Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1411 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 57
metalreviews.com

I don't remember seeing this site listed on the thread. I've looked at particular albums on it for several years, but just recently looked at everything from 2000 - now. Well, not everything. Mainly just thrash and death. Over the years I've grown away from any metal that isn't either bludgeoning (as Carp describes - the stuff that makes you crinkle your nose like you smelled something bad), or super tight. If I'm going to listen to "lighter" stuff I'd just as soon listen to SRV, Led Zep, Robin Trower or something in that vein. I haven't found anything worthwhile I didn't already have in the 2000 - now reviews, except the Drunkard album. But those into other genres might.
I don't necessarily agree with their ratings, although, IMO, they tend to get it somewhat close in the thrash and pure death genres much of the time. Like Metal Archives they seem to prefer the more modern dissonant, thinner sounding death metal and are big into black metal, power metal and melodic death metal. But just because they rate something 70/100 (Aeon - Aeons Black ... that's absolutely blasphemous ) doesn't mean it isn't brilliant, so don't automatically bypass it. Likewise, just because they rate something 100/100 (Demonoid - Riders of the Apocalypse) don't think it's going to be the next coming of Metallica's Master of Puppets.
carp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 View Post
I've been listening to metal my entire life.. It all started when I was still in the crib. I shared a bedroom with one of my brothers, and he would play black sabbath and ozzy records, and I'd hang on to the side of the crib and jam along.. thus started the epic journey of metal! LOL. I remember going to school in first grade with my ride the lightning and master of puppets cassettes, and listening to them with a buddy of mine on the classroom tape deck with headphones in the morning. Metallica was my favorite band for the longest time, probably up until I was 12?(1994), when I came back to CT for the summer and stayed with my brother (the one with the sabbath and ozzy records)

His neighbor downstairs was always out on the porch blasting cannibal corpse and obituary albums, and I was like OMG what is this stuff?, since I'd never heard death metal before. I ended up making copies of the tapes, and my other brother found out, and he got me death's individual thought patterns, sepultura's arise and chaos ad albums for my birthday. My head was exploding since as far as I knew, metallica was the heaviest thing in the universe at that point. It was a downhill slope from there. I came back to FL, and ended up buying obituary's world demise and cannibal corpse's the bleeding albums with my allowance. It was after this that I was on a quest to find more badass metal, and I've since gotten into all kinds of stuff, from death metal, black metal, stoner doom, ny hardcore, some industrial stuff, blah blah

I'm 32 now, and still a diehard metal fan.. some people grow out of it, like my brother that got me the death metal albums for my birthday.. he was as metal as they come, and said I would grow out of it too, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Some people just have it ingrained into them. I can appreciate all kinds of music, and do like other stuff, but if you look at my itunes library, it's about 99% metal

I have to say that probably my top three metal albums of all time are:

Pro-pain - The Truth Hurts
Sepultura - Chaos AD
Obituary - World Demise

I'm sure most haven't heard of Pro-pain, but this is their best album - The Truth Hurts

http://youtu.be/LxaAJWrh2xQ

The Project Hate MCMXCIX (awesome black/death/symphonic band that you've probably never heard of. Armageddon March Eternal, and In Hora Mortis Nostrae are their best albums)

http://youtu.be/WglFspSD2BY (youtube quality isn't the best)

Good stuff Cryptic1911. LOVE Sepultura's Arise and Chaos AD and I've heard quite a bit of Pro-Pain including that album and it's good - haven't heard all of the World Demise album I don't think, I'll look it up on google play.

BTW guys, I recently switched from Spotify to Google Play. Google Play has a very similar library to Spotify, not sure which has more music but I bet it's close. Where Google Play destroys Spotify is the radio. With Spotify you get the same artists over and over again and most are well known, with Google Play the variety is awesome and many artists I haven't heard of before. I kept the radio on progressive metal most of the day yesterday and didn't get bored. I love the interface too, nice and bright (I often use my projector screen when surfing through artists) not all dark like Spotify. Also, if there is a youtube video of the song you are listening to you can click one button and the video starts playing.

The sound quality - I thought I could tell the difference between Google Play and CD's/Flac, I would have bet a lot of money that FLAC sounded better. However a friend and I did a blind test and neither could accurately pick between FLAC and Google Play (I believe it's 320 when you pay the 10 bucks a month) even though we thought the difference was obvious before trying it blind. So, yeah, the sound quality is great too!

Cryptic - yeah, I agree with you that with some of us metal is just ingrained. Your in your 30's I doubt you are going to "grow out of it". At 41 I can guarantee I'm going to love metal for life. Like you I can appreciate other kinds of music, last night my wife and daughters were putting on videos from youtube on my system and even thought it's not music I'd ever pick I still enjoyed it - helps that I absolutely love how my system sounds. However, when left to my own devices I always default to metal, always have and always will.

Oh, and Smitty - Aeon's Black 70/100?!?!?! Haha, I'm with you on that one. Almost makes me not want to check out that website....but I will.
post #1413 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah no ****, aeons black is an incredible album

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Dual MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #1414 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
The sound quality - I thought I could tell the difference between Google Play and CD's/Flac, I would have bet a lot of money that FLAC sounded better. However a friend and I did a blind test and neither could accurately pick between FLAC and Google Play (I believe it's 320 when you pay the 10 bucks a month) even though we thought the difference was obvious before trying it blind. So, yeah, the sound quality is great too!
Yeah, I've read several blind tests where no one could consistently pick out the difference at 256 kbps and above. I don't dare mention that in the audio forums here though .

I started downloading Amazon MP3 after I did that research. They're 256. I don't have the speakers that some of you guys do though. I do most of my listening on either Phase Tech Teatro 7.5 VDT or JBL LSR2325 with modest subs. I could probably fit all my subs from all my rooms inside one of your subs.
post #1415 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Yeah, I've read several blind tests where no one could consistently pick out the difference at 256 kbps and above. I don't dare mention that in the audio forums here though .

I started downloading Amazon MP3 after I did that research. They're 256. I don't have the speakers that some of you guys do though. I do most of my listening on either Phase Tech Teatro 7.5 VDT or JBL LSR2325 with modest subs. I could probably fit all my subs from all my rooms inside one of your subs.
I've been a part of quite a few blind GTG (get-to-gether yes I'm an audio dork ). I've been to a blind subwoofer meet, hosted a blind speaker meet, hosted a blind amplifier meet, and attended 3 other blind speaker meets.

What I've learned:

1. Amps sound identical if you keep them below clipping levels. It becomes obvious when you can IMMEDIATELY A/B the amps with no delay between switching - also the volume needs to be level matched to within .1 or .2 decibels

2. Price sometimes doesn't mean anything when comparing speakers. I've heard $2000 speakers that I'd take over $10,000 speakers and vice versa.

3. Differences that seems so obvious when not blind become very difficult to pick out or impossible when blind.

4. Like I said above, I cannot tell the difference between FLAC and 320, and like you say I bet 256 or maybe even lower would be impossible to tell as well.

5. ^ Way off topic ^ so I'll bring it back to metal. I did one blind comparison with a group of friends and when non metal music was playing I didn't have much of a preference. When we played metal I immediately noticed a huge difference. One pair sounded awful and I didn't want to listen to them, and another pair sounded great. We then went back to non-metal and once again I could hardly tell the difference... weird.

Ok, back to metal.
post #1416 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hope some of the experienced metal heads can help me out.

Looking for suggestions.

Bands/songs that are as similar as possible in style/tone and vocals to Nightwish - Nemo

Suggestions?
post #1417 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Hope some of the experienced metal heads can help me out.

Looking for suggestions.

Bands/songs that are as similar as possible in style/tone and vocals to Nightwish - Nemo

Suggestions?

I highly recommend Within Temptation - but - I find their concert blu ray is a lot better than listening to their studio albums. In fact it's so good it's my favorite concert disk and I have a ton including Nightwish End of an Era.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Symphony...pr_product_top

You could check out the CD version on Spotify or Google Play to hear the songs.

I also really like After Forever's first album called Prison of Desire, but it does have some death vocals and you may not like that but it's beautiful music at least to my ears.

Epica's first album was also really good.

post #1418 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the Black Symphony concert. Sound quality doeosn't compare to blu ray disk but you'll get the idea.

post #1419 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like you can play the whole concert one part at a time. ^
post #1420 of 1424 Old 12-14-2014, 06:03 PM

Main riff has a Celtic Frost vibe to it, only this is full-blown death metal. This is actually the brothers who formed the old death metal band Incubus.

post #1421 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Myrkur-Myrkur

One woman black metal act from Denmark. Found it on bandcamp. Recording leaves something to be desired regarding the drums but otherwise I really like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrkir.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	756.4 KB
ID:	424593  
|Tch0rT| likes this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."

Last edited by postrokfan; Yesterday at 08:14 PM.
post #1422 of 1424 Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Myrkur-Myrkur

One woman black metal act from Denmark. Found it on bandcamp. Recording leaves something to be desired regarding the drums but otherwise I really like it.
She's got this guy producing her new album:

Spoiler!
Hopefully he does some guest vocals.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1423 of 1424 Old Today, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
She's got this guy producing her new album:

Spoiler!
Hopefully he does some guest vocals.
Cool. Any idea on the release date?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #1424 of 1424 Old Today, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Cool. Any idea on the release date?
Nothing other than 2015 that I've been able to find.

http://www.relapse.com/label/myrkur-...e-records.html

https://www.facebook.com/myrkurmyrkur

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page