The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 589Likes

post #31 of 2531 Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Nuance, you had me at 14 minutes! smile.gif
I really like the overall sound of this band, great sad tone going on with good riffs and tempo changes etc. Only thing I don't like... The singer. He has that sound I just don't like - what is it like, blind guardians singer? I don't think that's who I'm thinking of, he has a higher voice than this but it's that same kind of vibe.
That said singers don't make or break it for me, I am going to listen to some more of their stuff thanks.

Glad you liked it! Manticora's singer has no range, and because of that he sounds dark and depressed all the time. It's the one thing I dislike about the band. He's a super nice guy, though - met him at a show. He's also entertaining up on stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I'm not going to list the progression of metal bands during my life because many of them have already been mentioned. A couple of bands that I currently really like are Five Finger Death Punch. I also have a thing for female metal artists. I really like In This Moment, Halestorm, and Flyleaf.

How about these two women of metal?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2531 Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Nice pictures. I have some good pictures of Maria Brink from In This Moment but I don't think they would be allowed on the forum.
post #33 of 2531 Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Nice pictures. I have some good pictures of Maria Brink from In This Moment but I don't think they would be allowed on the forum.

That's what PMs are for!

post #34 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 593
What about Rock god Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister of Motorhead? His deep roots in Metal started in 1975 and when he can he is still going strong.
Lemmy is my Metal Hero's Hero.
Song Rec = The Ace of Spades
Chris

Chris
post #35 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Chris, I checked out So What by Ministry last night. It did sound really good, the Noesis likey. However, the song got repetitive and I lost interest BUT I had always had the impression that I hated Ministry from the one or two songs I have heard and that definitely wasn't the case with this one, I enjoyed it.
post #36 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Glad you liked it! Manticora's singer has no range, and because of that he sounds dark and depressed all the time. It's the one thing I dislike about the band. He's a super nice guy, though - met him at a show. He's also entertaining up on stage.
How about these two women of metal?

Oh yes, love Cristina

And Angela

Cristina does it for me much more so that Angela, but Arch Enemy destroys Lacuna Coil.
post #37 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

What about Rock god Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister of Motorhead? His deep roots in Metal started in 1975 and when he can he is still going strong.
Lemmy is my Metal Hero's Hero.
Song Rec = The Ace of Spades
Chris

Motorhead is one of those bands that I have the utmost respect for, but have never been a huge fan. If not for Lemmy, I doubt Metallica would have a lot of it's sound in the early days, huge influence on them.

I love that documentary about him. Someone was telling the story that backstage Lemmy was handing a bottle of Jack to someone and the assumption was that they were going to pass it around and all take a drink. Nope, Lemmy continued to give everyone their own bottle. biggrin.gif
post #38 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lead singer if Epica. My song recommendation of the day is Feint by Epica. Mellow but so good. Lead singer's voice does it for me much more than her looks, but she's not hard on the eyes either.
post #39 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody get a chance to check out "My Twin" from Katatonia?
AudioJosh likes this.
post #40 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Damn, some metal heads were hungry! This thread exploded! Really enjoying all the input and now my weekend will be full checking out all these bands I have not heard before. Thanks everyone!
Quote:

Ok, going in order here of bands I haven't heard or heard much looking at your guys' suggestions.
First up Airbourne. Yep, sound a lot like ACDC. Not bad, very catchy stuff. I like Rhinobucket better I think, if you haven't heard them you should check them out, I like their singer a lot better.

Agreed! Metaphorically speaking in regard to music only, both Airbourne and Rhinobucket are juvenile delinquents, but at least Rhinobucket made it to high school. wink.gif
Quote:

GreenJP
Alice in Chains was a metal band before the word Grunge existed. For some reason the 90's felt the need to label different types of Rock n Roll music and break it down into too many different categories.
I dont think I have even added any bands to my platlist since the 90's. So basically everything I listen to is 80's & 90's especially when talking metal bands. I am 41 so the 70's music is still old to me but there was alot of true Rock n Roll produced during that decade.
What are some quality metal bands that have formed since 2000?
Chris

Totally right about Alice In Chains. I have been saying this for many years. In fact I feel most grunge is just another faction of metal / rock. Don't tell me that Soundgarden's Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger albums are not metal; that's ridiculous.
Quote:

I'm not going to list the progression of metal bands during my life because many of them have already been mentioned. A couple of bands that I currently really like are Five Finger Death Punch. I also have a thing for female metal artists. I really like In This Moment, Halestorm, and Flyleaf.

Quote:

Lead singer if Epica. My song recommendation of the day is Feint by Epica. Mellow but so good. Lead singer's voice does it for me much more than her looks, but she's not hard on the eyes either.

I was planning to mention Epica in this thread. They are prog rock primarily with some symphonic metal elements, good stuff.

I am just beginning to listen to In This Moment. Different style for sure, I like it for the most part so far. Maria Brink is hotter than belching lava. Oh yeah, I believe there are two of their songs still available at the Amazon Mp3 store for free download if you want a cheap taste.

Halestorm and Flyleaf are good too.

Check-out A Sound Of Thunder for another metal band with a female lead singer. Their song Kill That Bitch is wildly sick and wrong - therefore funny - especially with a woman singing it so menacingly convincingly.
post #41 of 2531 Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 913
I like symphonic metal but their big and sometimes gargantuan problem is that their orchestrations sound VERY cheesy and cheap most of the time. The last two Within Temptation albums were a huge step forward in terms orchestration and sample quality (I think they still don't use real instruments and rely on sample libraries). Even Nightwish back when Tarja was the lead singer had awful arrangements at times. Their last album was better, too bad she's not a part of it. She was soooo much better than their current singer.

Speaking of Within Temptation....it's time for some Sharon!

...I was introduced to Metal in somewhere in 1982 with Run To The Hills... I listened to a lot of bands back then, from Wasp to Helloween via Twisted Sister, Manowar, and many others actually. Metallica quickly became my favorite band (Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets are still undisputable masterpieces imo). Being a musician I listen to a lot of different stuff, but Metal is often where I feel the most at home (except for Muse or Depeche Mode who are still kicking and fresh as ever in 2013, I don't think the musical scene is very creative these days - but that's for another discussion). I was never a fan of high-pitched voices, so even Bruce Dickinson quickly got on my nerves biggrin.gif My favorite metal band these days is Amon Amarth, these guys are just crazy and amazing! ...Even if deep down, I can't hate Metallica even at their weakest tongue.gif ...Seeing them live quickly reminds me that they still got it, and I'm still looking forward to their next album. Also, and I'm not sure it can be considered true "metal" since they're more gothic than "heavy", I love Lacrimosa. It takes time to get used to the sometimes weird-sounding voice of singer Tilo Wolf, but musically they're among the best. The band is also made of singer and babe Anne Nurmi cool.gifwink.gif

...people forget too easily than metal bands are often the most skilled musicians! it had to be said goddammit tongue.gif

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #42 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I like symphonic metal but their big and sometimes gargantuan problem is that their orchestrations sound VERY cheesy and cheap most of the time. The last two Within Temptation albums were a huge step forward in terms orchestration and sample quality (I think they still don't use real instruments and rely on sample libraries). Even Nightwish back when Tarja was the lead singer had awful arrangements at times. Their last album was better, too bad she's not a part of it. She was soooo much better than their current singer.

Speaking of Within Temptation....it's time for some Sharon!

...I was introduced to Metal in somewhere in 1982 with Run To The Hills... I listened to a lot of bands back then, from Wasp to Helloween via Twisted Sister, Manowar, and many others actually. Metallica quickly became my favorite band (Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets are still undisputable masterpieces imo). Being a musician I listen to a lot of different stuff, but Metal is often where I feel the most at home (except for Muse or Depeche Mode who are still kicking and fresh as ever in 2013, I don't think the musical scene is very creative these days - but that's for another discussion). I was never a fan of high-pitched voices, so even Bruce Dickinson quickly got on my nerves biggrin.gif My favorite metal band these days is Amon Amarth, these guys are just crazy and amazing! ...Even if deep down, I can't hate Metallica even at their weakest tongue.gif ...Seeing them live quickly reminds me that they still got it, and I'm still looking forward to their next album. Also, and I'm not sure it can be considered true "metal" since they're more gothic than "heavy", I love Lacrimosa. It takes time to get used to the sometimes weird-sounding voice of singer Tilo Wolf, but musically they're among the best. The band is also made of singer and babe Anne Nurmi cool.gifwink.gif

...people forget too easily than metal bands are often the most skilled musicians! it had to be said goddammit tongue.gif

Thanks for the post and pics!! Oh yeah, I love Within Temptation, their Black Symphony Blu-Ray might be my all time favorite concert disk and that's saying a lot since I own many.

As for Nightwish I too like Tarja much better. Their first album with the new singer was very good, but I just can't get into this latest one (imagenarium or something like that). Seems overblown to me.

I love Amon Amarth too, I think their best work is With Oden On Our Side, not sure if they can match that one again but their newest album is fantastic too.

I'll have to check out Lacrimosa, never heard of them.

Yep, Lightning and Puppets are masterpieces for sure, I include And Justice for All with them too. As you can see, I like these albums - just a little bit! smile.gif They have been my all time favorite albums for many years and I don't think that will ever change.

post #43 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

wow that's nice! cool.gif

Unfortunately I don't have those vinyls anymore... Not that I think that "vinyl sounds better", but just for the nostalgia, I wish I still had them smile.gif ...

If you want to check Lacrimosa, their latest album "Revolution" is a little gem. It has everything in it, from classical to very agressive riffs... cool.gif Again, pay attention to the quality of their music, I think you won't be disappointed... Lead singer Tilo Wolf writes both music and lyrics, he is a classical trained musician and it shows, oh and it's in german, with a few songs in english here and there. They don't use samples.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #44 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

**Disclaimer***
The following is just an opinion.

How the times are truly changing. Heavy metal chicks. No thanks.
The first 2 Slayer concerts I went to had No women in attendence. Later on as the years started going by more and more woman started attending and then came the rules. Ten years later and the early concert atmosphere had completely changed. By the late 90's it was'nt even that much fun anymore. Thats just a example of how 1985-1995 was the glory years for metal and the grass roots turned more into tree roots here to stay for all to enjoy.smile.gif
As far as woman metal bands go its just not for me. If thats offensive then I suck. I just do not know how else to say it. I do not care for bands where the lead singer hits excessively high notes. Instead of whaling it sounds more like squealing. If that makes sense.By the time 2000 rolled around the heavy metal scene had completely changed. I am glad that today both men and woman enjoy Heavy Metal music and shows but for that to happen they had to take out the Violence. The Violence (controlled violence) is what always turned me on to metal.I guess I just got too old. Well to old for the scene but never too old for the music.wink.gif
When I do die I plan on being buried in a Metallica T-shirt.biggrin.gif
Remember to keep your elbows low and if someone goes down help them back up. Those used to be the only rules at a metal show.
Chris

Chris
post #45 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

**Disclaimer***

I was referring to a specific sub-genre (goth/symphonic metal) where lead singers are often (but not always I know) women with soprano voices, to contrast with the "violence" and aggressive sound of the band. There are some really good bands out there, regardless of the singer's gender... If you want really high notes, you might as well use a woman to hit them instead of squeezing your balls to achieve a C5 tongue.gif

...Speaking of metal chicks do you remember Wendy O' WIlliams? smile.gif

post #46 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:

**Disclaimer***

The first 2 Slayer concerts I went to had No women in attendence. Later on as the years started going by more and more woman started attending and then came the rules. Ten years later and the early concert atmosphere had completely changed. By the late 90's it was'nt even that much fun anymore. Thats just a example of how 1985-1995 was the glory years for metal and the grass roots turned more into tree roots here to stay for all to enjoy.smile.gif
As far as woman metal bands go its just not for me. If thats offensive then I suck. I just do not know how else to say it. I do not care for bands where the lead singer hits excessively high notes. Instead of whaling it sounds more like squealing. If that makes sense.By the time 2000 rolled around the heavy metal scene had completely changed. I am glad that today both men and woman enjoy Heavy Metal music and shows but for that to happen they had to take out the Violence. The Violence (controlled violence) is what always turned me on to metal.I guess I just got too old. Well to old for the scene but never too old for the music.wink.gif
When I do die I plan on being buried in a Metallica T-shirt.biggrin.gif
Remember to keep your elbows low and if someone goes down help them back up. Those used to be the only rules at a metal show.
Chris

Listen to Angela from Arch Enemy before you judge her; no squealing present there. Here, check her out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkc08_dR-0

post #47 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Listen to Angela from Arch Enemy before you judge her; no squealing present there. Here, check her out:

Ha, exactly what I was going to post. You would think she's a guy if you didn't see her.

To each his own though Chris, I can completely respect what you are saying. I didn't get into the chick fronted metal bands until a few years ago myself. smile.gif
post #48 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link it is definately an eye opening experience that I would not have believed without seeing for myself. I can and do appreciate whats she is doing.
I can really only use an example like Chris Cornell. The range he can accomplish with his voice is incredible. I use to not care for Slipnot but over the past 5-10 years they have come full circle.Corey Taylor with his Stone Sour project really helped his voice come around. The band has learned to master thier instruments and the combination has brought the band to the front. Korn's progression with Jonathan davis's unique sound is another example.My single favorite singer of all time is Layne Staley. From the first word I herd him sing I was hooked. Every albulm is an original masterpiece and one of the few groups that I enjoy the videos. I wish Layne could have had more time. Modern day AIC should be renamed Almost Alice in Chains or AAIC.
If Metal is done right even though I do not like/care for it I can appreciate it .wink.gif
Does everyone know about "That Metal Show". If not watch it as it is a trip down memory lane and a way to keep up with all the old personalities of metal.
Thanks again
Chris

Chris
post #49 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

...My single favorite singer of all time is Layne Staley. From the first word I herd him sing I was hooked. Every albulm is an original masterpiece and one of the few groups that I enjoy the videos. I wish Layne could have had more time. ...
Me too. But, as with some of the others who had the same fate, the question is would they have done what they did when they were living if they hadn't been doing what led to their death? That question can sure cook your noodle.

Also agree that the current incarnation isn't the same, but regardless I'm glad that Jerry Cantrell is still active. Perhaps my favorite concert of all time was seeing him at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia, 1999 (or maybe it was '98). My brother and I were just a few feet from the stage.

jeff
post #50 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is AIC doing in a metal thread? ......*runs* wink.gif

[edit] damn it's only thursday and I can't write a proper sentence. Fixed.

post #51 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've said before that the new album does not compare to Facelift and Dirt. However, it's really damn good and IMO if Layne had done the vocals it would have approached those masterpieces - not as good, but not a massive step down either.
post #52 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What does AIC is doing in a metal thread? ......*runs* wink.gif

BOOOOOO!!!! eek.giftongue.gifwink.gifsmile.gif
post #53 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What is AIC doing in a metal thread? ......*runs* wink.gif

[edit] damn it's only thursday and I can't write a proper sentence. Fixed.
AIC was a metal band before the word Grunde even existed.
So was Sound Garden. The phrase " Grunge" was invented by Rolling Stone magazine as a way to capitalize on the Seattle Sound. Sparked by Nirvana and AIC doesn't sound like Nirvana
AIC was lumped into that category after the fact.rolleyes.gif
Light Rock
Rock
Hard Rock
Metal
Punk/Alternative
Those were the basic catagories when AIC started
One may disagree but that don't change the facts.smile.gif
I do hope this makes sense.
Chris

I am glad Jerry is still at it too just wish they would change the name but I guess I could say the same about Metallica after And Justice for all.

Chris
post #54 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

AIC was a metal band before the word Grunde even existed.
So was Sound Garden. The phrase " Grunge" was invented by Rolling Stone magazine as a way to capitalize on the Seattle Sound. Sparked by Nirvana and AIC doesn't sound like Nirvana
AIC was lumped into that category after the fact.rolleyes.gif
Light Rock
Rock
Hard Rock
Metal
Punk/Alternative
Those were the basic catagories when AIC started
One may disagree but that don't change the facts.smile.gif
I do hope this makes sense.
Chris

It does make sense no worries smile.gif

It's just that to my ears, but that's just me of course, AIC never sounded really "metal". I'll stop now before I really piss you off tongue.gifbiggrin.gif (and Nirvana has always been terribly overrated, *imo*, and I hate grunge too).

post #55 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It does make sense no worries smile.gif

It's just that to my ears, but that's just me of course, AIC never sounded really "metal". I'll stop now before I really piss you off tongue.gifbiggrin.gif (and Nirvana has always been terribly overrated, *imo*, and I hate grunge too).
Like you said No worries:)
I think this thread will come to prove that we listen to what we grow up on. We are influenced by the people we come in contact with over the years from adolecence to adulthood. So where one grows up at (part of the country or world) plays heavy on musical tastes. Now that the internet is so available this should change. Like what we are doing right now by explaining a little about background and specific tastes in music and the why we like what we like. Its all learned behavior and I for one am interested in broadening my playlist. I still have the same friends I have had since I was 5 - 13. We all listen to the same music.
Likes and Dislikes is part of the game. I never take dislikes personally Afterall I did not write any of the songs.tongue.gif
Good Times
Chris

Chris
post #56 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Morpheo, I just listened to the Revolution album, very interesting. It would take me awhile to get used to the German singing, but if I can get used to death growls you would think I could get used to anything!! smile.gif Worth another listen for sure.

Song recommendation for today: Insomnium "Daughter of the Moon"

The production on this album is poor, but the music itself is great. Check it out.
post #57 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I only own that one Insomnium album, I've been checking out songs from their other albums on Spotify and am VERY impressed.
post #58 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I only own that one Insomnium album, I've been checking out songs from their other albums on Spotify and am VERY impressed.

Great song and great band. They have traces of that Gothenburg sound but more atmosphere and "beauty," for lack of a better word. They remind me of In Flames vs. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow (another awesome melodic death metal band).

Edit: If you haven't listened to Insomnium's "The Day It All Came Down" give it a spin. It's one of my favorites by them!

post #59 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2397 Post(s)
Liked: 3065
The two AIC records that are most recent are really good but not "metal" in the sense of this goth viking fantasy stuff (which is fine) that is dominating this thread (and that's fine too).

That said, VOIVOD rules. LOOK AT THE COVER OF THIS RECORD!!!!
post #60 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM

My song of the day is actually two, because the first is an extended intro into the second, and they must be listened to back-to-back.

Pagan's Mind - "Approaching" followed by "Through Osiris' Eyes" off the album Celestial Entrance. If you don't like those two songs the band isn't for you. Personally I think most of their albums are musical masterpieces (their lyrics are odd, though), but to each their own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page