The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #2071 of 2480 Old 10-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 426
OK, back to my preferred quest ... looking for stuff as brutally heavy as possible. This one sounds like a cross between Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2480 Old 10-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

(Progressive metal)

Impress your friends with some audiophile-approved (shows off your speakers) progressive metal
Kind of Emerson, Lake and Palmer mixed with Dream Theater.

The song Chameleon Carneval is awesome, but the following song is more of an example of the majority of the album.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 10-10-2016 at 04:44 PM.
post #2073 of 2480 Old 10-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

(Straightforward heavy metal)

Not usually my thing, but you know what? It's catchy and professional. So are their previous albums.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 10-21-2016 at 11:21 AM.

post #2074 of 2480 Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 257
So my segue into harder and more extreme metal came from the progressive metal side and followed on by melodic death, then into tech death. I hadn't followed much in the way of thrash since the early nineties. Recently came upon bands like Vektor and Havok and I must say, there is some good stuff here! Especially Vektor.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2075 of 2480 Old 10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I hadn't followed much in the way of thrash since the early nineties.
You're not missing much. Whereas old thrash varied it up, most modern thrash is based on a monotonous galloping rhythm, and if a band isn't super tight it just doesn't sound inspiring. There is some good stuff, but it's few and far between. Over the years, I've posted most of what I've thought worthwhile, with Warfect's Exoneration Denied being far and away my favorite modern thrash album.

Vektor is more progressive/technical thrash. I've heard almost no great modern technical thrash. In that genre, Violent Omen's Lunatic's Revenge is pretty good. Coroner's Mental Vortex is still my favorite in that genre. Sylosis' Conclusion of an Age is great progressive thrash. There's a few decent death/thrash albums, like Feared's Furor Incarnatus, The Black Stymphalian's Khaos Sigma, Revocation's self-titled and Flayed Disciple's Death Hammer. There are a few pure thrash albums that are saved from their monotony by being unbelievably tight, like Gama Bomb's Citizen Brain and Besieged's Victims Beyond All Help. Angelus Apatrida's The Call is very good and not monotonous. Some fun newer old school thrash is The No-Mads' Lost Control and Angel of Sodom's Divine Retribution. Machine Head's The Blackening is very catchy thrash/groove.
post #2076 of 2480 Old 10-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

So I take it you don't like Vektor? I thought Havok's Out of Time was pretty fun, but not really innovative in any way.

post #2077 of 2480 Old 10-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I take it you don't like Vektor? I thought Havok's Out of Time was pretty fun, but not really innovative in any way.
They're OK. I own Vektor's Black Future. A little thin-sounding. I gravitate toward some meat on the bones. Thicker guitars and bass. I like a little of the Tom Warrior "Uh!!!" in my thrash.

Havok's not bad. I had that album in the shopping cart for the longest time before deciding not to pull the trigger.
post #2078 of 2480 Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

I respect your style, but I think we have quite different tastes.

Currently I am listening to some good MDM/Doom/maybe progressive...

post #2079 of 2480 Old 10-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Earlier, i was listening to Bloodshot Dawn's new one Demons.

https://bloodshotdawn.bandcamp.com/album/demons

post #2080 of 2480 Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Earlier, i was listening to Bloodshot Dawn's new one Demons.
I bought Bloodshot Dawn's first album when it came out. I'm not a huge melodeath fan, but I like that one a lot. Their lead guitarist is very good.
post #2081 of 2480 Old 10-28-2016, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I just listened to the studio version of that song. Not bad.... but kind of like the first song they released it just doesn't have "it". It's like they are afraid to go full on metal. Yes there are some nice rhythm guitars from James but they don't let the thrashy/crunchy sounding riffs loose, they keep them buried.

God forbid they allow the riffs to carry the melody of the songs like they did on the first four albums.
Carp, you'll find this interesting. Someone did their interpretation of what this song would sound like if it were on AJFA. And they're right. It would be far different.

Another guy took that as a basis and added vocals ...

Hearing how good it could have been makes the new album even more of a disappointment.

Another new snippet from Hardwired ...
https://metallica.com/atlasrise

Last edited by SmittyJS; 10-28-2016 at 07:01 AM.
post #2082 of 2480 Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

More pop-metal. What can I say? I must be going through a phase. Project band created to highlight the vocals.

post #2083 of 2480 Old 10-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Well SmittyJS, while I respect your tastes, they are quite different than mine in metal. How about something we both may like?

post #2084 of 2480 Old 10-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well SmittyJS, while I respect your tastes, they are quite different than mine in metal. How about something we both may like?
Actually, I don't like Fleshgod Apocalypse . I wrote them off after I listened to one album. I'm usually not into hyper-speed death because it tends to leave a hook before you can get into it. It's generally too hectic and dissonant. But this song isn't bad. It stays with a rhythm for a while. I'll have to listen to this album.

Some other high-speed death that hooks me is Hideous Divinty, Daemon Foetal Harvest and Man Must Die.

Don't worry about what I like. You can't please everyone. I think our tastes overlap enough in doom or doominess that you might suggest one in that genre that I haven't heard or vice versa. While my tastes are wildly varied, my greatest joy comes from finding mid-paced songs/albums that simply bludgeon me, like Cannibal Corpse's Evisceration Plague or Bloodbath's Eaten. Nothing ever made has been heavy enough for me.
post #2085 of 2480 Old 11-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

More new Metallica. I don't even know what to say about this ... uninspiring ... monotonous ... barely even metal ...?

post #2086 of 2480 Old 11-01-2016, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Liked: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Carp, you'll find this interesting. Someone did their interpretation of what this song would sound like if it were on AJFA. And they're right. It would be far different.

If Moth Into Flame was on AJFA

Another guy took that as a basis and added vocals ...

If Moth Into Flame was on AJFA ... with vocals

Hearing how good it could have been makes the new album even more of a disappointment.

Another new snippet from Hardwired ...
https://metallica.com/atlasrise

Oh god.... now that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm only 30 seconds into the first clip and I'm pissed. How much better would that have been....

Ok, back to listening to the rest of it while I slowly shake my head in disgust.
post #2087 of 2480 Old 11-01-2016, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I mean it's not like Hetfield isn't playing everything I'm hearing now, it's just buried. Such a shame, I'm really digging this. No wanky sounding Kirk guitar either. I do like James vocals better in the Met version, but if he had the same gruff delivery of this guy it would be perfect.

Dammit... this could have been the 10th best song on AJFA, and I mean that as a compliment.

Post 1989 this band is the biggest waste of talent in the history of metal. James is a riff machine, one of the all time best in that department - but he neutered himself when he decided metal wasn't cool anymore.
post #2088 of 2480 Old 11-01-2016, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
More new Metallica. I don't even know what to say about this ... uninspiring ... monotonous ... barely even metal ...?

Metallica - Atlas, Arise

I didn't have the same reaction as you on this one. To me it's ok like the first two (a step down from Moth), but could have been really good if they played it with metal guitars.

If someone else Justices up the guitar on the entire new album when it comes out with Hetfield's voice dubbed in over the top, I think I'll be into it.
post #2089 of 2480 Old 11-02-2016, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I mean it's not like Hetfield isn't playing everything I'm hearing now, it's just buried.
He may as well be playing a Fender Telecaster. He needs to go back to the Mesa Boogie Rectifiers and crank that distortion back up.

Unfortunately, the new Testament album is not all that interesting either. I guess, age catches up to us all.
post #2090 of 2480 Old 11-02-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Panteras Vulgar Display of Power is always my go-to when in the mood for headbanging

Sepultura is another fave.
ambesolman likes this.
post #2091 of 2480 Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

TBH, I think Metallica hasn't really been relevant since AJFA in the metal community....yeah they breathe some gasps of air with The Black album and Death Magnetic but still they were long upsurpt. Lamb of God probably took over for Pantera who took over for Metallica and Megadeth here and there in terms of popular american metal, but I have always followed slightly on the outside, being a more prog metal fan by heart (Tool uber alles).
ambesolman likes this.

post #2092 of 2480 Old 11-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Post 1989 this band is the biggest waste of talent in the history of metal.
I will say I like the Black album, especially Holier Than Thou, Through The Never, Sad But True, Don't Tread On Me and Of Wolf and Man. But prior to that album I thought of Metallica as the next coming of Led Zeppelin - complex song structures, good musicians and a variety of song styles. Black took away the complexity, Load mortally wounded them and Reload put a bullet through the forehead for the kill shot.

Being an old guy, the album I witnessed that palpably transitioned things away from the 80's style for good was 1993's Sepultura - Chaos A.D. That album was so highly anticipated it caused lines at record stores at midnight events. When I heard that album I knew things had changed (I liked it, but still think their Arise is one of the best thrash albums of all time). I agree with Josh that Pantera took over the mantel as things transitioned to groove, most of which was awful, although a few groove albums I still enjoy today (Machine Head - Burn My Eyes, Pantera - Vulgar, Forbidden - Green, Testament - Demonic). Metal seemed to totally die in the mid/late 90's (I don't count nu-metal), causing me to lose interest in any new music for almost 10 years, and only recovered somewhat around 2004, starting with metalcore (Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, AILD, etc.). Now it seems to have come full circle, where the old bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax, Slayer, Sodom, Death Angel) are generating interest again and reunions of 80's bands are popping up all over the place.
carp likes this.
post #2093 of 2480 Old 11-03-2016, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Metal seemed to totally die in the mid/late 90's (I don't count nu-metal), causing me to lose interest in any new music for almost 10 years, and only recovered somewhat around 2004, starting with metalcore (Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, AILD, etc.).

Smitty, that would have killed me!! I've never had a stretch like that where nothing interested me.

I did not like nu metal at all. I didn't hate it, I simply didn't listen to it because it didn't interest me. The closest I came was NOLA by Down, but not sure that is close enough, more of a southern metal COC type of thing.

Mid to late 90's and early 2000's were the hay day for Opeth. Sadly I discovered them after the fact in 2002, after they had already released 6 albums. I kept reading about how incredible Mikael is and I figured I'd give them a shot. I started with Still Life and thought... meh... kind of boring and not my style. For whatever reason I force fed myself that albums and after 8-10 times of all the way through the album something clicked and I fell in love with it. Next up I tried Blackwater Park. Didn't care much for it the first few listens but stuck with it just like with Still Life and sure enough I liked it even better.

So I figured I'd try out the first 3 albums, but now I knew the drill. I wouldn't be blown away for quite awhile, I had to be patient and let them sink in.

After those 3 albums sunk in (love them all) I checked out their newest at the time, Deliverance which was their 6th album and loved that one too.

Other mid-late 90's albums I LOVE. I tried not to include anything before 1994 and after 1999:

Tool - Aenima
Fear Factory - Obsolete (they have tried to re-create Obsolete and Demanufacture so many times... they all suck in comparison)
In Flames - Jester Race
In Flames - Whoracle
Type O Negative - October Rust
Type O Negative - World Coming Down
Dream Theater - Awake
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Death - Symbolic
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World (2000 but close enough)

Like you, I discovered a bunch of stuff around 2004:

Killswitch Engage
Shadows Fall
Lamb of God
Chimaira
As I Lay Dying
Arch Enemy
Insomnium
Amon Amarth (favorite from this group of bands)

For me it's not close. If I had to choose between the bands from the 90's or 2000's I'd take the 90's hands down. I know the albums listed above by heart (song titles and order etc.) from the 90's but from the 2000's I like the bands but the only album I think I could name the songs in order would be With Oden On Our Side from Amon Amarth. Maybe I could do the same with Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just Breathing.
SmittyJS likes this.
post #2094 of 2480 Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey fellow metal heads, not sure why I didn't think to extend the invite earlier , but here goes. We are having another Home Theater Crawl here in Kansas City next February. 10 home theaters will be on display, our last one in 2014 was a great time.

I think we are getting close to having to close off the invites, I think we are going to cap it around 45 people including the 10 hosts and we are close to that already with around 25 guys coming in from out of town including Mark Seaton.

February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl

Check out the thread, and send me a PM if you are in. I'll let Archaea know and he'll add you to the confirmed on the first post.
post #2095 of 2480 Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TBH, I think Metallica hasn't really been relevant since AJFA in the metal community....yeah they breathe some gasps of air with The Black album and Death Magnetic but still they were long upsurpt. Lamb of God probably took over for Pantera who took over for Metallica and Megadeth here and there in terms of popular american metal, but I have always followed slightly on the outside, being a more prog metal fan by heart (Tool uber alles).

^ Josh, if that's the case did you ever get into Opeth's earlier albums? Hard to categorize but I would say progressive death metal would come close, with the emphasis on progressive.
post #2096 of 2480 Old 11-04-2016, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey fellow metal heads, not sure why I didn't think to extend the invite earlier , but here goes. We are having another Home Theater Crawl here in Kansas City next February.
Interesting idea. Wish I were closer. Although I don't have the speaker chops or the same HT audio focus as most of you guys (not as into SPL) I'm sure it would be a fun time. I'd love to hear those 215's (although I see you have them for sale). I've designed a new house with a 21 x 28 "entertainment" room (HT/separate 2-channel/bar) and I'm sure I could pick up some ideas. Funny thing is, I've already bought almost everything (speakers, amps, cables, etc.) for that room even before I build the house. The heck with the rest of the house. We know what's most important. This hobby is an obsession.
carp likes this.
post #2097 of 2480 Old 11-04-2016, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Smitty, that would have killed me!! I've never had a stretch like that where nothing interested me.
I don't think I bought any metal at all between 1995 - 2001. And then Slayer's God Hates Us All came out. I love that album ... even more than Reign in Blood (I'm speaking blasphemy to Slayer fans). Then nothing until 2004 when I believe the two albums that woke me up were Full Blown Chaos - Wake The Demons and Cataract - With Triumph Comes Loss (still my favorite metalcore album). Been full speed ahead since then.
post #2098 of 2480 Old 11-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ Josh, if that's the case did you ever get into Opeth's earlier albums? Hard to categorize but I would say progressive death metal would come close, with the emphasis on progressive.
Oh yeah! I love Opeth! I found them via Porcupine Tree being a huge fan of all that SW has touched. When I found them I wasn't really into death metal style vocals yet, so it took a bit before I got into their really early albums that were mostly that style as opposed to BWP/Watershed/Deliverance/Ghost Reveries which were more mixed. Around the same time I found early In Flames and got into melodic death. After relatively exhausting the MDM albums/bands I can find I started getting into Tech Death a bit starting with the old more progressive ones Atheist/Cynic/Death/Edge of Sanity and then into proper tech death like Necrophagist.

That is a pretty good summary of me getting into the more extreme side of metal, which some exceptions of liking Lamb of God which wouldn't fit above and Gojira being prog death but in a very different way than other prog death bands.

Back when I was growing up in the Seattle area (hs class of '93) grunge had taken over and just started spreading nationwide. It definitely influenced my tastes in harder music (big Alice in Chains fan), but I found Tool and Nine Inch Nails* around the same time. Few years later Rage against the Machine. I listened to Metallica/Megadeth back then too, but I wouldn't consider myself a metalhead at that time. I think I was in grad school (circa '98) when I was really getting sick of the nu-metal stuff** and started exploring Iron Maiden and Ozzy's back catalog and then branching out into other areas of metal.

* after NIN I did have a few years of really getting into industrial like Ministry, Skinny Puppy and KMFDM.
** in the very beginning of nu-metal I thought it was ok and listened to it a bit, but got over it very quickly despite the genre living on. I admit that Korn's first album I really liked but nothing after that. Staind was ok at first. A bit later I saw Hatebreed and Mudvayne in '99 I think. I guess those were more in the metalcore though.
carp likes this.

Last edited by AudioJosh; 11-04-2016 at 07:15 AM.
post #2099 of 2480 Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

P.S. do any of you guys use bandcamp to explore or get new music? If so you can share your profile or follow mine. Since I have all my music on a NAS for use in various rooms, I prefer downloading FLAC off BC then buying CDs and then having to rip, but only started using it a few years back.

https://bandcamp.com/joshuaknechtel

post #2100 of 2480 Old 11-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
P.S. do any of you guys use bandcamp to explore or get new music? If so you can share your profile or follow mine. Since I have all my music on a NAS for use in various rooms, I prefer downloading FLAC off BC then buying CDs and then having to rip, but only started using it a few years back.

https://bandcamp.com/joshuaknechtel
Followed. My profile. I don't explore there. I really don't do anything but buy there. I searched similar artists there once, but quickly felt like I was digging through a lot of stuff that didn't interest me. Some of my most obscure stuff can only be found there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page