post #181 of 1295 Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks Ratm, love Arch Enemy!!! The first vid I hadn't heard of that band. The chick from Otep has always scared me.... in a good way. Some of their political stuff makes me laugh - not that I would say here if I agree or disagree that's not the point, it just always seems silly to me when bands go political. Oh, yes Dave Mustaine, tell me more - you have the world all figured out oh wise one, haha. Not that I don't love old Megadeth, don't get me wrong here people.

Nuance, you inspired me to "dust off" the Reroute to Remain album, currently listening from start to finish. I really like In Flames up to an including that album, I know some of their fans consider that their sellout album and I know it's a change but I have always liked it a lot. I did lose interest after that album, the stuff I've heard hasn't done it for me.

I've followed Straight Line Stitch for a while. Here's one with Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed singing along...

And I Totally agree with you about a band's perceived political statements or positions. I am a huge Rage Against The Machine fan, hence my name, but sometimes I wish they would just stfu and play.

btw, saw Rage and Wu Tang Clan in 96. Still one of the best shows I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1295 Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Nuance, you inspired me to "dust off" the Reroute to Remain album, currently listening from start to finish. I really like In Flames up to an including that album, I know some of their fans consider that their sellout album and I know it's a change but I have always liked it a lot. I did lose interest after that album, the stuff I've heard hasn't done it for me.

I am with you buddy. I really do like R2R, but after that they're all floating turds in my opinion. I saw them live a couple times after Come Clarity and they played nothing but newer songs, so I stopped going to their shows. Bummer...

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #183 of 1295 Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I am with you buddy. I really do like R2R, but after that they're all floating turds in my opinion. I saw them live a couple times after Come Clarity and they played nothing but newer songs, so I stopped going to their shows. Bummer...

Wow, nothing but newer songs. All their really great stuff was done in the 90's. Man, I love the album Whoracle. Oh well.
post #184 of 1295 Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ratm, I never got into "metalcore" or "hardcore" not sure exactly what it's called, but have always respected Hatebreed even though it's not my thing. I think Jasta's vocals always sound powerful and good and I like the fact that he writes positive lyrics, kind of a nice change to everything else.
post #185 of 1295 Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ratm, I never got into "metalcore" or "hardcore" not sure exactly what it's called, but have always respected Hatebreed even though it's not my thing. I think Jasta's vocals always sound powerful and good and I like the fact that he writes positive lyrics, kind of a nice change to everything else.

Great point about their Lyrics. Its one of the reasons I like August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying, positive lyrics with a sometimes Christian undertone...
post #186 of 1295 Old 02-20-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Metal song of the day: Detonation by Trivium off "Crusade." "Crusade" is their most talented work in my opinion.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #187 of 1295 Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Metal song of the day: Detonation by Trivium off "Crusade." "Crusade" is their most talented work in my opinion.

completely agree.
post #188 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Listened to Maidens Number of the Beast on the way into work. One of my all time favs.
jwebb1970 likes this.
post #189 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Listening to it now - nice. I've always liked Trivium "from afar". I only bought the Shogun album, never got completely into it but didn't dislike it either.

I saw them in Lawrence Kansas back in 2004, they were supporting Iced Earth. I hadn't heard of them but they weren't to bad, the singer liked to do the keep the head still and move the eyeballs around while he sang. He was over the top in between songs yelling at the audience to get crazier, it's like dude, there are maybe 50 people in the whole place!!

I think he comes the closest to anyone I've heard to sounding like 80's Hetfield. I'm not saying he sounds just like him, but he's one of the few that can "yell on key". He's more like Hetfield Jr., and he didn't sound near as good live as on the albums. BTW that must be hard to do, IMO only Hetfield pulled it off perfectly. It seems most metal singers either sing, yell, scream, or growl. Het yelled but the yelling hit actual notes and carried a tune. Ok, getting sidetracked on old Metallica... back to the point.

That concert with Iced Earth is still my all time favorite concert experience. The sound quality in the small arena (The Grenada) is outstanding, and it was so cool to be able to sit at a table with my wife, drink beer, and hear some incredible music.

3 bands played that night, the first band was called Beyond the Embrace. WOW - I was amazed at how talented they were. They had 3 guitarists and you could pick out what all 3 were playing, very intricate sounding. The band doesn't exist anymore I don't think, but the day after the concert I bought the album called Insect Song. It has a very unique sound IMO and I've listened to it every now and then since 2004. Check out the song My Fall from them. They sounded so much better live, the production just isn't there on the album but I still like it. I liked them live so much that I used to check and see if they put out anything new, but they are long gone I think.

Trivium was next and sounded good - but not nearly as good as Beyond the Embrace.

Finally Iced Earth came out with Tim Owens who had just taken over for Matt Barlow on vocals. HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I never knew a band could sound this good live. AMAZING. John Schaffer's rhythm guitar was so razor sharp and spot on, and he does a lot of fast 80's style Hetfield guitar. So damn good man, I'll never forget it. I was up and going nuts/headbanging with every riff their entire set. Tim Owens sang so high and so effortless and is pitch perfect, at least he was that night. The only other singer I've heard that was pitch perfect was Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. This was just as impressive if not more because of how high of notes he was hitting. I don't really care much about singers hitting crazy high notes, but it was so impressive to see it live. He didn't even look like he was trying hard either, no faces on the high notes, it just came out of him like nothing.

My wife is a good sport since she doesn't like metal (although she does like Metallica - she was force fed it plenty back in the mid 90's when we first started going out). She doesn't hate it, but she's a girly girl and doesn't care about that kind of thing. Well, anyway, she was very impressed by how good Iced Earth sounded.

The volume was perfect. Crazy loud but no distortion - didn't hurt the ears at all. I could go on and on, but man that was the perfect concert.

Here is a trio of Iced Earth songs as recommendations, all very different.

1. Travel in Stygian from the live album called Alive in Athens. I usually don't like live albums, but this one is the best sounding live album I've ever heard. You will not believe how fast the riffs are in the middle section starting at 4:18 - believe me, he can play that fast I heard it myself that night in Lawrence. Do me a favor guys, even if you hate Iced Earth check this one out, especially the 4:18 mark. cool.gif

2. Dark Saga from the album Dark Saga. If you like that, check out the album closer my all time favorite Iced Earth song - A Question of Heaven.

3. Burnt Offerings from the album Burnt Offerings. Nice crunchy brutal guitars, very dark tone from my favorite Iced Earth album. If you have the patience check out the album closer Dante's Inferno. 17 minutes of awesomeness.

Thanks for the Trivium recommendation Nuance, reminded me of a great time I had at that concert. Most metal concerts the sound quality is anywhere from acceptability to complete incoherent mushiness. That band was so different - I don't know if it was the acoustics of the place (although I've seen other metal bands there that didn't sound anywhere close to as good) or the fact that so few people were there or what bug man it was incredible.

They sounded just like the live album Alive in Athens but of course cranked way louder and a different lead singer.

Ok, enough rambling. I'm home on a snow day killing time. smile.gif
post #190 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here you go. Looks like it's over dubbed some, but I'm telling you this is what they sounded like that night live, just a different singer.

If you don't have any patience go to 4:30 on. So good.

post #191 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Iced Earth is one of my favorites for sure, although their production quality on their recent albums is awful. I much preferred Matt Barlow, but Owens can sure "rip." It's funny you mention that tour, because I went to the show during that tour as well, and it was also the first time I heard Beyond the Embrace. I bought their current album on the spot, and I picked up a second one later on (which wasn't as good). It's so cool that we were both at the show on that tour! smile.gif

My favorite Iced Earth album by far is the Live in Athens 3 disc performance. WOW - just WOW!

Metal song of the day: Engraved Within by Serenity off "Worlds Untold and Dreams Unlived."

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #192 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't been able to get into any of Iced Earth's albums after the first one with Ripper. In fact I wasn't crazy about most of that album, but I thought the Gettysburg trilogy was amazing - maybe even better than the Something Wicked trilogy.

Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings are so good and Dark Saga and Something Wicked aren't far behind.

Cool, I'm listening to Beyond the Embrace's first album right now, haha, I actually remember them playing Bastard Screams (he announced the song title before they played it) live for some reason that song title stuck in my head. IMO they didn't capture what they are capable of as a live band. Ooohhh I'm digging the 2nd song Morning in Magenta though.
post #193 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Listened to Maidens Number of the Beast on the way into work. One of my all time favs.

All time classic. Does it get much better than Hallowed be thy Name? Nope. \m/ \m/
post #194 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ Iced Earth is one of my favorites for sure, although their production quality on their recent albums is awful. I much preferred Matt Barlow, but Owens can sure "rip." It's funny you mention that tour, because I went to the show during that tour as well, and it was also the first time I heard Beyond the Embrace. I bought their current album on the spot, and I picked up a second one later on (which wasn't as good). It's so cool that we were both at the show on that tour! smile.gif

My favorite Iced Earth album by far is the Live in Athens 3 disc performance. WOW - just WOW!

Metal song of the day: Engraved Within by Serenity off "Worlds Untold and Dreams Unlived."

Damn, spotify doesn't have the Worlds Untold and Dreams Unlived album.
post #195 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Throw me another one Nuance, and while your at it check out the song Firesoul from the band Mercenary. That album is called 11 Dreams and it's all excellent, I had a hard time picking which song.
post #196 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All time classic. Does it get much better than Hallowed be thy Name? Nope. \m/ \m/

^This! Best Maiden song ever...and they have PLENTY of amazing ones. smile.gif
Quote:

Throw me another one Nuance, and while your at it check out the song Firesoul from the band Mercenary. That album is called 11 Dreams and it's all excellent, I had a hard time picking which song.

How about An Ocean Between Us by As I Lay Dying off "An Ocean Between Us."

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #197 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Their most recent tour (Maiden England 2012) may have been the first time in my history of seeing IM live that they did not play Hallowed. Then again, some of the tunes they DID play kinda made up for it.

For me, one of my fave metal records of the last decade would have to be Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death. Shows the band can both hold on to what once made it great as well as grow artistically in the most rockin' of ways.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #198 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yeah, I like As I lay Dying. I bought their first album and saw the video for the above song and really liked it but for some reason I never bought the album. I'm going to have to check out the whole album.
post #199 of 1295 Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

Their most recent tour (Maiden England 2012) may have been the first time in my history of seeing IM live that they did not play Hallowed. Then again, some of the tunes they DID play kinda made up for it.

For me, one of my fave metal records of the last decade would have to be Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death. Shows the band can both hold on to what once made it great as well as grow artistically in the most rockin' of ways.

I do like that album quite a bit, but my favorite "new" Maiden album is Brave New World. Dance of Death wasn't bad but I hate the production on that album, it just sounds dead.

Have you guys heard the songs "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" live on the Rock in Rio album with Bruce singing them? LOVE those songs. I bought the DVD back when it came out and was floored by how good the band sounds and by those 2 songs I never heard before since they were recorded with Bailey instead of Dickinson.

Speaking of Bruce, if you guys don't have the album The Chemical Wedding, one of his solo albums you have to get it immediately. It took awhile to grow on me but it is on of my all time favorites now. I love how they tie in the self titled song at the last section of the last song called The Alchemist. His best solo song is called Tears of the Dragon, and it's not on that album but it is such a great song.
post #200 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I lay Dying are awesome. Always like them. I was crushing this by Meshuggah this morning on the way to work this AM

Which got me thinking, I wonder how hard it is to play the bass drum line (for which I have no skills at all). So I found a cover and my no skills were confirmed.
post #201 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Just watched that clip of Floor singing Ghost love Score (and a few others) good damn she is the perfect replacement for Tarja. I liked the first album with anette but this is an amazing improvement. I very much enjoe After forever as well.
post #202 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have yet to really get into Meshuggah, their talent is undeniable that's for sure.

Sibuna, yeah I really liked the song The Poet and the Pendulum, one of my all time favorite nightwish songs.

Here you go guys, just in case anyone hasn't heard Tears of the Dragon - great tune.

Ha, I never knew there was a video. You are probably better off just going to spotify, the audio quality is bad and the video is pretty bad too. biggrin.gif
post #203 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I do like that album quite a bit, but my favorite "new" Maiden album is Brave New World. Dance of Death wasn't bad but I hate the production on that album, it just sounds dead.

Have you guys heard the songs "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" live on the Rock in Rio album with Bruce singing them? LOVE those songs. I bought the DVD back when it came out and was floored by how good the band sounds and by those 2 songs I never heard before since they were recorded with Bailey instead of Dickinson.

Speaking of Bruce, if you guys don't have the album The Chemical Wedding, one of his solo albums you have to get it immediately. It took awhile to grow on me but it is on of my all time favorites now. I love how they tie in the self titled song at the last section of the last song called The Alchemist. His best solo song is called Tears of the Dragon, and it's not on that album but it is such a great song.

Yeah, I'd put Brave New World 2nd to AMOLAD among the newer Maiden stuff. But I have enjoyed all their post-2000 material so far. What did you think of The Final Frontier? The Talisman & Starblind rank among some of my fave IM tracks ever, actually.

Since he tends to not get the same level of love from some fans like Dave & Adrian, I always give a shout out when possible to Janick Gers. I don't mind his stage acrobatics & love his sloppy Yngwie licks. Since both Smith & Murray have signature guitars out there, I dubbed my hot rodded 50s reissue Strat my "Janick Gers" signature Fender wink.gif

And as much as I cannot handle hearing Bayley singing w/ IM, they did manage to write a few good tunes during that era - and having Bruce sing them certainly does work.

Tears is a great tune off of what was not (IMO) Bruce's best solo album. As his stuff got less pop metal-y, he (and Roy Z) hit their stride. And having Adrian Smith pop up eventually didn't hurt either. I generally recommend Chemical Wedding or Accident of Birth as my fave solo albums. I firmly believe that once Maiden finally packs it in for good, it will not be the last time we hear from Bruce Dickinson.

Off the Maiden talk..I mentioned Swedish band Graveyard here a while back. Saw these guys last weekend in SF and was damned impressed. Great bluesy rock with sludgy Sabbath-y tones that draws no inspiration from anything later than 1979.

Here's their video for the track Goliath off their most recent release Lights Out. Scandanavians make silly videos. Great tune, though.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #204 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Did you ever hear the DVD-Audio version of Dance of Death? I have it, and the surround mix is much improved over other formats. (Haven't heard the high-res stereo track, but it should be about as good as the surround version.)

Thinking of which, an expanded DVD of the original Maiden England video is coming out next month, although I've only seen a confirmation for March 25th in the UK so far. I used to own the VHS of that back in the day, and played the hell out of it because of the memories it gave me of the Seventh Son tour. That tour marked my very first Maiden show ever, and I saw them on the tour last year when they came to the Boston area, bringing back some good times I had on the previous tour. I'm getting that set whenever it comes out here.

As much as I love classic Maiden, I'm also very much into anything recent. My one problem is that I don't get to see them so much when they tour for the newer stuff, since they don't usually come anywhere near where I live. The last tour of new material that came this way was the AMOLAD tour of 2006, when I saw them at the Agganis Arena at Boston University. I think anyone who can see them do the new stuff when it comes out, is most fortunate to see the band proving that they can still kick it, like they do with the older stuff. I envy all those who get to see what I cannot.

post #205 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Somewhere In Time is my favorite Maiden album. I think I'm going to rock it on the drive home from work today. \m/

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #206 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker View Post

Did you ever hear the DVD-Audio version of Dance of Death? I have it, and the surround mix is much improved over other formats. (Haven't heard the high-res stereo track, but it should be about as good as the surround version.)

Thinking of which, an expanded DVD of the original Maiden England video is coming out next month, although I've only seen a confirmation for March 25th in the UK so far. I used to own the VHS of that back in the day, and played the hell out of it because of the memories it gave me of the Seventh Son tour. That tour marked my very first Maiden show ever, and I saw them on the tour last year when they came to the Boston area, bringing back some good times I had on the previous tour. I'm getting that set whenever it comes out here.

As much as I love classic Maiden, I'm also very much into anything recent. My one problem is that I don't get to see them so much when they tour for the newer stuff, since they don't usually come anywhere near where I live. The last tour of new material that came this way was the AMOLAD tour of 2006, when I saw them at the Agganis Arena at Boston University. I think anyone who can see them do the new stuff when it comes out, is most fortunate to see the band proving that they can still kick it, like they do with the older stuff. I envy all those who get to see what I cannot.

Yeah, I have that and have a dvd audio player so I've heard the high resolution. It's better, the main reason I bought it was because I really liked the songs on the album but the production drove me nuts. I still think the dvd audio has that dead sound, but I haven't played it since I had Axioms which was 4 sets of speakers ago..... guess I should try it again, huh? smile.gif

Maiden hardly ever tours the midwest because rock radio refuses to play them for some weird reason. I have NEVER heard a Maiden song on our local rock radio station which has been around since 92 ish. I don't get it... they play tons of Metallica, Priest, ACDC, Megadeth, etc. along with the newer god awful rock bands but no Maiden ever, not even Run to the Hills. I would like to know why it's always bugged me.
post #207 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All right, so here's a spin-off. Best metal drummers? I won't even ask about best metal/rock guitarists, because John Petrucci and Joe Satriani will already win.biggrin.gif So yeah - best drummers: Go!

Mike Portnoy:
Marco Minnemann:
Dave Lombardo:
Mike Mangini:
Thomas Lang:

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #208 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool, thanks Brandon best post of the thread so far IMO.

I don't know enough to say who the best is, buy my favorite drummer is Dave Lombardo. I really love Portnoy too, hell all these guys were great the last guy was incredible the stuff he was doing.

I'm not a huge fan of Nile, although I do have one of their albums and like it. This guy - drummer for Nile - has to be one of the fastest double bass drummers I've seen.

If you are impatient watch from 2:30 to 3:30 he starts with one foot which is impressive enough, but when he goes to 2 feet, wow.
post #209 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Wow - dude blasts with one foot? That's just amazing at those speeds!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #210 of 1295 Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool, thanks Brandon best post of the thread so far IMO.

I don't know enough to say who the best is, buy my favorite drummer is Dave Lombardo. I really love Portnoy too, hell all these guys were great the last guy was incredible the stuff he was doing.

I'm not a huge fan of Nile, although I do have one of their albums and like it. This guy - drummer for Nile - has to be one of the fastest double bass drummers I've seen.

If you are impatient watch from 2:30 to 3:30 he starts with one foot which is impressive enough, but when he goes to 2 feet, wow.

holy crap. That's just stoopid good. Always liked Chris Adler

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page