The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 384Likes
post #2191 of 2197 Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Woah, I had given up on Sepultura, I haven't heard the Kairos album I'll have to check it out. I love how Testament got HEAVIER over the years. Rare.
Kairos reminds me a little of Chaos A.D., although not as heavy. A lot of different rhythms from normal thrash/groove makes it a little more interesting. Demonic is Testament's heaviest, although some people don't care for it because they went groove. I love it because it's heavy and groovy. I can't say there's a "bad" Testament album. A few are uninspiring. The newest doesn't do a lot for me, but I wouldn't call it bad, just nothing stands out about it. Legacy is still my favorite, but the production is really thin.

Quote:
The 2nd best comeback album for me that came out of nowhere and surprised me with how much I like it was Anthrax Worship Music. In fact, I like it better than old Anthrax (I was not a huge fan though).
Their new stuff is OK, but I'm pretty much only a fan of Spreading The Disease and Among The Living.

I'm a huge fan of 3 of the first 4 Trouble albums. They are what Sabbath should have become. A spin-off called The Skull put out a decent Trouble-ish album a couple of years ago, but so far only one. They are supposed to be working on a second album. The first Trouble album (Psalm 9) is probably the only 30+ year-old album I still play on a regular basis. Songs like Revelation and The Fall of Lucifer are just amazing. Even their mediocre albums have some great songs, like Opium Eater on Plastic Green Head. Funny, while writing this I decided to see if there's a remastered version of Psalm 9, and there is, but they only recommend the Metal Blade remaster of 1994. Just ordered a copy from Germany.
carp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2197 Old 11-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Usually not a huge Meshuggah fan, but their latest album has got my attention.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2193 of 2197 Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

(Doom Metal/Dark Ambient/Neo Folk)

I've been debating whether to post this. For one, it's ... different. It's certainly outside my usual sphere of metal ... or music in general, for that matter. Secondly, I'm not even sure I would call it metal, but they do and so does GetMetal.org, so. I've never liked droning pretentious post-hippie kind of weird atmospheric vibe, but something about this one caught my ear. Maybe because it has a lot of shiny objects in it (good vocals, chimes, cymbals and whatnot). It's definitely mood music.

post #2194 of 2197 Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

After hearing what a superb improvement Dan Swano made when remastering Infestdead I've been on a remastering kick. Recently received Trouble Psalm 9 and just found out that Protector's A Shedding of Skin, which I featured here a couple of years ago and think is likely the best death/thrash album ever made, has also been remastered this year. Just ordered a copy from England. I hope this is a trend because the only thing holding back a lot of the older albums is the horrible production. A prime example would be Destruction's Infernal Overkill, and Eternal Devastation, which is a brilliant album, and Testament's The Legacy.
carp likes this.
post #2195 of 2197 Old Today, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 188
So as 2016 is quickly coming to an end, it is about time for a recap on 2016: A Year in Metal. :rock:

Let's start with an all inclusive list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_heavy_metal_music

Now here is my picks (my opinion) for best of 2016, in no particular order because that is like saying whether vanilla is better than chocolate:
Dark Tranquillity -Atoma
Be'lakor -Vessels
Insomnium -Winter's Gate
Meshuggah -The Violent Sleep of Reason
Devin Townsend Project -Transcendence
Vektor -Terminal Redux
Fallujah -Dreamless
Ancients -Voice of the Void
Allegaeon -Proponent for Sentience
Amon Amarth -Jomsviking

All of the above have had heavy rotation--with maybe the exception of Meshuggah which I haven't had enough time with yet but it makes the list because of its initial impression. Be'lakor's probably made the heaviest rotation award, but then they are one of my top favorite bands right now. Vektor was the new comer for me and this album is mind blowing.

Some other very solid albums that are worth mentioning but didn't make the above list due in part to 1) me not having enough time with the album, 2) not quite being metal (Opeth/Katatonia), or 3) I really like it but don't love it like those above.

Exmortus -Ride Forth
Obscura -Akróasis
Katatonia -The Fall of Hearts
Death Angel -The Evil Divide
Lamb of God -The Duke
Ayreon -The Theater Equation (live album)
Omnium Gatherum -Grey Heavens
Opeth -Sorceress
Fleshgod Apocalypse -King
Ihsahn -Arktis
Harakiri for the Sky -III: Trauma
Morthus -Over the Dying Stars
Countless Skies -New Dawn
In Mourning -Afterglow

Bang on!
carp, Morpheo and Spidacat like this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2196 of 2197 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Haha, NO - it's not ok. J/K, I have listened to it all the way through once and I like it overall. I liked DM though, so take that for what it's worth. This is like DM level song writing but without the horrible clipping. It's as good as I could have hoped for.

Of course it pales in comparison to the great albums. I think I like the first 4 albums (especially 2,3, and 4) way more than most metal fans (or even Metallica fans for that matter) so for me if they come out with an album that is 25 percent as good I will still like it.

I would have loved for them to bring back the guitar sound from Lighting or Puppets or especially Justice, these same songs with that sound would have gone from a 6.5 to a 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Agree totally. I even liked St. Anger, it never sounded like Metallica but I respect experimenting. I'm not the biggest Metallica fan in the world but I think their albums are one of a dying breed of "event" type releases and will always check them out to see what they are doing.
Huge fan here! Agree with you darth, Kirk rules!!!! I've been listening to Hardwired quite a few times since it came out, I love the album. I even bought the deluxe vinyl I've watched a few interviews and Kirk is such a nice person too. The day after I bought it, I remembered that exactly 30 years ago, I got puppets when it came out back in 86. Since then I lost my album (as well as many from my metal collection and I'm still pissed about this!) so I decided to buy it again (vinyl), it was a strange feeling to finally have my Puppets album back in my hands I've been a Metallica fan ever since I heard The Four Horsemen back in.........oh f---k it, back then Even the Load and Reload era, there are good things there (well not everything but still...) - the one I like the least is probably St-Anger, but it's the damn snare, and the fact that there are no solos...

carp, fwiw I love the mix on Hardwired, I kinda agree with you that I somewhat miss the guitar sound from Puppets, but I was pleasantly suprised with the new album, it sounds amazing. I can't stand the drum sound on Justice, everything sounds so thin, that's too bad cause it's such a great album. Hetfield's voice on Spit Out The Bone is one-of-a-kind

Anyway, I could talk about them for hours...

Oh and by the way, there was a mention of The Agonist a few posts back, it was actually Alissa White-Gluz's band before she joined Arch Enemy... hmmmm Alissa.... And she is from Montreal too!

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #2197 of 2197 Unread Today, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Huge fan here! Agree with you darth, Kirk rules!!!! I've been listening to Hardwired quite a few times since it came out, I love the album. I even bought the deluxe vinyl I've watched a few interviews and Kirk is such a nice person too. The day after I bought it, I remembered that exactly 30 years ago, I got puppets when it came out back in 86. Since then I lost my album (as well as many from my metal collection and I'm still pissed about this!) so I decided to buy it again (vinyl), it was a strange feeling to finally have my Puppets album back in my hands I've been a Metallica fan ever since I heard The Four Horsemen back in.........oh f---k it, back then Even the Load and Reload era, there are good things there (well not everything but still...) - the one I like the least is probably St-Anger, but it's the damn snare, and the fact that there are no solos...

carp, fwiw I love the mix on Hardwired, I kinda agree with you that I somewhat miss the guitar sound from Puppets, but I was pleasantly suprised with the new album, it sounds amazing. I can't stand the drum sound on Justice, everything sounds so thin, that's too bad cause it's such a great album. Hetfield's voice on Spit Out The Bone is one-of-a-kind

Anyway, I could talk about them for hours...

Oh and by the way, there was a mention of The Agonist a few posts back, it was actually Alissa White-Gluz's band before she joined Arch Enemy... hmmmm Alissa.... And she is from Montreal too!

Hetfield's vocals are the best they have been in a very long time. I love the extra reverb they gave him, and there are vocal parts on Halo on Fire and Spit out the Bone that really get my attention.

Speaking of the Loads... as much as I didn't love them I think if I had to pick one post 1988 song that was my favorite it would be Bleeding Me. That song has always done it for me for some reason.

Listening to the album now, Halo on Fire NP. I like the whole song, but from 6:05 to the end I get just an inkling of that feeling/vibe I get when I listen to their all time great songs. Well done on that one.

Now... if they could just write something to compete with Orion...

Yeah, I know, I ask too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion