The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

post #2011 of 2039 Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Not sure if I posted this artist before.. I may have. I forgot all about them and this song and it popped up today while randoming through music.

Here is the second half of the song. 5:14 seconds of awesomness. It hit's on a lot of my soft spots - sad/somber tone, rythmic chugging riffs, beautiful melodies, etc. It builds up to a probably non-technical but perfect with the song guitar solo a little before 4:00. Sad that the lead singer died, this IMO is talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8yFMIC9qU

I know you heard this at one of the G2Gs cause I put it on the playlist and I have posted about them in the past

the band/ that album is amazing
carp and bombertodd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2039 Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
I was listening to their album before that one a couple of days ago, and it's great too.
post #2013 of 2039 Old 08-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 161
This is a whole album, but anyone of these tracks are pretty great. Slower tempo Melodic Death Metal that puts the melody at the forefront. Some songs have a clean female accompaniment.

SmittyJS likes this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2014 of 2039 Old 08-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Spidacat likes this.

post #2015 of 2039 Old 08-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
Just found this thread....awesome! I've only read the first page and the last page.

I am 39. I grew up near Seattle and was a young teen when the grunge era hit. I had always liked GNR, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin. I was into some metal at that age, but not a ton. Alice in Chains rocked my world then I found Tool (it was ~92 because I graduated in '93). To this day I still idolize Tool. Was really into Industrial for a long while and dug Ministry and many of their side projects. Got into Deftones for a while and a handful of other nu-metal acts unfortunately. I'm a huge Faith No More fan and like some of Patton's other stuff as well.

I consider myself a bit of a metal head but I am picky about what kind of metal I listen to and took a long while to warm up to cookie monster vocals. I don't really dig the satanism/death/**** social norm elements of a lot of metal, but often like the music.

I really dig Opeth, got into them from Porcupine Tree (not metal) and like everything from Still Life onward. Wish I could find more progressive metal like this that wasn't so focused on being "progressive" and more focused on being as beautiful.

I like In Flames, Lamb of God and a tiny bit of Children of Bodom. Together with Opeth that is some of the more brutal vocals I can deal with.

I recently saw Periphery live. They were opened by Thank You Scientists (awesome, not metal), Wovenwar (not my thing), Nothing More (fun to watch).

I like Dream Theater some, but honestly think that James LeBrie is the weak link in that band.
Recently found Anciients and dig their new album.
I like Agalloch in small doses.
Katatonia is awesome but not really metal per se.
Aghora - Formless is quite good
Cynic - Traced in Air is ok IMo
I can't get into Messugah
Karnivool is good, not quite metal
Riverside is good
Soen is a fun Tool-like band
I know it is weird to quote yourself, but I had a side splitting laugh when I saw the time stamp and look at what I'm listening to these days, pretty much every good Progressive, Melodic Death Metal, ambient black, some technical death, lots of the better old school death metal, cattle decapitation even. Once I warmed up to growly/harsh/guttural/screeching vocals I found a whole world of amazing metal that is beyond musical.

Listening to Wolfheart right now. Good MDM by Tuomas Saukkonen (everything he touches has been gold).

post #2016 of 2039 Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Hmmm, if you like the death metal version of Opeth and can tolerate a mild cookie monster, you might like this.

Edge of Sanity's Crimson
I don't know if I saw from your post, but I absolutely love that album, it is mind blowing, especially considering the date.

post #2017 of 2039 Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Once I warmed up to growly/harsh/guttural/screeching vocals I found a whole world of amazing metal that is beyond musical.
Yep. It's a progression. First it's the vocals, and then the speed. However, I will never like the dissonance many younger death-metallers seem to prefer. To me, music is not meant to be dissonant. Defeats the whole point of rhythm and melody.

Probably the most extreme I listen to now is something like below, which is also the song I use to see if a speaker can handle extreme metal. And maybe a few Infant Annihilator songs, which I won't post here due to the wildly inappropriate lyrics .
post #2018 of 2039 Old 08-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Black Sun Aeon - Routa (another Toumas Saukkonen band)
carp likes this.

post #2019 of 2039 Old 08-10-2016, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 417
not really a metal head , but just been given weekend VIP TICKETS to this ..

Diamond Head and Twisted Sister are no the too see list , any other recommendations ?

cheers
post #2020 of 2039 Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I'm a big fan of both Mastodon and especially Gojira. Those are not to miss. Symphony X is pretty good, saw them live once.

Both Behemoth and Satryicon are black metal and do the painted corpse thing (not really my style), think Venom is like that too, at least it is black metal. Slayer should be a good show and I think Fear Factory would be cool to see even though I'm not really into them.
Signs likes this.

post #2021 of 2039 Old 08-15-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is a whole album, but anyone of these tracks are pretty great. Slower tempo Melodic Death Metal that puts the melody at the forefront. Some songs have a clean female accompaniment.

https://youtu.be/YNHIjeBhqC4

Reminds me of Omnimum Gatherum but with female vocals. Good stuff!!
post #2022 of 2039 Old 08-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Reminds me of Omnimum Gatherum but with female vocals. Good stuff!!
Yeah, to me it sounds a lot like something from Tuomas Saukkonen.

post #2023 of 2039 Old 08-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

New Metallica.
Due out in November.
I haven't really liked them since The Black album, but this isn't bad. Not that I'm adverse to letting a few four-letter words fly in traffic, but there's something sad about mid-50's guys in a "non-evil" band spouting profanity in songs. Makes it seem like they're trying to be 20 again.

post #2024 of 2039 Old 08-19-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I have found that Metallica's Blu-ray -Through The Never- to be the most dynamically recorded music I have heard to this day. It has an incredible slam to it. Are there any other discs of any kind that have comparable dynamics to it.
post #2025 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
New Metallica.
Due out in November.
I haven't really liked them since The Black album, but this isn't bad. Not that I'm adverse to letting a few four-letter words fly in traffic, but there's something sad about mid-50's guys in a "non-evil" band spouting profanity in songs. Makes it seem like they're trying to be 20 again.

Metallica Hardwired ... To Self-Destruct

I agree, not bad. Hetfield still has that crazy fast pick hand, but he showed that on the last album too on a couple of songs so not too surprising.

I was cringing hearing the cuss words. Like you it's not that I'm offended it just sounds forced and out of place. I like Death Magnetic quite a bit (the non clipping version that is) so I won't be surprised if I like the new stuff too. I just have to keep my expectations in check, it's not like any album they do could compete with my favorites.
post #2026 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I have found that Metallica's Blu-ray -Through The Never- to be the most dynamically recorded music I have heard to this day. It has an incredible slam to it. Are there any other discs of any kind that have comparable dynamics to it.
Love that disk. I have some other favorite concert blu ray's but not sure if any of them have the same kind of dynamics.
post #2027 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Love that disk. I have some other favorite concert blu ray's but not sure if any of them have the same kind of dynamics.
Hey Carp,

I knew that if there was one to compare, you would probably know about it. Surely, Through the Never can't be the only disc that exists at that level of realism.
post #2028 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 75
New Harakiri For The Sky album is great!

AudioJosh likes this.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
post #2029 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Carp,

I knew that if there was one to compare, you would probably know about it. Surely, Through the Never can't be the only disc that exists at that level of realism.

You may not have the same taste as me, so this may be a bad recommendation for you. It's called Black Symphony by Within Temptation. It's a syphonic metal band with a female lead singer. This show they have a full orchestra playing with them and it sounds fantastic. It's not as dynamic as the Metallica disk but it just does it for me. It's weird though, I don't really get into the studio albums by Within Temptation. The sound is just so much better on the blu ray concert. Check out some of the clips on youtube. It won't have anywhere close to the sound quality of the actual blu ray but will give you an idea if you would like the style of music.

Also, the blu ray Roger Waters The Wall has amazing sound. Like Through the Never it's in 2:35:1 which is amazing if you have a screen with that aspect ratio. It's also in Dolby Atmos. I don't have ceiling speakers an Atmos AVR yet but damn it sounds good. I skip through the non concert parts. Comfortably numb gives me goosebumps so bad that it's almost painful.

Woah. Currently listening/watching this while surfing the forum. I have to see if there is a blu ray of this. I've always loved Devin Townsend.

post #2030 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #2031 of 2039 Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Just listened to the Devin Townsend vid. I dug it. Yeah, I do have a 2:35 Screen and the video quality of the Metallica blu-ray is also first rate.
post #2032 of 2039 Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will tell you one thing ... stay far away from Rush's R40 blu-ray. R30 is probably my favorite blu-ray concert, but R40 sounds like total crap. So much so I sold it after one play.
post #2033 of 2039 Old 08-22-2016, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will tell you one thing ... stay far away from Rush's R40 blu-ray. R30 is probably my favorite blu-ray concert, but R40 sounds like total crap. So much so I sold it after one play.
Thanks for the heads up, I planned on buying it eventually. Your are right about R30, I love that one too.
post #2034 of 2039 Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 937
I tried to play the R40 blu ray right after Through the Never....needless to say it was quickly removed and has not been back in the blu ray player since. Sounded terrible.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
post #2035 of 2039 Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know how you guys feel about Porcupine tree, but the Blu-ray of Anesthetize has great dynamics as well. Though, not at the level of Metallica's disc.

AudioJosh likes this.
post #2036 of 2039 Old 08-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Now I am going to have to pick up that through the never blu-ray. I like to collect blu-rays of good concerts, especially metal.

post #2037 of 2039 Old 08-23-2016, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Josh, I really don't think we can hype of Through the Never too much, it really is that good. You may or may not like the movie parts, but that doesn't matter the concert parts are incredible.
AudioJosh and shivaji like this.
post #2038 of 2039 Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know how you guys feel about Porcupine tree, but the Blu-ray of Anesthetize has great dynamics as well. Though, not at the level of Metallica's disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuj9XjwArAk
I bought the In Absentia 5.1 dvd audio many years ago, it's outstanding. I also like Steven Wilson's contributions on Opeth's Blackwater Park. I may have to pick up their Blu-Ray.
AudioJosh likes this.
post #2039 of 2039 Old Today, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I have both Anesthetize and Arriving Somewhere, Not Here by PT, as well as Steven Wilson's Get All You Deserve, all of which are excellent.

Today I've been listening to In Mourning's discography. Quite excellent IMO.

Might I suggest starting with the second track off:

My girlfriend sent me this one last night. Its pretty damn cool stoner metal of sorts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page