The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 56 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #1651 of 1667 Old 06-05-2015, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post

My girlfriend is into them and ive never really listened to them. I wanna order one of their concet blurays for her, but no idea which one to get. I think there are 2, one is the last concert with the old singer and some other one from a few years ago. Or I can just order them both
Get the latest one, "Showtime Storytime" - their new singer (Floor Jansen) trounces the previous ones easily, and it's an overall great show (the guys are bit too much show-off at times but well ). Look for "ghost love score" on youtube to give you an idea... oh hell here it is

By the way, thanks for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l

Emperor Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. Probably the best album from Emperor period, good production for a blackmetal cd but still evil. Only other one I liked as much was the split they did in the beginning with Enslaved. You could feel the church burnings in that short album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmlhq5rtFXw
That one is something special - awesome, awesome album!!

Advertisement

post #1652 of 1667 Old 06-05-2015, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Get the latest one, "Showtime Storytime" - their new singer (Floor Jansen) trounces the previous ones easily, and it's an overall great show (the guys are bit too much show-off at times but well ). Look for "ghost love score" on youtube to give you an idea... oh hell here it is

https://youtu.be/L21dXQMNOQs
I don't know if she trounces Tarja. I do like Floor a lot, she is on my favorite album from this genre called Prison of Desire which was After Forever's first album. I think she's great with Nightwish too, but there was something special about Tarja's voice that I really liked too. Different styles, both great.
post #1653 of 1667 Old 06-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

https://youtu.be/L21dXQMNOQs

By the way, thanks for this:

That one is something special - awesome, awesome album!!
I actually bought both, showtime story time and end of an era. I did enjoy showtime story time more. Im under the impression Floor is the 3rd vocalist now? I see they have been around a long time but ive never heard of them till recently.

Glad you like Emperor, if you are really into blackmetal they are one of the bands you really need to listen to. I will also recommend Marduk, well older Marduk.

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Polk T15s, c: Infinity Beta C360
post #1654 of 1667 Old 06-06-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I don't know if she trounces Tarja. I do like Floor a lot, she is on my favorite album from this genre called Prison of Desire which was After Forever's first album. I think she's great with Nightwish too, but there was something special about Tarja's voice that I really liked too. Different styles, both great.
I like Tarja, she does have an amazing voice but I think Floor is equally good, plus she can be more "aggressive" as well, which to me puts her a step above Tarja. Having said that the last Nightwish album was disappointing imo, they had a full orchestra (nice change compared to the usual cheap synths sounds), they sound great and yet most of the songs are kind of dull, nothing really stands out, and Floor isn't using her voice to its full potential. She's more impressive on the live show. Maybe I need to listen to it more carefully, but I was not impressed by their latest opus.

post #1655 of 1667 Old 06-06-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Glad you like Emperor, if you are really into blackmetal they are one of the bands you really need to listen to. I will also recommend Marduk, well older Marduk.
I like when it's extreme *and* melodic at the same time.

post #1656 of 1667 Old 06-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I like when it's extreme *and* melodic at the same time.
Well Marduk is pretty much extreme and only extreme You should check out Dissection then. They were swedish black metal, a little bit different than the norwegian stuff.

Maybe try some Abigor - OPUS IV

older Dimmu Borgir - For all Tid

Daylight Dies -Lost to the Living, this is more along the lines of Katatonia though. I have their demo tape from like 15 years ago when I used to talk to the drummer on IRC chat

Darkthrone - Secrets of the Blackarts

Dawn

as you can tell this is all old school crap from the late 90s
|Tch0rT| likes this.

post #1657 of 1667 Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
I like Tarja, she does have an amazing voice but I think Floor is equally good, plus she can be more "aggressive" as well, which to me puts her a step above Tarja. Having said that the last Nightwish album was disappointing imo, they had a full orchestra (nice change compared to the usual cheap synths sounds), they sound great and yet most of the songs are kind of dull, nothing really stands out, and Floor isn't using her voice to its full potential. She's more impressive on the live show. Maybe I need to listen to it more carefully, but I was not impressed by their latest opus.
I agree. Their newest album seemed completely bland and I lost interest very quickly. I tried a couple of times to force feed it to myself but I couldn't do it, similar to the last 2 Opeth albums - although with those I tried a lot more than a couple of times.
post #1658 of 1667 Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 85
mars51, you have good taste in metal. \m/

Quote:
Daylight Dies -Lost to the Living, this is more along the lines of Katatonia though. I have their demo tape from like 15 years ago when I used to talk to the drummer on IRC chat
If my memory serves me correctly the drummer for Daylight Dies did a Katatonia fan page back in the early days of the web and it turned into the offical Katatonia web page eventually. Or at least something along those lines. If it wasn't for the fan pages back in the early days of teh intrawebz I wouldn't know half of these bands.

EDIT, got my collection on random and Daylight Dies comes on right after posting this. \m/
mars5l likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1659 of 1667 Old 06-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
mars51, you have good taste in metal. \m/

If my memory serves me correctly the drummer for Daylight Dies did a Katatonia fan page back in the early days of the web and it turned into the offical Katatonia web page eventually. Or at least something along those lines. If it wasn't for the fan pages back in the early days of teh intrawebz I wouldn't know half of these bands.

EDIT, got my collection on random and Daylight Dies comes on right after posting this. \m/
I used to have a a crappy webzine for reviewing metal tapes and cds back in the day. A lot of my collection is promo stuff and demos. Used to tape trade with a few other bands and some other webzine guys. Have a few tapes with random stuff that I have no idea what it is anymore. That and theres some band cds being in the blackmetal vein you have no idea who they are by the logo on the cd if there was a logo
|Tch0rT| likes this.

post #1660 of 1667 Old 06-14-2015, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Even though I play guitar I had my fill of shredding a long time ago. However, this is a nice instrumental that shreds, but doesn't focus on the shredding.

post #1661 of 1667 Old 06-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sludgy...muddy...perfect..

post #1662 of 1667 Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
Never heard of them before. But I like!

Shylmagoghnar - Emergence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGo-9tKb90
This is a really well done album. I don't typically listen to black metal due to the nature of the subject matter, but the melodies and beauty of their songs really hit you. Thanks for this recommendation!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #1663 of 1667 Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bumped into these guys today. I am thinking of taking the plunge on their Heavy Meta album

post #1664 of 1667 Old 06-24-2015, 07:21 PM

Ya thank me later hippies!

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #1665 of 1667 Old 06-25-2015, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Guiz!! Guyz!! Are there any Subwoofers out there that could keep up with Fleshgod!?!? I wonder.............

post #1666 of 1667 Old 06-25-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Heres a band I came across recently.

Some really good Technical stuff coming out at the moment. Caution...bad language!!!

Yamaha RX V775 AV Receiver with 5.1 setup:Tannoy Mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO 1TB and OpenELEC 5.0 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #1667 of 1667 Old Today, 06:10 PM

I'm showing my age here...

klaatu barada nik*cough*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion