J.J. Abrams to Direct new Star Wars? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How do you feel about JJ Abrams directing the new Star Wars films?
Very Interested ( think he is the best choice) 40 59.70%
Interested (You would prefer someone else, but still like Abram's work) 15 22.39%
Meh (Dont really want Abrams directing it but still will see the film) 10 14.93%
Peeved(Hate that Abrams is directing the new films) 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 285 Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/26/16713684-jj-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-fans-rejoice?lite

What do you guys think about this?

In all honesty I think that he is the best choice. With Super 8 I think he really captured the old sci-fi movie feel like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "E.T." that he was trying to pay tribute to with the film.

With Star Trek, he may have gone away from what the original formula was for the series and I know sum fans think that he "dumbed it down" but he successfully brought the franchise back to life.

As long as he keeps the lens flares in check, which i think worked really well in other films, he will be very successful. Star Wars has always had a filming style almost all it's own with the panning scene changes that I can't remember seeing in other films.

Anyways, what are your guys' take on it? Are you excited to see what is to come or unsure?

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 285 Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Could he do worse than the three most recent installments? I think that's unlikely and I say give him a chance.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3 of 285 Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Could he do worse than the three most recent installments? I think that's unlikely and I say give him a chance.

-Bill

Haha! I don't think they could be worse than episode 1-3. While I find those films entertaining, they just are not the same as 4-6, the way I see is they are more effects driven while 4-6 are story driven.

post #4 of 285 Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I for one am quite intrigued at how this will turn out. My biggest question mark branding related. The Star Wars films have a certain style to them and Abrams has his own certain style. So I wonder if he'll stick to his style of portrayal or give way to the existing saga's visual style? I personally like the look of Abrams films but there definitely would not be a seamless feel to the franchise. Good? Bad? I really don't know, but what I do know, or what I do expect is a strong story concept.
post #5 of 285 Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Got to have time travel and alternate time lines, don't you think? Everyone's doing it.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6 of 285 Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

I for one am quite intrigued at how this will turn out. My biggest question mark branding related. The Star Wars films have a certain style to them and Abrams has his own certain style. So I wonder if he'll stick to his style of portrayal or give way to the existing saga's visual style?
If he shows up to the game with ALFS and/or quick cuts, and/or shakey-cam, I absolutely positively guarantee Star Wardom will SCREAM bloody murder and demand his head on a spike.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #7 of 285 Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If he shows up to the game with ALFS and/or quick cuts, and/or shakey-cam, I absolutely positively guarantee Star Wardom will SCREAM bloody murder and demand his head on a spike.wink.gif

I for one think that will NOT happen, as Abrams has way too much respect for SW. While those among the hardcore Trekkies may not have cared for his making a "Trek film for SW fans", fans of the latter should probably not be too worried that he will stray far from what came before (at least in the look/vibe of things, particularly that of the Original Trilogy)

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #8 of 285 Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The fact that Abrams is a fan of Star Wars is probably one of the biggest benefits in my eyes.

I have grown up enjoying the different Trek films and tv shows and honestly saw no problem with the new film. Sure it was a little more sci-fi action like, but i think it still captured the feel of the previous films. However, I am not a die hard trek fan that goes to trek conventions...

post #9 of 285 Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I for one think that will NOT happen, as Abrams has way too much respect for SW. While those among the hardcore Trekkies may not have cared for his making a "Trek film for SW fans", fans of the latter should probably not be too worried that he will stray far from what came before (at least in the look/vibe of things, particularly that of the Original Trilogy)
We can hope....wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

The fact that Abrams is a fan of Star Wars is probably one of the biggest benefits in my eyes.

I have grown up enjoying the different Trek films and tv shows and honestly saw no problem with the new film. Sure it was a little more sci-fi action like, but i think it still captured the feel of the previous films. However, I am not a die hard trek fan that goes to trek conventions...
I thought he did a good job with ST, but he lost one "star" from me for his silly and unnecessary use of ALFS.

post #10 of 285 Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

However, I am not a die hard trek fan that goes to trek conventions...

wink.gif

post #11 of 285 Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
It will be interesting to see where he takes it, I will be looking forward to it.

Frank

post #12 of 285 Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Correction: If he shows up to the game with lens flares and/or quick cuts, and/or shaky-cam, half a dozen whiners on the internet will SCREAM bloody murder and demand his head on a pike.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #13 of 285 Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Correction: If he shows up to the game with lens flares and/or quick cuts, and/or shaky-cam, half a dozen whiners on the internet will SCREAM bloody murder and demand his head on a pike.
Seriously or are you just funnin' me?

post #14 of 285 Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

At least 3 of 'em will be AVS Forum members!

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #15 of 285 Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

+1

At least 3 of 'em will be AVS Forum members!
A lot more than that....

Remember how the SW Geekdom went nuts when GL sprinkled a bit of CGI into the OT?wink.gif

post #16 of 285 Old 02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A lot more than that....

Remember how the SW Geekdom went nuts when GL sprinkled a bit of CGI into the OT?wink.gif

Not the same thing.

The number of people worldwide who have a raging hatred of Abrams' lens flares can be counted on my fingers and toes.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #17 of 285 Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not the same thing.

The number of people worldwide who have a raging hatred of Abrams' lens flares can be counted on my fingers and toes.
DON'T turn this into a math issue...you know how I get.biggrin.gif

post #18 of 285 Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DON'T turn this into a math issue...you know how I get.biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #19 of 285 Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

smile.gif
LOL, always quick with your numbers.tongue.gif

post #20 of 285 Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here ya go, sports fans:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60757

post #21 of 285 Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here ya go, sports fans:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60757

Disney, Pixar & Lucasfilm present.....STAR WARS ORIGINS: YODA.

Summer 2017!!! wink.gif

OTOH - this could be good news for those pining for a Joe Johnston-directed Boba Fett flick.

post #22 of 285 Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

HuffPost Entertainment piece both comparing/discussing the 3 people who have to date helmed a SW film as well as listing why Abrams is actually overqualified for the job (not that his being so is a bad thing). A good read with some quotes from Joe Johnston, Jeremy Bulloch (OT Boba Fett) & the late, great Irvin Kershner.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ryan/jj-abrams-star-wars_b_2617090.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Won't re-post the whole thing here - but some bits...
Quote:
Neither Kershner nor Marquand were an obvious choice to direct Star Wars, though one made a masterpiece and one made a relatively good Star Wars movie. I mean, compared to Kershner, Marquand and even Lucas, J.J. Abrams brings with him the strongest pre-Star Wars résumé -- by far. In the mid-'70s, Lucas was pretty much an independent filmmaker with just two small films to his name, THX-1138 and American Graffiti. Kershner focused on the story and characters, which is what makes Empire great -- in other words: the effects are just there to support the characters. But that combination (i.e. his lack of visual effects knowledge) could have gone horribly wrong.

[Joe] Johnston continued: "For Jedi, [Lucas] may have wanted to make sure he had a director who was a little more amenable to George's requests, but this is all conjecture on my part. We saw a lot more of Marquand in pre- and post-production than we saw of Kershner -- I got the sense he was very much interested in the process itself, the creation of the visual effects. George's attitude has always been that the film is made in the cutting room and production is a process of assembling the raw material. My guess is that George saw Marquand as a guy who could go out and amass the great-looking footage that George would mold into the film in post."

And, yes, then there's the fact that Abrams has directed two Star Trek movies. I only mention this because this is the Internet, so I have to. Who cares? If Robert Wise had been chosen to direct Jedi, would anyone have given a ****? Other than to point out, "We will probably get a boring Star Wars movie but, boy, that 20-minute shot of the Millennium Falcon will be gorgeous." (These would be the lens-flare jokes of 1983.) Other than the fact that Trek enhances Abrams' résumé - an impressive one that also includes Mission Impossible 3 and Super 8 -- I don't see why this should be an issue for anyone.

I'm not saying Abrams is guaranteed to direct a great Star Wars movie, but the signs are good: he has his own headstrong style (like Kershner), loves strong characters (like Kershner) and possesses a vast knowledge of special effects (like Lucas). At this point, I just don't understand how any Star Wars fan wouldn't be excited about Abrams, considering he's the first director in the history of the franchise who, you know, is actually qualified.

post #23 of 285 Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just read the entire link.cool.gif

post #24 of 285 Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
wow, they just got the rights a couple of months ago and disney's going all marvel on us.

chris pratt to star as yoda....

neflixis our nemesis
post #25 of 285 Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Some spinoff - yet non-character specific - info from the Mouse House, via E! Online, posted today

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20130206/b385457/
Quote:
Ready for some brand-new lore?

A new hope became a reality today when Disney CEO Robert Iger confirmed that the studio is going to be making a number of Star Wars spinoff films in addition to the planned trilogy that will pick up after the action of Return of the Jedi.

"We are working on a few stand-alone films, derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga," the chief executive said in a sit-down with CNBC.

Lawrence Kasdan, who penned Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg are working on the new projects as well as consulting with J.J. Abrams, who, after giving fans the slick run-around about his intentions, recently confirmed that he is directing Episode VII .

"The implications for Star Wars fans will be great," Iger promised—though he would not divulge details about which characters would be getting the feature treatment, saying he would leave the creative process to executive producer Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm.

"We have these great opportunities," he said, "because there are these good ideas out there and good creators interested in fleshing out these ideas, and we're going for it."

Maybe Joe Johnston will get a shot @ that Boba Fett movie after all.......and I wonder if the supposed writing that was going on for the long-talked about live action TV series (which was also to be "derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga") ends up on the big screen instead.

post #26 of 285 Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Boba Fett and Yoda spinoffs would be great. It would also be interesting to see other spinoffs for Han Solo before Episode IV and then maybe a few others. However, Boba Fett would be one of the most interesting in my opinion.

post #27 of 285 Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt we see main character spinoffs, save for Yoda or maybe one or both main droids - which could conceivably also end up as animated features, and certainly do not require the original actors to actually appear on screen (save for Anthony Daniels or an equally thin actor in the gold suit). While the old Han Solo novels (hell, even the 1 or 2 Lando Calrissian books) from the 70s/80s could make for cool stand alone films, they would surely need to recast (blasphemy) or perhaps do them as animated movies (PIXAR could chime in on these...)

Johnston had stated some time back that he would love/have loved the opportunity to fashion a Boba Fett-centric movie. To me, it seems Boba would be an obvious choice, given both his iconic status as well as being a nice consolation prize for those SW nerds still unhappy about how the badass bounty hunter went out in JEDI. As well, the EU novels that covered Fett's post-ROTJ fate (spoiler: he did not die in the Sarlaac Pit) could certainly be adapted. Granted, this might still steam some purists, as you know any Fett films will have him w/ a Kiwi accent.

Lucas mentioned in the press several times post-ROTS (as did PT producer Rick McCallum) that preliminary work & writing were underway for a massive live action TV project that would include mostly background/minor SW characters, take place in the years btwn ROTS & ANH & likely deal with the criminal underworld hinted at with Jabba the Hutt. If in fact writing did actually happen, I could see DIsney wanting to instead use some of these ideas for spin-off films.

post #28 of 285 Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Boba Fett and Yoda spinoffs would be great. It would also be interesting to see other spinoffs for Han Solo before Episode IV and then maybe a few others. However, Boba Fett would be one of the most interesting in my opinion.
Yoda and Fett spinoffs don't do it for me.

Yoda is an interesting supporting character, but I can't see "him" as the lead in a standalone movie.

Boba Fett, as revealed in the prequels, was a crashing bore IMO.

post #29 of 285 Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

Yoda is an interesting supporting character, but I can't see "him" as the lead in a standalone movie.

Boba Fett, as revealed in the prequels, was The prequels were a crashing bore IMO.

+1. They both are supporting characters. Everyone loved Boba Fett because he had a cool suit but the guy is rather empty in terms of character depth...
Yoda is not supposed to be a leading "man". Ridiculous this sounds. wink.gif

...oh and I took the liberty to fix your last sentence as well biggrin.gif
post #30 of 285 Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Boba Fett, as revealed in the prequels, was a crashing bore IMO.

I can see Yoda fronting a "kid's movie" - i.e something either Disney and/or Lucasfilms' animation studios - or even PIXAR - could get involved in. Not saying I think it is a brilliant idea, but it doesn't seem to stretch believability when considering Yoda is now a Disney property.

I also would not be surprised if Disney continues their tradition of placing a short film in front of their new SW films as they have with their own films & PIXAR's forever. Animated Yoda short before Ep VII, anyone? Hell, these spin offs could lead to not much more than that.

Regardless of his PT backstory, I could see Fett getting fleshed out in a stand alone action flick. While I have not read much of the EU stuff, I am familiar with KW Jeter's Fett-centric Bounty Hunter Trilogy published in 1998 - it certainly put a soul in the suit and depicted some of his history as well as what happened after he blasted his way out of the Sarlaac Pit (off screen, of course). Jeter's novels also tied in with the Shadows of the Empire multimedia project from the mid-90s, utilizing the Prince Xizor character from that story. There have apparently been more recent young adult books delving into Boba's backstory & post AOTC activities. Again, these are things Disney could co-opt if they go the Boba Fett route.

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page