post #1171 of 1294 Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I wish I saw this thread sooner smile.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1294 Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I wish I saw this thread sooner smile.gif

Too busy arguing in the HTPC section? tongue.gif
post #1173 of 1294 Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Too busy arguing in the HTPC section? tongue.gif

Your comment just brought awareness to the fact I haven't argued in the HTPC section in months; not since Assassin disappeared. Is it weird I miss it a little ? tongue.gif

The reason I never saw this thread is I don't venture into this forum; I caught it for carp signature link biggrin.gif

I read his first post in this thread and it was almost like I wrote it. Same story. I got some reading to do biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1174 of 1294 Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:

Your comment just brought awareness to the fact I haven't argued in the HTPC section in months; not since Assassin disappeared. Is it weird I miss it a little ? tongue.gif

The reason I never saw this thread is I don't venture into this forum; I caught it for carp signature link biggrin.gif

I read his first post in this thread and it was almost like I wrote it. Same story. I got some reading to do biggrin.gif

Nice! Good to see you here man, I've seen you around the forum but never knew you liked metal. cool.gif
post #1175 of 1294 Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 255
assassin was posting on another forum i frequent (not a dedicated AV one) he was modding a HTPC section but it looks like he has not been active since august of 2013
post #1176 of 1294 Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Nice! Good to see you here man, I've seen you around the forum but never knew you liked metal. cool.gif

I've opened up my music tastes in the last 5 years or so to the point I am one of those people that says they "like everything" but for the first 20 years of my music tastes it was hard rock/heavy metal only. I was the kid in high school that wore the ride the lightning T-shirt eek.gif I picked up guitar at about 15 years old, starting playing in bands in later high school, took music classes in college. I was lucky enough that I got a high paying job in my early twenties, I think I spent about $3k a month on pro audio gear for a solid 2 years- musicians friend was my best friend. I bought a house at 23 with 4 bedrooms but I was single so I made a dedicated jam room- I even bought drums (even though I was a guitarist) just to have. It was complete with PA, mics, etc.. I had a 5150 AMP back then (still have it) that was awesome- also played through the PA speakers with my processor- it was so freakin loud I damaged my hearing. One of my regrets in life. I now have Tinnitus. Fck Tinnititus! I hear a mild ringing basically always and above 16khz I don't really hear anything. I was always into electronics and audio/video too but now I wish I was more careful with the loud music and all the metal concerts I went to as a kid. I went to a lot of concerts. Basically if it was a metal band in the 80's or 90's or 2000's I've seen it.

My favorite was always Ozzy because I loved his guitarists. Randy and Zak just influenced me as guitar player and I loved the songs and way they played. But of coarse I loved basically every band you listed in your first post. In high school I discovered Venom, which was a black metal band- and that kind of drove me into that realm for a bit but I found I came back around to the main stream metal. I remember the first time I heard far beyond driven- it was like a totally new sound and I could not get enough. Pantera has to be one of my favorite metal bands I think.

I have not really followed this thread but you guys every seen the COOKING WITH PANTERA cartoons on facebook ??

It's pure LULZ for a metal head. I dare you not to grin:

Sorry if repost ^

There is a couple more episodes if you want me to post more.

-

post #1177 of 1294 Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've opened up my music tastes in the last 5 years or so to the point I am one of those people that says they "like everything" but for the first 20 years of my music tastes it was hard rock/heavy metal only. I was the kid in high school that wore the ride the lightning T-shirt eek.gif I picked up guitar at about 15 years old, starting playing in bands in later high school, took music classes in college. I was lucky enough that I got a high paying job in my early twenties, I think I spent about $3k a month on pro audio gear for a solid 2 years- musicians friend was my best friend. I bought a house at 23 with 4 bedrooms but I was single so I made a dedicated jam room- I even bought drums (even though I was a guitarist) just to have. It was complete with PA, mics, etc.. I had a 5150 AMP back then (still have it) that was awesome- also played through the PA speakers with my processor- it was so freakin loud I damaged my hearing. One of my regrets in life. I now have Tinnitus. Fck Tinnititus! I hear a mild ringing basically always and above 16khz I don't really hear anything. I was always into electronics and audio/video too but now I wish I was more careful with the loud music and all the metal concerts I went to as a kid. I went to a lot of concerts. Basically if it was a metal band in the 80's or 90's or 2000's I've seen it.

My favorite was always Ozzy because I loved his guitarists. Randy and Zak just influenced me as guitar player and I loved the songs and way they played. But of coarse I loved basically every band you listed in your first post. In high school I discovered Venom, which was a black metal band- and that kind of drove me into that realm for a bit but I found I came back around to the main stream metal. I remember the first time I heard far beyond driven- it was like a totally new sound and I could not get enough. Pantera has to be one of my favorite metal bands I think.

I have not really followed this thread but you guys every seen the COOKING WITH PANTERA cartoons on facebook ??

It's pure LULZ for a metal head. I dare you not to grin:

Sorry if repost ^

Grin?? Hell, I was laughing my ass off! biggrin.gif I'm sure it's not as funny for people that don't know all the songs, but if you do it's hilarious.

Yeah I have tinnitus but I don't pay as much attention to it in the last couple years so it doesn't bother me much. Never going away though, that's for sure. Sounds like you were having the time of your life in your early 20's!! smile.gif

Yep, Pantera is one of my all time favorite bands too. If I had to pick a favorite album I would say Far Beyond Driven. Love the "second side" of that album, the songs that are never played anywhere but are so damn good. Of course Cowboys and Vulgar are all time albums as well.

Love Ozzy too - and both guitarists. I really liked Jake E Lee on his 2 albums as well, not as much as Randy of course.

In my old age I've come back to Black Sabbath. I always respected them of course and heard most of their stuff, but this new album 13 has really gotten me back into them. I can't believe how good the new album is, one of my favorites of the past few years and that's a huge statement for me since I listen to so much stuff. It is that good, and it got me listening to the first 6 (mostly first 4) albums a lot lately.
Mfusick likes this.
post #1178 of 1294 Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah if you know the songs it's way better biggrin.gif

I'm not sure non metal heads would even understand it.

The guy that did those must have put a lot of effort into them. It's really creative. I think the sound tracks are all self produced so in addition to the creativity there's a good degree of production talent and musical ability.

I'm on my phone now but I post up another one that's just as good .. I laugh Everytime.

-

post #1179 of 1294 Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
SmittyJS likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE
Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #1180 of 1294 Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Any Steel Panther fans here? Anyone heard the new album yet ?

Buddy at work played me a track today called "glory hole" and it was about the funniest metal song I ever heard.

-

post #1181 of 1294 Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM

I've listened to the new album about 50x already. Pure comedy
Mfusick likes this.

Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #1182 of 1294 Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could write a book on lifelong musical progression but I will just give you a shorthand chronological list. Twisted sister, metallica, anthrax, ac/dc, pantera, napalm death, death obituary, iron maiden, dri, nirvana, Melvin's, aic,dk, fugazi, sepultura, fudge tunnel, ministry, primus, sick of it all, phish, clutch gwar, bolt thrower, god flesh, Hendrix, helmet, nin, st, fear, tool, testament, Jesus lizard etc... Well it started off chrono. Still listen to all these bands 20 some years later, but now have incorporated well everything cept pop, new country and contemporary crap. Clutch, Marley, Death, maiden, phish, anthrax and Metallica would be my all time faves.
post #1183 of 1294 Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Liked: 10
How could I forget black sabbath?
post #1184 of 1294 Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Any Steel Panther fans here? Anyone heard the new album yet ?

Buddy at work played me a track today called "glory hole" and it was about the funniest metal song I ever heard.

Steel Panther is one of the most fun bands I think I have ever seen. The first time I saw them which if I remember correctly was at the Pain in the Grass festival in Auburn Wa in 2009, I had never heard of them before, but by the end of the first song I was hooked! If you like the band, then you really need to see them live. Their music is entertaining enough on CD, but they bring a whole new dimesion to the music live. This band has a ton of charisma on stage. Well worth your time. In fact, I will be seeing them for the third time in Seattle on May 3rd. I cant wait!

"Harry feels guilt pangs, but Ronnie The Bear could give a @#$!."

post #1185 of 1294 Old 04-20-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post

Steel Panther is one of the most fun bands I think I have ever seen. The first time I saw them which if I remember correctly was at the Pain in the Grass festival in Auburn Wa in 2009, I had never heard of them before, but by the end of the first song I was hooked! If you like the band, then you really need to see them live. Their music is entertaining enough on CD, but they bring a whole new dimesion to the music live. This band has a ton of charisma on stage. Well worth your time. In fact, I will be seeing them for the third time in Seattle on May 3rd. I cant wait!

I just looked they are actually playing my area next month biggrin.gif

-

post #1186 of 1294 Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I just looked they are actually playing my area next month biggrin.gif

Well worth your time and money IMHO

"Harry feels guilt pangs, but Ronnie The Bear could give a @#$!."

post #1187 of 1294 Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 48
I don't think I've seen any "crossover" (thrash + punk) on this thread. If you haven't heard the best of this genre you might be surprised how talented these bands were. Here are a couple full albums of my favorites from the originals' era. Good stuff from start to finish. Still awesome 25+ years later.

1987(?)

REDdawn6 likes this.
post #1188 of 1294 Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

not sure ive seen these guys posted but ive been enjoying them a lot lately

instrumental Prog Metal - kinda like animals as leaders but less intense
JasonT35 likes this.
post #1189 of 1294 Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 AM

This song and the rest of their new album is really good.

Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #1190 of 1294 Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Found these guys

while looking for these guys

both are awesome

also new Insomnium this week, and this album is amazing
post #1191 of 1294 Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
also new Insomnium this week, and this album is amazing
[/quote]

Been listening to it on Spotify all day and you dead on. Its sick.
post #1192 of 1294 Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #1193 of 1294 Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM

Album came out today. Good stuff

Powersound Audio XV15
Anthem MRX 510
Rega RP1
post #1194 of 1294 Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've really been into the album from Kingdom of Sorrow called Behind the Blackest Tears lately. Nice combination of Crowbar and Jamie Jasta.
post #1195 of 1294 Old 04-29-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Howard, nice! I wondered what happened to him.
post #1196 of 1294 Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Insomnium album is beautiful as always. The production is a little dead, at least on Spotify.
post #1197 of 1294 Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post

Wicked video, me likey!
post #1198 of 1294 Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 48
Death metal fans only ...

One of the heaviest songs I've ever heard. The rest of the album is eh, OK, but not up to this standard.

post #1199 of 1294 Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Sorry if repost ^

Haven't posted in months but holy cow, I love this video.

Thanks for sharing!
post #1200 of 1294 Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm pretty sure somewhere in this thread we were talking about me working with the guy that fought Danzig (Danny).

He is one of the coolest guys ever and recently added this to my collection of thrash vinyl:

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page