Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 278

Inside Llewyn Davis

"Inside Llewyn Davis" doesn't have official U.S. distribution or a 2013 release date just yet, but it's already one of the most anticipated films of the year. Now you can see why.

Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, "Inside Llewyn Davis" focuses on the fictional 1960s folk singer of the title (played by Oscar Isaac), a ne'er-do-well looking to get his big break. (Initial reports had the film based on the life of Dave Van Ronk, but that doesn't appear to be the case.) Isaac, best known for his brief role in "Drive," is the star of this show, but it's the supporting cast that should also have Coen brothers fans excited: Carey Mulligan -- wearing a mousy brown wig and spouting off incredible one-liners -- co-stars as Davis' ex; Justin Timberlake is her husband; and John Goodman, F. Murray Abraham, Adam Driver and Garrett Hedlund appear as well. (Early Oscar prediction: Expect Goodman to get serious consideration in the Best Supporting Actor category, just judging from this trailer.)

As Thompson on Hollywood reports, the trailer was sent out to media members along with an invite to watch "Inside Llewyn Davis" on the Sony lot. Scott Rudin is a producer of "Inside Llewyn Davis," but the film has not yet found a domestic distributer. Judging by the trailer, it shouldn't take too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
IMDB shows a Feb. 8 release date for this flick.

I noticed something a little odd about a movie the boys wrote called Gambit:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404978/
Apparently, it was released in Ireland in November, but doesn't have a U.S. release date yet?confused.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 29 Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

IMDB shows a Feb. 8 release date for this flick.

I noticed something a little odd about a movie the boys wrote called Gambit:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404978/
Apparently, it was released in Ireland in November, but doesn't have a U.S. release date yet?confused.gif

Added info above.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Inside Llewyn Davis finally opened in Tulsa and I recently got around to seeing it. Although there is no such thing as a bad Coen brothers' film, I thought this one fell a bit short of the incredibly high standards we have come to expect from the boys. Their protagonist, the title character who is a '60s New York folk singer, is prickly, to say the least, and a particularly nasty fellow when he drinks too much. The music, though, was wonderful and John Goodman's cameo was worth the price of admission. smile.gif 7 Stars out of 10.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Inside Llewyn Davis finally opened in Tulsa and I recently got around to seeing it. Although there is no such thing as a bad Coen brothers' film, I thought this one fell a bit short of the incredibly high standards we have come to expect from the boys. Their protagonist, the title character who is a '60s New York folk singer, is prickly, to say the least, and a particularly nasty fellow when he drinks too much. The music, though, was wonderful and John Goodman's cameo was worth the price of admission. smile.gif 7 Stars out of 10.
I had a suspicion that might be the case.
The trailers make me think it could be 2nd Tier CB (i.e., A Serious Man and Ladykillers).

They haven't hit one out of the park in awhile.frown.gif
Many thought TG was top of the mark for the boys, but I didn't.

post #6 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had a suspicion that might be the case.
The trailers make me think it could be 2nd Tier CB (i.e., A Serious Man and Ladykillers).

They haven't hit one out of the park in awhile.frown.gif
Many thought TG was top of the mark for the boys, but I didn't.

You may recall that I thought True Grit was a masterpiece. It was filled with luminous performances, none better that Hailee Steinfeld's as little Mattie Ross. One of the most memorable performances to me was Elizabeth Marvel's brief appearance as the 40 year old Mattie. But then I have always loved Charles Portis' book and harbored resentful feelings for the way it was butchered in the 1969 film version, John Wayne's great Oscar winning performance as Rooster Cogburn notwithstanding. As to the standing of Inside Llewyn Davis in the Coen brothers' pantheon of films. I too compared it to A Serious Man, another good but far from great film. I liked The Ladykillers better than either of the other two but is fell short too, just not quite as short.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You may recall that I thought True Grit was a masterpiece. It was filled with luminous performances, none better that Hailee Steinfeld's as little Mattie Ross. One of the most memorable performances to me was Elizabeth Marvel's brief appearance as the 40 year old Mattie. But then I have always loved Charles Portis' book and harbored resentful feelings for the way it was butchered in the 1969 film version, John Wayne's great Oscar winning performance as Rooster Cogburn notwithstanding. As to the standing of Inside Llewyn Davis in the Coen brothers' pantheon of films. I too compared it to A Serious Man, another good but far from great film. I liked The Ladykillers better than either of the other two but is fell short too, just not quite as short.
FWIW, I do like Ladykillers more than A Serious Man (which is a film I consider to be more of a home movie for the Coen family than anything else).

post #8 of 29 Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW, Street Date for the BD/DVD is March 11.

post #9 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This movie was a let down for me. Not funny enough to be a comedy (only eliciting a few meager chuckles) and not touching or profound enough to be a solid drama, it occupies an odd spot. The characters weren't particularly interesting or deep. The story meanders, but not in a good way. It didn't even evoke a strong sense of the era, in either the environment or music. Frankly, I had no idea of what the usually reliable Coen brothers were going after with this one.

I first started losing interest it when
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
he found the missing cat. As soon as he left the restaurant, I said to my wife that it was the wrong cat. Yes, a very minor part of the story, but indicative of a script that was short of innovation and imagination.

It's as though the brothers didn't really have a strong interest in the backstory or the history of that part of the folk movement.

The acting was solid all around. The cinematography was also quite good. I was kind of surprised that it received an Oscar nomination for Best Sound Mixing. While it didn't come across as poor, it also didn't stand out in any way. It wasn't particularly inventing or involving, especially for a movie centered around the music business.

While I really liked A Serious Man, this move doesn't even compare.

Worth a rental for those who are curious, but I wouldn't consider it a big loss if I'd never seen it.

As the guy in the movie says, "I don't see a lot of money here."

Scott

post #10 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38
For me the film was brilliant.Old enough to be around during that era i thought the film nailed the whole feel of that time.The ending was brilliantly understated.

Matt
post #11 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

This movie was a let down for me. Not funny enough to be a comedy (only eliciting a few meager chuckles) and not touching or profound enough to be a solid drama, it occupies an odd spot. The characters weren't particularly interesting or deep. The story meanders, but not in a good way. It didn't even evoke a strong sense of the era, in either the environment or music. Frankly, I had no idea of what the usually reliable Coen brothers were going after with this one.

I first started losing interest it when
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
he found the missing cat. As soon as he left the restaurant, I said to my wife that it was the wrong cat. Yes, a very minor part of the story, but indicative of a script that was short of innovation and imagination.

It's as though the brothers didn't really have a strong interest in the backstory or the history of that part of the folk movement.

The acting was solid all around. The cinematography was also quite good. I was kind of surprised that it received an Oscar nomination for Best Sound Mixing. While it didn't come across as poor, it also didn't stand out in any way. It wasn't particularly inventing or involving, especially for a movie centered around the music business.

While I really liked A Serious Man, this move doesn't even compare.

Worth a rental for those who are curious, but I wouldn't consider it a big loss if I'd never seen it.

As the guy in the movie says, "I don't see a lot of money here."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

For me the film was brilliant.Old enough to be around during that era i thought the film nailed the whole feel of that time.The ending was brilliantly understated.
FWIW, I'll be firing up this one in a few minutes....will post a review later tonite (BTW, I am a huge CB fan wink.gif).

post #12 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

FWIW, I'll be firing up this one in a few minutes....will post a review later tonite (BTW, I am a huge CB fan wink.gif).

Hope you enjoy it. As noted in earlier posts, Inside Llewyn Davis disappointed me a bit but that was mostly because of the high expectations I have for every Coen brothers' film. Really want to hear what you think of the film.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think I share the sentiment of several here already. I always have high expectations for Coen bros. movies, but this one upon first viewing just wasn't that enjoyable. Perhaps some subsequent viewings will resonate a little more. It probably doesn't help that i don't care for folk music that much.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hope you enjoy it. As noted in earlier posts, Inside Llewyn Davis disappointed me a bit but that was mostly because of the high expectations I have for every Coen brothers' film. Really want to hear what you think of the film.
As fate would have it, my NF copy was damaged and won't play.
However, I ordered a replacement....should be here Tuesday.

post #15 of 29 Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post

I think I share the sentiment of several here already. I always have high expectations for Coen bros. movies, but this one upon first viewing just wasn't that enjoyable. Perhaps some subsequent viewings will resonate a little more. It probably doesn't help that i don't care for folk music that much.

Glad I'm not alone. I did like the music a lot but thought I missed something and watched it again. Still didn't grab me. I agree maybe some further viewings it will click.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tried to watch last night.

This is my biggest CB disappointment.
I have now idea why they made this movie.
Although I didn't think much of A Serious Man or True Grit, they are masterpieces compared to this turd.
I guess even The Mighty can lay one now and then...

The main character is about as uninteresting as the goop between my hooves.
The story is something of a re-imagining of the early career of Bob Dylan fell completely flat with me.
I just didn't care.

post #17 of 29 Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although I didn't think much of A Serious Man or True Grit, they are masterpieces compared to this turd.

The story is something of a re-imagining of the early career of Bob Dylan fell completely flat with me.
I just didn't care.

If it were from the cat's perspective it'd be better.
post #18 of 29 Old 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

If it were from the cat's perspective it'd be better.
True.tongue.gif

post #19 of 29 Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just didn't care.

Your reaction is about what I expected. As you know, there is no more ardent fan of the Coen's work than I but Inside Llewyn Davis often bored me. I suspect that much of that was due to my not having not much liked the music and having been turned off by the title character's actions. After all, who wants to see a film about a drunk with anger management issues? smile.gif
post #20 of 29 Old 03-19-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your reaction is about what I expected. As you know, there is no more ardent fan of the Coen's work than I but Inside Llewyn Davis often bored me. I suspect that much of that was due to my not having not much liked the music and having been turned off by the title character's actions. After all, who wants to see a film about a drunk with anger management issues? smile.gif
It looked and felt like they were catering to a group I call hipsters.

G44
post #21 of 29 Old 03-19-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After all, who wants to see a film about a drunk with anger management issues? smile.gif
Exactly.
Besides I live that life anyways......

Quote:

It looked and felt like they were catering to a group I call hipsters.
To be honest, I'm not sure who they were going after....all I know is it was hard to stay awake.wink.gif

post #22 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Going to watch this tomorrow, i've heard mixed reactions about the movie from my friends but i like what The Coen brothers have done in the past so will give this a chance.
post #23 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

Going to watch this tomorrow, i've heard mixed reactions about the movie from my friends but i like what The Coen brothers have done in the past so will give this a chance.
Come back and tell us what you think after watching it.

post #24 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly.
Besides I live that life anyways......
To be honest, I'm not sure who they were going after....all I know is it was hard to stay awake.wink.gif

My first watch left me in a similar fashion. However, considering the other work of the Brothers I did it again one morning over coffee, that slower paced did it more justice. It's hard to describe and saying that it's well made (it is) feels weird because so much of it kind of blows regarding the lead guy. If they were going for a story about a loser they won but much else being read into it is really reaching, for me at least. I read several pieces of high praise for the waste of skin from Girls and I wept for the future and for the new Star Wars. I guess, on further thought, it's for the types of people who Girls is about except set in the past where they would have been executed in the street before any real harm was done to society. I actually think Timberlake did himself a disservice or lost a bet somewhere. I did enjoy the music and tried to like the movie but it just did not connect.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My first watch left me in a similar fashion. However, considering the other work of the Brothers I did it again one morning over coffee, that slower paced did it more justice. It's hard to describe and saying that it's well made (it is) feels weird because so much of it kind of blows regarding the lead guy. If they were going for a story about a loser they won but much else being read into it is really reaching, for me at least. I read several pieces of high praise for the waste of skin from Girls and I wept for the future and for the new Star Wars. I guess, on further thought, it's for the types of people who Girls is about except set in the past where they would have been executed in the street before any real harm was done to society. I actually think Timberlake did himself a disservice or lost a bet somewhere. I did enjoy the music and tried to like the movie but it just did not connect.
Exactly.
Why would anyone want to watch a movie about a guy who is such an absolute waste of flesh that it's nearly impossible to have any empathy for or develop an interest in his story?
Here I thought A Serious Man was a swing and a miss....sheesh.rolleyes.gif

While watching it, the only thing I could think of is why DID the CBs make this movie in the first place?????
The only answer I can come up with is there is tremor in the CB Force, or their Muse is partying hardy on Maui, or maybe they have been watching too many Woody Allen movies.

post #26 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly.
Why would anyone want to watch a movie about a guy who is such an absolute waste of flesh that it's nearly impossible to have any empathy for or develop an interest in his story?
Here I thought A Serious Man was a swing and a miss....sheesh.rolleyes.gif

While watching it, the only thing I could think of is why DID the CBs make this movie in the first place?????
The only answer I can come up with is there is tremor in the CB Force, or their Muse is partying hardy on Maui, or maybe they have been watching too many Woody Allen movies.

My theory, given the current state of affairs with so many losers, is that they (hipsters) have built or been gifted time travel through some twist of fate or cruel joke and traveled back in time to ensure their survival. We are now at peak hipster and the tinkering with the timeline will probably accelerate our demise into Idiocracy or First Contact (we nuke ourselves stupid before the Vulcans find us). The endgame being that future hipsters can tell their kids how awesome they were and that great film makers even told their stories. When in reality the skinny jeans damaged their dangly male bits and none of their beards mighty power could counter that. Faced with an all female population on the brink of extinction they wanted to make sure the last of us real men would never drive Jagers and kill giant monsters because PETA frowned upon it and they could no longer stomach dudes being dudes. Further evidence of this timeline being modified include the Twilightification of Vampires, the HBO series Girls, trophies for everybody, Chris Hardwick, and watching movies on phones being ok.

Freaking Twinkies got canceled and rebooted....the signs are all there my man.
thrak76 likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My theory, given the current state of affairs with so many losers, is that they (hipsters) have built or been gifted time travel through some twist of fate or cruel joke and traveled back in time to ensure their survival. We are now at peak hipster and the tinkering with the timeline will probably accelerate our demise into Idiocracy or First Contact (we nuke ourselves stupid before the Vulcans find us). The endgame being that future hipsters can tell their kids how awesome they were and that great film makers even told their stories. When in reality the skinny jeans damaged their dangly male bits and none of their beards mighty power could counter that. Faced with an all female population on the brink of extinction they wanted to make sure the last of us real men would never drive Jagers and kill giant monsters because PETA frowned upon it and they could no longer stomach dudes being dudes. Further evidence of this timeline being modified include the Twilightification of Vampires, the HBO series Girls, trophies for everybody, Chris Hardwick, and watching movies on phones being ok.

Freaking Twinkies got canceled and rebooted....the signs are all there my man.
My God....I'll have whatever you're drinking tonite.tongue.gif
darthrsg likes this.

post #28 of 29 Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My God....I'll have whatever you're drinking tonite.tongue.gif

The drinks are flowing. It's been a long week of fighting with my HOA.
post #29 of 29 Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I completely agree. I really enjoy the Coen brothers' film but this one left me hanging a bit. But the music was just amazing and I was really impressed by Oscar Isaac. I also really like Carey Mulligan but she was trying way too hard in my opinion. Still I really liked it.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page