The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 589Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 2531 Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,932
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
I'm man enough to admit I'm over Nirvana. Unplugged gets yearly revisits but none of their others do except for In Utero. I was heavy into "grunge" back in the day but never liked how the industry divided it all up. We would stand at a bonfire and go from Megadeth to The Doors and not bat an eyelash until damn Rush came on.

I miss record stores, a lot. That discovery process was very dear to me. Digging through youtube or forums really has no soul to it. At least no soul like getting some side boob from an Omni magazine reading hippie girl does. That CD she suggested was Lenny Kravitz Let Love Rule. The closest analog we have today is kids on the playground showing off iTunes purchases and that's about it at its most organic today.

I hope my daughter (currently 1.5) gets busted for Dead Poets Society style barbaric yawps, out back of the school for some dusty old CD she dug up in my closet. Never mind the genre, mostly.
darthrsg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Nirvana was a simple 3 man band with songs that were basically one verse and one chorus that they repeated over and over for 3-4 minutes and called it a song.

Today looking back without knowing much else about them it would be easy to feel like the statement I wrote above. Living through that time period and being 18 - 25 yrs old gives me a completely different view of what they accomplished. The 70's was Rock and Roll music at it finest. Bands wrote ballads instead of songs and they came with guitar solos that were beautiful to the ears. Rock was new and fresh. Then came the 80's with the hair bands and Rock changed. Bands were all about making money so even the good bands had 2 or 3 good songs on an album and the rest were basic throw aways. It was a confusing time to say the least. If you were not mainsteam you did not get any air play. No air play ment the majority of the people didn't hear your music. Just think of the bands that were popular and look at how few good songs they had. Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Tesla, Great White, Whitesnake,Cinderella, Ratt, and Poison were shoved down are throat and not knowing anything different we ate it with a smile. It was also the time for the start of the so called "underground bands". Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeath all were putting in the work and writing songs that were original and inspiring. The problem was it was hard to gain access to thier music b/c they didn't play it on the radio and very little on Mtv. By the late 80's music was starting to change and bands like GNR came out and started getting some play. Mtv started Head Bangers BAll and for me there was no going back to the old Hair bands. While the underground was trying to break through and the hair bands were still trying to hold on in comes something completely different later to be called Grunge. Nirvana was the face of grunge music. It became a nationwide movement and young and confused teenagers and adults not only listened to the music they lived the life and united based on that lifestyle. The Seattle Sound is what it became known as. Within 2 years Brett Micheals went from selling out arenas to noone even wanting his autograph. It seemed like overnight everyone realized that the hair band 80's was pure Cheese. Nirvana was the nail in Poison's coffin. Grunge killed Cheesey Hairband style Rock and Roll. All of a sudden bands had to start trying harder. Whatever they recorded they had to be able to sound the same live. In the 80's when you went to a concert it rarely sounded like the recordings and some bands even lip synced.B/c of grunge music lip syncing was no longer acceptable. Real Rock and Roll almost died. Thanks to the former underground bands like Pantera, Janes Addiction, AIC, Sound Garden, Rage Against the Machine, and yes Nirvana Rock was transformed into what it is today. You go see a concert today the band sounds the same live as it does recorded. Half assed bands just don't make it anymore.
My point is Nirvana is the one band credited for this even though it was almost everyone else who did the work. Kurt Cobain showed evryone that it was Ok To fail as long as it was real. We were able to watch the beginnings of something special only at the time we did not know it. So Nirvana to me represents a movement a lifestyle and an attitude that still rings strong today. Without them music today would be different.
I will quit rambling now b/c I am running out time
Watch the movie "Rock Star" with Marky Mark and it covers what I was just saying
thanks
Chris

Son Rec = Stranglehold Ted Nuggent (remember he came before the tag metal)

Chris
countryWV is offline  
post #63 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,932
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
I saw Jane's Addiction last May. Farming phenomenal.
darthrsg is offline  
 
post #64 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I saw Jane's Addiction last May. Farming phenomenal.
Good to hear. I saw Pantera open up for Jane's Addiction back in 92' . It is still a highlight in my concert experience.
Perry Ferrall is the creator of LallaPalooza. In its day Lallapalooza was as big of a show as it gets.smile.gif
Chris

Chris
countryWV is offline  
post #65 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Morpheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal by day, Paris by night...
Posts: 7,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 909
^^ nice read thanks for your post ( oops #62 that is) smile.gif

Regardless of the genre, when I listen to music, any kind of music, I need to be emotionally touched, moved, somehow. Whether it's with joy, sadness, anger, you name it. The problem with Nirvana is that I feel absolutely nothing, or maybe total indifference. Even when they came out. Apologies to the fans out there, to each his own, but that's really how I feel about that band. I understand their cultural impact, but to me they wrote poor music and don't deserve all the praise. You might be right when you say the music today would be different had they not existed, but I'm not sure about that. There are a lot of bands that still want to make music and not just sell albums, and I don't think we needed Nirvana to tell us the 80s were cheesy. We came to that conclusion also because time always gives perspective, and always gives the poosibility to compare with "today". How are we going to look at the 2010s 20 years from now? But again, I'm just thinking out loud here...

__________
Nicolas.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
Morpheo is online now  
post #66 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,932
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post


Good to hear. I saw Pantera open up for Jane's Addiction back in 92' . It is still a highlight in my concert experience.
Perry Ferrall is the creator of LallaPalooza. In its day Lallapalooza was as big of a show as it gets.smile.gif
Chris
Saw Lolla in 94 with Pumpkins headlining. Amazing show before they went Mellon Collie.
darthrsg is offline  
post #67 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post


Regardless of the genre, when I listen to music, any kind of music, I need to be emotionally touched, moved, somehow. Whether it's with joy, sadness, anger, you name it.
^ This.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #68 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Metal song of the day: Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Swan Saivo off the yet to be released album "Saivon Lapsi." Here's the music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leXpn9_pi8A

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #69 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

^^ nice read thanks for your post ( oops #62 that is) smile.gif

Regardless of the genre, when I listen to music, any kind of music, I need to be emotionally touched, moved, somehow. Whether it's with joy, sadness, anger, you name it. The problem with Nirvana is that I feel absolutely nothing, or maybe total indifference. Even when they came out. Apologies to the fans out there, to each his own, but that's really how I feel about that band. I understand their cultural impact, but to me they wrote poor music and don't deserve all the praise. You might be right when you say the music today would be different had they not existed, but I'm not sure about that. There are a lot of bands that still want to make music and not just sell albums, and I don't think we needed Nirvana to tell us the 80s were cheesy. We came to that conclusion also because time always gives perspective, and always gives the poosibility to compare with "today". How are we going to look at the 2010s 20 years from now? But again, I'm just thinking out loud here...
That perspective is what eventually led to Cobain's suicide. The commercial side of the industry saw a way to capitalize and pushed them to the front for the money. They were literally overnight sensations before they even had time to learn how to play thier instruments or write thought provoking lyrics. They were handed fame when they really just wanted to exist, get high, and play music. The pressure to live up to the expectations became overwhelming. Combine that with herion, Courtney Love, and a shotgun and Bam suicide. The songs were simple b/c they had less than 3 yrs together as a band once they got David Grohl as the drummer. With that out of the ashes that was Nirvana came The Foo Fighters.
The Foo Fighters is and always will be a living part of Nirvana. Nirvana is now as dead as the 90's and will never be again so I see no reason to defend them. To me Nirvana represents my life from 91-95 so they are so much more than a band.
There is a certain band out there I cannot stand but the world loves them so I do respect what they did. Who are they? The Beatles. I know I may be the only one in the world since they could be considered the most influentual band of all time. Without them No Nirvana. Just b/c music is not liked does not mean I do not appreciate it.
The true musicians aspire for so much more than money and success. They want to be remembered forever. Nirvana accomplished that.smile.gif
Enough Nirvana talk wink.gif
Chris

Chris
countryWV is offline  
post #70 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

My song of the day is actually two, because the first is an extended intro into the second, and they must be listened to back-to-back.

Pagan's Mind - "Approaching" followed by "Through Osiris' Eyes" off the album Celestial Entrance. If you don't like those two songs the band isn't for you. Personally I think most of their albums are musical masterpieces (their lyrics are odd, though), but to each their own.

nuance, spotify only has their live album which does have through osiris' eyes. Listening to it right now and digging it! Lots of dt influence.. i swear I've heard this singer before.
carp is offline  
post #71 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Reminds me of the Arch/Matheos album i have and like.
carp is offline  
post #72 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Which is basically Fates Warning right?
carp is offline  
post #73 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barrel of Burning Trash On A Cold Skid Row Street
Posts: 11,932
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Which is basically Fates Warning right?
Fates Warning is cool. That Parallels record is dope.
darthrsg is offline  
post #74 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Metal song of the day: Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Swan Saivo off the yet to be released album "Saivon Lapsi." Here's the music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leXpn9_pi8A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Metal song of the day: Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Swan Saivo off the yet to be released album "Saivon Lapsi." Here's the music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leXpn9_pi8A

NIce 1080p video, looked great. I found myself liking the parts with death vocals a lot more than the clean sections but overall good - not in the same league as Insomnum, wow I've been listening to a ton of their stuff the last couple days. I always really liked the one album I have from them but the others are just as good!! Wow.
carp is offline  
post #75 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post


NIce 1080p video, looked great. I found myself liking the parts with death vocals a lot more than the clean sections but overall good - not in the same league as Insomnum, wow I've been listening to a ton of their stuff the last couple days. I always really liked the one album I have from them but the others are just as good!! Wow.

Listen to some of their other stuff. They're as good as Insomnium.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #76 of 2531 Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

nuance, spotify only has their live album which does have through osiris' eyes. Listening to it right now and digging it! Lots of dt influence.. i swear I've heard this singer before.

Celestial Entrance and Enigmatic Calling are their masterpieces, with Infinity Devine not far behind. All stellar albums! Their singer has done work for other bands such as Eidolon.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #77 of 2531 Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Celestial Entrance and Enigmatic Calling are their masterpieces, with Infinity Devine not far behind. All stellar albums! Their singer has done work for other bands such as Eidolon.

I'm surprised Spotify doesn't have these albums.
carp is offline  
post #78 of 2531 Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Song of the day....

Love? by Strapping Young Lad. Great video, Evil Dead theme - unfortunately I'll I can find is very low definition with horrible sound on youtube. The song is on spotify too though. Devin Townsend is an incredible musician, great voice too. He's got some great solo stuff. Gene Hoglan is a monster on the drums.
carp is offline  
post #79 of 2531 Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Song of the day....

Love? by Strapping Young Lad. Great video, Evil Dead theme - unfortunately I'll I can find is very low definition with horrible sound on youtube. The song is on spotify too though. Devin Townsend is an incredible musician, great voice too. He's got some great solo stuff. Gene Hoglan is a monster on the drums.

Good stuff man!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #80 of 2531 Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Song of the day:

In the End by Anthrax. I was never a huge Anthrax fan, always respected their stuff but never bought anything growing up. Their newest album is amazing!!

Here is the crappy sounding youtube version, spotify sounds much better but you need to go ahead and buy the album it is that good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WhepjHFNE
carp is offline  
post #81 of 2531 Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If you like your hard rock sludgy (and slightly prog-ish) in a heavy like the 70s way, I highly recommend Sweden's Graveyard. Most recent album, Lights Out, came out late last year. Seeing them in Feb in SF. Check 'em out!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #82 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

If you like your hard rock sludgy (and slightly prog-ish) in a heavy like the 70s way, I highly recommend Sweden's Graveyard. Most recent album, Lights Out, came out late last year. Seeing them in Feb in SF. Check 'em out!

I had a chance to check out the first 4 songs on the Lights Out album. Very different than what I'm used to, but it was interesting so I saved the album in Spotify. Is there more than one singer in the band? If not, then that guy has the ability to vary the sound of his voice quite a bit from song to song. The production with the vocals was impressive, the Noesis were sounding great - vocals were crystal clear and right up front dead square in the middle of the room. I really liked the singer.
carp is offline  
post #83 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Heavy metal song of the day: My Demise by Shadows Fall off their album "Retribution." Time to headbang!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #84 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Heavy metal song of the day: My Demise by Shadows Fall off their album "Retribution." Time to headbang!

NICE!! Playing it right now in the classroom. I own and have always liked The Art of Balance and I also have The War Within, but it didn't do it for me quite as much. I need to look into the rest of their newer albums.
carp is offline  
post #85 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

NICE!! Playing it right now in the classroom. I own and have always liked The Art of Balance and I also have The War Within, but it didn't do it for me quite as much. I need to look into the rest of their newer albums.

Don't bother with "Fallout From The War," but the rest are awesome. I actually like "The War Within" and "Retribution" the best.

Are you a teacher or just much younger than me (I'm 32)? smile.gif

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #86 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,181
Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2880 Post(s)
Liked: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Don't bother with "Fallout From The War," but the rest are awesome. I actually like "The War Within" and "Retribution" the best.

Are you a teacher or just much younger than me (I'm 32)? smile.gif

I'm a teacher and an old man - 39. i was on plan period so i had no kids in the room while i was crankin' some metal - unfortunately on horrible built in ceiling bose speakers but still better than nothing.
Nuance likes this.
carp is offline  
post #87 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
greenjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My brother (33) is an elementary school teacher, he also plays music in the class room. Occasionally he'll play it with the kids in the room. He had the kids asking him "why is he a Powerslave?" one time tongue.gif
Nuance and jwebb1970 like this.
greenjp is offline  
post #88 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I had a chance to check out the first 4 songs on the Lights Out album. Very different than what I'm used to, but it was interesting so I saved the album in Spotify. Is there more than one singer in the band? If not, then that guy has the ability to vary the sound of his voice quite a bit from song to song. The production with the vocals was impressive, the Noesis were sounding great - vocals were crystal clear and right up front dead square in the middle of the room. I really liked the singer.

Just one lead vocalist. While I do like Lights Out a lot, I still think their 2nd album Hisingen Blues is their best to date. They reportedly made quite an impression of some folks, including Rolling Stone's David Fricke, at the 2008 SXSW festival, which was their 1st US gig.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #89 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Nuance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 11,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

My brother (33) is an elementary school teacher, he also plays music in the class room. Occasionally he'll play it with the kids in the room. He had the kids asking him "why is he a Powerslave?" one time tongue.gif
LOL, that's awesome!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
 
 
No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Nuance is offline  
post #90 of 2531 Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,628
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

My brother (33) is an elementary school teacher, he also plays music in the class room. Occasionally he'll play it with the kids in the room. He had the kids asking him "why is he a Powerslave?" one time tongue.gif
That's a little cooler than my first grade teacher who played a record with "If I had a Hammer". But, she's still my favorite teacher to this day.
ambesolman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off