The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 292Likes

post #1861 of 1962 Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sanctuary's first two albums are classics. Also Metal Church and Reverend.

65JS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1962 Old 02-04-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Megadeth puts in a great show! Saw them in '99 at Ozzfest along with Coal Chamber, Soulfly, Limp Bizkit, Tool and of course Ozzy

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #1863 of 1962 Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Megadeth puts in a great show!
I'm not a big Megadeth fan (haven't bought any of their stuff since Countdown to Extinction), but I'd have to say on The Big Four blu-ray I think they put on the best show. Much thicker, more aggressive sound live than their albums.
post #1864 of 1962 Old 02-05-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Dropping in to let you guys know to check out Deathgasm. You lot should enjoy it.

carp, SmittyJS and bombertodd like this.
post #1865 of 1962 Old 02-05-2016, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
I'm not a big Megadeth fan (haven't bought any of their stuff since Countdown to Extinction), but I'd have to say on The Big Four blu-ray I think they put on the best show. Much thicker, more aggressive sound live than their albums.

Ha! Interesting.... I have the opposite impressions. To me they are the weakest of the 4 on the disk, they sound the thinnest to me. Still not bad don't get me wrong, I think all 4 bands sound great.

Slayer sounds really good but I can't stand the sagging poop in the (leather) pants look that Hanneman is sporting.
post #1866 of 1962 Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It's subjective. We all like who we like. I have always thought Megadeth has the best catalog. Hands down. Plus you can damn near add Metallica's Kill Em All to his catalog as well. Their new cd that just released is easily in their top 5. As far as the Big 4 goes, slip in Exodus in place of Anthrax. Or maybe the Big 5. Exodus's latest cd "Blood in Blood Out" is incredible. And it might be the best sounding metal cd I've ever played through my system. Wish they remaster all the old classics like this!
As far as thin sounding???? Don't judge any of those bands based on a video.
I saw back to back nights when Megadeth and Slayer toured together. The one where they played Rust in Peace and Seasons in the Abyss in their entirety. SF and Sacramento the next night. Megadeth sounded better than Slayer in SF, where as Slayer sounded better than Megadeth in Sacramento. The venues? Either way they both kicked ass both nights.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.4i (mains)~Veritas V2.2i(Front Wides)~Veritas V2.0ic (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's/2 UXL-18's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #1867 of 1962 Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=Iron Maiden;41302657]
As far as thin sounding???? Don't judge any of those bands based on a video.
/QUOTE]

No, no, I wasn't doing that. I was just saying how our impressions can be completely different from a single disk, nothing more - and like I said all 4 bands sound great on that disk to me.

I love all these bands and I'm certainly not judging Megadeth on that concert disk, I own so much Megadeth - including concert disks. I bought everything Megadeth put out up to and including Risk. I absolutely LOVED and still LOVE the Rust in Peace album. All time great metal album, a masterpiece. Countdown was very good and they kind of lost my interest a bit after that but I've never thought bad of them. I've seen them twice and had a great time at both concerts (99 Ozzfest and a couple of years ago opening for Maiden).

Yep, we all have our favorites and for me it's Lightning, Puppets, and Justice not necessarily in that order. That doesn't mean I don't love the other bands too though.
post #1868 of 1962 Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So what you do you guys think about Abbath leaving Immortal?

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
post #1869 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ha! Interesting.... I have the opposite impressions. To me they are the weakest of the 4 on the disk, they sound the thinnest to me. Still not bad don't get me wrong, I think all 4 bands sound great.

Slayer sounds really good but I can't stand the sagging poop in the (leather) pants look that Hanneman is sporting.
Thinniest "sound", yes. But the band sounded more cohesive and the rhythms much heavier than on the album. I think it has to do with how much Megadeth surprised me, because I was expecting them to be the least metal of the four. But songs like Holy Wars, were much better than the album version. They're the only band that actually gave me chills on that video. I knew some of their early songs from Rust and Peace Sells were brilliant, and I always knew Mustaine was a great songwriter, but they just never had the heaviness to excite me. But that heaviness came out live. It turned me on to watching some of their other live performances. So I bought their blu-ray "Rust In Peace" at the Hollywood Palladium and it was good too. Now I'll never be able to go back to their album versions. And I've always thought Chris Broderick was one of the better lead guitarists in metal.

Slayer is normally my favorite of those four - they're the heaviest and most evil-sounding - and I liked them 2nd best on the video. I like early Anthrax, but realistically only Spreading the Disease and Among the Living. I thought they did a good job. I'm not crazy about their singer. And Metallica, while sounding good on the vid hasn't done anything for me since the Black album. I think they did a good job playing their old songs. I guess I've heard those songs SO many times, they don't excite me any more.
post #1870 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:

Countdown was my favorite, but that's when I got into them. Youthanasia was the last one I bought, but like Countdown better. Great stage presence

post #1871 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Since you have the Live Rust in Peace dvd, at the beginning when you first put the disc in. Where you have play, options, extras..... the last two pics that scroll are me and my buddy. We were on the rail at that show and they show us during every song of that video. Lol
We are the two shaved head white boys. Haha
carp and SmittyJS like this.
post #1872 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
IMHO, the new Megadeth record Dystopia is quite good. It captures that classic sound from the earlier albums (but not a rehash).
Nuance and Iron Maiden like this.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #1873 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thinniest "sound", yes. But the band sounded more cohesive and the rhythms much heavier than on the album. I think it has to do with how much Megadeth surprised me, because I was expecting them to be the least metal of the four. But songs like Holy Wars, were much better than the album version. They're the only band that actually gave me chills on that video. I knew some of their early songs from Rust and Peace Sells were brilliant, and I always knew Mustaine was a great songwriter, but they just never had the heaviness to excite me. But that heaviness came out live. It turned me on to watching some of their other live performances. So I bought their blu-ray "Rust In Peace" at the Hollywood Palladium and it was good too. Now I'll never be able to go back to their album versions. And I've always thought Chris Broderick was one of the better lead guitarists in metal.

Slayer is normally my favorite of those four - they're the heaviest and most evil-sounding - and I liked them 2nd best on the video. I like early Anthrax, but realistically only Spreading the Disease and Among the Living. I thought they did a good job. I'm not crazy about their singer. And Metallica, while sounding good on the vid hasn't done anything for me since the Black album. I think they did a good job playing their old songs. I guess I've heard those songs SO many times, they don't excite me any more.

You should check out the 2004 remastered version of Rust In Peace. Many remastered disks are crap but this one gives it a much fuller sound, I think you would really like it.

Smitty... if you lived closer I would make you come over and watch Through The Never.

The sound quality is sooooo much better than the big 4, or anything else I've heard from a metal band on any blu ray disk. To top it off it's in 2:35:1 so it fills my whole screen. When they play Orion at the end credits in front of an empty stadium sounds incredible. The sound is perfect.

And Justice for All doesn't suck either....

ambesolman likes this.
post #1874 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Since you have the Live Rust in Peace dvd, at the beginning when you first put the disc in. Where you have play, options, extras..... the last two pics that scroll are me and my buddy. We were on the rail at that show and they show us during every song of that video. Lol
We are the two shaved head white boys. Haha

Nice! I wish this was on Blu Ray.... DVD's look like crap on my screen.

I assume you are a big Maiden fan. You would have loved seeing Megadeth and Maiden together, one of the best shows I've seen in a very long time. I want Bruce's energy.... what a show they put on.
Iron Maiden likes this.
post #1875 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
IMHO, the new Megadeth record Dystopia is quite good. It captures that classic sound from the earlier albums (but not a rehash).
Firing it up now for the first time, thanks! Do you have a favorite song on the album?
post #1876 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Countdown was my favorite, but that's when I got into them. Youthanasia was the last one I bought, but like Countdown better. Great stage presence

I love Countdown too, but for me the difference between it and Rust in Peace was similar to the difference between the Black album and Justice. One is damn good and easily accessible and the other is a masterpiece and not nearly as accessible.
post #1877 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
Quote:
Firing it up now for the first time, thanks! Do you have a favorite song on the album?
So far two of my favorite tracks are The Threat is Real and Fatal Illusion.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #1878 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One of my favorite shows was the "Clash of the Titans" tour in '91 - Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax with Alice In Chains opening up. I was super happy to finally see Slayer again last year. I'm trying to talk the wife into getting me tickets for my birthday for Slayer/Testament (probably my two favorites) later this month. She said - didn't we just see them? I said, so what - it's Slayer!!!

Everyone needs to see Between the Buried & Me live. Their early albums are a little rough sounding (sound quality wise) for me. Parallax II and Coma Ecliptic are both awesome, but their live shows are incredible. Something about the vibe and energy takes them over the top for me. Of course, I get to see them where they originated so maybe they give a little more here. I live in a pretty good area for metal. I swear I've seen more bands in my 40's than I've seen in the rest of my life combined. Raleigh and Charlotte are a little over an hour away and both Greensboro and Winston Salem have decent venues for the smaller acts. Heck Gwar and Fear Factory played the same night - unfortunately one at each venue.
carp likes this.
post #1879 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Coincidentally my order of Rust in Peace on vinyl arrives Monday. The past week has been Megadeth heavy.
carp and postrokfan like this.
post #1880 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jamming this gem I scored today 😈👌

carp likes this.
post #1881 of 1962 Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
One of my favorite shows was the "Clash of the Titans" tour in '91 - Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax with Alice In Chains opening up. I was super happy to finally see Slayer again last year. I'm trying to talk the wife into getting me tickets for my birthday for Slayer/Testament (probably my two favorites) later this month. She said - didn't we just see them? I said, so what - it's Slayer!!!

Everyone needs to see Between the Buried & Me live. Their early albums are a little rough sounding (sound quality wise) for me. Parallax II and Coma Ecliptic are both awesome, but their live shows are incredible. Something about the vibe and energy takes them over the top for me. Of course, I get to see them where they originated so maybe they give a little more here. I live in a pretty good area for metal. I swear I've seen more bands in my 40's than I've seen in the rest of my life combined. Raleigh and Charlotte are a little over an hour away and both Greensboro and Winston Salem have decent venues for the smaller acts. Heck Gwar and Fear Factory played the same night - unfortunately one at each venue.
A friend @beastaudio lives in your area and he's been saying this for a long time - tons of great metal shows to choose from in your area of the country.
post #1882 of 1962 Old 02-07-2016, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
So what you do you guys think about Abbath leaving Immortal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-6BgsmYe4
Never been an Immortal fan really but "Mountains of Might" is great.

Recent find...stoner/sludge with black metal background from Finland.Weird,almost addicting

bombertodd likes this.

Last edited by PAVLITOS; 02-07-2016 at 12:07 AM.
post #1883 of 1962 Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 AM

BTW, Chris Broderick, formerly of Megadeth, has a new band called Act of Defiance. I picked it up several months ago. I never posted it because I was never crazy about the vocals - but since we're talking about Megadeth ...

post #1884 of 1962 Old 02-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nice! I wish this was on Blu Ray.... DVD's look like crap on my screen.

I assume you are a big Maiden fan. You would have loved seeing Megadeth and Maiden together, one of the best shows I've seen in a very long time. I want Bruce's energy.... what a show they put on.
??? It is on BlyRay. The picture quality is incredible! The sound....not that thrilled with. For starters, they cleaned it up too much. But it was also the last show where they played 30 straight days. His voice was toast. But like I said, the video quality is stunning.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.4i (mains)~Veritas V2.2i(Front Wides)~Veritas V2.0ic (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's/2 UXL-18's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
post #1885 of 1962 Old 02-07-2016, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
??? It is on BlyRay. The picture quality is incredible! The sound....not that thrilled with. For starters, they cleaned it up too much. But it was also the last show where they played 30 straight days. His voice was toast. But like I said, the video quality is stunning.
Oh, ok cool! Would you say it's only the vocals that are touched up or is it everything?
post #1886 of 1962 Old 02-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Vocals for sure. Don't think the rest was touched but who knows.
post #1887 of 1962 Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Bottom line, you need it for the video quality over your dvd. It's the best looking live concert Blu Ray I have and have maybe ever seen. Maybe because I was there against the rail dead center for all 3 bands. I'm 6'4" so it made for a great view. Lol
But seeing the video that clear and vivid, really takes me back. Love it.
carp likes this.
post #1888 of 1962 Old 02-09-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Got the Rust in Peace 180 gram today. Supposedly the remasters aren't that good vs the original release but it still sounds great on my lowly player. Jacket sticker says "audiophile quality" but I think that's for the kids and their Beats over iPhones that have no clue what "sounds good" really means.
post #1889 of 1962 Old 02-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The new Fleshgod Apocalypse album King is some good stuff.
Cryptic1911 likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1890 of 1962 Old 02-17-2016, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I posted this in my room thread but it deserves a double post:

I just got home from Black Sabbath. Incredible. I always knew that Toni Iommi was the man but seeing/hearing him live was.... a religious experience. No, Black Sabbath isn't my all time favorite but they are in my top 10 and if not for them NONE of the metal I love would exist. Toni was so tight and spot on with all his crunchy riffs, but also his guitar solos. It was like a guitar clinic. On top of that Geezer Butler was like Cliff Burton and Getty Lee rolled into one. I've seen Ozzy numerous times but he has never sounded this good.

Thank God for Black Sabbath. Seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page