The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 334Likes

Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I've seen Sabbath a bunch of times, and Iommi is always on point.
Rodrigues_Brazil likes this.

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two 18" Dayton PA460's + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2016, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 View Post
I've seen Sabbath a bunch of times, and Iommi is always on point.

If you had to pick one person most responsible for creating metal it would be tough to pick anyone but Iommi. Did you ever see BS with Dio? I would love to hear some of those songs live too.

The only thing missing was that they didn't play anything from 13. I might be the only one, but I think that album stands with anything they have ever put out. It's that good IMO.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:03 AM

Yeah, I can't think of anyone but Iommi as the one who influenced the genre to that level. There were others, but not as influential as him

I've seen BS with Dio once when they toured as Heaven & Hell.. It was an amazing show. Dio was a much much better vocalist obviously, and had some really great tunes, but I grew up listening to Ozzy and Sabbath, so I just have a soft spot for those albums. My brother and I used to share a room when I was a baby, and I would always hang on the side of the crib and dance when he was playing Sabbath. I started as a metalhead early! LOL

I've seen Ozzy solo, and Sabbath probably 10 times combined. We actually got to see the original lineup at Ozzfest 99, and we were able to score tickets for the main stage in the 2nd row. We were like 20 feet from the bands. That was one of the best shows I've ever gone to. Got to see Sabbath, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Godsmack, etc up close. Even got guitar picks from Iommi and Kerry King. Even the 2nd stage was great.. Slipknot, Fear Factory, and Static-X were on that one from what I remember

Old 02-19-2016, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I can't think of anyone but Iommi as the one who influenced the genre to that level. There were others, but not as influential as him

I've seen BS with Dio once when they toured as Heaven & Hell.. It was an amazing show. Dio was a much much better vocalist obviously, and had some really great tunes, but I grew up listening to Ozzy and Sabbath, so I just have a soft spot for those albums. My brother and I used to share a room when I was a baby, and I would always hang on the side of the crib and dance when he was playing Sabbath. I started as a metalhead early! LOL

I've seen Ozzy solo, and Sabbath probably 10 times combined. We actually got to see the original lineup at Ozzfest 99, and we were able to score tickets for the main stage in the 2nd row. We were like 20 feet from the bands. That was one of the best shows I've ever gone to. Got to see Sabbath, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Godsmack, etc up close. Even got guitar picks from Iommi and Kerry King. Even the 2nd stage was great.. Slipknot, Fear Factory, and Static-X were on that one from what I remember

Jamming to Black Sabbath in the crib!! My mother would have had a heart attack.... Yeah, you had no choice but to grow up loving metal.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I agree with the above comments. For the 13 tour, we went down to SoCal and saw them at the Hollywood Bowl. They had 4 days rest before that show so Ozzy's voice was incredible. Geezer and Iommi!!! Incredible. At that time and to this day, I had told everyone it was a religious experience.
Sad to see it come to an end. Will be seeing them later this year in September in Oakland. For the last time.
And I agree, 13 can sit with their best albums. It's that good.
carp likes this.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One & PS4
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas V2.3i (mains)~Veritas V2.4i (Front Wides)~Veritas V2.2i (center)
Energy Veritas V2.1 & CAT Tiburons(Surr)~Subs: 2 FTW-21's/2 UXL-18's~Fp10000q clone/2x4dsp
Old 02-19-2016, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
I went to Ozzfest '99 too, but the line up was different in Raleigh: Tool, Megadeth, Limp Bizkit, Ozzy, Coal Chamber, Soulfly...Zombie and Godsmack played together at Red Rocks in about '06(?) when I was living out there. Hell of a show and venue! \m/
Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 373
A couple tracks by a Turkish alt-metal/rocker named Seher Ahmetzade.

Her vids don't have many views, but I like these two tracks/videos quite a lot. The titles translate as "Higher" (Daha Yüksek) and "My Soul" (Ruhum). See what you think...

ADU
Old 02-20-2016, 08:35 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

OK. Here we go... Let's dive head first into some Turk-metal. Should be fun.

Spidacat likes this.

ADU
Old 02-20-2016, 08:35 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Old 02-20-2016, 08:38 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Long but good (imo). This starts loud btw, so watch the volume level after the last track.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 02-20-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:38 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

bombertodd likes this.

ADU
Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 74
SmittyJS likes this.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 14726
Progressive Alternative Metal?

GPBusa and ambesolman like this.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hmm, Mandragorae Scream (Poland) Darzamat Poland) Temperance (Italy) Draconian (Sweden) Tales Of Dark (Serbia) maybe my tastes just go towards to more unknown... I have NOTHING in common with anyone I know heh
Old 02-27-2016, 09:55 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post
Progressive Alternative Metal?

https://youtu.be/07pLGIgyfjw
Probably in the minority here, but I enjoy a little alt in my metal, or vice versa. Freaky vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikka View Post
hmm, Mandragorae Scream (Poland) Darzamat Poland) Temperance (Italy) Draconian (Sweden) Tales Of Dark (Serbia) maybe my tastes just go towards to more unknown... I have NOTHING in common with anyone I know heh
Thanks for these suggestions, Erikka. Will definitely check some of them out.

ADU
Old 02-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Waited too long and tickets sold out Saturday in Raleigh, but got my ticket Monday in Charlotte for Slayer/Testament/Carcass. Should be a heck of a show!
carp and bombertodd like this.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 163
(Melodic doom/death - female clean vocals (exceptional)/male death vocals)

This type of music is usually not my cup of tea, but when I run across something that's outside my realm but still piques my interest (pique hell, I bought it after the first listen) I figure it's worth sharing. If I smoked Colorado Stogies this is the kind of music I'd probably want to listen to. The music is atmospheric and very soothing - for metal. The female vocals are outstanding. The male death metal vocals are very sparse, so they don't interfere with the atmosphere.

carp likes this.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
(Melodic doom/death - female clean vocals (exceptional)/male death vocals)

This type of music is usually not my cup of tea, but when I run across something that's outside my realm but still piques my interest (pique hell, I bought it after the first listen) I figure it's worth sharing. If I smoked Colorado Stogies this is the kind of music I'd probably want to listen to. The music is atmospheric and very soothing - for metal. The female vocals are outstanding. The male death metal vocals are very sparse, so they don't interfere with the atmosphere.

End of Aeon - Through Infant Eyes

Good find Smitty. Listening to the whole album now, it's doing it for me.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:41 AM

Here's some absolutely crushing metal with probably the gnarliest growls ever from Jorgen Sandstrom (Entombed, Grave, Torture Divison , etc) , and clean female vocals from Jonna Enckell. They have a bunch of albums, but the best ones are with Jonna Enckell - the Amrageddon March Eternal, In Hora Mortis Nostrae, and The Lustrate Process albums. I don't care for the female vocals on the albums before or after those

|Tch0rT| likes this.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 77

Loving the new Amon Amarth. They keep on doing the same thing, but darned if I don't still love it! Why mess with a good thing?
carp likes this.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

(Very mellow melodic doom with sparse death metal vocals)

My End of Aeon find put me on a minor quest for other good melodic doom. I like the music of the following, although I'm not crazy about the vocals. Fortunately, the death metal vocals are probably only 5% of the album, there's a little splash of clean vocals and 90% is instrumental. God, I hope I'm not mellowing too much in my old age. Album is on free Spotify, or only $4.99 on Bandcamp.

|Tch0rT| likes this.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 127
That The Morningside album rules, their other albums are different. They're a weird band, they do like a different subgenre of metal for each album or something like that.

EDIT: "The Shadows of the Past" song from this album just came up on random while typing this reply LOL.

Quote:
Here's some absolutely crushing metal with probably the gnarliest growls ever from Jorgen Sandstrom (Entombed, Grave, Torture Divison , etc) , and clean female vocals from Jonna Enckell. They have a bunch of albums, but the best ones are with Jonna Enckell - the Amrageddon March Eternal, In Hora Mortis Nostrae, and The Lustrate Process albums. I don't care for the female vocals on the albums before or after those
Check out Ram-Zet since you like Project Hate.
Cryptic1911 likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 03-03-2016, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 63
When I was tiny, I won a spelling bee. The prize was an album donated by one of the kids, from his older brother. Bizarrely (literally!) it was Alice Cooper Love It To Death-and I did! Still love it to this day. That got me to try Rush and stuff. Then (also bizarrely but in a different way) I went to a garage sale down the street. The guy was a DJ at an easy listening-ish station, and was selling a stack of records. "How much?" "Ah, ten cents each." I bought the whole stack. Flipping through, one cover had three guys in leather and bandoliers...what the hell is THIS?!? It was Motorhead, Ace Of Spaces. 3 seconds in, I was a fan for life. Hooked up with a coworker at a summer job, he was a super metalhead, played me stuff like 220 Volt and most specially, Accept. The first blast of "Fast As A Shark" sold me, and I actually saw Accept as my first metal concert, at a totally insane show in a Mexican ballroom outside Chicago. Couldn't quite talk my parents into letting me take my little brother :-( Guess if I was little he was REALLY young but still, it would have been cool. Another big favorite first show was the mighty Iron Maiden "World Piece Tour" in Peoria: martial march music, followed by tons of flashing strobes, followed by the band blasting into "Where Eagles Dare" while Bruce Dickinson earned his "Air Raid Siren" nickname.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I've seen BS with Dio once when they toured as Heaven & Hell...
We actually got to see the original lineup at Ozzfest 99...
Yeah, Iommi is really a riffmaster, and all kinds of different ways not just fast fast fast like SOME players.

I too loved the Heaven and Hell show-Dio doing that not exactly soft intro to "After All (The Dead)," it was the very essence of metal power. Such a shock they didn't start off with a fast song! Then on like the third verse he suddenly kicked into a higher tempo and an even nastier voice. I was totally blown away.

I did get to see the original lineup-when Ozzy "Retired" and did his "Farewell" shows in Costa Mesa. My Marketing coworker and I pressured out ad agency about tickets. They coughed up like $600 per ticket to some scalpers and got us around row 20, right in front. WOW! YOWZA! Great show from Sabbath with Rob Halford, great show from Ozzy and his band, and then Sabbath reunited right in front of our eyes. I couldn't believe it. As for the ad agency...eh, we gave them a ton of business, they weren't hurting. I'd squeeze them again in a minute for that show!
Cryptic1911 likes this.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
That The Morningside album rules, their other albums are different. They're a weird band, they do like a different subgenre of metal for each album or something like that.
Yeah, I listened to their next two albums ... not quite the same. Not bad, but not like this one. And too much of those screechy vocals.

Over the years I kept trying to find the next early Trouble or Candlemass, but after repeatedly listening to weak guitars and bland songs, with somewhat acceptable exceptions like Atlantean Kodex's The White Goddess, I'd written off doom. Maybe that was hasty, however past experience makes me hesitant to waste a lot of time looking for the few gems.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maximum Distortion is a great community radio show on Wednesday nights from 10:30 PM to 1:00 AM MST that plays a variety of metal. They have started recording and posting the shows. You can follow them on Facebook . I've been listening for years and they always put together a great show and the two DJs crack me up.

Here is this week's show:

Episode #561 (3/2/16)
Maximum Distortion KRCL 90.9FM ~ Wednesday 10:30pm MT ~ also available as a live stream @ krcl.org, or the FREE iTunes app by searching "KRCL 90.9FM"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement