4Likes

post #721 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Black Metal is one of the genres that I haven't really been able to get into, it usually seems like the production value on black metal albums is very poor. I wonder if this is done on purpose to kind of add to the bleak feel/vibe that most black metal has.

Can anyone recommend a well produced black metal album? Other than Dimmu Borgir, I am familiar with them.

Unfortunately many black metal bands think that poor quality recordings is part of black metal. I feel it's pretty sad since many bands have some amazing skill with the instruments they play. It would be great to listen to their music in high quality. 

I would check out:

Abigail Williams: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBclCnzbQUM&feature=share&list=AL94UKMTqg-9DzKbfg0KPyksbtyd3u2RSL

Immortal (newer stuff):

http://youtu.be/sOOebk_dKFo

Enslaved (newer stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddes3psWpg4

I'm a huge metalhead yet me ear for quality might not be on the same level as others on this forum. But these bands above have better recordings than your typical Mayhem, Burzum, or Darkthrone album. I'm not sure how they rank compared to the rest of the universe though.  

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Cool, thanks! I have heard some Immortal stuff and liked what I heard, I'll check those links out.
post #723 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

I feel the two Load are good rock records (you have to look at them that way) but St. Anger is an insult to humanity.

Agreed here too. I do like some tracks off both loads, but just nothing like some of their earlier stuff

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #724 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So after Carp suggested listening to Still Life in 5.1, I couldn't help but do a full marathon of Opeth in surround sound. biggrin.gif After listening to these albums I did come to the realization that the band has basically gotten progressively better in the mastering of each album. The only difference may be with Still Life. Even though the album was released in 1999, the surround mix was released in 2008 just before Watershed came out. While the mix on Watershed was really good, Still Life was just a little better in terms of being a little more open and dynamic as well as more aggressive in the use of the surrounds. So here is my list in order from 'best sounding' to 'worst sounding', and remember, this is all IMHO:

Heritage
Still Life
Watershed
Ghost Reveries

Now in no way am I insinuating that Ghost Reveries in a bad sounding album. It sounded good, but when compared to the others, it sounds a little less lively than the others (maybe that was on purpose to keep up with the concept of the album rolleyes.gif ) Heritage sounds fantastic. It is crisp, clear, well produced and has great use of surrounds. Like it or hate it, this was a very well made album. Unfortunately, I don't have the surround version of Blackwater Park so I can't comment on that one. I will have to remedy that very soon.

"Harry feels guilt pangs, but Ronnie The Bear could give a @#$!."

post #725 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post

Unfortunately many black metal bands think that poor quality recordings is part of black metal. I feel it's pretty sad since many bands have some amazing skill with the instruments they play. It would be great to listen to their music in high quality. 

I would check out:
Abigail Williams: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBclCnzbQUM&feature=share&list=AL94UKMTqg-9DzKbfg0KPyksbtyd3u2RSL

Immortal (newer stuff):
http://youtu.be/sOOebk_dKFo

Enslaved (newer stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddes3psWpg4

I'm a huge metalhead yet me ear for quality might not be on the same level as others on this forum. But these bands above have better recordings than your typical Mayhem, Burzum, or Darkthrone album. I'm not sure how they rank compared to the rest of the universe though.  

Dude, thanks for helping me finding a song that I have been searching for! I am not much into that Black Metal scene but after checking out the Abigail Williams video, I came across another song that I had heard on the radio and have spent a long time trying to figure out what it was. The song is Ascension Sickness. I don't know what it is about that song, but I really dig it. I will have to check out the other stuff too.
bombertodd likes this.

post #726 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
So it's been about 1 year since the Down - Purple EP was released. This is one of those albums that, when listened to as background music doesn't really stand out.

I've listened to it a few times while doing other things, but never really just to sit down and listen. So I had to head across town today and cranked up the volume. This album shreds! The production of it has a really nice kick drum sound. It works the subs, maybe better bottom end than the new Sabbath album, maybe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Down is THE metal supergroup. there is a ton of talent in this band, and one of the few intense bands that sound as good live as they do on album. Phil is probably one of the strongest singers alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ayuL3j1TNM (turn up the video quality)
post #727 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

So it's been about 1 year since the Down - Purple EP was released. This is one of those albums that, when listened to as background music doesn't really stand out.

I've listened to it a few times while doing other things, but never really just to sit down and listen. So I had to head across town today and cranked up the volume. This album shreds! The production of it has a really nice kick drum sound. It works the subs, maybe better bottom end than the new Sabbath album, maybe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Down is THE metal supergroup. there is a ton of talent in this band, and one of the few intense bands that sound as good live as they do on album. Phil is probably one of the strongest singers alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ayuL3j1TNM (turn up the video quality)

I just had the same experience with a song named Natasha by Pig Destroyer. I've had the album for a few years now and never cared much for it. I got a new car with a better sound system and played the 38 minute song pretty loud and it blew my mind (more of doom/atmospheric/grindcore song). It's crazy how something so good could be right in front of us.  

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #728 of 1278 Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

So after Carp suggested listening to Still Life in 5.1, I couldn't help but do a full marathon of Opeth in surround sound. biggrin.gif After listening to these albums I did come to the realization that the band has basically gotten progressively better in the mastering of each album. The only difference may be with Still Life. Even though the album was released in 1999, the surround mix was released in 2008 just before Watershed came out. While the mix on Watershed was really good, Still Life was just a little better in terms of being a little more open and dynamic as well as more aggressive in the use of the surrounds. So here is my list in order from 'best sounding' to 'worst sounding', and remember, this is all IMHO:

Heritage
Still Life
Watershed
Ghost Reveries

Now in no way am I insinuating that Ghost Reveries in a bad sounding album. It sounded good, but when compared to the others, it sounds a little less lively than the others (maybe that was on purpose to keep up with the concept of the album rolleyes.gif ) Heritage sounds fantastic. It is crisp, clear, well produced and has great use of surrounds. Like it or hate it, this was a very well made album. Unfortunately, I don't have the surround version of Blackwater Park so I can't comment on that one. I will have to remedy that very soon.

Nice!! I've had a few Opeth marathon's myself over the years. Yeah, I would recommend picking up the 5.1 Blackwater Park. Like I said, it's better then I remembered - not as good as Still Life but definitely worth having.

Now if I could just get into Heritage.... I haven't tried in a long time, it's probably time to listen to that album again.
post #729 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Dangit you guys are going to get me headed to fye again for some opeth discs. I have never given them a good listen, I need to.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #730 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Dangit you guys are going to get me headed to fye again for some opeth discs. I have never given them a good listen, I need to.

Start with Blackwater Park.
Valtyr likes this.
post #731 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

.93 from amazon. Should have it tomorrow or Wed. Not bad...Haha
bombertodd likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #732 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brandon, be patient with Opeth - they are an acquired taste but once their music clicks for you (if it does that is) you will be amazed. I didn't care much for Blackwater Park the first 2-3 times through, hard to imagine that now.

NP: The Deliverance album. Love this one too. Guitar solo on A Fair Judgement is too damn good.
esappy likes this.
post #733 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Come to think of it, when trying to get into Opeth it might be a good idea to take it one song at a time, listening to just the one song a few times before moving on and then repeat that with the next song.
esappy likes this.
post #734 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Come to think of it, when trying to get into Opeth it might be a good idea to take it one song at a time, listening to just the one song a few times before moving on and then repeat that with the next song.

It was 'The Grand Conjuration' from Ghost Reveries that finally reeled me in to Opeth. But I will agree with Carp to get Blackwater Park first. Bleak has become one of my all-time favorite songs. I think it also features Steven Wilson on guitars and some backing vocals. Lots of good stuff here to choose from. Be careful with their new album Heritage though. It is quite a bit different from everything else they have done. It is a good album and sounds even better but if you are looking for some blood curdling growls and shredding riffs then this one is not it. My personal favorites are Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Still Life, and Deliverance. Watershed I think is pretty good too but not quite on par with the others I mentioned, IMHO. Their early stuff is great too but took a little longer for me to really get into and honestly I still dont listen to them near as much as the stuff from 1999-2008. But that's me. YMMV.

post #735 of 1278 Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM

So I don't know if this band has been mentioned already (still haven't gone through all the posts on this thread yet redface.gif ) but have you all heard of SuidAkra? I picked up a copy of Book of Dowth and have been really starting to enjoy it. It is a lot more folk/death metal than anything but they change it up some also. I guess you could describe it as "Celtic Metal" if you want. Anyway, I'm starting to dig them and thought I would share. There are interesting reviews of their stuff over at the Encyclopaedia Metallum. Really having a fun time with the Viking/folk metal thing right now. biggrin.gif

post #736 of 1278 Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brandon, be patient with Opeth - they are an acquired taste but once their music clicks for you (if it does that is) you will be amazed. I didn't care much for Blackwater Park the first 2-3 times through, hard to imagine that now.

NP: The Deliverance album. Love this one too. Guitar solo on A Fair Judgement is too damn good.

I certainly will. I usually give any music a good chance. There are few times I have just given up. Country music being one of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

It was 'The Grand Conjuration' from Ghost Reveries that finally reeled me in to Opeth. But I will agree with Carp to get Blackwater Park first. Bleak has become one of my all-time favorite songs. I think it also features Steven Wilson on guitars and some backing vocals. Lots of good stuff here to choose from. Be careful with their new album Heritage though. It is quite a bit different from everything else they have done. It is a good album and sounds even better but if you are looking for some blood curdling growls and shredding riffs then this one is not it. My personal favorites are Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Still Life, and Deliverance. Watershed I think is pretty good too but not quite on par with the others I mentioned, IMHO. Their early stuff is great too but took a little longer for me to really get into and honestly I still dont listen to them near as much as the stuff from 1999-2008. But that's me. YMMV.

I heard the Grand Conjuration on Liquid Metal the other day and was REALLY diggin it, so I think I should be in good shape here with Opeth.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #737 of 1278 Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm kind of jealous Beast, if you are like I was you will end up with a ton of great albums to soak up.

I got into them right as Deliverance and Damnation came out so I had 7 albums, you will have 9 albums - or 10 if you count the newest album Heritage.

For about a year straight pretty much all I listened to were those albums especially their 2nd through 6th albums.
post #738 of 1278 Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I love Opeths music but am not a fan of the singing. Don't like the scream-o stuff.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #739 of 1278 Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm kind of jealous Beast, if you are like I was you will end up with a ton of great albums to soak up.

I got into them right as Deliverance and Damnation came out so I had 7 albums, you will have 9 albums - or 10 if you count the newest album Heritage.

For about a year straight pretty much all I listened to were those albums especially their 2nd through 6th albums.

heh, It's my favorite problem to have biggrin.gif Too often recently I have been lacking good new tunes to dig on. I usually like to get a few new albums every couple of weeks. That amounts to a LOT of tunes.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #740 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Well, I'm pretty excited to find this thread. Thanks for linking me Carp.

As I've grown older I stopped appreciating the likes of black and viking metal (Mithotyn was my favorite forever), and only liked thrash. I built a huge collection of rare thrash records, shirts, tapes, and the like but have almost lost interest in metal. I have a ton of super rare thrash metal vinyl records. Good and underground stuff that most people will never hear. Rather than listing what I have, I can just share my last.fm account that has a lot of the metal i used to listen to. I still turn it on sometimes but have really taken a shining to Jazz lately.

Here is my last fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/valtyrslaingod

Here are some of the youtube video's I've uploaded from my Thrash on Wax collection:
Maybe talking to other people that appreciate metal will spark my interest again! Anyway...

Hi!
post #741 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 PM

I just thumbed around in the spare bedroom and found a couple cool things!

Does/has anyone else ever collected metal things?

The picture on the bottom is signed by the original members of TestAmenT and the others are just rare stuff I've found over the year.

Here is the rarest album in my collection:

Atrophy - Violent by Nature (Still Sealed).
post #742 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm - never heard of Atrophy but I like the description on Amazon, I see they are compared to Testament and Sodom. Ha, love the title of the first song - "Puppies and Friends"

I don't have any collectibles, but I did do some home made wall "art" for my basement/theater room. I'll post pictures when I have time.
post #743 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks carp!

I will take another picture for you since you mention you like Testament and Sodom.

Here are some others I pulled out for my other thrash fans here!

Carp, here is one of my favorites from Black/Viking metal. Production value is great for the Black Metal scene. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqeRKN3fLM
post #744 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:

Hmm - never heard of Atrophy but I like the description on Amazon, I see they are compared to Testament and Sodom.

Hey Carp, thought I'd check out your thread.

BTW, Atrophy is some of the tightest thrash you'll ever hear.

Holy smokes! 740+ posts. It'll take me a while to get through it.

I'm not going to go through my whole metal history because I'm older than most here and there's a lot of it. When I was knee high to a grasshopper my first album was Black Sabbath's Paranoid. I've been hooked on metal ever since.

Besides Judas Priest, not much happened in metal until about 1982-83, so I was into a lot of progressive rock during the mid-late 70's. All of a sudden these British bands like Angel Witch and Witchfinder General started coming out. But 1984 was the year I went full-fledged. That's when I first heard a few Metallica songs. Quickly followed by an album that was my favorite for a long time, is still my favorite doom album of all time and still receives regular play - Trouble's Psalm 9. From 1984-91 I bought just about every piece of thrash, doom and power metal that was worthwhile. You name it I probably have (had - some was stolen) it. About 1991 grunge came out and basically drove metal underground again. I never got into 1990's death metal because it was too chaotic (although just recently I've found a few from that period that are excellent). Every once in a while a good piece would be released, like Fight's A Small Deadly Space, and I'd snap it up, but 1992-2002 was basically metal's Dark Ages for me.

Around 2003-4 some worthwhile metal started to pop up again and some death metal went "groovy" instead of chaotic. And that's mostly what I listen to today. Bands like:
Cataract (best metalcore I know of, especially their With Triumph Comes Loss),
Kataklysm (I'm obsessed with their last four albums),
Cannibal Corpse's Evisceration Plague,
Chimaira's 2004 self-titled and Resurrection,
Killswitch Engage's End of Heartache,
Dawn of Demise,
Full Blown Chaos,
Bloodshot Dawn,
The Agony Scene,
Machinehead's The Blackening,
Onslaught,
Korzus,
and many others.

As I go through the thread I'll see if I can answer any questions.
post #745 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Liked: 12
Just found this thread thanks to Carp. Not a huge metal fan, more a hard rock fan , like Tool and AIC.

Not sure if this band has been discussed here yet, but am loving Polygon of Eyes by the band Scorpion Child.
ambesolman likes this.

post #746 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, Smitty, you are doing well!!!! So many good suggestions for you once you get through the thread and post additional bands that we have suggested that you like. The Genre "metal" is so broad and long-standing it is hard to look at one's history and start throwing stuff right off the bat so I look forward to seeing what you like that we have posted thus far!

Valtyr,

Those are some incredible pieces you have!!! Probably worth a good bit of coin too at this point! I loved Overkill, still love Testament and their newer stuff, and need to check Atrophy again. They had a track or two on a big mix I DL'd I while ago but never looked too hard into them.

Good stuff guys.
Valtyr likes this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #747 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked: 11
Just stumbled across this thread while looking at a Paradigm speaker discussion. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to read through all 25 pages of it yet, but am definitely on my way. A friend of mine sent this to me a week or so ago. and I am not sure if it has been posted here or not, but figured this group could appreciate it. I will advise now I have not tried to link a youtube video to a post before, so my first time may not succeed. I think it was originally posted about two or three weeks ago by the music teacher himself, and shows a group of talented musicians (kids none the less) covering Tool's 46 and 2 and absolutely nailing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKLvYGqaC0

If anyone on here can actually embed the video in the post instead of requiring readers to click the link I have so poorly included in my post, I would appreciate it.
ambesolman likes this.
post #748 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 PM

Liked: 28
Cool thread! My list would look a lot like Carp's first post with a little more metal added in during the 80's. My first concert was Ratt and Queensryche in 1987! By 1988-1989 I was into full blown thrash metal loving bands like Slayer, Metal Church, Overkill, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth the list goes on. My firends and I used to live for Headbangers Ball on MTV back when MTV really was a music channel. It seemed like so many cool genre's of music came out in the 80's and early 90's. The first time I heard Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil in 1985-1986 I was hooked. Then Metallica introduced a sound that took it to another level.

A trip down memory lane...

post #749 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsandCigars View Post

Just stumbled across this thread while looking at a Paradigm speaker discussion. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to read through all 25 pages of it yet, but am definitely on my way. A friend of mine sent this to me a week or so ago. and I am not sure if it has been posted here or not, but figured this group could appreciate it. I will advise now I have not tried to link a youtube video to a post before, so my first time may not succeed. I think it was originally posted about two or three weeks ago by the music teacher himself, and shows a group of talented musicians (kids none the less) covering Tool's 46 and 2 and absolutely nailing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKLvYGqaC0

If anyone on here can actually embed the video in the post instead of requiring readers to click the link I have so poorly included in my post, I would appreciate it.
Awesome video. You're right, they nailed it. And this is coming from a huge tool fan!
post #750 of 1278 Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post

Cool thread! My list would look a lot like Carp's first post with a little more metal added in during the 80's. My first concert was Ratt and Queensryche in 1987! By 1988-1989 I was into full blown thrash metal loving bands like Slayer, Metal Church, Overkill, Anthrax, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth the list goes on. My firends and I used to live for Headbangers Ball on MTV back when MTV really was a music channel. It seemed like so many cool genre's of music came out in the 80's and early 90's. The first time I heard Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil in 1985-1986 I was hooked. Then Metallica introduced a sound that took it to another level.

A trip down memory lane...

Metal Church - Ton of Bricks really brings me back. Although I'm only 27 it was back in my college days I'd play it on tape. LOVED it!
I remember switching between Metal Church and Dark Angel back then. cool.gif
That Testament album is my favorite. I love New Order and a few others but The Legacy is the best of the best. As you can see I have it Framed. One of my favorites of all time.
Quote:
Valtyr,

Those are some incredible pieces you have!!! Probably worth a good bit of coin too at this point! I loved Overkill, still love Testament and their newer stuff, and need to check Atrophy again. They had a track or two on a big mix I DL'd I while ago but never looked too hard into them.

Good stuff guys.

Definitely check out Atrophy again! They are one of my favorite bands from thrash. I'd bet Atrophy and Laaz Rockit would be some of the fastest, tightest thrash ever. I met a guy on SoulSeek when I used it that was the guitarist from Atrophy. He gave me a whole bunch of their studio works that were never released. Awesome guy and awesome band.

I've often thought of letting some of these records go. They need to be in someones hands that can appreciate them. My local record store had a visit from an old Metal Blade merch guy who gave them lots of incredibly rare records and I picked all of them up, some are still sealed as you can see, others I've just collected over the years. They don't have a huge WAF factor and will probably never see my walls again. I've got about 7 Hirax records all signed by Katon W DePena and the rest of them framed and collecting dust now too.

Carsandcigars - to embed a video you can put the word VIDEO in brackets or just hit the film strip button next to the link/picture buttons above the post.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page