The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 319Likes

Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1994 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
I'm assuming this is the Live at Budokhan blu-ray? Amazon has it for $12. I've watched DT on Palladia, and I've always liked them, but their songs don't tend to hold my interest for a whole DVD. But if it's cheap enough it may be worth picking up. I'm not much on sitting down for two hours and watching concerts - or movies for that matter. I always seem to have a long To Do list calling me. My only concert blu-rays are Rush's R30, which I can watch over and over, Styx's Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight and The Big 4, of which I usually only watch Slayer and Megadeth. And I have Rush's R40 in my Amazon basket right now. Been hoping it would fall from $20. Yeah, I'm cheap. I haven't seen any other metal blu-rays I'm interested in except maybe Testament and Kreator. Certainly none from the more obscure bands I listen to.
Yes Live at Budokan. Worth a buy at 12 bucks for sure. I don't often watch concert disks from beginning to end either.

Rush fan huh? I missed that. I've seen a few of their concerts including R30 on the Palladia channel and all are outstanding. Love their 70's and early 80's albums.

Have you seen Through The Never? By far the best sounding/looking concert blu ray I've seen. The story isn't great but it's interesting and certainly not cheesy and doesn't seem to take away from watching the concert. It's the only 2:35:1 concert that I know of so it looks amazing on a big screen. Disk is worth it for the live performance alone (no fans, just bad playing on stage) of Orion during the closing credits. 7.1 sound of my all time favorite song - nice.

Nuance and TheNightwisher like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 13989
Hello @carp , did you watch the documentary called "Metal Evolution"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1978940/
Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post
Hello @carp , did you watch the documentary called "Metal Evolution"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1978940/
I did back when it was on tv, I watched every single minute of that thing. I was disappointed with the episode (very first one I think) where he (and others he interviews) talk about how some people must just be wired so that metal music does something to our brains (metal heads). He wants to test this out so he gets a brain scan done taken when he is listening to metal. They show him getting the scan and a picture of the results in the brain but then all of a sudden he moves on and doesn't talk about the results at all. Maybe that part was cut out when they showed it on tv I don't know, but I was very curious about this.
Rodrigues_Brazil likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I did back when it was on tv, I watched every single minute of that thing. I was disappointed with the episode (very first one I think) where he (and others he interviews) talk about how some people must just be wired so that metal music does something to our brains (metal heads). He wants to test this out so he gets a brain scan done taken when he is listening to metal. They show him getting the scan and a picture of the results in the brain but then all of a sudden he moves on and doesn't talk about the results at all. Maybe that part was cut out when they showed it on tv I don't know, but I was very curious about this.

I'd imagine it'd be similar to other functional MRI patients who were exposed to stimuli that they considered pleasurable, i.e. More activity in that region of the brain.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I'd imagine it'd be similar to other functional MRI patients who were exposed to stimuli that they considered pleasurable, i.e. More activity in that region of the brain.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
As someone who studies psychology, I can say that that is most likely the case (as a non-professional of course). It should be no different for someone who loves metal to listen to metal than for someone who loves jazz to listen to jazz (provided both people love the particular song that is playing), in that they both find it pleasurable. There's probably a good dopamine release when the metal comes on (as there should be).

As far as what each person is thinking about when that person listens to metal (or their favorite type of music) would probably vary widely from person to person. That would be the real difference, as different brain regions would be activated depending on what they were thinking about. Whether that can be generalized for metal vs. jazz vs. other genres would be an interesting study. Sign me up.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663/Kenwood KR-5030 (Stereo), Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1, and Pioneer, Kenwood, dbx, Luxman, Burwen, and JVC vintage equipment

Last edited by TheNightwisher; 11-30-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Have you guys ever seen the Myth Busters episode where they play different types of music 24-7 on a roof-top greenhouse to see which plants grow quicker and are more lush and healthy? Guess which music genre won. Just sayin'!

I'm looking forward to the new Dream Theater album. They've gone full on fantasy/sci-fi with this one, and even created a website so you can follow/play along. I hope it's not some weird, overly artsy album with a bunch of spoken word.

http://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing
carp and Rodrigues_Brazil like this.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 109
^ Haha yes I have seen that episode
Nuance likes this.

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two 18" Dayton PA460's + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
Old 12-01-2015, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
Have you guys ever seen the Myth Busters episode where they play different types of music 24-7 on a roof-top greenhouse to see which plants grow quicker and are more lush and healthy? Guess which music genre won. Just sayin'!

I'm looking forward to the new Dream Theater album. They've gone full on fantasy/sci-fi with this one, and even created a website so you can follow/play along. I hope it's not some weird, overly artsy album with a bunch of spoken word.

http://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing

Oh boy... they may have gone off the deep end. I thought that for Scenes from a Memory too before I heard it though so who knows.
Steve Crowley and Nuance like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Oh boy... they may have gone off the deep end. I thought that for Scenes from a Memory too before I heard it though so who knows.
True. I'll wait to reserve judgement, as Scenes from a Memory is phenomenal. But 34 tracks revealed already? What the what? I'm hoping they aren't all actual tracks but rather movements numbers that make up an entire track or something.

I'm spinning Insomnium's 'Across the Dark' right now. I never tire of those guys.
carp likes this.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
True. I'll wait to reserve judgement, as Scenes from a Memory is phenomenal. But 34 tracks revealed already? What the what? I'm hoping they aren't all actual tracks but rather movements numbers that make up an entire track or something.

I'm spinning Insomnium's 'Across the Dark' right now. I never tire of those guys.

Yep Scenes is my 3rd favorite of theirs after Images and Words/Awake. Oh yes I love Insomnium. If you haven't checked out Omnium Gatherum they are very similar and also very good.
Nuance likes this.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Monolord

Doom Metal - Make sure those subwoofers are turned up!

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
Old 12-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 195
High octane shred heaviness

Old 12-08-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
I have this album, and all the way through it is pure awesomeness! I highly recommend it - perfect workout music!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I've been listening to Halcyon Way a lot for the past couple years. They're a power metal band that needs a lot more recognition, IMO. Hopefully I can catch them live sometime, which should be doable since they are from Atlanta.

carp likes this.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663/Kenwood KR-5030 (Stereo), Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1, and Pioneer, Kenwood, dbx, Luxman, Burwen, and JVC vintage equipment
Old 12-08-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
Conquering Dystopia and Paul Wardingham's The Human Afflication are my two instrumental metal finds of the past year.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:28 AM

andersa and SmittyJS like this.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:39 PM

My Best Finds of the Year

Well, it's that time again. I'm gonna be busy later this month so I figured I'd end it a little early. Pickin's were a little slim this year, especially considering I sampled a couple thousand albums. I can't say I found anything I can't live without, however I am a little picky, and there were some worthwhile acquisitions. The thrash genre was tough because there were a lot of equally good bands in different sub-genres, so that's how I'm going to list them. Sorry about clogging up the thread with images, but the links kept turning into images so I just went with it, and as Bob Cratchit said, " 'Tis only once a year".

Death metal (a veritable desert of choices this year)

Thrash

Thrash/Death

Technical Thrash

Melodeath

Hardcore

Groove/Hardcore

* Song of the Year *
andersa and carp like this.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:17 PM

(Death metal, on the extreme end of the scale ... not for the uninitiated)

Medi0gre and Cryptic1911 like this.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM

That's my kinda stuff!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tons of great recommendations here lately. Going through them tonight - again.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:14 PM

SmittyJS likes this.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM

I like that Veld. Listened all the way through. A classy form of extreme metal, if there is such a thing. Added to my library.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:09 AM

I had the same reaction. It's done very well, and very clean. It's extreme, but the music comes first.. not the "extreme" for the sake of being extreme like some bands

it's kind of a mix of Aeon, Behemoth, and Dimmu Borgir the way I see it

Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 PM

Old 12-17-2015, 06:30 AM

(Instrumental progressive death metal ... sort of)

First of all, let me say this will not be to everyone's liking, but I thought it so unusual and virtuosic that I have to post it. This is easily the most eclectic metal I've ever heard. For those familiar with Blotted Science, you can think of it in that vein, only WAY more eclectic. It's an amalgamation of death, djent, jazz, Middle Eastern and God knows what else, all thrown in a blender and somehow emerging as a flavorful concoction. On top of that we may finally have a metal album worth using as a speaker demo. And unbelievably, THIS IS A ONE-MAN BAND!

I had a heck of a time picking which song to feature because they're all so unique, so don't just go by this selection. You can hear the whole album (Sleep Terror - Unihemispheria) on Bandcamp. I posted the Bandcamp version of the song because it sounds way better than the YouTube version.

Enjoy ... or not.

http://sleepterror.bandcamp.com/trac...ng-tranquility
|Tch0rT| likes this.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Sleep Terror rules. I didn't know he had a new album. I had heard he auditioned to be in Necrophagist at one point.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 12-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
Sleep Terror rules. I didn't know he had a new album.
Well, it looks like it's a remake of some of the 2006 album, along with a few new songs(?). He doesn't list that old album on Bandcamp, so I guess he just merged it into this.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
My Best Finds of the Year

Well, it's that time again. I'm gonna be busy later this month so I figured I'd end it a little early. Pickin's were a little slim this year, especially considering I sampled a couple thousand albums. I can't say I found anything I can't live without, however I am a little picky, and there were some worthwhile acquisitions. The thrash genre was tough because there were a lot of equally good bands in different sub-genres, so that's how I'm going to list them. Sorry about clogging up the thread with images, but the links kept turning into images so I just went with it, and as Bob Cratchit said, " 'Tis only once a year".

Death metal (a veritable desert of choices this year)
Volturyon - Coordinated Mutilation

Thrash
Unhoped - Die Harder

Thrash/Death
From Beyond - No More Room in Hell (EP)
Apocalypse Warhead - Opening the Silos
Flayed Disciple - Death Hammer

Technical Thrash
Violent Omen - Lunatic's Revenge

Melodeath
Decadawn - Solitary Confinement

Hardcore
Ringworm - Hammer of the Witch

Groove/Hardcore
Stampin' Ground - Carved From Empty Words

* Song of the Year *
Sanctuary - Exitium

Nice!

klaatu barada nik*cough*
Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi0gre View Post
Nice!
Would you believe that is a one-man band.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement