Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Didn't see a thread, so....

I watched this one last night and enjoyed it a lot. It's one of those simple, gentle sorts of romantic dramadies but indie level so it doesn't have to be completely cookie cutter stuff. It's got a similar feel and settings as "The Shipping News", for instance, so if you liked that you'd like this one. But it's more quirky.

It's the story of a guy who moved to Newfinland and set up a bar/restaurant on the coast, perhaps as a means of escapng from the rate race and a marriage gone downhill though that's not said specifically. But it's just sitting there empty and he's about to bail out when his neighbor, who is a man of many schemes, comes up with an idea to get the traffic going again. Willam Hurt plays the lead character, and is good as always. There's also a love interest with his neighbor's wife's sister, played by Molly Parker, who is quite pretty in this roll, with nice curley red hair and she also does a good job.

There are a number of things going on, most of them driven by the neighbor's scheming, so despite it being a pretty small scale human drama, there are various plots brewing which make for some very funny situations. A user review on IMDB I guess summed it up pretty well:
Quote:
What does a recovered package of cocaine, a gourmet restaurant in the middle of nowhere, two of the most delightful and oddest friends I've ever met, the most naturally sexy redhead I've ever seen, Svetkoff Lights, a 1200 pound ultra-light submarine, an extinct species of duck, and undercover agents from the RCP have in common?

So, obviously not just a little romantic dramadie in the traditional sense. But it still never gets unrelalistic at all, despite the above description.

Anyhoo, I liked it a lot and recommend it if you are into these types of flicks.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page