The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 589Likes

post #2431 of 2531 Old 08-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
So i stumbled on this article the other day:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...albums-w493840

This is my first time listening to Opeth and I'm in awe. This guys voice, the musicianship is amazing I stayed up til 2am listening to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries.

Any other bands that are in the same category you guys recommend?
Welcome to the world of Opeth! Several of us, myself included, are Opeth fans. Mikael Akerfelt is a hell of a musician. Not only is he a master of the craft, you can tell by reading articles like the one you linked that he still very much thinks of himself as a student. He is very dedicated to his beliefs. As such, it is kind of hard to come up with similar bands in the category of Opeth. At least in my opinion. @SmittyJS may be able to give you great suggestions as that dude is like a human version of encyclopaedia metallum, www.metal-archives.com.

Here are some suggestions when you type Opeth into Spotify:
Katatonia
At the Gates
Meshuggah
Gojira
Ihsahn
Bloodbath (Mikael was the lead singer on I think the first 2 albums or the 2nd and 3rd albums. Don't remember which.)
Soen
Cynic
Dark Tranquillity
Amorphis (One of my all time favorite bands! )
Pain of Salvation
Enslaved
Leprous
Devin Townsend Project
Strapping Young Lad (Also has Devin Townsend as lead singer)
Diabolical
Insomnium
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Porcupine Tree (More a prog rock band but is fronted by Steven Wilson who produced several of Opeth's later albums including Blackwater Park)

Opeth is a unique band that has many styles of music incorporated into the 'Opeth sound' so if you need more suggestions, let us know what it is about Opeth that you really like (not an easy thing to do, I know) so we can give you more suggestions. If you like more of the older stuff then you may be looking for more 'melodic death metal'. Their newer stuff is most certainly prog which brings a whole new list. Bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and Yes have been cited by Mikael as big influences on him.

For more suggestions, look up Opeth at www.metal-archives.com and look at the similar artists tab. If you haven't checked out 'the archives', you need to go there now! Hope this helps \m/

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2531 Old 08-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
OPETH BUG....NITRO F_YEAH!

I shed a tear when I hear "Drapery Falls".
Not sure why. I don't even know what the song is about.
Unbelievable tune. I had to hear every Opeth album immediately after hearing that.

I shed a tear when I listen to Jim Gillette's, glass shattering, voice.
That OFR album rules! Freight train, Machine gun eddie,.....Just love that whole era.
Total cheese, but living through it was fun.

Blackwater Park...masterpiece
Watershed...2nd
Still Life ...3rd
Ghost Reveries ...4th
Sourceress is growing on me bigtime now.
post #2433 of 2531 Old 08-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
SmittyJS may be able to give you great suggestions
Sorry, I'm kind of ambivalent about Opeth. Progressive death is one of those genres that rarely reaches out and grabs me. I tend to gravitate toward heavier, more rhythmic death. However, I do like their newest album quite a bit, but that's because it really isn't metal, so I'm not judging it as such. But maybe check out King Delusion by Nailed to Obscurity. That has the flavor of early Opeth in a lot of places.

For progressive death in general, Edge of Sanity - Crimson is obvious. It's my favorite progressive death, although Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire is giving it a good run for the money. But due to my general lack of interest, I'm not that knowledgeable about progressive death.
esappy likes this.

post #2434 of 2531 Old 08-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Sorry, I'm kind of ambivalent about Opeth. Progressive death is one of those genres that rarely reaches out and grabs me. I tend to gravitate toward heavier, more rhythmic death. However, I do like their newest album quite a bit, but that's because it really isn't metal, so I'm not judging it as such. But maybe check out King Delusion by Nailed to Obscurity. That has the flavor of early Opeth in a lot of places.

For progressive death in general, Edge of Sanity - Crimson is obvious. It's my favorite progressive death, although Alkaloid - The Malkuth Grimoire is giving it a good run for the money. But due to my general lack of interest, I'm not that knowledgeable about progressive death.
Well for not being into progressive death, you made several suggestions that I was unaware of. Now I have some more to look into myself.

I have really gotten back into death metal over the last decade and find I enjoy a lot of the varients (there are almost a ridiculous amount of subgenres aren't there? But I guess that in itself is metal, to be ridiculous and excessive at times ) with the exception of deathcore. I haven't been able to really get into that much at all. Now while I prefer the death metal growl, I have been checking out more black metal lately. This stems from my fondness of the folk/pagan/Viking metal subgenres that appear to be rooted in earlier black metal and share some of the same vocal styles. At least with bands like Falkenbach, Borknagar, and Wintersun. I am not a fan of the 'burn all churches', 'satan is king' and 'I hate you just because' black metal, you know the stuff that mostly revolves around religion. But I have started gaining an appreciation for the more atmospheric black metal subgenre. There is a youtube channel called atmospheric black metal that I have found a lot of stuff that I like. A lot of new bands on there like Eldamar and Shylmagoghnar. Eldamar is much more ambient and makes great sit a chill out music. Not bad for a 1 man band by a kid who is like 20 years old now. Shylmagoghnar seems to be more of a black death type, at least to me. They blend both black and death metal type vocals and the music is faster paced. I am digging them quite a bit.

PLUS, I still have a ton of catching up to do with your previous suggestions! \m/

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #2435 of 2531 Old 08-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
with the exception of deathcore. I haven't been able to really get into that much at all.
Me either ......... except The Dialectic. It's brutally heavy, but doesn't have the monotonous slamming drone of normal deathcore. It's the only pure deathcore album I own. I like some Infant Annihilator songs too, however they have the must disgusting lyrics of any metal band. Just a warning if you can't get past that. Their singer and drummer are extremely talented.

Funny you mention Shylmagoghnar. That album's been in my shopping basket for the longest time. It grabs my ear, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. I really like the song I Am the Abyss. I'm trying to be a little more selective in my album purchases. I'm cheap, so I tend to get the guilts if I buy everything that catches my ear. Besides, I'm gonna blow $250+ the next time the Buckethead Pikes go on sale .

I like a lot of atmospheric stuff, but it generally tends to fall under the progressive or post-metal/rock genres. Alynn - Dawn is atmospheric progressive with a little black metal thrown in here and there. I also like If These Trees Could Talk and Distant Dream for atmospheric post-rock.

However, my personal preference is brutally heavy fare. There hasn't been an album made that's too heavy and there never will be. I'm in a perpetual search for the new "heaviest".
esappy likes this.
post #2436 of 2531 Old 08-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

(Death/doom)

Speaking of heavy - here's one that'll make Carp do his scrunched up nose thing. Unfortunately the rest of the album, while good, is not nearly this heavy.

carp likes this.
post #2437 of 2531 Old 08-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Me either ......... except The Dialectic. It's brutally heavy, but doesn't have the monotonous slamming drone of normal deathcore. It's the only pure deathcore album I own. I like some Infant Annihilator songs too, however they have the must disgusting lyrics of any metal band. Just a warning if you can't get past that. Their singer and drummer are extremely talented.
Well with a name like Infant Annihilator I can only imagine what their lyrics are like!

Quote:
Funny you mention Shylmagoghnar. That album's been in my shopping basket for the longest time. It grabs my ear, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. I really like the song I Am the Abyss. I'm trying to be a little more selective in my album purchases. I'm cheap, so I tend to get the guilts if I buy everything that catches my ear. Besides, I'm gonna blow $250+ the next time the Buckethead Pikes go on sale .
I am listening to them again right now. I am really liking this band a lot. I will have to buy their album just to support them. The production value of the album is really good. Not in line with the raw crappy sound that the original black metal 'purists' prefer and I am OK with that. I think that is one of the main reasons I never really got into black metal before. That and I am not a huge fan of the really high shrieking some black metal bands do. At least with Shylmogoghnar they keep the vocals from being high pitched and enter death growl territory depending on the song. Their music is much more melodic too, which I prefer. And those double bass drums are absolutely killer on my subs. Even my dog was slam dancing to them! Well not really, she was just flipping her toy around but it looked like slam dancing. Highly recommended for others to check this band out.

Quote:
I like a lot of atmospheric stuff, but it generally tends to fall under the progressive or post-metal/rock genres. Alynn - Dawn is atmospheric progressive with a little black metal thrown in here and there. I also like If These Trees Could Talk and Distant Dream for atmospheric post-rock.
I've heard a little from If These Trees Could Talk, not much. But I will have to check out the others you mentioned. I have been listening a little more to Summoning. They are more of the 'lo-fi' sound but I am liking their sound. Especially from the Old Mornings Dawn album. I also like some of Agalloch's stuff too. It's too bad they split up last year.

Quote:
However, my personal preference is brutally heavy fare. There hasn't been an album made that's too heavy and there never will be. I'm in a perpetual search for the new "heaviest".
What would you consider some of your "heaviest" just out of curiosity?

post #2438 of 2531 Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What would you consider some of your "heaviest" just out of curiosity?
Well, coming from a Sabbath background, I've always considered mid-paced, hook-laden, thick chugging guitar and pummeling drums the heaviest style. Sweet Leaf was the first song I considered truly heavy. And being that Aeon's Aeons Black is probably the only album I consider massively heavy all the way through - and by far my favorite DM album - I tend to be satisfied with just finding heavy songs.

The undisputed king of heavy songs is power violence band:
Nails - Suum Cuique; Wide Open Wound; You'll Never Be One of Us

Other heavy songs would be:
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Bloodbath - Eaten
Misery Index - The Carrion Call
Slayer - Seven Faces
Exhorder - Desecrator
Exhorder's version of Into the Void
Darkapathy - Corpse Ritual
Necropsy - Deathprayer
Kataklysm - Push the Venom; Crippled and Broken; As I Slither
Man Must Die - It Comes In Threes
Dawn of Demise - And Blood Will Flow
The Destro - Beast Burden
Purgatory - Downwards Into Unlight
Celtic Frost - Procreation of the Wicked
Trouble - Revelation
Cataract - Nothing's Left
Dying Fetus - One Shot One Kill
Skinless - A Unilateral Disgust
Heisenberg - Tube Sock Sodomy
Absurdist - Disavowing the Myth of Law
Hideous Divinity - Summoning Fists to Heaven
Infestdead - Evil2 (remastered version)
Imprisoned - Imprisoned
esappy likes this.
post #2439 of 2531 Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2883 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
(Death/doom)

Speaking of heavy - here's one that'll make Carp do his scrunched up nose thing. Unfortunately the rest of the album, while good, is not nearly this heavy.

Temple of Void - Lords of Death

Yep, very nice.
post #2440 of 2531 Old 08-07-2017, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Esappy -

It didn't floor the other regulars on the thread as much as is did me, but you should check out the album called The Black Cloud by the band called Feasting on Darkness.

Smitty recommended it a few months ago, and it remains my favorite find of any of the albums recommended in this thread and there have been a ton of great ones.

It combines great crunchy guitars, very varied riffs, and the groviness of the heaviness just does it for me. There is no singer, it would be very interesting if they ever add one.
esappy likes this.
post #2441 of 2531 Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Esappy -

It didn't floor the other regulars on the thread as much as is did me, but you should check out the album called The Black Cloud by the band called Feasting on Darkness.

Smitty recommended it a few months ago, and it remains my favorite find of any of the albums recommended in this thread and there have been a ton of great ones.

It combines great crunchy guitars, very varied riffs, and the groviness of the heaviness just does it for me. There is no singer, it would be very interesting if they ever add one.
I listened to this on the way in to work this morning. I like it! I will have to listen to it more at home. I do agree that it would be interesting if they had a singer though. Some deep death growls would be awesome with the music.

@carp did you get a chance to try out that Nargaroth song yet? The bass is ridiculous and quite awesome and the music is very atmospheric. Good for just chilling out to.

I don't know if this band has been mentioned yet but I am really liking the music of a band called Spartan. They are a melodic death metal group with some power metal influences from The Netherlands. The album is The Fall of Olympus. Worth a listen (or many) in my opinion. \m/
carp likes this.

post #2442 of 2531 Old 08-09-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I listened to this on the way in to work this morning. I like it! I will have to listen to it more at home. I do agree that it would be interesting if they had a singer though. Some deep death growls would be awesome with the music.

@carp did you get a chance to try out that Nargaroth song yet? The bass is ridiculous and quite awesome and the music is very atmospheric. Good for just chilling out to.

I don't know if this band has been mentioned yet but I am really liking the music of a band called Spartan. They are a melodic death metal group with some power metal influences from The Netherlands. The album is The Fall of Olympus. Worth a listen (or many) in my opinion. \m/
No, I saw your post when I was out of town and then I forgot about it when I got back. I'm listening to it now. Ha, you weren't kidding about the massage! It's very relaxing...
esappy likes this.
post #2443 of 2531 Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
So i stumbled on this article the other day:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...albums-w493840

This is my first time listening to Opeth and I'm in awe. This guys voice, the musicianship is amazing I stayed up til 2am listening to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries.

Any other bands that are in the same category you guys recommend?

Huge Opeth fan. I discovered them around 2002 if I remember right. I listened to them all the time for about 5 years or so. It took so long to digest each album, and at that point they had already made 7 albums.

Every album was perfection to me until Ghost Reveries. I like that album a lot, but I would get bored at points which had never happened before. Watershed was an even further departure from what I loved about Opeth and I didn't like Heritage at all. The new album is much better than Heritage, but still does nothing for me compared to their earlier albums. For the longest time I couldn't decide what album I like best, but in the end it has to be Blackwater Park followed closely by Morningrise, My Arms your Hearse, Still Life, and Deliverance in no particular order. Not sure I could pick my second favorite.

The guitar solo on A Fair Judgement might be my favorite solo of all time, tied with the extended version of Hollow Years form the Live at Budokan Blu Ray from Dream Theater.
esappy likes this.
post #2444 of 2531 Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Half way throught the Spartan album. You are right, this is good stuff.
esappy likes this.
post #2445 of 2531 Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Half way throught the Spartan album. You are right, this is good stuff.
It's been growing on me every day. They are sufficiently heavy, The speed and pacing of the album is great, The singer can growl pretty good, and the production value I think is great (especially for being the freshman album of an unknown melo-death band). Not bad for discovering this band by accident while playing music off youtube in the background. I am looking forward to what they are going to do next.

You need to check out Shylmagoghnar also if you haven't already. I think you will like that one also. \m/

post #2446 of 2531 Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know how many of you get out to concerts, but I am super excited to be seeing Slayer tomorrow in Seattle! It's been a few years since I have seen Slayer. I admit that I am not a huge fan of the newer albums, but it looks like they will be playing a lot of their older stuff so that makes me happy!

Next month, my wife and I will be going to the Epica concert. Insomnium and Lacuna Coil will be opening up for them. I have been listening to the new Lacuna Coil album A LOT. I love it. It is way heavier than their previous stuff and I like the theme of it as well. Highly recommended even if you don't care for their older stuff. Here is my favorite track off the album.

post #2447 of 2531 Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Video killed the metal star.

Not sure if this is just me, but in the last few years some metal song videos and live sessions have been so well-produced that I find them much more compelling to watch than sitting there looking at nothing. So I've found myself listening to YouTube videos of these particular selections instead of my matching CD/FLAC/MP3, even though I believe YouTube bitrate is 128kbps AAC. I know it costs more money than just throwing up a vibrating picture of the album cover (I hate those), but hope these high quality videos are a trend.

Examples:
Walk In Darkness
Jinjer
Kataklysm
Dying Fetus
Bodyfarm
Slayer (Repentless)
Oceans of Slumber

Even the unintelligible, unlistenable concert-goers' videos from the past have now been supplanted by higher quality handheld technology and are somewhat acceptable.
Example:
Buckethead 4K concerts

Cannibal Corpse has done interesting story-telling videos for a while, but their sound quality has been dubious.

It would be great if we got to the point of having video albums, like Kataklysm did for Of Ghosts and Gods, with 256kbps or better audio. Hopefully the premium music services will start pushing that idea.
esappy likes this.
post #2448 of 2531 Old 08-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Welcome to the world of Opeth! Several of us, myself included, are Opeth fans. Mikael Akerfelt is a hell of a musician. Not only is he a master of the craft, you can tell by reading articles like the one you linked that he still very much thinks of himself as a student. He is very dedicated to his beliefs. As such, it is kind of hard to come up with similar bands in the category of Opeth. At least in my opinion. @SmittyJS may be able to give you great suggestions as that dude is like a human version of encyclopaedia metallum, www.metal-archives.com.

Here are some suggestions when you type Opeth into Spotify:
Katatonia
At the Gates
Meshuggah
Gojira
Ihsahn
Bloodbath (Mikael was the lead singer on I think the first 2 albums or the 2nd and 3rd albums. Don't remember which.)
Soen
Cynic
Dark Tranquillity
Amorphis (One of my all time favorite bands! )
Pain of Salvation
Enslaved
Leprous
Devin Townsend Project
Strapping Young Lad (Also has Devin Townsend as lead singer)
Diabolical
Insomnium
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Porcupine Tree (More a prog rock band but is fronted by Steven Wilson who produced several of Opeth's later albums including Blackwater Park)

Opeth is a unique band that has many styles of music incorporated into the 'Opeth sound' so if you need more suggestions, let us know what it is about Opeth that you really like (not an easy thing to do, I know) so we can give you more suggestions. If you like more of the older stuff then you may be looking for more 'melodic death metal'. Their newer stuff is most certainly prog which brings a whole new list. Bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and Yes have been cited by Mikael as big influences on him.

For more suggestions, look up Opeth at www.metal-archives.com and look at the similar artists tab. If you haven't checked out 'the archives', you need to go there now! Hope this helps \m/
You guys are amazing all of you. Thank you so much!!!!
esappy likes this.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Klipsch atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
post #2449 of 2531 Old 08-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure if this is just me, but in the last few years some metal song videos and live sessions have been so well-produced that I find them much more compelling to watch than sitting there looking at nothing. So I've found myself listening to YouTube videos of these particular selections instead of my matching CD/FLAC/MP3, even though I believe YouTube bitrate is 128kbps AAC. I know it costs more money than just throwing up a vibrating picture of the album cover (I hate those), but hope these high quality videos are a trend.

Examples:
Walk In Darkness
Jinjer
Kataklysm
Dying Fetus
Bodyfarm
Slayer (Repentless)
Oceans of Slumber

Even the unintelligible, unlistenable concert-goers' videos from the past have now been supplanted by higher quality handheld technology and are somewhat acceptable.
Example:
Buckethead 4K concerts

Cannibal Corpse has done interesting story-telling videos for a while, but their sound quality has been dubious.

It would be great if we got to the point of having video albums, like Kataklysm did for Of Ghosts and Gods, with 256kbps or better audio. Hopefully the premium music services will start pushing that idea.
I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, you are quite right. I do know that for the longest time I've wished that more bands would just put out some concert videos on disc or even available for download. Sure you can get videos on youtube but the majority are just fans recording on their iPhones and Galaxy's and, well, as soon as the bass hits, the audio goes to complete ****e! I myself record songs at concerts too though I have never uploaded any. They sound just as crappy but honestly I hate sitting there holding my phone to record. Makes it really hard to headbang and keep the cam steady. That and the arms get tired after a while. I don't know if it just would cost too much to make concert videos or what but that's something I wish I can get more of.

post #2450 of 2531 Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Just found a sealed 1997 reissue/remaster of one of the best metal albums of all time for a decent price. And the only album cover that gives me the willies. If anyone is interested, there's still a used one left on Discogs for only $8.99.

post #2451 of 2531 Old 08-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Dyscarnate is releasing a new album September 15th. Hope the rest is as heavy as this. Sounds like Dyscarnate may be headed further into the same groove direction as Decapitated. I'd much rather have the groove than all the dissonant stuff that was coming out a couple of years ago.

esappy likes this.
post #2452 of 2531 Old 08-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Wow! I really like the sound of that. I agree that hopefully the whole album sounds as heavy. Good stuff there. \m/

post #2453 of 2531 Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

So my buddy and I had a great time at the Slayer concert on Saturday night. It was a decent venue. WAMU Theater for those interested. There was a pretty large crowd and it was very energetic. Behemoth and Lamb of God were the opening acts. We arrived in time to only catch the last two Behemoth songs due to unforeseen road construction slowing us way down and stupid me, I didn't have the foresight to look ahead and make sure there wasn't any other events going on in Seattle. Well there was a Mariners game in town that night also and the stadium is literally right next door to the venue Slayer was playing at so you can imagine how bad parking sucked. BUT, we got extremely lucky there, as we circled back around the block to find a spot in the parking garage, low and behold someone had just vacated a spot on the street! We snatched that bad boy up with the quickness! Now neither of us are really a fan of Behemoth so it wasn't that big deal that we missed them, but my stance on concerts usually is that since I am paying hard earned money, I want to see all the bands regardless. All in all, it was a lot of fun and we enjoyed ourselves. I will see if any of the pics I took turned out well and will post a couple when I get home from work. Here is the setlist for Slayer:

Repentless
The Antichrist
Disciple
Post Mortem
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
When The Stillness Comes
You Against You
Mandatory Suicide
Hallowed Point
Dead Skin Mask
Born Of Fire
Cast The First Stone
Bloodline
Seasons In The Abyss
Hell Awaits
South Of Heaven
Raining Blood
Chemical Warfare
Angel Of Death

I was really excited at the amount of songs that came from the Seasons In The Abyss album as that is my personal favorite Slayer album. Follow that up by South Of Heaven and Reign In Blood as my other top Slayer albums and that made up half the concert so I was very happy. I am more indifferent to the newer stuff. Just doesn't excite me as much. I think the biggest surprise song on this list, at least to me, happened to be Bloodline! But I guess the vampire theme of this songs really does fit the theme of the tour overall. I don't care I just really like that song too. Good times! \m/
SmittyJS likes this.

post #2454 of 2531 Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

You're on your own for a while boys. I just bought the whole Buckethead Pike discography (~270 albums), so my scouting new metal is going on hiatus. It's going to take me a while to listen and download all this stuff. I'll leave you with this nice virtuosic progressive/power metal EP.

post #2455 of 2531 Old 08-19-2017, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I like the sound of that ^, nice and punchy/precise.

Ha, well even if you gave us another recommendation again I could spend weeks/months going back and re-sampling what you've posted so far. I don't know much about Buckethead. Looks like I've been missing out.
post #2456 of 2531 Old 08-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know much about Buckethead. Looks like I've been missing out.
I've known about Buckethead for a while, but must have just sampled a song or two where he didn't show his skills. Somehow I stumbled onto his non-goofy stuff (99.9%) and I'm blown away. He's by far the best guitarist I've ever heard, and almost as good of a songwriter. Definitely the most innovative. Add the intrigue of the weird personality traits - I mean c'mon, he wears a KFC bucket and a kabuki mask, only talks through a disembodied head hand puppet, and does robot moves while he plays - the stunningly virtuosic ability and the ridiculous variety of playing styles (metal, rock, blues, bluegrass, ambient, etc.), and you have someone I just can't stop watching and listening. The guy is truly a savant. You have to have mental problems to be this good ... and prolific (he has 300 albums, and for a while was putting out a new and different album every four days).

Here's his best song (that I've heard so far, and that quickly became one of my favorite of all time).

After that, if you have an Amazon Prime account, pull up his Electric Sea album and listen to a totally different style.

But you can't truly understand the Buckethead experience until you watch a full concert. The following has really poor lighting, but probably the best sound. The Portland, OR concert is the best I've seen so far for the video. There may be better. I've only watched a handful. There are a bunch more on the YouTube Buckethead Live channel.

carp and ambesolman like this.
post #2457 of 2531 Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 257
One of the better albums I've come across in some times I think.

https://hyperionblacklion.bandcamp.c...phical-euphony

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2458 of 2531 Old 08-26-2017, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

(Acoustic metal)

New genre to me. I recently bought Ewan Dobson's first album. As usual, I started looking into his discography and came across his latest release (Insomnimania) that was listed as acoustic hard rock/metal. Realistically, it has a handful of dark songs with metal riffs played on acoustic. The guy is a phenomenal player. I'll throw in a second non-metal video so you can see him playing.

Ridiculous acoustic technique (not sure what the hat means ... he doesn't always wear it):

carp and ambesolman like this.
post #2459 of 2531 Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

(Progressive instrumental metal)

I swear I wasn't scouting new metal. This one just fell right into my inbox from bandcamp. It's a solo project from one of the guys in Veld and it's very good ... very professional. Don't go by this one song (it was the only one on YouTube) because each of the songs on this EP is varied, and frankly, this is the worst and least heavy one. This was so good it was an immediate buy for me. Nice sound quality too.

https://veldmetal.bandcamp.com/album/seeds-of-chaos
carp likes this.
post #2460 of 2531 Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I finally decided to upgrade to Spotify premium rather than buy a bunch of music that I may not play all that often. I've become too much of a music hoarder. For the price of one album/month if I use it it will be well worth the money.

Using it currently to check out SepticFlesh which I never really gave much of a listen to before. I like the album Communion. So far so good.

SepticFlesh - Communion
esappy likes this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page