The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 580Likes

post #2251 of 2517 Old 01-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Here is something that I wouldn't normally listen to, but it keeps my attention:

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2517 Old 01-23-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
[quote=AudioJosh;49988337]How did I not know about these guys?! I mean seriously, I'm a fan of Opeth, fan of Katatonia, fan of Dan Swano. How did I not know they made a super group as a tribute to the old school swedish death style.

Ditto! I was not aware of this band either. Solid pick!
post #2253 of 2517 Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 PM

Schmoke and a pancake and.....

This album. Crushing!

post #2254 of 2517 Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Brutally heavy feminist (all-female) death metal EP. Scary name.

AudioJosh likes this.
post #2255 of 2517 Old 01-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Not a huge fan of beauty and the beast vocals, but this is an interesting track.

SmittyJS likes this.

post #2256 of 2517 Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

In the mood for some progressive black metal

|Tch0rT| and bombertodd like this.

post #2257 of 2517 Old 01-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Enslaved has always had some catching riffs.

AudioJosh likes this.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
New Theater Under Construction
post #2258 of 2517 Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I succumbed to pressure (real or imaginary) and bought the new Metallica album. Honestly, I liked Death Magnetic except for the terrible recording quality. It was fun to crank while I wasn't really paying too much attention. This album feels like it fits into the same vibe but isn't quite as bad of quality, at least on decent speakers. I tend to think of it as pop metal, but not terrible. Babymetal might be what I call terrible pop metal.

post #2259 of 2517 Old 02-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

This reminds me of early Opeth with maybe a little Tool thrown in.

It's certainly better than Metallica's latest
post #2260 of 2517 Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard of them a few times lately. Will have to check them out. I am on a bit of a Meshuggah kick lately. Never really thought I'd warm up to them, but somehow I did.

post #2261 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 508 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
This reminds me of early Opeth with maybe a little Tool thrown in.

Nailed To Obscurity - King Delusion

It's certainly better than Metallica's latest

Oh man, now there's a combination that gets my attention. I'll have to check this out next chance I get.
post #2262 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a confession to make. I really like the new Metallica album.

No, it's not 80's Metallica. Nothing ever will be.

Haha, yes Halo on Fire is my favorite song on the album, especially the last section of it. However.... no way I've listened to it 169 times. I must have had repeat on from doing some omnimic test tone measurements and left the room when Halo was on and it played over and over or something like that.
post #2263 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I've heard of them a few times lately. Will have to check them out. I am on a bit of a Meshuggah kick lately. Never really thought I'd warm up to them, but somehow I did.
I keep trying but I haven't been able to yet. All the songs I've heard sound the same to me. Any specific song recommendations?
post #2264 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I keep trying but I haven't been able to yet. All the songs I've heard sound the same to me. Any specific song recommendations?
Their first album, Contradictions Collapse, is pretty good and has some cuts that sound like AJFA, especially the song Erroneous Manipulation. Well worth a listen. Their other albums are too dissonant, experimental, djenty, syncopated or staccato for me. Frustrating because every once in a while they can get into a good groove and then they lose it. They never stay in one place long enough for me to catch a hook. Funniest, and probably most accurate comment I remember reading about them was something like "I'd like to headbang to this, but I'm not good at math"
carp likes this.
post #2265 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

I really like the polyrhythms. Meshuggah is definitely an acquired taste and I still don't like everything they did. Bleed is one of their most popular song, but for me its only so-so. My two favorite songs that grabbed me were Combustion and Do Not Look Down. Off Obzen and Koloss respectively. I must confess that I was probably really drunk when first got into them. I think you have to be in a state of mind to just go with it for it to click. At least for me. But now that it did click I really do like it.

And I am good at math (did my BS and MS in stats and math). That however is an amazing quote. Also for me, Meshuggah absolutely has to be heard on a good stereo (you got that covered) as on typical headphones it is all just one sound and there is no delineation which is required IMO.

Re: Hardwired.... I got the album yesterday in the mail (usually buy off amazon if not on bandcamp) and listened to it last night. It is a fun metal album. I admit that I was grooving on it, whereas I really didn't like the tracks I heard on Youtube but it sounded better on my stereo. I actually liked Death Magnetic, however the production quality was total ****!

Last edited by AudioJosh; 02-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #2266 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I agree that Meshuggah's track do sound a lot alike. I feel the same way about Shadow's Fall.

I think the best band out right now is Insomnium. The same feeling I got when I first heard bands like Metallica, Pantera, Opeth, Nile. They are bands that furthered my progression into metal.

Insomnium is serious. I still have only listened to 3 albums, but just ordered every other CD.
post #2267 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also for me, Meshuggah absolutely has to be heard on a good stereo (you got that covered) as on typical headphones it is all just one sound and there is no delineation which is required IMO.
Can't remember if I've ever heard Meshuggah on good speakers because I've only had "really" good speakers for a couple of years. No matter. If I'm listening to "busy sounding" music it either hits me right away, like Deviant Process recently did, or it never does. Besides, I've been going a little nuts sampling a massive amount of stuff on Bandcamp. I've got plenty to sift through to keep me busy for a while. I've been stacking them up in my wish list, using it as my queue for stuff I want to check out in depth.

I think I finally figured out a good system for sampling Bandcamp. At first I was looking at collections of people who had the most matches with mine. But my God, many of these people have THOUSANDS of albums in their collections. I think they're album hoarders. I didn't like the vast majority of their stuff and it was taking too long to sift through, especially without the anticipation of finding more keepers. So I switched to looking only at the people who had my favorites in their collection. Those people seem to match my tastes better. However, the massive collectors did open my eyes to some non-metal music I wouldn't normally have listened to, like some electronic stuff, which honestly I'm not all that into, but my goodness when I play The Monk of Chunk's song Tiger Prowl I just have to laugh at the effect coming from my system.
post #2268 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Their first album, Contradictions Collapse, is pretty good and has some cuts that sound like AJFA, especially the song Erroneous Manipulation. Well worth a listen. Their other albums are too dissonant, experimental, djenty, syncopated or staccato for me. Frustrating because every once in a while they can get into a good groove and then they lose it. They never stay in one place long enough for me to catch a hook. Funniest, and probably most accurate comment I remember reading about them was something like "I'd like to headbang to this, but I'm not good at math"

Haha, that's awesome.

So, I'm checking out Erroneous Manipulation and beginning is ok... then all of a sudden at 50 seconds my head starts bobbing. Good stuff here. Production is weak but I'm liking the guitars for sure.
post #2269 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really like the polyrhythms. Meshuggah is definitely an acquired taste and I still don't like everything they did. Bleed is one of their most popular song, but for me its only so-so. My two favorite songs that grabbed me were Combustion and Do Not Look Down. Off Obzen and Koloss respectively. I must confess that I was probably really drunk when first got into them. I think you have to be in a state of mind to just go with it for it to click. At least for me. But now that it did click I really do like it.

And I am good at math (did my BS and MS in stats and math). That however is an amazing quote. Also for me, Meshuggah absolutely has to be heard on a good stereo (you got that covered) as on typical headphones it is all just one sound and there is no delineation which is required IMO.

Re: Hardwired.... I got the album yesterday in the mail (usually buy off amazon if not on bandcamp) and listened to it last night. It is a fun metal album. I admit that I was grooving on it, whereas I really didn't like the tracks I heard on Youtube but it sounded better on my stereo. I actually liked Death Magnetic, however the production quality was total ****!
I liked DM too but couldn't listen to the regular album with all the clipping. I burned the guitar hero 3 version right after the album came out and it is so much better. No clipping/distortion on it. Still, it doesn't have a good of production as the new album, I think it sounds great. If they had crunchy guitars I'd be screaming from the roof tops about how good this album is.
post #2270 of 2517 Old 02-04-2017, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Symphony View Post
I agree that Meshuggah's track do sound a lot alike. I feel the same way about Shadow's Fall.

I think the best band out right now is Insomnium. The same feeling I got when I first heard bands like Metallica, Pantera, Opeth, Nile. They are bands that furthered my progression into metal.

Insomnium is serious. I still have only listened to 3 albums, but just ordered every other CD.

I love Insomnium. You should check out Omnium Gatherum if you haven't already. The album The Red Shift is my favorite of theirs. I like Insomnium a bit more but it's close.
post #2271 of 2517 Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Mastodon has a new album coming out in a cpl months

the newest OG album "Grey Havens" is really good as well if you haven't heard it. if you like Insomnium you will prob like Ensiferum as well. Start with "From Afar" if you don't know them.

Also Wintersun has a new album coming out this year and no its not Time II, but it should be good anyway
post #2272 of 2517 Old 02-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I like Wintersun's debut self titled much better than Time I.

I really like Insomnium, but I don't love them. The vocalist is just ok IMO and I am a huge MDM fan. I like OG's vocalist even less, but do still like them. For me, when it comes to that style of MDM Be'lakor is by far my favorite.

Some of my favorite MDM bands right now are:
Mors Principium Est
Dark Tranquillity
Be'lakor
Insomnium
In Mourning

post #2273 of 2517 Old 02-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

SmittyJS likes this.

post #2274 of 2517 Old 02-06-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
It might be an unpopular opinion, but I like Wintersun's debut self titled much better than Time I.

I really like Insomnium, but I don't love them. The vocalist is just ok IMO and I am a huge MDM fan. I like OG's vocalist even less, but do still like them. For me, when it comes to that style of MDM Be'lakor is by far my favorite.

Some of my favorite MDM bands right now are:

Mors Principium Est

Dark Tranquillity

Be'lakor

Insomnium

In Mourning

Love some Mors Principium Est.

Can't wait for the new After the Burial album to come on Spotify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nuance likes this.
post #2275 of 2517 Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Normally not a huge Doom/Stoner/Sludge fan but this is pretty good. I hear lots of things in it and yet it sounds fresh enough.

post #2276 of 2517 Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I love Insomnium. You should check out Omnium Gatherum if you haven't already. The album The Red Shift is my favorite of theirs. I like Insomnium a bit more but it's close.

I checked out Omnium Gatherum. Solid Pick! I do think Insomnium is better. I listened to Redshift and Grey Heaven, which I personally liked better than Redshift.

I will continue to listen.
post #2277 of 2517 Old 02-08-2017, 06:13 PM

The Best Metal Song Ever Composed, In the History of Metal!......*IMO
post #2278 of 2517 Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Absolutely gorgeous song! Hard to say if the best metal song because I'd want a long list for whichever mood I'm in. Sometimes you just want to crank some Cattle Decapitation and act like a spaz in your living room, other times you want to take psychedelics and wax philosophical to ambient black metal (didn't actually happen, just in case someone took me serious). That is one of the reasons I love metal is that it is so diverse but heavy on emotions (hate, anger, despair, voyeurism, mortality, spiritualism, etc).
SmittyJS likes this.

post #2279 of 2517 Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Never could understand the whole satanic thing in metal. Always thought that Satanism was always shock value and lack of art maybe.

post #2280 of 2517 Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Never could understand the whole satanic thing in metal. Always thought that Satanism was always shock value and lack of art maybe.
https://youtu.be/SnTL1L8a6YI
I disagree. I think this album is a work of art. I guess religious people would find the Satanism offensive. I find it adds a cinematic theme to their music. This band is all about the live show. I recommend seeing them.

I agree with you about metal and its variety of moods that it covers. "The Drapery Falls" ,to me, just encompasses a wide range of moods.

Last edited by Mr Symphony; 02-09-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page