Mama (2013) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
"Annabel and Lucas are faced with the challenge of raising his young nieces that were left alone in the forest for 5 years.... but how alone were they?"

Now I don't usually watch Horror films in theaters but seeing how this one has Jessica Chastain in it...hmmm maybe I'll give it a shot. Seen her in a comedy, a serious spy thriller, as a cia agent, and as the voice of some animal in Madagascar. Definitely interested to see how she does in a horror!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I'll be seeing it next week unless the reviewed are sooo bad I change my mind.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #3 of 16 Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll be going tomorrow!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #4 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #5 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At the theater about to watch it. Its in atmos! http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos-details.html

post #6 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got back from seeing this in ATMOS! Not the best ending but I must say I really enjoyed the scares up to the ending. Jessica Chastain has once again proved her acting abilities! Not a ditz in this film but more like a "punk". The ATMOS mix was great! A horror film in atmos just adds a whole new level to the genre. If you are into horrors or popcorn flicks definitely check it out!

The little girl (lyly) in the film should get an oscar lol

post #7 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Just got back from seeing this in ATMOS! Not the best ending but I must say I really enjoyed the scares up to the ending. Jessica Chastain has once again proved her acting abilities! Not a ditz in this film but more like a "punk". The ATMOS mix was great! A horror film in atmos just adds a whole new level to the genre. If you are into horrors or popcorn flicks definitely check it out!

The little girl (lyly) in the film should get an oscar lol

When I saw The Hobbit with Atmos and the cave scene was pretty cool with the sound tracking at various part across the ceiling, I was thinking, instead of paying total attention to the movie, that a really cool horror effect would be to have the screen very dark, just shadows, and have these creepy sounds registering all around our hero/fodder/us. Just let the sounds and directional sounds creep us out.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #8 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

At the theater about to watch it. Its in atmos! http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos-details.html
Pretty limited in locations... I'd have to drive almost 2 hours to either A. get a shot of penicillin and go to San Fransicko or B. Get some body armor and go to Pittsburg. Guess I'll just see it in a regular theater frown.gif

My Rig

post #9 of 16 Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Pretty limited in locations... I'd have to drive almost 2 hours to either A. get a shot of penicillin and go to San Fransicko or B. Get some body armor and go to Pittsburg. Guess I'll just see it in a regular theater frown.gif

Awww frown.gif

I usually drive an hour to get to the local theater that has ATMOS. Like I said, I didn't even know my local theater had it lol Pleasant surprise!

post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw it on opening day. Creepy movie that had me keeping the lights on and the bedroom closet doors open for days biggrin.gif.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I have avoided Mama up to now because both the critics and the viewing public have had mixed opinions about it. Still it has a terrific cast and the legendarily un-pleasable critic Stephanie Zacharek liked it. I can't believe any film with both Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could be too bad, so may see it soon. ATMOS appears not to be in the cards. Insofar as I have been able to determine, no OKC theater has installed ATMOS.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not the best fulm but still very enjoyable. Chastain did a great job imho. Just saw her in take shelter (2011) today. She fits every role I've seen her in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have avoided Mama up to now because both the critics and the viewing public have had mixed opinions about it. Still it has a terrific cast and the legendarily un-pleasable critic Stephanie Zacharek liked it. I can't believe any film with both Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could be too bad, so may see it soon. ATMOS appears not to be in the cards. Insofar as I have been able to determine, no OKC theater has installed ATMOS.

post #13 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I saw it yesterday and greatly enjoyed it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I was amazed to see that the Mama character was not entirely CGI... That guy Javier Botet is rather creepy wink.gif From what I see he's also a funny guy and a talented actor.

Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau were both excellent, and the little girls, wow! It was scary, moving, thrilling and much, much more than your usual dumb PG-13 "horror" flick. I'll buy it on Blu-ray for sure. And since I always pay attention to the music, I was really pleased on that front too. At first I thought it was Javier Navarette who did it, but it wasn't him ; I didn't know this composer Fernando Velasquez and he did a great job. For once the "Guillermo Del Toro presents" was actually fitting, as some similarities with Pan's Labyrinth were very clear.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you catch this in a theater or on some VOD service? It's not playing in a theater near me anymore but I would spring for a VOD rent if it's available.

My Rig

post #15 of 16 Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Did you catch this in a theater or on some VOD service? It's not playing in a theater near me anymore but I would spring for a VOD rent if it's available.

It's still playing downtown Montreal, at its finest theater even. Great sound too. cool.gif I know you can already pre-order it on amazon but have no idea if it's available on VOD.

(oh and by the way I've rent both Silent Hill Revelation and Sinister... I'll report back soon wink.gif)
post #16 of 16 Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

It's still playing downtown Montreal, at its finest theater even. Great sound too. cool.gif I know you can already pre-order it on amazon but have no idea if it's available on VOD.

(oh and by the way I've rent both Silent Hill Revelation and Sinister... I'll report back soon wink.gif)
Interested to get your take on both!

My Rig

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page