To The Wonder (Terrence Malick) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Guess I'm just not in the same league with you when it comes to ultra pontificating poignant films like this Sir Oink wink.gif Glad you loved it though.

This movie lost me at hello and just spiraled into a cold black hole the more I watched it and completetley lost it half way through and had to put it out it's misery (or mine). I just don't get it, can't get into it in anyway shape or form. But it's fine, this is NOT a movie you put it when guests are over unless you want them to leave early or fall asleep. It was basically the same for Trees of Life so no more Malick movies for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

Guess I'm just not in the same league with you when it comes to ultra pontificating poignant films like this Sir Oink wink.gif Glad you loved it though.

This movie lost me at hello and just spiraled into a cold black hole the more I watched it and completetley lost it half way through and had to put it out it's misery (or mine). I just don't get it, can't get into it in anyway shape or form. But it's fine, this is NOT a movie you put it when guests are over unless you want them to leave early or fall asleep. It was basically the same for Trees of Life so no more Malick movies for me.
Different strokes and all.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #33 of 42 Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Play it again Terry...............

The Hun
post #34 of 42 Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I'm learning that when it comes to what you consider art, not only is it highly subjective, but you really have to disregard what anyone else says or thinks or feels about it. If you appreciate it, if you like it, or if it speaks to you, then that's all that matters with respect to that work of art. Once you dispense with trying to get other persons to share in your appreciation of art you enjoy, you are free to bask in what you like and say to hell with other persons' purely subjective opinions about it. Of course, your own opinion about it or any other work of art is purely subjective too, but to you, that's all that matters.

I read something the other day a photographer wrote that resonated with me in that regard. He wrote, "You can improve your photography and life 100% by not caring what other people think."

It's similar to what I've read many writers and composers and songwriters say or write. Essentially, many of them say they write or compose for themselves. If readers or listeners appreciate what they do, great, but they do it to please and express themselves.
Morpheo likes this.
post #35 of 42 Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I'm learning that when it comes to what you consider art, not only is it highly subjective, but you really have to disregard what anyone else says or thinks or feels about it. If you appreciate it, if you like it, or if it speaks to you, then that's all that matters with respect to that work of art. Once you dispense with trying to get other persons to share in your appreciation of art you enjoy, you are free to bask in what you like and say to hell with other persons' purely subjective opinions about it. Of course, your own opinion about it or any other work of art is purely subjective too, but to you, that's all that matters.

I read something the other day a photographer wrote that resonated with me in that regard. He wrote, "You can improve your photography and life 100% by not caring what other people think."

It's similar to what I've read many writers and composers and songwriters say or write. Essentially, many of them say they write or compose for themselves. If readers or listeners appreciate what they do, great, but they do it to please and express themselves.
AVS's Post-of-the-Month.cool.gif

post #36 of 42 Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, oink.

I forgot to mention it in my post, because it really didn't belong in that expression of thought, but damn Olga looked gorgeous in To the Wonder. That woman has some fine genes.
post #37 of 42 Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, oink.

I forgot to mention it in my post, because it really didn't belong in that expression of thought, but damn Olga looked gorgeous in To the Wonder. That woman has some fine genes.
Agreed.

Ms. Kurylenko is, of course, Ukrainian.
Modern Ukrainian genetics are based on a mix of European and Mongol bloodlines from the 13th century.
This is why so many Ukrainian women look "exotic."

Someday, I hope to travel to the Ukraine.....wink.gif

post #38 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

And now available on Netflix Watch Instantly.

post #39 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post

And now available on Netflix Watch Instantly.

Thanks! Just finished watching it.
post #40 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.

Ms. Kurylenko is, of course, Ukrainian.
Modern Ukrainian genetics are based on a mix of European and Mongol bloodlines from the 13th century.
This is why so many Ukrainian women look "exotic."

Someday, I hope to travel to the Ukraine.....wink.gif

Thanks. I never knew that's why certain Ukrainian and maybe also some Russian women looked "exotic," as you say, in that way. I had not given it much thought other than to notice it, but that makes sense. Thanks, Genghis!
post #41 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, anybody here with technical knowledge either because you're into cameras and lenses or somehow connected to the film industry know what Malick shot with for To the Wonder and Tree of Life for those fish eye lens views at waist level? In other words, what sort of camera, lens, and dolly or tracking does he use to get that effect?

Anybody else use something like that currently? Did he build it, have it made? I don't know how much he is into the technical side of cameras and lenses like Kubrick was. From what I remember, Kubrick had some of his own cameras built to his specs and knew more about cameras and lenses and lighting than most cinematographers do.
post #42 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. I never knew that's why certain Ukrainian and maybe also some Russian women looked "exotic," as you say, in that way. I had not given it much thought other than to notice it, but that makes sense. Thanks, Genghis!
Here is some stunning information on how GK changed world genetics:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_Genghis_Khan

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page