The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 54 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 81Likes
post #1591 of 1605 Unread 04-25-2015, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Guys what is the deal with concerts? The CD/DVDs of live shows sound on point, but it sounds nothing like that when you're actually there. Is it the acoustics? NTM it's too dang loud, I have to either stand at the back now or take those ear plugs that lower the volume by 10db.
I hate to say it, but I've started to wonder if they're really worth it. Just like with going to a movie theater, you'd rather stay home and do things your own way (and not get ripped off for beer)

IDK if i'm imaging things but I always assumed live setups were in stereo? The last show I went to it seemed like certain instruments were on the right side and the rest on the left.....isn't that weird? Maybe we need to open our own "Audiophile" metal club

(Do live subs sound bloated to you guys also?)

post #1593 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Concert discs are almost always from the mixing board, so there is nothing captured about the room / acoustics.. it's what is mic'ed up from the instruments and cabinets straight to the board.

I feel the same way.. you spend a ****load of money to go to a concert, get crushed by a bunch of sweaty drunk people, it's way too loud, sounds like crap, and you have to get a 2nd mortgage to buy food or drinks. We must be getting old
ambesolman likes this.

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two (soon to be four) MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp and Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #1594 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
About 10 years back, there was something called Instant Live, where you could buy a copy of the show you just saw on CD just a few minutes after the show was over, and it supposedly came right straight from the soundboard.

I've heard two, Kiss and Peter Frampton, and they both sounded pretty much about like Frampton Comes Alive or Kiss Alive. When listening to them in stereo, the vocals and drums sound in the center of the stage, one guitar on the left and another on the right side.
post #1595 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I picked up Dream Theater - Breaking the 4th Wall on bluray, I find it meh. The sound is very flat and so is the camera work. Just cliché and looks like they used a lot of go-pros. Image quality might be 1080p, but its not a quality 1080p. Im really surprised the production isn't that great compared to the 2 other ones I mentioned earlier, especially for being on a bigger band. Just no thump or brightness
post #1596 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I picked up Dream Theater - Breaking the 4th Wall on bluray, I find it meh. The sound is very flat and so is the camera work. Just cliché and looks like they used a lot of go-pros. Image quality might be 1080p, but its not a quality 1080p. Im really surprised the production isn't that great compared to the 2 other ones I mentioned earlier, especially for being on a bigger band. Just no thump or brightness

True it's not flashy, but I like it better than most concert videos because it lets you actually watch the concert. The camera switches are less than any concert I have seen, you get to watch entire solos with no cut aways. I really liked it.
post #1597 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Not sure if these guys have been posted already, but holy ****!
There's a piece of audio missing from 3:14 for about a minute, but the rest is there.. great album

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two (soon to be four) MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp and Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #1598 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Not sure how many are familiar with this site, but if you're ever looking for obscure CDs and LPs you might have a shot at finding it at Hell's Headbangers.

They have a Spring Clearance sale ($3.33 - 6.66 ... yes hokey), but I didn't see anything I liked that I don't already have.
post #1599 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
True it's not flashy, but I like it better than most concert videos because it lets you actually watch the concert. The camera switches are less than any concert I have seen, you get to watch entire solos with no cut aways. I really liked it.
I could see that, but I think they could have been a little more polished or at least a better sound, something bigger or more real.

On another note,http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dim...day-next-year/ I kinda hope it comes to a region free bluray, ive seen on a youtube numerous times. I wish bands like Emperor and Arcturus would some live concert bluray releases, I know they arent around and Ill never get to see them except on video
post #1600 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I could see that, but I think they could have been a little more polished or at least a better sound, something bigger or more real.

On another note,http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dim...day-next-year/ I kinda hope it comes to a region free bluray, ive seen on a youtube numerous times. I wish bands like Emperor and Arcturus would some live concert bluray releases, I know they arent around and Ill never get to see them except on video
I agree about the sound, it's not bad but is not as good as Budakan or Score.
post #1601 of 1605 Unread 05-04-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
Guys what is the deal with concerts? The CD/DVDs of live shows sound on point, but it sounds nothing like that when you're actually there. Is it the acoustics? NTM it's too dang loud, I have to either stand at the back now or take those ear plugs that lower the volume by 10db.
I hate to say it, but I've started to wonder if they're really worth it. Just like with going to a movie theater, you'd rather stay home and do things your own way (and not get ripped off for beer)

IDK if i'm imaging things but I always assumed live setups were in stereo? The last show I went to it seemed like certain instruments were on the right side and the rest on the left.....isn't that weird? Maybe we need to open our own "Audiophile" metal club

(Do live subs sound bloated to you guys also?)
I think most places just want it loud as frak.
post #1602 of 1605 Unread Today, 03:15 PM

I see what you mean Ulver got weird. I went ahead and ordered their bluray from Kscope and it was went from the UK. Definetly not what I remember of them from Nattens madrigal era. At least they didnt go like I think it was the band "Blackthrone" They went from full blackmetal to just pure noise/atmosphere. Reading upon Ulvers wikipedia, looks like they are quite popular over in Norway at least.
post #1603 of 1605 Unread Today, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Did anyone else pick up ...And Justice For Art: Stories About Heavy Metal Album Covers book? I pre-ordered it about a month and a half ago and mine is finally shipping. Can't wait.

http://andjusticeforart.bigcartel.co...l-album-covers

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1604 of 1605 Unread Today, 03:44 PM

Oh that looks cool, little pricey to me I will keep an eye for one. Ever read "sound of the beast" by richard christie? Or the oldie "lords of chaos" ?
post #1605 of 1605 Unread Today, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yeah that was a bit pricey but it's extremely limited edition, also it's kinda been a dream of mine to make a cover for a metal album for a while so it's totally up my alley... hehe I haven't heard of Sound Of The Beast before, just looked it up kinda almost sounds like a book version of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey documentary. I read Lords of Chaos when it came out a long time ago. I probably still have it somewhere.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion