The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 84 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 580Likes

post #2491 of 2516 Old 09-22-2017, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm glad you're not done posting recommendations. I'm halfway through this, it's fantastic!
I'm not actively scouting for it. Too busy ATM (and still going through all the Buckethead stuff). Funny how it keeps finding me ... between the Bandcamp release emails and "Based on previous purchase, you may like this" notifications.

Previous Dyscarnate is good, but hit and miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2516 Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was 10 when Kill 'em All came out, so very close in age. The only problem is that I didn't hear it for many years. At that age I thought there was nothing heavier than AC/DC, Van Halen, Ozzy, oh man and what could be heavier than Shout at the Devil?
I'm glad to see us - ahem - older guys (I'm older than you two) didn't become afflicted with the dreaded disease that affects 95% of the populace - only listening to music we listened to as teens. We kept expanding and growing, trying out the new stuff. It gives you a much wider base from which to enjoy music. And I don't plan to stop until I'm in the ground.
carp, Morpheo, esappy and 1 others like this.
post #2493 of 2516 Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I just wanted to say "Thanks for this thread" carp! I'm 57, but I still consider myself a metal head, though I may have started toning it down a bit in the last few years

I got my start in my early teens when my cousin turned me on to rock via Bob Seger, Steve Miller and the like, but I distinctly remember the exact moment I truely discovered hard rock / heavy metal...
I was riding my skateboard at a local ramp with a group of friends and we were listening to some "crap" on a boom box. Another friend shows up with a cassette and he's shouting "you have GOT to hear this!" He pops the cassette into the boom box, cranks up the volume... and the phenomenal sounds of Runnin' With the Devil, Eruption and You Really Got Me came spewing forth one after the other! It was almost too much for a virgin rock enthusiast to take! I remember asking "who the flock is this?", and when he told us all I could say was "who the flock is Van Halen?". Needless to say, I was hooked!

I'm a grandfather now and I have to sadly admit that I've missed out on most of the lesser known bands mentioned in this thread but will give them a listen... at least until I have to use a hearing aid!
Thanks again!
Eric
carp, esappy, SmittyJS and 1 others like this.

post #2494 of 2516 Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 508 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2833 Post(s)
Liked: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles60 View Post
I just wanted to say "Thanks for this thread" carp! I'm 57, but I still consider myself a metal head, though I may have started toning it down a bit in the last few years

I got my start in my early teens when my cousin turned me on to rock via Bob Seger, Steve Miller and the like, but I distinctly remember the exact moment I truely discovered hard rock / heavy metal...
I was riding my skateboard at a local ramp with a group of friends and we were listening to some "crap" on a boom box. Another friend shows up with a cassette and he's shouting "you have GOT to hear this!" He pops the cassette into the boom box, cranks up the volume... and the phenomenal sounds of Runnin' With the Devil, Eruption and You Really Got Me came spewing forth one after the other! It was almost too much for a virgin rock enthusiast to take! I remember asking "who the flock is this?", and when he told us all I could say was "who the flock is Van Halen?". Needless to say, I was hooked!

I'm a grandfather now and I have to sadly admit that I've missed out on most of the lesser known bands mentioned in this thread but will give them a listen... at least until I have to use a hearing aid!
Thanks again!
Eric
Ahhh so you actually got to hear it when (or close to) it came out. I can't imagine what an impact that would have. I was too young.

However, Van Halen 1 still made quite the impression on me in the early 80's as it was being CRANKED out of the first non stock car stereo system I had ever heard of. A guy up the street got his restricted liscence when he was 14 (he was 6 years older than me and obvioulsy the coolest person in my known world) and had himself a blue Plymouth Duster from the early 70's and that system was loud - this was in the days long before subs though, just really loud speakers. The most commonly played song as he sped around the neighborhood was none other than Running With the Devil. Back then kids were never inside, so it seemed like I was hearing his music all the time.

Thanks for the thanks! There were a handful of times over the years when I went out surfing for music forums to talk metal and get recommendations but everything I found was the same. A bunch of idiots ripping each other's specific taste in metal. Everything sucks but what I like kind of thing. So I figured I'd start my own thread here.
post #2495 of 2516 Old 09-22-2017, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
I'm glad to see us - ahem - older guys (I'm older than you two) didn't become afflicted with the dreaded disease that affects 95% of the populace - only listening to music we listened to as teens. We kept expanding and growing, trying out the new stuff. It gives you a much wider base from which to enjoy music. And I don't plan to stop until I'm in the ground.

I have a touch of it.... what I mean is that I haven't been as completely consumed with anything like I was with Justice, Lightning, and Puppets (discovered them in that order) during my freshman year of college - as I'm sure you know since I keep bringing up those albums in this thread....

On the flip side I've discovered so much music that I love since then, and now days when I listen to music it is usually something new.
post #2496 of 2516 Old 09-22-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My favorite album this year so far. Its so tight and kinda has a little bit of everything plus their Canadian so I may be a little biased!

klaatu barada nik*cough*
Denon AVR-X4300H/Turd Sony- 7.4.4
Polk Rti A9 LCR, Volt6 Surrounds and Heights
Inuke 3000,6000- 2x HO18 sealed, 2x Ultimax18 sealed, FBQ 2496
PT ae8000 Projector, Samsung 5900 3D BDP, Harmony Elite
Falcon 110 2:35.1 Screen

Last edited by Medi0gre; 09-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.
post #2497 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Ahhh so you actually got to hear it when (or close to) it came out. I can't imagine what an impact that would have. I was too young.

However, Van Halen 1 still made quite the impression on me in the early 80's as it was being CRANKED out of the first non stock car stereo system I had ever heard of. A guy up the street got his restricted liscence when he was 14 (he was 6 years older than me and obvioulsy the coolest person in my known world) and had himself a blue Plymouth Duster from the early 70's and that system was loud - this was in the days long before subs though, just really loud speakers. The most commonly played song as he sped around the neighborhood was none other than Running With the Devil. Back then kids were never inside, so it seemed like I was hearing his music all the time.

Thanks for the thanks! There were a handful of times over the years when I went out surfing for music forums to talk metal and get recommendations but everything I found was the same. A bunch of idiots ripping each other's specific taste in metal. Everything sucks but what I like kind of thing. So I figured I'd start my own thread here.
Yeah, I'm THAT old It was the week it came out and it became our defacto skate album for quite a while!

I am almost done installing an after-market stereo system in my car as I just can't seem to lose the desire for good music at high volumes. The stereo has some good components, DSP, two 12" subs and 1800 watts of power. My wife and I are also building a new home with a dedicated HT which is what brought me to this forum...
carp likes this.
post #2498 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi0gre View Post
My favorite album this year so far. Its so tight and kinda has a little bit of everything plus their Canadian so I may be a little biased!

https://youtu.be/1lsnTQyGI78
I'll have to check this out. Speaking of Canadians, carp mentioned Devin Townsend in his first post... I have only heard Devin during his singing stint with Steve Vai, but am going to have to also check out Strapping Young Lad.

BTW, love your signature line... "cough"
Medi0gre likes this.
post #2499 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi0gre View Post

https://youtu.be/1lsnTQyGI78
Reminds me of:

Not that that's bad, I like it and that show was hilarious.
post #2500 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm THAT old It was the week it came out and it became our defacto skate album for quite a while!

I am almost done installing an after-market stereo system in my car as I just can't seem to lose the desire for good music at high volumes. The stereo has some good components, DSP, two 12" subs and 1800 watts of power. My wife and I are also building a new home with a dedicated HT which is what brought me to this forum...
Nice! Are you going to DIY the subs and/or speakers for the HT?
post #2501 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 06:06 AM

Zimmers hole. Had members from Strapping including Gene Hoglan, Nathan Explosion has a contribution on this album as well.
Highly underrated band in my opinion
Hopefully they put something out again

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #2502 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 06:13 AM

Here's another lesser heard band. Only the one album, but it's solid. Gene Hoglan sat in on this project as well.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #2503 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll have to check this out. Speaking of Canadians, carp mentioned Devin Townsend in his first post... I have only heard Devin during his singing stint with Steve Vai, but am going to have to also check out Strapping Young Lad.

BTW, love your signature line... "cough"
Here is some good SYL, with a great Evil Dead inspired video:

New stuff from his solo band:

One of my favorite songs from his first solo album back in 97.

Fast forward to 2:09:10

For some reason I can't get the video to start there when posting it like I used to.

Medi0gre likes this.
post #2504 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 06:17 AM

I can't believe he got rid of the skullet.
I'm tempted to grow one now that I'm going bald bahaha.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #2505 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, I kinda like his mellow stuff. Has a Pink Floyd vibe.

post #2506 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Nice! Are you going to DIY the subs and/or speakers for the HT?
No, I'm going to purchase all the equipment... Looking at speakers from Aperion Audio, the Verus II line. They get good reviews and have a good return policy if I don't like them.
post #2507 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I got to see SYL several years ago at either OzzFest or Mayhem Festival (don't remember which) when Devin Townsend still had hair (skullet I think was the term used ) and have liked them since. I haven't really listened to his solo stuff though I have been meaning to.

Seeing him without hair kind of reminds me of Kurgan from Highlander!

carp likes this.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #2508 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Or better yet:

carp and SmittyJS like this.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #2509 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Naw you're not that old! I may be almost 42 but my concert buddy is 65. He always tells me that since I have gotten him into real heavy metal, that he doesn't feel like a 65 year old at all. In fact we just saw Slayer a couple weeks ago and we just got tickets to go see Children of Bodom in November. That was the band that started his heavy metal journey! Metal is timeless and doesn't care what your age is!!!

post #2510 of 2516 Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Naw you're not that old! I may be almost 42 but my concert buddy is 65. He always tells me that since I have gotten him into real heavy metal, that he doesn't feel like a 65 year old at all. In fact we just saw Slayer a couple weeks ago and we just got tickets to go see Children of Bodom in November. That was the band that started his heavy metal journey! Metal is timeless and doesn't care what your age is!!!
esappy likes this.

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #2511 of 2516 Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM

Yeah, in my opinion it's all about where your mind is at, and mine is still in my early 20's. Hopefully it will keep me young long after my contemporaries have one foot in the grave... so to speak
So far, so good... we have a small dirt bike track in our back yard that my kids grew up riding on, and I have refused to let go of my Husqvarna 250. Since we are building a new place on some acreage, I'll likely put in another track, and have even considered a small half-pipe so I can skate as a way to keep in shape. Sorry for the rant
esappy likes this.
post #2512 of 2516 Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Over on the 2-channel forum gillcup mentioned this EP. It's old style - kind of sparse and raw (usually not my thing) - but I like the Sabbath-inspired doomy hooks. They remind me so much of another band, but I just can't put my finger on it.

gillcup likes this.
post #2513 of 2516 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
Or better yet:

Hahah, spot on!! I never put that together... I wonder if Devin could also make himself look like 'the collossal prick that managed to sound magnanimous'. That's the same guy right?

esappy likes this.
post #2514 of 2516 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hahah, spot on!! I never put that together... I wonder if Devin could also make himself look like 'the collossal prick that managed to sound magnanimous'. That's the same guy right?
Yup, same dude. His real name is Clancy Brown. He also played the badass bootcamp instructor Zim in Starship Troopers and apparently is going to be the voice of Surtur in the upcoming Thor:Ragnarok movie. He has a ridiculous (in a good way) amount of actor credits to his name though I'm still most partial to Highlander. I love that movie! It's just too bad that they F'd up the rest of the franchise!
carp likes this.

post #2515 of 2516 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 4988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Over on the 2-channel forum gillcup mentioned this EP. It's old style - kind of sparse and raw (usually not my thing) - but I like the Sabbath-inspired doomy hooks. They remind me so much of another band, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Beastmaker - Coven Born
Be sure to check out their two albums, Lusus Naturae and Inside the Skull. Great stuff.
SmittyJS likes this.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #2516 of 2516 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There were a handful of times over the years when I went out surfing for music forums to talk metal and get recommendations but everything I found was the same. A bunch of idiots ripping each other's specific taste in metal. Everything sucks but what I like kind of thing. So I figured I'd start my own thread here.
I am glad that you did start this thread and I am also glad that we have a fairly diverse group here that seems to get along well even though we each have different preferences to varying degrees. Quite a while ago I used to be an active member of one of my favorite metal bands, Fear Factory. But after a while it really devolved into exactly what you described, "a bunch of idiots ripping each other's specific taste in metal." Because of that (and the fact that I really felt like I was arguing with a bunch of 12 year olds), I left the forum and haven't been back since. I'm glad that we are all "mature enough" to let each other offer their opinions and recommendations without getting blasted for it! It really is nice to be able to be a fanboy/fangirl of a certain band and let everyone know about it without ridicule. I have certainly benefitted from the openness here and have been introduced to more than one band that I am now a fan of because of the fact that people here can recommend whatever they want without being mocked! OK, off my soap box.

Now I can't wait to go see Children of Bodom again! \m/
carp likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page