post #1441 of 1483 Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post
Thanks for the Google play suggestion, I'll have to check it out. Never heard Devin Townsends solo stuff, but I'm familiar with him somewhat from his work with Steve Vai on sex and religion. Also, LTE effing rocks, I love those albums. John Petruccis solo album is great too, wish he'd out another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Shoot, neither Spotify or Google Play have Petrucci's solo album. I'll by it.

Check out the albums Ocean Machine, Terria, and Infinity by Devin Townsend.

Here is mellow Devin, skip to 2:00.

Heavier Devin with Strapping Young Lad. Not sure why it's almost all coming out of the left channel.... the video is great too though, obviously based on The Evil Dead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1483 Old 12-20-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tend to like Devin Townsend's more heavy stuff, but this is pretty awesome. Lots of emotion, and you can tell he gave it his all

Withapict likes this.

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two (soon to be four) MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp and Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #1443 of 1483 Old 12-21-2014, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Here's another site to find metal - headbangorgtfo.com. The search function is at the bottom of the page.

This might be a good place to start - Top 100 albums of 2014
carp likes this.
post #1444 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Not sure how many are familiar with this Black Sabbath side project where Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi reunited with Ronnie James Dio.

post #1445 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great thread !

I've got to run some errands but will back on soon.

Mid 40's old guy here who will be running my errands while enjoying new albums from Slash, AC/DC and Godsmack.
post #1446 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm listening to the new Sanctuary album, first one they done since the 80's.

For those that don't know the lead singer went on to be in the band Nevermore. Just listened to the whole album and for a first time through I'm very impressed. Production seems to be inconsistent, some tracks the vocals are buried others not and overall it's a bit muddy but not a huge deal.

I'm very familiar with Nevermore (which this sounds a lot like) but not as much with Sanctuary, I'll have to check out their other 2 albums.
post #1447 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'll have to check out their other 2 albums.
Two very different albums. One thrash, the other much more progressive. You can see the progression toward Nevermore happening between those two albums. Both good though.

I like the new album. If I had to use a word to describe it it would be "professional".
post #1448 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Two very different albums. One thrash, the other much more progressive. You can see the progression toward Nevermore happening between those two albums. Both good though.

I like the new album. If I had to use a word to describe it it would be "professional".
I agree, good word to describe it. Do you like any of the Nevermore albums? I know Dead Heart in a Dead World is very accessible and the obvious choice, but man I love that album. I don't think this new Sanctuary will have anywhere close to the replay that Dead World gets, but still I am very impressed out of the box.

Cool, I'll check out the old stuff. I assume there is a lot more high vocals too?
post #1449 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure how many are familiar with this Black Sabbath side project where Geezer Butler and Tony Iommi reunited with Ronnie James Dio.

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know
Yep, good stuff. ^

Speaking of Geezer and side projects, I remember liking his album with Burton C Bell when I heard it many years ago. I'm a big 90's Fear Factory fan so that helped. I never really went back to it so not sure it's all that good, something else to check out again when I get around to it.
post #1450 of 1483 Old 12-23-2014, 08:29 PM

Ahh, yes. g/z/r - plastic planet! There's some tunes with some groove on it
carp likes this.

post #1451 of 1483 Old 12-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Do you like any of the Nevermore albums?
I had a couple. I don't remember which ones. I think they were in a batch that were stolen during a move. I remember thinking they were OK, but I think I had gotten burned out on thrash, power and progressive metal by that point. Plus I thought 1993-02 was a dead period in metal, so I wasn't listening to much outside the hoard of 1984-92 CDs I'd built up, and groove metal, like Exhorder, Pantera and Testament's The Gathering/Low/Demonic. Nevermore couldn't match the heaviness of those bands and that's what I wanted at the time (still do - always will )
post #1452 of 1483 Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 View Post
The Project Hate MCMXCIX (awesome black/death/symphonic band that you've probably never heard of. Armageddon March Eternal, and In Hora Mortis Nostrae are their best albums)

http://youtu.be/WglFspSD2BY (youtube quality isn't the best)
Since you like The Project Hate MCMXCIX you might like Ram-Zet (a little less symphonic and maybe more industrial):

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1453 of 1483 Old 12-26-2014, 01:43 PM

A few more places to get your metal fix.

BNR Metal Pages

MetalBulletin Blog - lots of obscure, mostly recent stuff

Two Guys Metal Reviews

Metal Observer

Last edited by SmittyJS; 12-26-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #1454 of 1483 Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Those keen on prog metal could fancy a German group Vanden Plas. Last two Opeth's albums have little to do with metal, but I love them. As for streaming I use Wimp, quite a selection of music. Thanks to a 'find similar' feature I discovered Khallice, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, Circus Maximus and some more.
If you'd like to hear some Polish stuff try Acid Drinkers, Carrion, Frontside, Rusted Brain.
carp likes this.

Take care,
Piotr
______________________________________________________________________________________
BD: Panasonic DMB BDT500 AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010 Fronts: B&W CM9, Center and Surrounds: KEF 6000
post #1455 of 1483 Old 12-27-2014, 04:56 PM

These guys are kinda like behemoth / dimmu borgir

thrash-ish band with dave lombardo from slayer on drums

death / thrash from belgium

post #1456 of 1483 Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What a great thread, so glad I found it. Any Therion fans out there? Check em out. They have a huge range of sound so dont just listen to 1 song and think thats how it all sounds. A couple songs come to mind; The Invincible, Children of the Stone, Thor, Flesh of Gods.
post #1457 of 1483 Old 12-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Year-end wrap-up of my favorite finds for 2014.

Death metal:
Insepulto - Morbid Spawn of Resurrection

Technical Death Metal:
Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option

Thrash:
Warfect - Exoneration Denied

Progressive:
Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Doom:
Triptykon – Melana Chasmata

Other:
Austrian Death Machine - Triple Brutal

Heaviest album:
The Destro - Harmony of Discord
carp likes this.
post #1458 of 1483 Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Year-end wrap-up of my favorite finds for 2014.

Death metal:
Insepulto - Morbid Spawn of Resurrection

Technical Death Metal:
Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option

Thrash:
Warfect - Exoneration Denied

Progressive:
Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Doom:
Triptykon – Melana Chasmata

Other:
Austrian Death Machine - Triple Brutal

Heaviest album:
The Destro - Harmony of Discord
I have really enjoyed that Animals as Leaders album. It was on heavy rotation for a while.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #1459 of 1483 Old 01-04-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have been rebuilding my audio/H.T. Setup and have been reading a lot on this forum since oct. I saw this thread about two months ago and came across it again.

Anyway reading the initial post by carp puts me back as in 1984 hearing Bon jovi 7800 degrees, ratt, twisted sister,Mötley Crüe etc makes me appreciate all those over and over as I have made improvements to my home,shop or work space systems. A big improvement to a system is like getting a new guitar and playing a bunch more then normal.

A little about me I must say pink floyd and alice in chains are w/o a doubt my longest favorite bands I will list a couple more so I remember these if I look back In 5 years.
Toll especially 10,000 days and a perfect circle
Zep and anything petrucci
The popular 80's stuff but from 84-90 I must admit I was REALLY into kiss. Sabbath, velvet revolver and appatite is one of the best rock albums ever. Queen, roger waters, and an old local band I liked was called weapons for peace. Petrucci is better then vai but alien love secrets is unreal and I like vai albums but as a player john is better.
Right now I wish my new ordered speakers were here and I'd go listen to in the beginning/shout at the devil right now.
All ac/dc but the newer stuff just didn't listen too all that much.
I play guitar and also another hobby is setting lights to music and have done some odd stuff for Christmas but whatever I listen to tomorrow I'm most into. I just ordered a couple of the floyd immersion box sets but I really want to listen to the dead and Hendrix a bunch soon. My 7 year old actually enjoys music with me so maybe she will have a little say in what I listen to most in the near future.

The black symphony concert will sound cool very, very loud. Need to make sure wife is not expected home! Great threading a lot of great reading and posts.
carp likes this.
post #1460 of 1483 Old 01-06-2015, 05:06 PM

Who wants to hear some metalcore? .................. Hey, who threw that tomato!

I know, but not all metalcore is bad. There's good stuff, like Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Full Blown Chaos and Cataract. Well this is not like any of those . And it definitely won't be to everyone's taste. Heck, I've listened to the whole album four times and I'm still not sure what I think about it, but I do know it's different, certainly not monotonous and these guys are talented musicians, and I must like it because I keep playing it. So I'll throw it out there and you can like it or hate it, but you can't do either unless I share it, so here it is.

post #1461 of 1483 Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who wants to hear some metalcore? .................. Hey, who threw that tomato!

I know, but not all metalcore is bad. There's good stuff, like Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Full Blown Chaos and Cataract. Well this is not like any of those . And it definitely won't be to everyone's taste. Heck, I've listened to the whole album four times and I'm still not sure what I think about it, but I do know it's different, certainly not monotonous and these guys are talented musicians, and I must like it because I keep playing it. So I'll throw it out there and you can like it or hate it, but you can't do either unless I share it, so here it is.

Before The Fall - Antibody
Listening to the album now. Whoa, what's that?!?! Bass guitar noodling (2:15-2:25 ish on Destroy)? Haha, not used to hearing that with this kind of metal.
post #1462 of 1483 Old 01-18-2015, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@SmittyJS , I'm getting mixed up on where I discover new (to me) metal, I can't remember if I stumbled upon this album myself on google play or if you recommended it, but anyway I'm absolutely loving the album Black Future by Vektor. That rhythm guitarist has a Hetfieldian right hand! Very good thrash metal but also progressive and whatever other genre, I'm not good with classification.

I wish the vocalist had more of a growl than a shriek but it's not a huge deal, still great stuff.
post #1463 of 1483 Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Broke out some old grindcore this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From Enslavement.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	487282  

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #1464 of 1483 Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
@SmittyJS , I'm getting mixed up on where I discover new (to me) metal, I can't remember if I stumbled upon this album myself on google play or if you recommended it, but anyway I'm absolutely loving the album Black Future by Vektor. That rhythm guitarist has a Hetfieldian right hand! Very good thrash metal but also progressive and whatever other genre, I'm not good with classification.

I wish the vocalist had more of a growl than a shriek but it's not a huge deal, still great stuff.
I don't think I ever mentioned Vektor. You must have stumbled across it. It's usually referred to as progressive or sometimes even technical thrash. I heard Black Future a couple of years ago. The only reason I didn't buy it is because I like a beefier sound. My favorite technical thrash album is probably Coroner's Mental Vortex.

We should put all the research sites into one list. I have a bunch of bookmarks. Maybe I'll gather them all up and do something with them. Someone else posted a few a few months ago too. I'm still finding new metal sites and tons of albums, although very few of which I care for. It's amazing how many people spend a ton of time blogging reviews on metal albums ... very few of which I agree with unfortunately. I guess metal has left me behind. Either that or most newer metal sucks
post #1465 of 1483 Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think I ever mentioned Vektor. You must have stumbled across it. It's usually referred to as progressive or sometimes even technical thrash. I heard Black Future a couple of years ago. The only reason I didn't buy it is because I like a beefier sound. My favorite technical thrash album is probably Coroner's Mental Vortex.

We should put all the research sites into one list. I have a bunch of bookmarks. Maybe I'll gather them all up and do something with them. Someone else posted a few a few months ago too. I'm still finding new metal sites and tons of albums, although very few of which I care for. It's amazing how many people spend a ton of time blogging reviews on metal albums ... very few of which I agree with unfortunately. I guess metal has left me behind. Either that or most newer metal sucks
Ok, I'll check out Mental Vortex for sure. I agree the production could be thicker for Black Future, however, I can tweak the bass/mid bass/etc. so much on the fly while I'm listening to music that I can almost make anything sound how I want it - within reason of course.

NP Mental Vortex. Good stuff man, nice punchy kick drum and snappy snare are my first impressions. Progressive thrash huh? That genre sounds right up my alley since I've always thought of And Justice for All (one of my all time top 3 albums) as progressive thrash. That may not be the correct categorization but that's how I think if it. I soooooo wish they would have made just one more album continuing in the direction they were heading from Lightning, Puppets and then Justice. Even more progressive, drawn out, time changes, etc. but alas it obviously was not meant to be.

As far as today's metal not being as good I wouldn't worry about it. Even it I never discovered another metal album that I liked I could (and will) spend a life time going back and listening to metal I already love!! I'm sure the same is true for you!
post #1466 of 1483 Old 01-19-2015, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Woah!! Never would have guessed that album came out in 1991!! I would have guessed it was much more recent.
post #1467 of 1483 Old 01-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Who wants to hear some metalcore? .................. Hey, who threw that tomato!]
I like to throw eggs instead
post #1468 of 1483 Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
That genre sounds right up my alley since I've always thought of And Justice for All (one of my all time top 3 albums) as progressive thrash.
Justice was my favorite album for the longest time. In fact, I'd still have to rate it in my top 3 from the 80's (along with Trouble's Psalm 9 and Candlemass' Nightfall). I'm not sure how to categorize it. It's a mixture. It even has some elements of groove metal ... before groove was officially defined. Progressive is probably as good a place as any.

Some other progressive/technical thrash off the top of my head: Realm - Endless War, Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal, Sabbat - Dreamweaver, Deathrow - Deception Ignored, Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann. I owned all of these back in the day.

Some others: Meshuggah - Contradictions Collapse (very close sound to Justice), Invocator - Excursion Demise (personally, I'd classify this as death/thrash, but it's always listed as technical thrash)

When I build my new house I'm gonna have to ask you how I can make thin-sounding albums sound thicker ... minus the 6-foot tall speakers and earthquake producing subs.
post #1469 of 1483 Old 01-20-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Justice was my favorite album for the longest time. In fact, I'd still have to rate it in my top 3 from the 80's (along with Trouble's Psalm 9 and Candlemass' Nightfall). I'm not sure how to categorize it. It's a mixture. It even has some elements of groove metal ... before groove was officially defined. Progressive is probably as good a place as any.

Some other progressive/technical thrash off the top of my head: Realm - Endless War, Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal, Sabbat - Dreamweaver, Deathrow - Deception Ignored, Mekong Delta - The Music of Erich Zann. I owned all of these back in the day.

Some others: Meshuggah - Contradictions Collapse (very close sound to Justice), Invocator - Excursion Demise (personally, I'd classify this as death/thrash, but it's always listed as technical thrash)

When I build my new house I'm gonna have to ask you how I can make thin-sounding albums sound thicker ... minus the 6-foot tall speakers and earthquake producing subs.
I'll be checking out all these for sure, starting with Contradictions Collapse since you say it sounds like Justice. I've tried a few times to get into Meshuggah but I just end up getting bored and moving on.

Having a way to eq your system on the fly will help out a lot, I use a minidsp on my subs and the inuke dsp on my speakers so I can tweak the mid bass and bass to my liking depending on the song that's playing. More midbass helps thicken up the sound - you can't work miracles of course, but you can improve and tweak to taste quite a bit.

What kind of system do you think you will have or will you use your current system? What do you have now?
post #1470 of 1483 Old 01-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Nice thread.

I`ve been listening to a lot of technical\prog stuff of late.

Periphery, Plini, SiKtH and Destiny Potato.

Great bands all

Yamaha RX V775 AV Receiver with 5.1 setup:Tannoy Mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO 1TB and OpenELEC 5.0 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page