jerry and Lane is supurb

4: Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
I simply like this better than the first one

3: System of a Down - Toxicity
A friend of mine described SOADs first album as a "bunch of screaming nonsense" i think that fits. Toxicity is better vocally and musically the vocals are better in delivery and writing. musically the album feels much more whole. with its mix of almost thrash with more modern rock vibes

2) Megadeth - Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
Megadeths RTL - first album was raw and poorly produced. some good tracks but IMO falls behind Peace Sells, which is where the band and Dave start to really become their own, Its a thrash masterpiece. lyrically and musically amazing

1) Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
I don't count their self titled album before Russell Allen joined- lyrically its amazing. musically its amazing, the incorporation of classical music influences & classical literature is just amazing.

Nice list!! I was going to put Dirt on mine - love it. I like it a lot more obviously than my #5. I guess I didn't put it on because Facelift (while not as good) is still such a great album.

I like Peace Sells a lot, another great call. Rust in Piece is their masterpiece IMO.

Even though System of a Down doesn't really fit my taste I do love that album and I thought about including it but wasn't positive it was their second.

Is Divine Wings of Tragedy as good as Paradise Lost? I really like that album. I'll have to check it out.
post #557 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice list!! I was going to put Dirt on mine - love it. I like it a lot more obviously than my #5. I guess I didn't put it on because Facelift (while not as good) is still such a great album.

I like Peace Sells a lot, another great call. Rust in Piece is their masterpiece IMO.

Even though System of a Down doesn't really fit my taste I do love that album and I thought about including it but wasn't positive it was their second.

Is Divine Wings of Tragedy as good as Paradise Lost? I really like that album. I'll have to check it out.

I agree with you on pretty much everything.

first thing i thought of for this was Beneath the Remains by Sepultura which happens to be their 3rd album. also thought of including Hatebreeder by Bodom and Overkill by Motorhead

i actually was not a big fan of system even after that album came out, i liked it but at that time i didn't really like the screaming vocals as much from their first album so i didn't really pay much attention to it other then what was played on the radio. I saw them in Concert in 2002 and that pretty much changed everything. It was a few months before "Steal this Album" came out. and to this day its one of the best concerts ive ever been to. they are simply amazing live, and toxicity is great start to finish

and yes IMO Divine Wings is as good as Paradise Lost
post #558 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I like Paradise Lost a little better - it's just more polished and fluid. YMMV. It's Symphony X's best to date IMO.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #559 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 PM

Pretending that Pantera started with Cowboys from Hell, I'd say the jump from cowboys to vulgar display of power was huge and the advance ties pretty much anything out there.

Damn did that album shred. It's like the anti-Black Album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo
post #560 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM

To be honest ive resisted listening to that Woods of Ypres album because it sounds so much like Peter Steele and it makes me sad. I might as well give it a go.
post #561 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Pretending that Pantera started with Cowboys from Hell, I'd say the jump from cowboys to vulgar display of power was huge and the advance ties pretty much anything out there.

Damn did that album shred. It's like the anti-Black Album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo

Ha, exactly! I thought of Vulgar but those damn glam albums made me not include it. Nice call.
post #562 of 1401 Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be honest ive resisted listening to that Woods of Ypres album because it sounds so much like Peter Steele and it makes me sad. I might as well give it a go.

Try this song out, gives me the Type O Negative vibe too:

Make sure to up the quality to 480 or is sounds like poo. It still sounds like poo so look it up on Spotify.
post #563 of 1401 Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

post #564 of 1401 Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now Playing: To Live Is To Die - f'n love it.

Ok, next question. Hopefully there are some other AC/DC fans out there.

What is you favorite AC/DC album (excluding Back 'n Black and Highway to Hell since most will pick one of these 2.)

Mine is Powerage. Something about that album... in fact I think it might be my favorite AC/DC album over all. It has this raw, bluesy, dark (hmmm not sure dark is the right word), quality that to me sets it apart from anything else the band has ever done. Favorite songs are Down Payment Blues and What's Next to the Moon but the whole thing is great.

You gotta love Bon Scott. I think I would have to pick him as my all time favorite front man.

"I know I ain't doin' much... doin' nothing means a lot to me." smile.gif
post #565 of 1401 Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 AM

post #566 of 1401 Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 960
post #567 of 1401 Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM

I follow a "straight edge" lifestyle, but I don't really see the point in labelling myself sXe for stuff I don't do. To each their own. Also, by definition, the straight edge movement was meant to be aggressively against unhealthy lifestyles, to the point of treating those who don't live a straight edge way as an enemy. Seems that these days a lot of these bands want the street cred edge label, without the confrontation.
post #568 of 1401 Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:

I follow a "straight edge" lifestyle, but I don't really see the point in labelling myself sXe for stuff I don't do. To each their own. Also, by definition, the straight edge movement was meant to be aggressively against unhealthy lifestyles, to the point of treating those who don't live a straight edge way as an enemy. Seems that these days a lot of these bands want the street cred edge label, without the confrontation.
That point was mentioned in the article.
post #569 of 1401 Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Woah, I'm so glad to find this thread and will have to read more and elaborate later! But for me,

1. Kill 'em All & earlier demo stuff from Metallica. Especially every song written, performed and covered with Mustain in the line up. That solo in Am I Evil? (props to Diamond Head) gets me every time, so killer! I've been working on getting some of their early vinyl as I'm getting into that lately as well.

That said, there is a definite and very respectable progression through the next 2 and even third albums from Metallica and they rank up there with me as well, but the early RAW stuff, that's where it's at for me! My God, to think what could have been had Dave not been kicked out for "partying too hard"!
post #570 of 1401 Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Yeah, kicked outta Alcoholica for partying too hard. Go figure.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page