post #991 of 1318 Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
This is my favorite death metal growl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1970 View Post

Judas Priest is, and will always be, my #1 band. It surprised me that nobody on this thread has mentioned them.

That's because they're too obvious wink.gif. I think all modern metal can trace their roots back to either Sabbath or Priest.

Your list of "80s/90s" bands is stunningly close to mine. Just add a few more, like Trouble, Candlemass and Fates Warning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1318 Old 12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Ok so Mine is All Shall Perish, but with a caveat: I don't really usually like the higher pitched screaming, but in this band's case, they have some great low growl along with some ear piercing higher pitched "growl" as well. I love the blend, and the bass drop about 2/3rds of the way through the song is killer biggrin.gif

JasonT35 likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #993 of 1318 Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:

I was lucky enough to have spent my formidable years during the 1980s. I went through my teens listening to the "Holy Trinity" of Heavy Metal: Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath.

Judas Priest is, and will always be, my #1 band. It surprised me that nobody on this thread has mentioned them. I also love the 'Halford' stuff.

When it comes to Iron Maiden, I am not impressed with the material that they have come out with for the past 20 or so years. I love everything up to "Powerslave"

Black Sabbath--I love the first six albums with Ozzy, and everything with Ronnie James Dio, and 'Born Again' with Ian Gillen. There are a couple of songs with the other singers, but nothing compares to those first six albums.

My taste changed during the late '80s and early '90s when Grindcore came about. I listened to a lot of Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Terrorizer, Nocturnus, Carcass, etc...all the Earache Label bands (except the really weird noisecore bands). My favorite band out of the Earache era was Boltthrower.

Then Grunge came along and I fell in love with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden for a while...but it didn't last. I went back to Metal. You had to have been around during that time to understand how Grunge completely took over the music scene. I bet most people that grew up after Grunge can't begin to understand how anybody that was into Slayer could begin to start to listen to bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam LOL.

Other bands that I loved back in the 80s/90s: Kreator, Destruction, D.R.I., Slayer, Metallica, Sepultura, Seventh Angel, Sabbat (U.K.), Mayhem, Possessed, Dark Angel, Testament, Exodus, Celtic Frost, Fates Warning, Helstar, 

Nowadays, I find myself listening to bands like Lord Dying, High on Fire, Bloody Panda, BAT, Baronness, Deftones, Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, Orange Goblin, etc.

Finally, one band that really stands out to me, and who I went out and bought their complete catalog, is VOLBEAT! I love all of their albums, especially the first two. I guess that a person needs to enjoy Metallica's 'Load' album before they can begin to like a band such as Volbeat. I think that their western themes adds an interesting angle to their music. You would also need to enjoy old time rock 'n roll like Elvis, Johnny Cash along with Danzig/Misfits, Metallica, Mercyful Fate, and a little punk. It just saddens me that a lot of people don't enjoy Volbeat's music just because they're not 1000% "metal". Metal, to me anyway, takes on many shapes and forms...but the one thing all of these flavors have in common is that you can bang your head to it, and you can certainly headbang to Volbeat! Something to keep in mind: If it weren't for people like Elvis and Johnny Cash, a lot of Metal bands wouldn't be around today. They're the ones who started it all, along with Chuck Berry. All of that electric rock 'n roll turned into Heavy Metal--Sabbath, Priest, Maiden were all inspired by that old time rock 'n roll.

Good stuff Chimera - thanks for joining and posting. I have heard a lot of what you listen to now, but not all so I have some listening to do.

No Priest?!?! That really surprises me.... how can any self-respecting metal head not like Priest?

As far as Maiden goes, I think they are incredible. I saw them a couple months ago and their live show is one of the best I've ever seen and I've seen a ton. Bruce is in his mid 50's and has the energy of a 18 year old.

My favorite Maiden albums are their 3rd, 4th and 5th albums but I do like Somewhere in Time and 7th Son as well. I have to say though, I was blown away with how good Brave New World is back when it came out in 2000 and I still really like that album. Longer songs and more progressive but not overbearingly so. The follow up Dance of Death suffers from horribly dead production (even the 5.1 dvd audio's production has that dead sound) and their next 2 albums tried a bit too hard to be progressive. Brave New World holds up for me though, great stuff.

Also, I didn't pay attention to Maiden when Bruce was gone but 2 songs they played live on a dvd I bought 10 years ago or so are amazing with Bruce singing. Sign of the Cross and the Clansman live with Bruce - outstanding.

That said... I think I might like The Chemical Wedding (solo Bruce) as much as any Maiden album. I'm sure most of you have heard it, but if not you need to and let it sink in for awhile. It's one of those albums that has the combination of great individual songs but at the same time the entire album is one cohesive work. It really needs to be listened to in it's entirety, in fact I never listen to any of the songs unless I'm putting on the whole album.

Getting back to Priest, I think I was the one guy that liked Nostradamus! I also like the Halford albums and the Fight albums as well.

Somebody mentioned Sabbath - I gotta plug their new album again. I've recommended it a ton but seriously, anyone who hasn't checked it out needs to.

Ok, I'm gonna check out some of these growls. smile.gif

post #994 of 1318 Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

My thinking has always been if the whole album is not worth having, then neither is the one individual song. I don't like just listening to a song here and there too often, most of the time it's full albums.

It's so odd for me to look at someone else's music collection because usually they just have a song or two from each artist. I just don't get that, but hey to each his own.
post #995 of 1318 Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right now I'm checking out some more "Dawn of Demise". Very crunchy - "JJJUUNT JJJUUNT JJJUUNT JJJJUUUNT". That type of guitar sound gets my attention every time.

Smitty, great taste as always. smile.gif

post #996 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 739
HO HO HO You beautiful bastards!

Steam: Guts
post #997 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Also some real metal for you folks:

post #998 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

HO HO HO You beautiful bastards!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

haha! that's awesome! 91 and still headbanging! biggrin.gif
post #999 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Everybody talks about Volbeat's "Evelyn" with Barney Greenway on vocals, but how many of you have heard it with LG Petrov of Entombed singing it?

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

post #1000 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I totally don't get growling, and yet somehow Volbeat puts out a song with it that I can actually listen to. The Bloody Roots show on Sirius had a cover of Them Bones in the growling style, just couldn't get into it. I love Them Bones so maybe the cover didn't stand a chance.

jeff
post #1001 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For me, getting into growls was an aquired taste. Kind of like drinking hard liquor. When you are younger and can't afford much you start off with the nasty stuff that just burns all the way down. As you drink more and more of it you start getting used to it. Then when you can afford that first bottle of the "good stuff", you realize just how smooth it can be. cool.gif Same thing goes for death growls, some of it is just plain nasty but the more you listen the more used to it you get. Then one day, you come across that one growl that is just pure AWESOME, and you now you are hooked and continue to search for more that is even better than the last. biggrin.gif That is what is great about this thread, it's others helping you find out what you have been missing and you doing the same for someone else. Hope that makes as much sense to you as it just did to me. wink.gif

Even if you never get into the growly stuff, if you like metal, you are bound to find something new here. I know I have.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #1002 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Whoa! We broke 1000 posts! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #1003 of 1318 Old 12-17-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

For me, getting into growls was an aquired taste. Kind of like drinking hard liquor. When you are younger and can't afford much you start off with the nasty stuff that just burns all the way down. As you drink more and more of it you start getting used to it. Then when you can afford that first bottle of the "good stuff", you realize just how smooth it can be. cool.gif Same thing goes for death growls, some of it is just plain nasty but the more you listen the more used to it you get. Then one day, you come across that one growl that is just pure AWESOME, and you now you are hooked and continue to search for more that is even better than the last. biggrin.gif That is what is great about this thread, it's others helping you find out what you have been missing and you doing the same for someone else. Hope that makes as much sense to you as it just did to me. wink.gif

Even if you never get into the growly stuff, if you like metal, you are bound to find something new here. I know I have.

That's a really good way to describe it. Definitely an acquired taste. The gradual acceptance of growls over many years for me was:

1. Classic Metallica (yelling on key)
2. Slayer (yelling, not as much on key)
3. Pantera (very gruff aggresive sounding yelling singing combo kind of thing)
4. Fear Factory's Demanufacture and Obsolete albums (90 percent of the way to pure growls - I know their first album already was but I didn't hear and get into that one first)
5. Opeth - taste aquired.

post #1004 of 1318 Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 AM

Actually, Lemmy has been in music far longer than 1975. He was in Hawkwind before forming Motorhead, and he also worked as a roadie for none other than Jimi Hendrix! Even before all of this, he was in various bands.

post #1005 of 1318 Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I really enjoyed the "Lemmy" documentary that aired on Palladia.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #1006 of 1318 Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Come on guys keep the favorite growls coming!

post #1007 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Come on guys keep the favorite growls coming!

Peter Tägtgren

Chris Barnes

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher

Evgeny Linnik
post #1008 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM

I guess I've never really thought of 'growls' being an acquired taste, nor anything different since I have always loved extreme metal

Napalm Death

Boltthrower

Carcass

Entombed

Morbid Angel

Nocturnus

Death

Obituary

Morbid Angel

Pestilence

Asphyx

(1990s) Cannibal Corpse

Massacre

Some of the best growlers out there:

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher

Barney Greenway

LG Petrov

John Tardy

Martin van Drunen

Kam Lee

Karl Willetts

post #1009 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post

Peter Tägtgren

Chris Barnes

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher

Evgeny Linnik

Nice pics, I've heard them all except for the last one - in fact I had never heard of that band.

post #1010 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, and Chris Barnes is so distinctive - one of a kind.

post #1011 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 04:15 PM

The song that started my personal love for extreme metal:

Fischer's death growls make him sound like he's actually dying.

post #1012 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I see Deafheaven thrown around on the cool kid lists any of you hear of that?

post #1013 of 1318 Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Nice pics, I've heard them all except for the last one - in fact I had never heard of that band.

OK, let's see if I can pick my more obscure good growlers.

post #1014 of 1318 Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 AM

Whoops! Forgot this nice one.

post #1015 of 1318 Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Yee haw!

Here's something you don't see every day - cowboy metal. I don't usually listen to plain ol' heavy metal anymore, but these guys are talented. Catchy tune.

post #1016 of 1318 Old 12-24-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Cowboy metal? Crom laughs at your metal.

post #1017 of 1318 Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Cowboy metal? Crom laughs at your metal.

What the ...? Now that's just wrong smile.gif
post #1018 of 1318 Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 PM

What in sweet baby jesus name was that LOL??????

:eek:

post #1019 of 1318 Old 12-24-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What in sweet baby jesus name was that LOL??????

eek.gif

That my child is the metal of Estonia.

post #1020 of 1318 Old 12-25-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 380
They should open for Tool. Every time I've seen them with an opener, they sucked...hard.
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page