The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 493Likes

post #2371 of 2393 Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2393 Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 295
New Hideous Divinity in 4 days.

This is my go-to band for testing the ability of speakers on congested music. IOW, there's a lot of stuff going on all at once.

carp, vipervick and Medi0gre like this.
post #2373 of 2393 Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Ah so this is your Pink noise burn in track
SmittyJS likes this.

post #2374 of 2393 Old 04-26-2017, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
(Instrumental death/groove)

Feasting on Darkness - The Black Cloud

This one ^ caused the involuntary lip curl thing. One great riff after another after another. Maybe death/groove is my thing.

Ohhh I could even play it in PE class. No death vocals.
post #2375 of 2393 Old 04-26-2017, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Playing the whole album now. Oh hell yes.

First song is so good too. From 3:20 on track one to the end the volume got a little crazy. It's been a long time since I've liked something this much the first time I heard it.
post #2376 of 2393 Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On song 5 now. This is amazing. It's like they wrote it specifically for my taste.

Guys... you have to listen to this album and tell me I'm not crazy - or maybe I am - but this is the best recommendation I've listened to on this entire thread and that's saying a LOT.

Crunchy/groovy/heavy with tons of changes and variety. This will be my go to album for friends that like heavy music but can't stomach death vocals.

Oops, track 6 intro sounded a lot like parts of track 5 but that's the only weakness so far.

OHHH but then 58 seconds happened... oh yes. And then 1:22. And then 1:38!!!

Ok, I'll try to stop gushing over this album.
Medi0gre likes this.
post #2377 of 2393 Old 04-27-2017, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Guys... you have to listen to this album and tell me I'm not crazy - or maybe I am - but this is the best recommendation I've listened to on this entire thread and that's saying a LOT.
You're crazy

Hey, if you like it you like it. I liked it enough to buy it. Well, actually I used an iTunes gift card I got for Christmas . It is very good ... but not as good as Aeon - Aeons Black.

If it's the thick guitar and groove you like, maybe you missed a pure groove recommendation I made a couple of years ago. The guitar sound and rhythm on Feasting reminded me immediately of this album ...

Heretic - Soul Possessed

MA calls Feasting On Darkness progressive death, but they're dead wrong. That's why I called it death/groove. It definitely has the structure of death, and the rhythm and guitar sound of groove. Death/groove (which is different from groovy death) is a very obscure genre. I've only seen a few others, and all but the following (they call themselves "Massive Rhythmic Death") weren't very good.

AudioJosh likes this.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 04-27-2017 at 05:13 AM.
post #2378 of 2393 Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I listened to the whole album all the way through 3 times yesterday. I never do that with new music anymore. I checked out their other album on google play, it wasn't bad but the production was not even in the same league so I lost interest.

Smitty, I'll definitely be checking out Heretic and Thy Final Pain tonight if I get a chance. Just my luck that it's an obscure genre so there won't be much of it out there....
post #2379 of 2393 Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I have to agree I do like the Feasting on Darkness selection of tracks also. But I am a little crazy so .....
carp likes this.
post #2380 of 2393 Old 05-12-2017, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

(Thrash/power metal)

Reminds me of (old ... good) Metallica on certain songs, especially Guardians of the Wretched (which is not on YouTube).

(Death/groove)

Last edited by SmittyJS; 05-12-2017 at 07:56 AM.
post #2381 of 2393 Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

(New wave of old school thrash)

This is one of the few new wave of old school thrash bands who get it right. A mixture of influences.

post #2382 of 2393 Old 05-14-2017, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I went to see Devin Townsend/Gojira/Opeth Friday night.

Things started off great, DT is amazing. Man that guy can sing, his range and power is awesome. He's so charismatic too, he had me cracking up in between songs, my wife was laughing too and she could care less about any of this kind of music (she's just a good sport and doesn't mind going with me since no one I know outside of AVS has even heard of bands like Opeth).

At one point he was going off on a tangent about a woman in the front row making him chocolate chip cookies and what not, and it turned out he was just killing time because of some kind of technical difficulty but it was funny as hell - I think he could be a stand up comedian.

Later he said something like (probably not remembering the line exactly right), "you think this kid of music is hard???? It's not. You know whats hard? Taking your kids to soccer practice!!" So true....

I was thinking to myself this might be the best opening act I've ever seen and was really excited for Gojira and Opeth.

What a let down.

I don't blame the bands because I know they can play, but the sound was terrible. Talk about bass bloat/ringing. I'm guessing it was in the 80-100 hz range, it was brutal. The culprit was mainly the kick drum, but the bass guitar had the same issue. That's all I could hear... ringing/bloaty bass. Gojira had it bad, and Opeth was even worse. We ended up walking around to see if the sound could get any better in difference places in the theater but that didn't help much.

I love Opeth. They are one of my all time favorite bands (I don't like their last few albums but their first 6 are perfect IMO). The last time I saw Opeth they played NOTHING heavy but sounded amazing. It was a much smaller venue and the bass was quick/smooth and didn't cover up everything else. I actually really enjoyed that show because of how great they sounded but it would have been so much better if they played some heavy stuff.

Well, this time their second song was Ghost of Perdition and a couple songs later Demon of the Fall. I was bored. Sucks. After 5 or 6 songs, I told me wife that we could go. That's how bad the sound was. Now, I will say we never made it to the front or even the middle of the ground floor so maybe the sound was great down there, but all the places we could get to it was the same crapiness.

Oh well... the show was worth it for Devin Townsend. I've always liked him but that bumped him up a few notches in my book. So talented.
vipervick likes this.
post #2383 of 2393 Old 05-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 248
That really sucks! I saw all three bands separately last year. DTP was amazing but it was so loud it was painful and I had to improvise earplugs because I had forgotten mine. There is a good reason why he has such a dedicated 'cult' following.

Gojira might have been the best show I saw last year and I saw close to 30 shows. But the venue was a pretty decent venue and the sound was spot on. Then again I have a habit of standing near the control booth, so the sound I'm hearing is pretty close to the sound the sound guy is hearing, so if he is good at his job the sound should be good.

When I saw Opeth it was second row center in Toronto's largest and most famous opera house. It was built with good acoustics in mind and is the second best venue in Toronto. However, I think Gojira's live presence made it the best show of last year for me.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2384 of 2393 Old 05-23-2017, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I finally got to see Obituary on Saturday.. omfg that show was awesome. It was the Hartford Death Fest at the Webster Theater in Hartford CT. My friends band Bone Storm was playing on the second stage, along with a bunch of other bands, including Decrepit Birth, and on the main stage they had some more local bands, as well as Rivers of Nihil, Gruesome (great Death cover band), Cryptopsy, and finally Obituary

I watched all of the bands on the second stage, and my friends band absolutely ****ing murdered the place, which was hilarious, since they are a fairly unknown band.. They had a pretty packed crowd, and the mosh pits were crazy for their whole set. Decrepit Birth was decent, Gruesome was awesome.. totally sounded like Death, even the vocals.. and they had Terry Butler come out and play bass on one of the songs from Death's Spiritual Healing album, which he played on. Rivers of Nihil sounded fantastic, and they can play. Cryptopsy was absolute ****ing ****. The musicians were good, but they sounded too mashed together, and the vocalist was probably the worst I've ever seen...and they played for like an hour. Anyways, Obituary finally came out, and they were spot on. I was skeptical, since they are getting old.. was hoping it wouldn't be a Metallica moment where they've hung on too long, and damn was I wrong! They were as tight as ever. The new lead guitarist can ****in jam out some solos, and the rest of the band was spot on all night. John Tardy's vocals are just as gnarly live as they are on the record

https://wearebonestorm.bandcamp.com/

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two 18" Dayton PA460's + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #2385 of 2393 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

(Progressive something ... melodic and upbeat ... virtuosic)

I hesitate to list this because IMO this is something like instrumental progressive rock with a hint of jazz, but they're listed on Wikipedia as progressive metal and they tour with metal bands. It's light, happy music with tons of talent. Their previous album, Muse, might be a little better, but there's something about this video I like and I just can't seem to put my finger on it.

post #2386 of 2393 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

10 mins of the most awesome unintentional comedy at a live metal festival

SmittyJS and vipervick like this.

post #2387 of 2393 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

You know what about a band like Polyphia, or however you spell it, that I don't really like is the tone (I'll put in Animals as Leader, Plini, ...) . It isn't lack of compression, it is the tone is too clean. They need just a bit of either 1) distortion, 2) reverb, 3) echo, 4) eq, .... pick some other above, but too much of progressive is just too clean, and it sounds like a visit to the dentist or proctologist as a result. Especially with instrumental (cause the vocals can't distract).
|Tch0rT| likes this.

Last edited by AudioJosh; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
post #2388 of 2393 Old Today, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
You know what about a band like Polyphia, or however you spell it, that I don't really like is the tone (I'll put in Animals as Leader, Plini, ...) . It isn't lack of compression, it is the tone is too clean. They need just a bit of either 1) distortion, 2) reverb, 3) echo, 4) eq, .... pick some other above, but too much of progressive is just too clean, and it sounds like a visit to the dentist or proctologist as a result. Especially with instrumental (cause the vocals can't distract).
There's tone in that video? Oh, oh yeah right ... the music.

Yeah, but the progressive jazz guys love this tone. I don't mind it ... when I'm not in the mood for metal ... when I'm in the mood for virtuosic, complex, hint of jazz stuff. But I'm usually an 'all or nothing' guy when it comes to tone. Give me a thick, massive, meaty tone like Cannibal Corpse's Evisceration Plague, Aeons Black or Heretic's Soul Possessed, or everything else just generally falls into some area of the "mild scale" of the tone bucket for me. At that point it just has to fit the genre.

I can only put my finger on two "metal" tones I can't stomach ... the screechy thinness of most black metal tones, and an overly fuzzy sound common in some doom/stoner/crust/death stuff. Coffins would be a good example of the latter.
post #2389 of 2393 Old Today, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

OK, back to some real metal.

inhumation.bandcamp.com/album/ontogenesis

post #2390 of 2393 Old Today, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I love Jazz and most things music and that last video was kinda annoying really. Sounded like it couldnt decide what it wanted to do. I thought the girl was going to start singing and then she did nothing.
post #2391 of 2393 Old Today, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
I love Jazz and most things music and that last video was kinda annoying really. Sounded like it couldnt decide what it wanted to do. I thought the girl was going to start singing and then she did nothing.
Maybe it's the guitar player in me. Their playing is top-notch. In fact, Nick Johnston plays on some of their songs. I featured Johnston's album Remarkably Human a while ago. One of my favorite guitar albums.
post #2392 of 2393 Old Today, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

post #2393 of 2393 Old Today, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 116