An Officer and A Gentleman Soundtrack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Just watched An Officer and A Gentleman via Amazon Prime and it had a soundtrack that seemed to be Dolby Stereo. The Panasonic DMP-BDT220 can not do 5.1 from Amazon at this time so I do not know what the actual source track was.

I had this movie on LaserVision and have it on DVD and both versions are MONO. The ImDb list the soundtrack as MONO. There is a DVD on Amazon that list 5.1 as one of the audio options. The version on Amazon Prime does not sound like one of those typical mono to 5.1 redo’s, it sounds a lot more like a Dolby Stereo soundtrack from that era.

Does anyone know the details about this movies soundtrack?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The original theatrical 35mm prints were mono as well. No listing for Dolby in the end credits, either.

It's possible that Paramount did a 5.1 (or stereo) remix if they had the original elements handy and took the time & effort.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Just watched An Officer and A Gentleman via Amazon Prime and it had a soundtrack that seemed to be Dolby Stereo. The Panasonic DMP-BDT220 can not do 5.1 from Amazon at this time so I do not know what the actual source track was.

I had this movie on LaserVision and have it on DVD and both versions are MONO. The ImDb list the soundtrack as MONO. There is a DVD on Amazon that list 5.1 as one of the audio options. The version on Amazon Prime does not sound like one of those typical mono to 5.1 redo’s, it sounds a lot more like a Dolby Stereo soundtrack from that era.

Does anyone know the details about this movies soundtrack?

There was evidently a 2002 Paramount Special Edition DVD release that featured an optional Dolby Digital stereo soundtrack. Perhaps that's what you heard.

http://scatcat.fhsu.edu/~cafunk/Funk%20Movies/details/268.html

Then Paramount released an optional Dolby Digital 5.1 remix on their 2007 Special Edition DVD.

http://www.dvdmg.com/officerandagentlemanse.shtml

I'm still waiting on the Blu-ray release of this film.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And indeed I just took a brief look at this title on Amazon Prime using my Roku and it is the DD 5.1 remix they are using.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Last night I did the 2 min preview at VUDU and the soundtrack was DD 5.1 This is one of the few mono to 5.1 that really does make a big difference. I agree with the reviewer at DVD Movie Guide about soundtrack. Thanks Mr.G for the reference.

The supposedly HD video (HDX on VUDU, HD on Amazon) was a little better than the DVD. If this title ever makes its way to BD hopefully it will be a new and better film transfer.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night I did the 2 min preview at VUDU and the soundtrack was DD 5.1 This is one of the few mono to 5.1 that really does make a big difference. I agree with the reviewer at DVD Movie Guide about soundtrack. Thanks Mr.G for the reference.

The supposedly HD video (HDX on VUDU, HD on Amazon) was a little better than the DVD. If this title ever makes its way to BD hopefully it will be a new and better film transfer.

The DVD Movie Guide review says that the theatrical release print wasn't that great to begin with, I can't say since I first saw it on PPV back in the 80's. I did buy the laserdisc but didn't bother with any of the DVD releases.

I went back to watch this in its entirety on Amazon Prime last night and was fairly impressed with the picture and sound quality...although I was routing the Roku through my Darbee Darblet which provides additional clarity. In spite of the era in which it was produced I thought the movie and story still held up after 30+ years.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page