The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 451Likes

post #2161 of 2300 Old 11-15-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Even more so now, I say your tastes are principally goth ... with female singers.

I still say your best bet is that list I gave you earlier. I know you were thinking it would be an overwhelming task to sample each one, but that list is already filtered by female singers, and that's not the way I approach massive lists. Here's what I do ...

1. Look at the album cover. Most, but not all, albums have a style that tells you what kind of music is inside. Compare the cover to the ones you already like.
  2. Look at the band's name. Again, that can tell you the style of music. If the band's name is Kastrated and the album's name is Surge Of Festering Spasticity (this is real), I know without a doubt it's BDM (brutal death metal). Goth bands tend to have names you won't understand the meaning of, or names that invoke an atmospheric, philosophical, dark or spooky feel.
  3. Look at the song titles. Again, the song titles can tell you what kind of music is inside. If the song titles are aggressive chances are it's aggressive music. Same with atmospheric, goofy, technical, etc.
  4. If it passes 1 and 2, and to a lesser extent 3 above, sample 30 seconds (or as much needed to get to the meat of the song) of a couple of songs. If the sound isn't right for those there's almost 100% chance it won't be good for the other songs. I can write off some albums in as little as 5 seconds because of the guitar tone, snare drum, vocals, production or musical style.
I probably look at lists containing a hundred albums per week and it only takes me 1/2 hour or so (unless I find a rare winner ... then I might listen to a good portion of the album). Could I miss a winner this way? Sure, I suppose. But my experience says that's a slim chance and there's just too many albums and too little time.

Another option is to look in metal-archives "similar artist" category. However, almost all the bands that have already been recommended to you are in that list.

Yet another option is to search through getmetal.org's "gothic" category. Trouble is, you'll have to sort through all the male singers because there's no way to filter it.

I was going to recommend Nemesea to you, especially something like the song Forever, but their style is kind of all over the place, as you pointed out - more rock than your Nightwish example.
You probably have a knack for this because of experience which I lack, I do not go through that much new music so often but I think you might do it so often that you may have perfected it as an art form, at least for your own tastes. For me give a speaker spec sheet with design attributes and a response plot and drivers used and I can tell you with 90-95% accuracy if its for me or not, I've spent a lot of time studying that, but I don't go spend too much time looking for new music.

Could you please suggest something from your link if it isn't too much trouble? If you want I can PM you the songs I liked so it would probably speed up your already refined process.

I will eventually get around to trying that list but like you mentioned, for me its an overwhelming task.

Regardless thank you very much, I do hope to try it your way but I'm a bit OCD to let it go that easily when I do actually start searching for new music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2300 Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
If you want I can PM you the songs I liked so it would probably speed up your already refined process.
Sure. I'm not much into goth, except for songs like Lacuna Coil's Trip The Darkness, but after stumbling upon a few goth/doom albums that perked up my ears, I tend to check out the goth releases. I too love great female vocals, although I tend to gravitate toward the Beauty and the Beast vocal style (clean female/death metal male duo).
post #2163 of 2300 Old 11-15-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Nemesea I think sounds like Lacuna Coil.

post #2164 of 2300 Old 11-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

Anyone have further suggestions or comments/feedback that might better explain my tastes to me so that I may have better luck searching?

I think you're more into rock than metal. Nothing wrong with that either my friend. The rock/metal/punk lines get blurred easily.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
post #2165 of 2300 Old 11-15-2016, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone like Benighted or Soils of Fate?

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
Denon 2113ci
post #2166 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
I think you're more into rock than metal. Nothing wrong with that either my friend. The rock/metal/punk lines get blurred easily.
Maybe, I'm not very good with these classifications of musical genres, I just google it and whatever google says I use that. Most of the bands I like seem to be listed under Symphonic Metal. Some people call Evanescence rock, others call it metal, even today I'm not sure of its classification. I hear you on the blurring of lines with these genres though.
post #2167 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #2168 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone like Benighted or Soils of Fate?
I have that Benighted album. Brutally heavy. Their others tend to cross over that line of being a little too hectic and dissonant for me. I'll have to check out SoF tonight.

Edit: Damn! I like that SOF song, but I just can't take the BDM vocals. For instance, I like the brutal heaviness of Abnormity, but I can only take so much of the vocals.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 11-17-2016 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Listened to SOF
post #2169 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Side boob...

I have heard of these bands I think, but haven't listened to them much. First one does sound a lot like Evanescence.
post #2170 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nice. ^

Love this thread.

I started it because I use to try to get in conversations about metal or get suggestions about bands I would like in other forums years ago and it was always the same thing, no matter how many forums I tried. Everyone was so closed-minded and always seemed to talk in such extremes. This band/song/whatever is amazing, that band/song/whatever sucks horribly. No gray area allowed and it always ended in people attacking each other. Haha, probably didn't help that most people on those threads were very young (at least I hope they were! )

Maybe there are good music forums or threads out there now days, but I stopped looking after getting such great posters on this thread.
post #2171 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think all these bands suck except my bands. I grew up listening to dad's rock, mom's jazz, grandpa's Latvian music and grandma's gospel. Then played saxophone for 8 years. So I like anything from classical to death metal. I am picky though because I like to hear instruments being played in metal. So death metal doesnt do it for me because I dont hear notes. BUT working out its great to listen to. Motivation.

BUT ya I am always open to new bands. And while I dont like some music I enjoy hearing the back stories of artists and how they got hear, wrote the song or whatever. Makes it more enjoyable after that.

I always like side boob, under boob and everything else female related.
carp likes this.
post #2172 of 2300 Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

I personally like genre labels to be accurate so I can find new music that meets my tastes. The downside is that with so many genres and sub genres people don't really understand each type. Example, Rolling Stones picked Deftones as their top metal album so far in 2016, but Deftones isn't a metal band. They are an experimental rock band. Nothing wrong with experimental rock bands. If you like it, you like it, so enjoy it.

I see this type of stuff all the time. It doesn't help that many of the big awards also combine rock and metal, "best rock or metal album." Also the Grammy's have given many metal awards to non-metal bands such as Tool, Deftones, Ghost, and Korn. This doesn't help with classifying bands accurately.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
Denon 2113ci
post #2173 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I like anything from classical to death metal. I am picky though because I like to hear instruments being played in metal. So death metal doesnt do it for me because I dont hear notes.
Guitar and bass player here (not that good).

Have you tried progressive instrumental death? Lots of distinct notes.

Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia
Sleep Terror - Unihemispheria
Conquering Dystopia
Alustrium - A Tunnel to Eden (has vocals, but lots of distinct notes)
Brain Collapse - Shred It 'Til You Make It

Last edited by SmittyJS; 11-17-2016 at 05:37 AM.
post #2174 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of progressive instrumental ... if you're into virtuosic music, this side project might be up your alley. They only have a few songs out on bandcamp.

chrapladm likes this.
post #2175 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guitar and bass player here (not that good).

Have you tried progressive instrumental death? Lots of distinct notes.

Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia
Sleep Terror - Unihemispheria
Conquering Dystopia
Alustrium - A Tunnel to Eden (has vocals, but lots of distinct notes)
Brain Collapse - Shred It 'Til You Make It
I am not that good either . BUT what I mean in hearing notes I mean the singers voice. I mean I want to hear vocal range with a great voice but also screaming. SO when its just dark growling I feel like anyone could do that. But someone like a Corey Taylor is a one in a million.

These mentioned that I am posting are not bad at all. Some are hard to follow but. Hard to follow as in you start banging your head and then they change the beat again. Blotted Science has a pretty good bassists and it actually looks like he is trying to shine through.(kudos) Sleep Terror was pretty good also. Definitely adding them to the list. I think I also remember Blotted science broke up or singers changed or something. I dont remember.

Thanks again for the additions.

Bandcamp, wow forgot about that. I will have to get back into that again also. Its been about 8 years since I played. So I cant wait to get back into it. Will also not have a dedicated home theater room but a dedicated garage that I will call my own. So thats where I will be in about two months. Will also have my home theater out there on shelves. Have to make do with what I can.

Last edited by chrapladm; 11-17-2016 at 06:19 AM.
post #2176 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I personally like genre labels to be accurate so I can find new music that meets my tastes. The downside is that with so many genres and sub genres people don't really understand each type. .
All these sub-sub genres seemed ridiculous to me at first, but as I learned them they became an excellent filter and a huge time-saver when looking for new music.
post #2177 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Blotted Science has a pretty good bassist
Yes he is (Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse). He's also the bassist in Conquering Dystopia.

Vocals! Hmmm. Growls are a staple of death metal, so you're probably out of luck there. Maybe some melodic death metal can get close. Bands like Decadawn have a mixture of raw and clean vocals. Their song It All Ends Today is exceptional. And some of the Beauty and the Beast death/doom bands, like End of Aeon (Through Infant Eyes), have great clean female vocalists. I guess Scar Symmetry hits death metal territory now and then. But all the "range" vocalists tend to be in power and progressive metal.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 11-17-2016 at 07:01 AM.
post #2178 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I am pretty picky when it comes to metal as well. BDM isn't for me and like Smitty I can't stand that type of vocals. I like a lot of vocalists in melodic death metal, Dark Tranquillity's is one of my favorites. And oddly I don't like a lot of cleans in my MDM, it just seems forced or cheesy to that style, to me at least. However, chrapladm might very well like Soilwork. They have both clean and growls like Scar Symmetry. They aren't my cup of tea, but that is ok.

I read somewhere that Corey Taylor has the 2nd widest range of all metal/rock vocalists, Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, etc) being #1. So yeah, if you are a Corey fan you won't like find a lot of competition.

I saw Slipknot live last year. I'm not really a fan and even less so a fan of their fans, but I liked their first album a bit. I went to the show to see Lamb of God who were the opener and stuck around for half of Slipknot's set. They put on a pretty awesome live show and have insane drumming.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2179 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Not surprised Mike Patton would be number one, his range is insane. Never a huge fan of his music other than Faith No More's album Angel Dust. Love that one.
post #2180 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

That's it! I'm throwing away my guitars.

carp and chrapladm like this.
post #2181 of 2300 Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ya sometimes I watch youtube videos and think"why do I even try." I have ten years to go to be at where I want skill wise. I will be starting from scratch when I go back to playing. BUT at least I will be able to jam with others after about a year again. Some crazy prodigies on youtube though.

I though it would be cool to have someone post a drum track. Then post a bass track and then another post the guitar. Then if your lucky find someone to add some vocals. Probably a cover song would be easiest. Would be fun. Maybe the song would be a mashup ten minutes long for a thread like this to keep everyone happy.
post #2182 of 2300 Old 11-18-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Is it ok to like the new Metallica here? Are you all wearing safety pins? Kirk Hammett rules.
post #2183 of 2300 Old 11-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Is it ok to like the new Metallica here? Are you all wearing safety pins? Kirk Hammett rules.
I don't like Metallica, but I haven't heard the new album. I'm sure some people here like Metallica though.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
Denon 2113ci
post #2184 of 2300 Old 11-18-2016, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It seems I like a LOT of the old stuff. I dont mind older Metallica. But some people like to change with the times and go more mainstream.(more money)

post #2185 of 2300 Old 11-19-2016, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Haha, NO - it's not ok. J/K, I have listened to it all the way through once and I like it overall. I liked DM though, so take that for what it's worth. This is like DM level song writing but without the horrible clipping. It's as good as I could have hoped for.

Of course it pales in comparison to the great albums. I think I like the first 4 albums (especially 2,3, and 4) way more than most metal fans (or even Metallica fans for that matter) so for me if they come out with an album that is 25 percent as good I will still like it.

I would have loved for them to bring back the guitar sound from Lighting or Puppets or especially Justice, these same songs with that sound would have gone from a 6.5 to a 9.

Last edited by carp; 11-19-2016 at 10:22 AM.
post #2186 of 2300 Old 11-19-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha, NO - it's not ok. J/K, I have listened to it all the way through once and I like it overall. I liked DM though, so take that for what it's worth. This is like DM level song writing but without the horrible clipping. It's as good as I could have hoped for.

Of course it pales in comparison to the great albums. I think I like the first 4 albums (especially 2,3, and 4) way more than most metal fans (or even Metallica fans for that matter) so for me if they come out with an album that is 25 percent as good I will still like it.

I would have loved for them to bring back the guitar sound from Lighting or Puppets or especially Justice, these same songs with that sound would have gone from a 6.5 to a 9.
Agree totally. I even liked St. Anger, it never sounded like Metallica but I respect experimenting. I'm not the biggest Metallica fan in the world but I think their albums are one of a dying breed of "event" type releases and will always check them out to see what they are doing.
Morpheo likes this.
post #2187 of 2300 Old 11-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Well, for those of us a little less enamored of the new Metallica album (to put it lightly - I feel like Charlie Brown and Lucy (Metallica) keeps pulling the football away.) maybe Metallica done Evile-style can pull us out of our doldrums.

post #2188 of 2300 Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Smitty, the true follow up to And Justice for All is never going to happen!! I know, I know, part of me holds out hope and whiffs on the football too..

I've always thought that Cliff's influences lasted through Justice and that's why they could never put out greatness again. The Black Album is outstanding for what it is, and I can see why it has such mass appeal but to me true greatness died with Cliff and the Justice album.

Still, I am really liking the new album. It's growing on me quite a bit. The best songs are not the ones they released.

Question for you guys. Can you get the whole album on Google Play, Spotify, etc.? I pay the 9.99 per month to Google Play so I won't have any commercials so I was wondering if you can still get the whole album without paying the subscription. If you can, why on earth would anyone pay? I can play it on my main system, off my phone in the car, there is no reason to pay for it.

I love that and hate it at the same time. So convenient and cheap to get new music... but eventually it will kill music right? It has to.
post #2189 of 2300 Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Smitty, the true follow up to And Justice for All is never going to happen!!
Yeah, yeah, I know.

You just know what they're capable of and they keep disappointing. IMO, this is their third worst album. Many of the older bands that are still around or have returned have teased with an excellent album here and there (Slayer - GHUA, Christ Illusion; Testament - The Formation of Damnation; Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine; Venom - From The Very Depths; Sodom - In War And Pieces; Helstar - This Wicked Nest; Sepultura - Kairos) but they have generally been uninteresting too, so Metallica shouldn't be any surprise to me, but Death Magnetic was loads better than Load and that God-awful trash can lid snare on St. Anger, so I was hoping they were getting back on track. But this new album puts a stake through their heart as far as I'm concerned.

Even the new Grim Reaper sucks. Boring and Steve Grimmett has lost his voice (not sure if you've ever listened to Rock You To Hell). The only old bands I can think of that consistently put out good stuff are Onslaught and Paradox. The latest Fates Warning is very good. Coroner is putting out a new album next year, after a 20-year absence, and since I think their Mental Vortex is the best technical thrash album ever made I'm almost afraid to listen to it.
post #2190 of 2300 Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know.

You just know what they're capable of and they keep disappointing. IMO, this is their third worst album. Many of the older bands that are still around or have returned have teased with an excellent album here and there (Slayer - GHUA, Christ Illusion; Testament - The Formation of Damnation; Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine; Venom - From The Very Depths; Sodom - In War And Pieces; Helstar - This Wicked Nest; Sepultura - Kairos) but they have generally been uninteresting too, so Metallica shouldn't be any surprise to me, but Death Magnetic was loads better than Load and that God-awful trash can lid snare on St. Anger, so I was hoping they were getting back on track. But this new album puts a stake through their heart as far as I'm concerned.

Even the new Grim Reaper sucks. Boring and Steve Grimmett has lost his voice (not sure if you've ever listened to Rock You To Hell). The only old bands I can think of that consistently put out good stuff are Onslaught and Paradox. The latest Fates Warning is very good. Coroner is putting out a new album next year, after a 20-year absence, and since I think their Mental Vortex is the best technical thrash album ever made I'm almost afraid to listen to it.

Good examples. I'm a huge fan of Christ Illusion. Woah, I had given up on Sepultura, I haven't heard the Kairos album I'll have to check it out. I love how Testament got HEAVIER over the years. Rare.

The 2nd best comeback album for me that came out of nowhere and surprised me with how much I like it was Anthrax Worship Music. In fact, I like it better than old Anthrax (I was not a huge fan though).

The best was Black Sabbath's 13 back in 2013. I expected it to suck and it's great. I shouldn't have underestimated Iommi's riff writing ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page