AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgartrendkill View Post
Nice thread.

I`ve been listening to a lot of technical\prog stuff of late.

Periphery, Plini, SiKtH and Destiny Potato.

Great bands all
Hey nice screen name! Of those I've only heard Periphery, I'll check the others out. Haha, Destiny Potato - must have been pretty high when they named the band.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1487 Old 01-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'll be checking out all these for sure, starting with Contradictions Collapse since you say it sounds like Justice. I've tried a few times to get into Meshuggah but I just end up getting bored and moving on.

What kind of system do you think you will have or will you use your current system? What do you have now?
I feel the same way about Meshuggah, but that album is different. I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good as Justice, but it definitely has the closest sound I've ever heard.

System-wise, I don't know what the future will hold. I've gotta design the house before I worry about that. It won't have a theater, but it will have an "entertainment" room in the basement (bar, 70" TV, etc.) - possibly soundproof, or close to it, so I can let loose with the metal. And even though I can afford more, I'm pretty cheap. My hobby is investing money moreso than consuming it. I figure I'll blow it all after I retire . I'd probably never spend more than a couple grand for L/R speakers. But I'd consider something like the KRK 10-3 (I read the GTG and lots of reviews). I have a set of JBL LSR2325 and like the idea of studio monitors - especially midfields. However, I do most of my listening now through Phase Tech 7.5 VDT towers with two Sunfire True Super Jr. subwoofers and could live happily with them. I've been in blind tests and have never heard any difference in electronics, so the cheaper, the better (I do understand the ohms, wattage and other issues when selecting the right amp). I do like the idea of an equalizer though. I read a little about the Behringer equalizer. Currently I have a couple of JVC D-class low profile receivers and a Marantz SR4600. Not sure that I'd change those, unless new technology forces my hand. I've read a little about that MiniDSP, but don't quite understand how it works. I figured I'd research it more when I was serious about a change.

On a related note, I was just searching for in-ear monitors that sound good on death metal. A lot of IEMs sound thin on death metal. I have Sennheisers now that are a little muddy. After a lot of reading (mostly at head-fi.org and its offshoots) I decided to give the Monster Turbines a try. They should arrive tomorrow.
post #1473 of 1487 Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
I feel the same way about Meshuggah, but that album is different. I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good as Justice, but it definitely has the closest sound I've ever heard.

System-wise, I don't know what the future will hold. I've gotta design the house before I worry about that. It won't have a theater, but it will have an "entertainment" room in the basement (bar, 70" TV, etc.) - possibly soundproof, or close to it, so I can let loose with the metal. And even though I can afford more, I'm pretty cheap. My hobby is investing money moreso than consuming it. I figure I'll blow it all after I retire . I'd probably never spend more than a couple grand for L/R speakers. But I'd consider something like the KRK 10-3 (I read the GTG and lots of reviews). I have a set of JBL LSR2325 and like the idea of studio monitors - especially midfields. However, I do most of my listening now through Phase Tech 7.5 VDT towers with two Sunfire True Super Jr. subwoofers and could live happily with them. I've been in blind tests and have never heard any difference in electronics, so the cheaper, the better (I do understand the ohms, wattage and other issues when selecting the right amp). I do like the idea of an equalizer though. I read a little about the Behringer equalizer. Currently I have a couple of JVC D-class low profile receivers and a Marantz SR4600. Not sure that I'd change those, unless new technology forces my hand. I've read a little about that MiniDSP, but don't quite understand how it works. I figured I'd research it more when I was serious about a change.

On a related note, I was just searching for in-ear monitors that sound good on death metal. A lot of IEMs sound thin on death metal. I have Sennheisers now that are a little muddy. After a lot of reading (mostly at head-fi.org and its offshoots) I decided to give the Monster Turbines a try. They should arrive tomorrow.
Sounds like you'll have (already do with the JBL's) a very capable setup! Let me know what you think of the in ear's, I have a few pairs of headphones but nothing in ear.

Oh, I have also done a blind amp comparison and I 100% agree with you. An amp is an amp and will sound like all others unless it's clipping or broken.

One product you may want to try: a Crowson transducer. If you have tried transducers before you may think of them as gimicky, fake, etc. and I used to think that too before getting the Crowson. It works differently than the others. It's so fast and accurate and really tricks you into thinking everything you are feeling is coming from the speakers/subs. I currently have mine crossed all the way up to 200 hz for music and it's fantastic. It also saves my hearing and from annoying everyone in the house all the time because you can keep the volume lower and still get that feel. I also recently put in a near field 18" sub right behind my seat. It's great too, and the combination of that and the Crowson is awesome. If I had to pick one though I'd take the Crowson. It's expensive, but worth it.
post #1474 of 1487 Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Hey nice screen name! Of those I've only heard Periphery, I'll check the others out. Haha, Destiny Potato - must have been pretty high when they named the band.
Yeah its pretty weird as band names go, but they are brilliant. SiKtH= one of the best Technical bands out there (recently reformed). Also check out the guitarist, Pin`s other band Aliases.

And thanks!! I took my two favourite Pantera albums, squished the names together and voila!!

Yamaha RX V775 AV Receiver with 5.1 setup:Tannoy Mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO 1TB and OpenELEC 5.0 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #1475 of 1487 Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah its pretty weird as band names go, but they are brilliant. SiKtH= one of the best Technical bands out there (recently reformed). Also check out the guitarist, Pin`s other band Aliases.

And thanks!! I took my two favourite Pantera albums, squished the names together and voila!!

Destiny Potato Indifferent

Will do, I bet they are all on google play music.

My favorite Pantera album is sandwiched right in between those 2 albums, Far Beyond Driven.
post #1476 of 1487 Old 01-21-2015, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Smitty, I'm on song 2 called Erroneous Manipulation. Me likey. I've never heard Meshuggah like this. I'm a sucker for *junt junt junt junt* rythym guitar.
post #1477 of 1487 Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My best friend's band from Alexandroupolis,Greece...

lulimet likes this.
post #1478 of 1487 Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Listening to the album now. Whoa, what's that?!?! Bass guitar noodling (2:15-2:25 ish on Destroy)? Haha, not used to hearing that with this kind of metal.
listen to Destroy and then Raining Blood by Slayer, they have the same cord progression in some of the backing/fill sections

specifically Raining blood 0:45-105 and Destroy 1:45-2:05

when I fist played Destroy I was like WTF this is slayer

lol
post #1479 of 1487 Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
listen to Destroy and then Raining Blood by Slayer, they have the same cord progression in some of the backing/fill sections

specifically Raining blood 0:45-105 and Destroy 1:45-2:05

when I fist played Destroy I was like WTF this is slayer

lol
Ok, will do. I'm sure they have a lot of company with ripping off Slayer!!
post #1480 of 1487 Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Adam,

Haha, listening to that clip from Destroy now. Yep, that's Raining Blood alright!! Enough that it had to be on purpose, like a nod to their influences or something like that.

When I hear that part of Raining Blood cranked up it is near impossible to not bang my head like a teenager.
post #1481 of 1487 Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 355
lol yea, nothing wrong with it and i suspect it was done intentionally as well, its just when i was listening to it in the background i was like WTF did the song just change
post #1482 of 1487 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Nice thread.

I`ve been listening to a lot of technical\prog stuff of late.

Periphery, Plini, SiKtH and Destiny Potato.

Great bands all
I'll have to check out Plini and Destiny Potato as I am a big fan of Periphery and SikTh.

In regard to SikTh, I've heard they got back together and are doing some live shows, I am just hoping they announce a new album soon. Death of a Dead Day was so good and I felt that their next album would be "the magnum opus" but it didn't happen.

In regard to Periphery, I've been spinning their new albums (Juggernaut: Alpha and Juggernaut: Omega) and they do not disappoint. A lot of dense music that will take certainly a few listens to really get.
vulgartrendkill likes this.
post #1483 of 1487 Old Today, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Plini and Destiny Potato are two very different acts. Speaking of different, check out Twelve Foot Ninja. They meld Funk, Metal and Samba in one catchy package!

Yamaha RX V775 AV Receiver with 5.1 setup:Tannoy Mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO 1TB and OpenELEC 5.0 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #1484 of 1487 Old Today, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speaking of different(weird) ...check these guys out..
Japanese weirdness,deathcore,punk rock,funk,pop etc.Did I mention weird?

Pretty cool videos too..

post #1485 of 1487 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 119
INDEPENDENCE, Calif. (AP) -- Bassist Geezer Butler, a founding member of Black Sabbath, has been cited and released after an altercation at a saloon in Death Valley National Park.

The Inyo County, California, sheriff's office says 65-year-old Terence Michael Butler of Beverly Hills was arrested after midnight on Jan. 27 at the Corkscrew Saloon at the Furnace Creek Ranch property in the national park.

Wtnesses told deputies an argument escalated into a physical confrontation, resulting in someone being struck and a broken window.

The musician was arrested and booked into the Inyo County Jail for investigation of misdemeanor assault, public intoxication and vandalism.

Butler tweeted Thursday that he was thankful for "messages & support following the unfortunate altercation that occurred."

An email seeking comment from Black Sabbath's agent was not immediately returned.

AP-WF-01-29-15 2020GMT

Condoms don't guarantee safe sex. A friend was wearing one when he was shot by the woman's husband.
post #1486 of 1487 Old Today, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
post #1487 of 1487 Old Today, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
INDEPENDENCE, Calif. (AP) -- Bassist Geezer Butler, a founding member of Black Sabbath, has been cited and released after an altercation at a saloon in Death Valley National Park.

The Inyo County, California, sheriff's office says 65-year-old Terence Michael Butler of Beverly Hills was arrested after midnight on Jan. 27 at the Corkscrew Saloon at the Furnace Creek Ranch property in the national park.

Wtnesses told deputies an argument escalated into a physical confrontation, resulting in someone being struck and a broken window.

The musician was arrested and booked into the Inyo County Jail for investigation of misdemeanor assault, public intoxication and vandalism.

Butler tweeted Thursday that he was thankful for "messages & support following the unfortunate altercation that occurred."

An email seeking comment from Black Sabbath's agent was not immediately returned.

AP-WF-01-29-15 2020GMT

Haha, wow getting in a fight at 65 years old!!

I hope those guys can put out another album like 13, I loved it. I doubt they can... but then again I had zero hopes for liking 13 before it came out so who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page